As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Umm, I make art stuffs.

DefyAllLogicDefyAllLogic Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
kind of dumping i suppose. they're all considered finished but I would love suggestions and input on how to improve specifically or overall. (still working on praticeing (spelling...) drawing from life, photos, etc. so nothing good enough to call finished from that sector.)

Thanks for taking the time to Look and/or Comment! :D

Models:
StillGood_Bot
ModelStillGoodBot1Front.jpg
ModelStillGoodBot2profile.jpg
ModelStillGoodBot3Backside1.jpg
Fat_Bot
ModelFatBot3Smile.jpg
ModelFatBot2Angle.jpg
ModelFatBot1.jpg
Friend_Bot
ModelLoveBot2.jpg

www.tavialewis.com

http://defyalllogic.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

Ray: Freestyle is for moronic little kids and hippie freaks.
Molly Gunn: It's fun.
Ray: Fundamentals are the building blocks of fun.
DefyAllLogic on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Stencils:

StencilShesScreamingPrintPinkMeta.jpg
    StencilSexyLadyPrintMetaPink.jpg
    StencilLiseLookingPrint.jpg
    StencilColeDownPrint.jpg
    StencilCindyLooksChanPrint.jpg
    StencilAmandaCanPinkPrint.jpg
    000_0366.jpg

Paintings (some overlap with stencils... such is the delima of categories :? ):

000_0382.jpg
    PaintBFF.jpg
    PaintElectricLove.jpg

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    edited February 2007
    These are a story. A Love Story.

Part one: She think's she's the Queen and rules over all of her things. But robots, no matter how hard they try to love, are devious and destructive by nature. he was plotting.
    Paint1LoveStoryOne.jpg

Part Two: She never so it comming. She never saw him going.
    Paint2LoveStoryTwoAndThree.jpg

Part three: And they lived Happily ever after. Because it's a Love Story. Bot Says: It's OK to kill for love... There's math about it some where.
    Bear Says: OK, i suppose.
    Paint3LoveStoryConclusion.jpg

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    edited February 2007
    nothing? :cry:

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I dunno, not much to critique. Looks nice, but there's not a lot of substance there to grab on to.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I dunno, not much to critique. Looks nice, but there's not a lot of substance there to grab on to.

Same here. What specifically do you want us to analyze here?

Would really help.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    well that's a good cirt. I spent so much time getting the style down that i didn't realize they were boring/lacking substance. things need contetxt...

working on something new. :shock:

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    edited February 2007
    A Dead one of These.
    Adeadoneofthese.jpg

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but this isn't really what I would call art.

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    JonisJonis Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but this isn't really what I would call art.

I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but you are ignorant.

The little sculptures are neat. I love the roundish robot. The stencils could use a lot of work, try researching stencil art and see the amazing urban artists, ie Banksy(the best, imo).

Are you in high school? The emo robot subject it a little tedious, try expanding your interests a little, or just focusing on more poetic stories rather than a breakup, etc. If you want to just stick to robots, just keep at it and try doing more interesting sculptures/stencils.

Jonis on
  • Options
    MertzyMertzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Jonis wrote: »
    I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but you are ignorant.

Slow down there, partner. I'm pretty sure he was referring to the most recent post, not the previous ones. I'm going to agree with him, too.

Mertzy on
    THE END.
  • Options
    more_cowbellmore_cowbell Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Im sorry-
    I just dont get the bue blobs.
    It seems like you you are trying to capture something profond, something subliminally evidet, however, you are coming up short. Do as I do before I write a song: set some time apart to just sit and think aabout your topic. You may want to find a corner in your house, or go out into town, but by any means, you need to meditate on your topic more. You have your style down, now use it.

more_cowbell on
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
  • Options
    BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Except for the blue bobs... I really like these. They're cute. I can see them on the walls of some hip young burger joint or something.

Believe on
  • Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2007
    I find all of the stencil pieces to be pretty dull. The colour choices aren't interesting since they're all pretty much in the same colour range as the stencil paint. The love story bit is just ridiculous. If it's meant as a joke then it's not coming across like that. If it's meant to be meaningful in any way then your point is not being conveyed at all. I disagree with seeing these being hanged in a hip burger joint. But that's just personal opinion. I'd imagine seeing these in a very young highschool art class project at my old highschool. There's some defininite potential but I think you just made some random stencils and decided to make something with them rather than making stencils with the purpose of making something specific. I'm not saying that all art needs purpose, but in this case you could certainly use some since you're trying to use design elements. Design has purpose. Also, the blue blobs are simplistic and vibrant but I don't think they work well on their own. I think that they look like a good start to a more complicated piece of work. Try taking that concept and building on it.

Grifter on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really liked the style used to draw up the kid with glasses stencil. Lips, eyes and eye brows a just "hip," if that's an accurate way to describe it.

I like. That one has an appropriate level of detail for what I would see as a minimalist piece...but the others are lacking a bit of substance body-wise.

But then again, I don't study art. This is coming from someone who just likes to look at pretty pictures.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, people who don't have degrees in art are just not qualified to judge it.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gafoto wrote: »

I'm getting a degree in about 2 months... can I... can I say the blue thingies aren't art?

I won't say they aren't art because they are in the loosest of sense. I'll just say I'm not getting it and Artist Corner isn't really a conceptual art kind of place so things like might might not fly too well here.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Im sorry-
    I just dont get the bue blobs.
    It seems like you you are trying to capture something profond, something subliminally evidet, however, you are coming up short. Do as I do before I write a song: set some time apart to just sit and think aabout your topic. You may want to find a corner in your house, or go out into town, but by any means, you need to meditate on your topic more. You have your style down, now use it.

it's not profound at all actually. it's super simple. like in cartoons or with insects, things flip over when they die... it's a joke i herd in 6th grade. i like kid jokes. :o)
    (it's watercolored... does that make it more art?)

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    edited February 2007

sure they are. i think they're just called the audience though. ;o)

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    edited February 2007

I'm getting a degree in about 2 months... can I... can I say the blue thingies aren't art?

I won't say they aren't art because they are in the loosest of sense. I'll just say I'm not getting it and Artist Corner isn't really a conceptual art kind of place so things like might might not fly too well here.

i see what you're saying about the community style. but it is an art community all the same and although opinions tend to be harsh they tend to be helpful too. I usually just doodle and I'm still working on developing a "style" or sense of "the rules". I'm taking my classes and trying to practice are try everything i can.

I realized that the stencils were pedestrian (one lesson learned, 1 million to go.) and lacking substance or content... but i also learned to make stencils (minimally)!

All your suggestions and comments are actually really helpful and hopefully I'll be able to post some progressed pieces.

And the blue things... I'd hope they're more art than that French guy who turned the urinal upside down and scribbled "r mutt" on it, yes?

(i didn't like the love story either but it took a lot of time so...)

SkyGheNe - Thank you!

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i think people would have an easier time if there was more direction. you said yourself the style is there. they are pleasing to look at and they do bring a sort of "yes, that looks right" feeling but they seem to lack a "that makes sense" aspect that people grab onto when witnessing art.
    they have the look of iconic symbols and pop art variations without the anchor of presence.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

And the blue things... I'd hope they're more art than that French guy who turned the urinal upside down and scribbled "r mutt" on it, yes?

I swear Duchamp did that just to see how many people would be like "okay... if you say it's art... it's art I guess. GENIUS!!!"

Duchamp was obviously successful in that venture of the Readymade.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I swear Duchamp did that just to see how many people would be like "okay... if you say it's art... it's art I guess. GENIUS!!!"

well, wasn't that part of the idea? to point out the absurdity of the art scene?

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

well, wasn't that part of the idea? to point out the absurdity of the art scene?

I dunno, was it?

I mean, he had to fight to even get the piece in the exhibition because people were saying it wasn't art. So something was lost in translation of his idea then cause if not, people wouldn't of questioned it being an art or not.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »

I dunno, was it?

I mean, he had to fight to even get the piece in the exhibition because people were saying it wasn't art. So something was lost in translation of his idea then cause if not, people wouldn't of questioned it being an art or not.

yeah, i remember that he had to fight about it. but im forgetting the details. could someone please remind me? i thought he had submitted it as someone else, knowing that submitting it as himself it would go in automatically.
    but then, the reason i always did so poorly in my art history courses was my inability to keep stories straight and confabulate from the information i could remember.
    although, i don't see any of this going counter to what anyone has said here.
    even more off topic: this discussion reminds me of the PBS doc about the older woman submitting her art for show. i wish i could remember the name. it ruled.

PatboyX on
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I felt like showing my face again...

FacesV2.jpg

the brown one started as a doodle self portrait. (from sketchbook to illustrator)

WIP:
    geek.jpg

Endangered Species Project:
    giantsquidwithheartfinalVERTICAL.jpg

The Original:
    Picture210.jpg

The Illustrator tracings:
    vectortaviawatchforzombiesrbg.jpg
    vectortaviaredgunmetalrbg.jpg

I'm super suck at blending/ shading in Illustrator

DefyAllLogic on
    www.tavialewis.com

Sketch Blog

wanna be my friend?

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    On the poster, I think you need to space your elements better. On some areas you have the text touching the Kraken, while in some it's almost touching the page border.

Because you give so much emphasis on how it's never been captured alive, I would have played this by not showing the entire animal. Instead, I would have drawn just the tentacles wooshing around the composition.

Also, you need more contrast between the dark blue areas and the black text.

MagicToaster on