As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games Workshop and the Nerdy Business Nerdery

MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock EngineerSeattleRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Critical Failures
I find this stuff fascinating, so figured I'd give a new thread a shot. GW's half-yearly financials are out.

Sales continue to decline as they have in recent years, though it's finally outpacing the amount of cost reduction they're doing. A lot of this seems tied to the US and UK markets switching to the new "single manager, reduced hours" model. What I find interesting about this is that regions that completed the transition in prior periods (Continental Europe and Australia) are apparently trending upward in sales.

I suspect that this shows that GW is moving away from the "spam malls and push short-term starter set sales" strategy, focusing more on word of mouth and communities built in the same way as independent retailers. While I don't imagine we'd see the return of metal album reviews in White Dwarf, I'd like to think it points to continued investment in hobbyist stuff; Forge World and Warhammer Forge, less Magic-like combo heavy gameplay, even less focus on tournaments or official play.

Or maybe that's all just wishful thinking. I do wish *any* other hobby game company published as detailed results (or were public in the first place). It'd be cool to see what the industry really looks like.

snm_sig.jpg
Morskittar on