As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DC Universe Online] Now Free-to-Play! Lightning Strikes DLC now available, zappy zappy.

• Options
    batteryChickenbatteryChicken Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Horseshoe wrote:
    also the one that lets you pick up a bus

because picking up buses
    Yeah super strength. I picked that up on my main when levelling up, it's great when you find some huge indestructable thing to hold, basically giving you an unlimited aoe-stun.

batteryChicken on
    I'm so bored it's almost... interesting.
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    All I hear about Iconics (other than the innates) is: long cd, long cast time, takes tons of power. People seem to like Neo-Venom Boost though.

I pick up some on my tanks, just to get the Nanoweave armor and the Health one at the bottom.

On another note, this holiday event is much better than Halloween's was. Not yet perfect, but gettin there.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    So I'm bored of Battlefield, getting frustrated with my mate's children destroying my shit in Terraria, and have decided to stop playing Skyrim until the construction set appears.

That leaves me with DC...

I'm on EU servers though and I'm assuming all you assholes are US. Is it possible to just sign in to your servers with my characters, or do I have to start from scratch? I can't tell right now because "world down" or some bullshit.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Addendum: wow, this game now runs like shit.

Back at he beginning of the year I managed to get it running at an easy 60fps with some AA thrown in for good measure (had to fiddle with nvidia inspector a bit). Fast forward to now, I have an extra card running in SLI and yet the game chugs like ultrabro at the world's biggest frat party.

/shakes fist

World's best janitor
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote:
    All I hear about Iconics (other than the innates) is: long cd, long cast time, takes tons of power. People seem to like Neo-Venom Boost though.

Neo-Venom Boost is apparently a good one for DPS'ers, and you can use a power that cancels animations to cut down on its cast time. I tried out a DPS build with my Green Lantern (I didn't like it too well) and hitting Recharge right after hitting NVB let you get right to blastin'.

It still takes a lot of power, but that's what the Controller is for, right?

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote:
    Addendum: wow, this game now runs like shit.

Back at he beginning of the year I managed to get it running at an easy 60fps with some AA thrown in for good measure (had to fiddle with nvidia inspector a bit). Fast forward to now, I have an extra card running in SLI and yet the game chugs like ultrabro at the world's biggest frat party.

/shakes fist

To your first question: No. While you CAN freely switch between US and EU servers via the launcher, you will have to make new characters.

To what you say in the quote: Try turning off SLI.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just tried rolling a toon on the US server(s), but other players are jerking around a lot.

I'm guessing my connection isn't quite up to snuff, shame.

Edit: So the EU servers are the same... apparently, they just do that now. :P

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    I'm in need of 2 Harvey Dents from the Nice list. Have a ton to trade as well. Anyone still collecting their sets?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    When is the christmas event going away? The repetitive tune is getting on my nerves.

I'm a Magic/Nature/1H weapon dude on the EU PvE server and I'm liking it so far. It's nice that I get to be a healer in a game where most people are pre-occupied with hack-n-slash. It gives me the chance to stand back and keep them on their feet. You have no idea how useful those health-containers are when thrown at a tank (also known as: the guy who managed to get aggro and now feels less awesome). I also like how almost all my abilities have a healing effect thrown in when in healing mode.

I haven't spent any money on this yet and I just dinged 16. Is the game going to be this F2P-friendly all the way to max level?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    When is the christmas event going away? The repetitive tune is getting on my nerves.

I'm a Magic/Nature/1H weapon dude on the EU PvE server and I'm liking it so far. It's nice that I get to be a healer in a game where most people are pre-occupied with hack-n-slash. It gives me the chance to stand back and keep them on their feet. You have no idea how useful those health-containers are when thrown at a tank (also known as: the guy who managed to get aggro and now feels less awesome). I also like how almost all my abilities have a healing effect thrown in when in healing mode.

I haven't spent any money on this yet and I just dinged 16. Is the game going to be this F2P-friendly all the way to max level?
    Yup. You might find a bit of a bother with the money limit for completely free players though.

I mean, I DID spend the 5 bucks for premium, but haven't REALLY needed it, other than the extra bit of cash.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    So far the 1.5k $ limit hasn't been an annoyance, but i guess there will be more expensive stuff later on to buy.

I don't even know what I would want to spend money on so far.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Cola mostly, and with the high level ones going for 700-1000 each, it can get annoying.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2012
    Are you guys on the us pve server? It doesn't actually list which server the good guys are on in the op.

My guys is named "Morkath" if you are.

Morkath on
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    There are no servers anymore. Instead, at the watchtower, you change between pve and pvp instanced worlds.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    ah cool, didn't know you could change

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    Update 8 is on it's way, probably on Tuesday. Looks like the long awaited crafting system will be included.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/en/news/archive.vm?id=87
    Coming Soon: Research and Development!

Since Brainiac's arrival, scientists and engineers the world over have been working tirelessly to learn everything possible about the Exobytes Lex Luthor released into the atmosphere. Though many of the Exobytes have found their way to human hosts, still more have gone dormant and begun to decay. Finally, breakthroughs in nanite technology will allow Heroes and Villains to find and utilize these unclaimed Exobytes in the form of powerful Equipment Mods and Consumables! Beginning at level 10, players can begin to enjoy the benefits of modified technology.

Gather Exobits and Exobytes!

The first step in harnessing the untapped power of the Exobytes lies in finding them. Residual Exobytes in the world have broken down into units called Exobits. These smaller pieces are scattered around Gotham City, Metropolis, and Central City. Gather the Exobits, then forge them into new Exobytes of varying qualities at Research and Development stations.

Research Plans!

Of course, before construction can begin, you must decide what kind of item you wish to create. Equipment Mods can be socketed into gear for powerful benefits, and various Consumables will lend you bonuses for short durations of time. Plans for the creation of either can be found throughout the world or purchased at new Research and Development vendors.

Develop Equipment Mods and Consumables!

Once you have learned the appropriate plan, collect the necessary components, including Exobytes, and assemble the new item at a Research and Development station. Equipment Mods come in various colors which, when matched with similarly colored sockets on your gear, can provide even further bonuses and power.

Salvage!

Finally, some gear found in the world can now be deconstructed at Research and Development stations to aid in the process. Salvaging these items will return Research and Development components that can be used in other recipes.

Research and Development is right around the corner, coming soon in Game Update 8. What will you make? Tune into our webcast at 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time on Thursday, January 5th, 2012, for more information!

• Options
    I'm wondering if there will be any Feats for crafting. They didn't mention any, but the game is pretty feat-focused, so I'd be surprised if they weren't included.

• Options
    Is the Christmas event over yet?

It's just that I'm a massive OCD fucktard, and if it's still on I can't stop myself running down every stupid feat on every fucking character I've ever made.

Frankly, I don't need that kind of bullshit workload on top of the bullshit grinding I already have to do, so I've decided to avoid the game until it's over.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    lol, you'll want to wait at least another week then.

• Options
    Oh man, crafting might mean I'd finally run out of inventory space on my free account. :lol:

• Options
    Hello PrettyDeadThread, I thought the laggy "Fun for girls and boys" daily was annoying, but now I'm in Central City doing "Can't Stop!" and man is that taking forever. Especially when I'm chasing a sped-up-citizen for ages and then they just VANISH.

Is there some kind of trick to it? You just need to stick close to them, right?

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hello PrettyDeadThread, I thought the laggy "Fun for girls and boys" daily was annoying, but now I'm in Central City doing "Can't Stop!" and man is that taking forever. Especially when I'm chasing a sped-up-citizen for ages and then they just VANISH.

It helps if you can cut them off right as you pass them. You pretty much have to make contact with something other than the back of the person you are chasing. If you can run a tight circle or two around them, then that will usually do it, although sometimes I've noticed that some just randomly won't register your efforts ever, no matter what. If you've been chasing the same one for more than a minute (at most), give up and find another one.

On the plus side, at least they lowered the requirements from 15 to 8, although I've been having a harder time catching them since they did that, so it's almost a wash in terms of time.

Edit: Also, when in doubt, go for the fat ones

Cururu on
  • Options
    ok so crafting is totes uninteresting. I've lost all interest in playing since hitting 28. it seems my nature/1H guy is not very exciting, especially when running Pugs I'm just flying around healing people who are too dumb to stick together.

• Options
    Cururu wrote:

It helps if you can cut them off right as you pass them. You pretty much have to make contact with something other than the back of the person you are chasing. If you can run a tight circle or two around them, then that will usually do it, although sometimes I've noticed that some just randomly won't register your efforts ever, no matter what. If you've been chasing the same one for more than a minute (at most), give up and find another one.

On the plus side, at least they lowered the requirements from 15 to 8, although I've been having a harder time catching them since they did that, so it's almost a wash in terms of time.

Edit: Also, when in doubt, go for the fat ones
    Thanks for tips Cururu!

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I tried the game. Best Super Hero MMO opening, most fun combat. My character is Max Payne/Punisher based. Dual pistols with mental. For some reason, I've always liked mental powers like Telekinesis. Name's Voltaere. Tried calling him The Payne, Black Flame, Voltaire, Lokus, none of those worked. So I used my regular online name. I love how I melee with pistols and my mental powers. Was wondering if I should of done rifles but then I saw an attack animation from someone else, didn't look as good.

Was thinking of porting Funk Man from Champions Online, but I've always wanted a character like that.

• Options
    Kadoken wrote:
    I love how I melee with pistols and my mental powers. Was wondering if I should of done rifles but then I saw an attack animation from someone else, didn't look as good.

When you hit level 10 you can start puting skill points into other weapon trees, so you aren't restricted to using dual pistols only. In fact you aren't going be locked into any of your skills or powers, because you can go to the respec machine in Watchtower to reset your stats for some ingame cash any time. You will still ofcourse be Mental, and you will have 1 point by default in the Dual Pistol tree, but you can play around with all different kids of builds. Although you don't really need to bother until you hit lvl 30.

• Options
    Claw ShrimpClaw Shrimp Registered User regular
    http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuops3/posts/list.m?topic_id=44151

Coming soon:

"Novice Raids

Ever feel like raids are just a little bit out of your reach, a little bit too punishing, a little bit too strong?

If you do, Game Update 9 will introduce Novice Raids just for players at your gear or skill level, including all three Fortress of Solitude, the Batcave, and the Kahndaq raids. These raids will still come with the same epic storylines and all the action that their counterparts do, but Novice Raids will be slightly more forgiving for players still looking to make their mark on the world. They will also come with the same kinds of rewards – though not the same quantities of them – so you can continue to work on gearing and growing your characters.

Role Optional Alerts

If you’re not interested in Novice Raids, you will probably be interested in faster queue times in Alerts. We’ve analyzed carefully how long players of certain roles were waiting in queues compared to others and, in the effort of fairness, have come up with a solution. Role Optional Alerts will allow you to queue and form groups with any combination of roles.

Team Buff

Now, you may be wondering just what your group of three Damage characters and a Controller is going to do for heals when Doomsday starts beating on you, and the answer is the Team Buff. When grouped in a non-optimal role combination, you’ll receive a buff to help make up for what you’re lacking, as long you stay together.

If you don’t have a Tank, everyone will take less damage overall. That doesn’t mean you’re all tanks – you’ll have to work together to survive – but you’ll have a fighting chance.
    If you don’t have a Healer, any Controller or Damage character will trigger a small amount of regeneration when your health dips below a certain point. If you’re a Tank, you’ll always have some regeneration.
    If you don’t have a Controller, everyone will get varying amounts of additional power periodically.
    Remember, though, this is a Team Buff. You will need to stay together and work together to take advantage."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    While it's sad they need to do that, at least they did that.

Far too many mmos refuse to admit their game design and population levels don't mesh, either due to economics or design, and just stumble along with tons of group content nobody will ever actually group for due to the effort involved just getting in the door.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I love the pistol skills. They make me feel like Cole Preston from Equilibrium. Also Max Payne.
    I made a villain on a PVP server. Called him White Illuminator, dual swords, wears a business suit and shades. All white, his hair and clothes. Not sure if I want to play him quite yet, I think I'm going to stick to Voltaere for PvE.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Astale wrote:
    While it's sad they need to do that, at least they did that.

Far too many mmos refuse to admit their game design and population levels don't mesh, either due to economics or design, and just stumble along with tons of group content nobody will ever actually group for due to the effort involved just getting in the door.

The game's pretty damn populated, actually. Servers are at high or very high at 5AM in the morning.

Thing is, from what I understand, their chat system still sucks. Shout doesn't cross shards for a zone. Though they're apparently altering it so that won't be an issue anymore. More on why this is a problem later in my post.

Complicating things is that the community since F2P has seen, along with a huge influx of normal players, a strange influx of what appears to be inbred children. Think people using names like Darksysx1111, and such.

They, in about ninety percent of my encounters with these people, tend to roll need on everything, never speak a word, and are generally obnoxious to play with. Also, most of them can't heal, DPS, CC, or tank worth a shit. Coincidentally, the older players tend to refuse to help them when they get their asses handed to them by players in the PVP phase of the game world, or mobs, since they tend to be massive assholes even when they do speak. So there's some hope there that they'll get marginalized or forced to adapt to a community that seems to have a low tolerance for assholes.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, someone concluded that the looking for group system that automatically assembles an appropriate party for an instance for you is not suitable to use, partially because of these sort of players bitching. This unfortunately caught on. Cue several months later, and people start bitching about how they can't do content because they refuse to use the built in tools that do the work of building a group for you. Meaning that they just invite people who ask to come on a raid or instance without checking their gear, and are surprised when they're undergeared for a T2.

Pretty sure the developers aren't to blame for that one. It's them trying to patch a shitty aspect of the community that's been trying to force its way into being the majority (Still plenty of good players left.) so that that part of the community isn't hamstrung by their own stupidity.

All in all, it's definitely not a bad thing. It just creates an optional tier before going up to the tier where the rest of the players play.

DCUO still has the best combat and end-game content out of the three super-hero MMO's. Where-as CoH kind of didn't even understand the concept of having an end-game for many years and is just now getting into it, and CO is just trying to go "LALALALALA! CAN'T HEAR YOU!" in reply to people begging them to actually create an end-game, DCUO was pretty obviously geared from day one around having an end-game to play, and creating a comic book story to go with it. And they've been constantly expanding on it since release.

Only thing i'd say that puts it behind its two competitors is that their costume designer on staff still sucks. I'm still seeing people running around with anime robot armor. And a good deal of the existing armor designs are just flat out atrocious, to the point where many people look like some sort of conglomeration of grim-dark 90's heroes. Though word is some new flex-suit styles were put in recently, like the Kryptonian Flex-Suit, that might satisfy people.

Weird thing is, they're not lacking for new art assets. A lot of them are already designed and in-game. There's skin types that NPCs use that would fit players. Builds too. Take a look at a NPC like Zatanna or Aquaman sometime to see what I mean.

And that's before you get into clothing and other similar models. You've got a metric shit-ton of hair types, ranging from a "Clark Kent everyman" style that's already in-game on NPC's, to hip length Starfire style hair that are easily usable. It's not that hard to alter existing outfits to be player compatible too. Nevermind just giving some basic tights designs. The game is disturbingly lacking in actual "classical" heroic looks, for a super-hero game. A lot of the civilian stuff could probably be adapted to fit player models fairly easily too. Same with some of the heroic costumes that NPC's have.

The Starfire hair is a particularly egregious (And as a result I see like one topic a month getting bombed with people asking for it.) example of what appears to be their art assets team sleeping on the job, because it's on multiple heroic characters in the game, and is obviously fully capable of working with existing player models. More-so because one hero that uses it in-game, Fire, is also obviously using the Glow skin type that players use. Meaning that they just ported that model over so players could access it.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Archonex wrote:
    Complicating things is that the community since F2P has seen, along with a huge influx of normal players, a strange influx of what appears to be inbred children. Think people using names like Darksysx1111, and such.

They, in about ninety percent of my encounters with these people, tend to roll need on everything, never speak a word, and are generally obnoxious to play with. Also, most of them can't heal, DPS, CC, or tank worth a shit. Coincidentally, the older players tend to refuse to help them when they get their asses handed to them by players in the PVP phase of the game world, or mobs, since they tend to be massive assholes even when they do speak. So there's some hope there that they'll get marginalized or forced to adapt to a community that seems to have a low tolerance for assholes.
    Heh, the community was pretty much exactly the same during pay to play... there's something about the IP that attracts mouth breathing men children even more than the usual MMO fare.

Confounding that, the game makes almost zero effort to teach mechanics as you level up. You can either ignore lower level instances completely or brute force your way through them, so you end up with 99% of level 30s not even knowing how the hit counter works, never mind things like role switching or heaven forbid doing something really complicated like tanking.

Your best hope for playing the game meaningfully is finding a decent league, because PUGing is a massive exercise in frustration. DC is actually a good game, it's just let down enormously by its community IMO.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Or something complicated like sticking together. -_-

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah. There's a ton of people demanding that they make the new roleless system an "optional" LFG system.

This is fucking retarded. For one, having played some more, I have to say that it's the best thing to happen to the game in a long time. We were all panicking the first time we did T2 League of Assassins when GU9 came out. We all pretty much stood there for five minutes until I said the fuck with it and rushed the ninjas. Turns out we're all tanks without a tank in the group. So I was flinging them around like they were tooth-picks while having some incredible defense.

The newest update made the game very skill dependent on the player end of things. Which means that if you, personally, suck at playing the game in a roleless group, then yeah, you're going to die. Gear only does so much for you now that anyone can be targeted, and everyone is essentially a super-hero/villain that has to be willing to take center stage instead of a tank, healer, DPS, CC, etc, etc.

This really pisses some people off. Since they can't sit on their asses in fights anymore and let the group carry them via tank n spank in a roled group. Someone who mindlessly attacks and doesn't pay attention to the boss while refusing to utilize blocking or dodging, will get aggro and die. Likewise for bad healers, CC, and tanks. So now they want to get rid of this. Which is also dumb, because if they were to split the queues, then lo and behold, neither queue would be particularly active.

If nothing else, it isn't very heroic to be that guy who sits in the back and casts heals. Now a healer can run around blowing people away, tanking, etc, etc, like all the other roles. You're actually more playing a heroic character, as opposed to some dude who can't take two hits before dropping in the end-game instances.

Basically, this community has some grade A idiots.

Edit: The mechanics aren't even that hard. Healers heal. CC recharges and CC's. Tanks tank. DPS blows shit up. It's not like the old role required system was that difficult. It's the same thing MMO's have had for years. Problem is the role system meant that a shitty DPS or tank could be carried by a healer. Or vice versa. Now, if a tank isn't in the group, everyone has equal aggro, but is equally a tank. Which means if you understand how to play, you're fine. If not, well, you're going to get outted as incompetent in short order.

The roleless system basically says that you need to understand how to block, dodge, and not be a complete tool (It requires rubbing two brain cells together by realizing that when a mob gets a skull over their head, maybe you shouldn't stand next to it.). If you haven't figured out that "mob stopping what they're doing to charge up an attack=bad" by 30. Then you really just haven't been paying attention.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Archonex wrote:
    Now a healer can run around blowing people away, tanking, etc, etc, like all the other roles. You're actually more playing a heroic character, as opposed to some dude who can't take two hits before dropping in the end-game instances.

okay i like this

it was really frustrating on one occasion being a controller and having the tank complain that i was making his job more difficult by attacking and dodging

sitting in the corner giving power outs so that the healer can keep the tank healed and we can yawn our way through the end of an alert is not fun

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Horseshoe wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Now a healer can run around blowing people away, tanking, etc, etc, like all the other roles. You're actually more playing a heroic character, as opposed to some dude who can't take two hits before dropping in the end-game instances.

okay i like this

it was really frustrating on one occasion being a controller and having the tank complain that i was making his job more difficult by attacking and dodging

sitting in the corner giving power outs so that the healer can keep the tank healed and we can yawn our way through the end of an alert is not fun

Yeah. I vastly prefer this new system to the old one. We rolled through League of Assassins with four DPS and it was crazy. Explosions everywhere. Ninjas and players flying through the air. Was fairly easy too, since we all knew what to do to avoid/counter attacks.

Ras went all shirtless during stage two and tried to DPS me down. But I just stood there tanking him with a guard until someone else knocked him back/pulled him off of me. At which point i'd drop a meteorite on his head, set him on fire with inferno, and explode the air around him. At which point he'd freak out again and leap through the air at me, and we'd start the dance all over again.

Archonex on
  • Options
    that sounds neat

i may have to re-download this game to give the endgame a try again

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    So I just downloaded this for PS3, and I've looked a few places but I can't really seem to figure out what the difference is between free and subscribing besides dlc. It seems like it might actually be free to play rather than most "free to play" mmos that really aren't. Is this right?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote:
    So I just downloaded this for PS3, and I've looked a few places but I can't really seem to figure out what the difference is between free and subscribing besides dlc. It seems like it might actually be free to play rather than most "free to play" mmos that really aren't. Is this right?

It's pretty "free" indeed. I've played it for hours without feeling the urge to spend money. There are quite a few cash shop items that make the game more pleasant to play (remove credits cap, more inventory space, more character slots etc), but none of those limits are particularly harsh to begin with.

• Options
    Aldo wrote:
    anoffday wrote:

It's pretty "free" indeed. I've played it for hours without feeling the urge to spend money. There are quite a few cash shop items that make the game more pleasant to play (remove credits cap, more inventory space, more character slots etc), but none of those limits are particularly harsh to begin with.

You can play pretty deep into the game without needing to spend a dime. My wife and I ended up as Premium players because we wanted the DLCs, (and the extra character slots you get with Premium) but even with that kind of limited account, we were able to play through all the endgame Alerts, Duos, etc and even one or two Raids.

• Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    I just started playing this game, and I've been very happy with it. The style system in this game needs to be in every MMO ever! I liked the character creation mode for the most part but I did however find it annoying I was limited a 3 color palette and that there is supposedly a way to change which items are tagged with with of the 3 palettes but I can't seem to get it to function correctly. I wanted to make a kind of Mysterio type character (with the bubble type helmet) but there is no such option for the helmets and anything close I was unable to get colored the way I wanted. Of course that could just be from my relative noobism.

Despite all that I was able to make a lobo inspired character via the custom tab (why they don't have him in there but have bane, Idk)