As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]man John (Ski Ba Bop Bup Dop Bop)

Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nipsRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'M THE SCAT MAN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLoNan-ApcI
SKEE BEE DEE BEE DEE YO DA DUB DUB
Yo dab dub dub
Ski-Bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo dab dub dub

1124-Film-Review-The-Kings-Speech_full_600.jpg
Everybody stutters one way or the other
So check out my message to you.
As a matter of fact I don't let nothin' hold you back.
If the Scatman can do it so can you.

the-kings-speech.jpg
Everybody's sayin' that the Scatman stutters
But doesn't ever stutter when he sings.
But what you don't know I'm gonna tell you right now
That the stutter and the scat is the same thing.

6a00d8341c7a0853ef0133f4fbf1b2970b-800wi.jpg
Yo I'm the Scatman.

the-kings-speech-0.jpg
Where's the Scatman?

the-kings-speech-la-11-15-10.jpg
I'm the Scatman.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
Donkey Kong on

• Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Holy shit yes!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So it looks like our HTML coder just disappeared off the face of the planet.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    FartacusFartacus __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    One can be sarcastic and still saying a truth, you are a fucking racist fart, and apparently unable to read.

lol

Fartacus on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

<--! Help me I'm stuck in a maze of nested <div>s!-->

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    J-Jacob...?

20090520.gif

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    It's not justified. At all. I can explain to you why and in detail, but only if you are interested in hearing it.

natch

aight so

it goes like this

Your concern, which is not totally invalid, is that when people go "But what about white people?" or "But what about men?" or whatever, it's going to end up dominating the subject and hedge out the issues affecting minorities which are far more prevalent (but NOT more severe, I will get to that in a moment).

What makes you flinch, what makes you outraged, is that every breath spent on conversing about the difficulties that the "empowered groups" (whites, males, Christians, straights, pick whatever) face is a breath that could have been spent illustrating the difficulties faced by groups that are much more pervasively fucked over by the empowered.

So it bothers you, because whenever someone says "But white people experience racism too!", you feel that is less important to talk about than the circumstances afflicting other groups. You basically feel they are wasting time and stealing attention away from causes and groups that need it more.

This brings me to an important issue, that I have to address before I go further: The difference between severity and prevalence.

To use an example, the racism experienced by some white people is just as severe as the racism experienced by many black people. There are white people who have been killed, raped, denied jobs, had their land stolen, all because of their race.

The capacities of racism are equal in severity. I don't think there's any ethnic group of people who, at no point in history or even in the modern age, haven't been subjected to abominable conditions and treatment because of their race.

However, white people do not have the same prevalence of racial suffering as many other races, especially in Europe and North America. Severity isn't prevalence, so even though white people who suffer because of their ethnicity do exist, they are not nearly as common or prevalent as black people who suffer the same level of severity.

Lots of people have experienced some degree of severe discrimination for some aspect of who they are as a person. I'm a white male, so you would think I ain't had it hard because of who I am, right? Wrong. I'm also a Jew, and I've been the victim of anti-semitic violence. I'm also a queer, and I've been the victim of violence, slurs, and discrimination for that (including, shockingly enough, from the gay community). I'm also poor, and of a low social class, so I've experienced class-based discrimination. So, I've known severe discrimination, regardless of my race or gender. I have never personally experienced equal severity in racial discrimination for being white as some of my black or south-east asian friends, but I have in other aspects of my life. And there certainly are white people and men who have experienced equal severity in discrimination for their race or gender. They exist. You don't like to talk about them because their prevalence is so low.

I understand how this frustrates you. I understand how diminishing and dismissive it feels when someone tries to take away from the prevalence of racism or sexism or whatever by saying "Hey, but we get that too sometimes!"

I understand the struggle it is to even have open dialogue about the problems affecting women and ethnic minorities and sexual minorities and what-have-you. To even get the attention those problems deserve, to even get people talking about it and admitting it exists and is a problem, is so enormously difficult already that it feels like a direct attack on the cause whenever someone "wastes their breath" trying to equate their suffering with the suffering of the disempowered.

But you know where it's not justified, where it is a problem, and why you should stop acting so fucking righteous and snapping off like that in response?

I'm going to use myself an example, and I'm going to spoiler it because it's some harsh fucking bullshit that some people might not want to read.
    I was violently raped years ago, and it messed me up pretty fucking bad. I have PTSD and I need therapy to deal with it, even years later.

I have to deal with hypervigilant episodes, or what feminists love to call "triggering". I have to deal with being immediately paranoid and un-necessarily terrified of every man who resembles my attacker. There is just so much in terms of intimacy and sexual issues I have now as a result of what happened, as well as hate and anger-filled feelings towards people who have only the barest of things in common with the person who assaulted me.

I say this not to make you feel bad, or as if this is some kind of "trump card" that makes my opinion more valid than yours.

I say this because, as a man, I get told often by women (especially feminists) that men cannot be raped. That men can't understand sexual assault like a woman can, that a man doesn't know what it's like to be afraid of sexual assault, that a man cannot truly empathize with or understand a woman who has been sexually assaulted.

Moreover, I get told regularly when the topic of sexual assault comes up that men do not count. That sexual assault against men is so massively lower than women in prevalence that the severity being equal doesn't matter. That bringing up sexual assault against men "dilutes" the topic, and "derails" the issue, and that by bringing it up I am contributing to an atmosphere where women feel they cannot discuss being assaulted.

This isn't some abstract "person I heard about" I am talking about when I join the conversation. It's me. It's me trying to join in a conversation with other sexual assault survivors from the perspective of a fellow survivor who understands what it's like. But I get rebuked, I get told it's not the same and that it's not as bad because it's not as prevalent and because the so-called "rape culture" isn't the same for men as it is for women. That without being a woman, it's impossible for me to understand what sexual assault is really like.

I get told that I should like... go somewhere else. Right now, we're talking about women. Maybe you should talk about men somewhere else, because it's hard to talk about this for women and we don't need a man trying to shut us down. Men can talk anytime they want, so why don't you just... go away.
    Some people lose sight of the separation of prevalence and severity so thoroughly that eventually they get to the point of simply saying that it's impossible for the empowered to have any kind of experience similar in severity to "us". They feel that examples of equal severity are some kind of illegitimate attempt by the empowered to steal from the disenfranchised, no matter how personal and close they might be to you.

They get to the point of saying, and even angrily believing things like "It's not racist when it's against white people".

I understand why you're angry, but you've lost perspective when you do that, and when you start doing that you run into the eventuality that you're going to meet someone who has experienced an equality of severity, and you are going to become the oppressive, silencing, heartless asshole who tells them they don't matter.

You lose empathy for other human beings because of their race or gender or whatever. You see them as the enemy and you shit all over their problems, and any time you might run into the (statistically unlikely) person who has problems equal in severity, you dismiss them because they aren't equal in prevalence.

Sometimes, right to their fucking face.

Think about that a little the next time you say something like that.

Pony on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fartacus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote:
    One can be sarcastic and still saying a truth, you are a fucking racist fart, and apparently unable to read.

lol

This post was, in fact, completely out of hand.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Maybe he found the source code...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Some developers nest their divs too deeply and too greedily.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man

I hate the fact that being on the rag affects my mood at all

It's like I'm playing into a really offensive and rude stereotype

BUT IT FUCKING HURTS AND ALLA Y'ALL ARE BITCHES

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Some developers nest their divs too deeply and too greedily.

Well played.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That is a fantastic OP. I get it because of all this Oscar jibber-jabber.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This Double Double was exactly what I needed to get me over the hump of recovery from a cold.

desc on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Speaking of dumb feminists

I basically can't use the feminist blogs I read as a sounding board about any of my depression or PTSD or anything

They've basically gone so far in the other direction of "You should be ashamed of your mental illness and hide it away and get over it etc." that they've come out just as crazy.

Like basically if I talk about my disability as a negative thing that I want so badly to be rid of

That's ablist

SO DUMB

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Someone just got an amazing performance review
    it was me.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

I basically can't use the feminist blogs I read as a sounding board about any of my depression or PTSD or anything

They've basically gone so far in the other direction of "You should be ashamed of your mental illness and hide it away and get over it etc." that they've come out just as crazy.

Like basically if I talk about my disability as a negative thing that I want so badly to be rid of

That's ablist

SO DUMB

Well, friend, I for one have always known that women are crazy.

This truly isn't new. They were a much happier creature when they were confined to their kitchens and laundry-rooms.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    it was me.

This narrative arc was amazing, I laughed, I cried, I peed a little.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it was me.

booyah!

desc on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think I've figured out what it's like to be a stutterer. Talk into a microphone and have it come back to you over noise isolating headphones cranked up to a reasonable volume. Now throw in a halfsecond to one second delay. Holy fuck. It becomes impossible not to keep repeating the same sounds over and over. It locks your brain into an evil loop.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Stone cold OP

I am feeling the tears coming.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it was me.

Yes, your pole dancing skills were highly appreciated by tonight's patients.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man

Can I use more or less constant stomach pain from IBS as an excuse to be a jerk?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man

Can I use more or less constant stomach pain from IBS as an excuse to be a jerk?

I don't know are you bleeding out your dick on your nice new pants in the middle of lecture?

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    I have heard of Colin Firth a great deal of times but hadn't really seen him in a movie before this, but god damn what an actor.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    up with the patriarchy

wait is that sexist

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

That's ablist

SO DUMB

There are lots of dumb people. I hate them.

I guess I see them most in the feminist community because I hang around trans communities a lot, and they have a lot of... bad blood between them.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I have heard of Colin Firth a great deal of times but hadn't really seen him in a movie before this, but god damn what an actor.

you've never seen Love Actually?!!1!!!

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    up with the patriarchy

wait is that sexist

yes

get out of my house

get out of my life

• Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't know if Fartacus will even read that post, or if anyone else did

but it felt good to write, anyway, because I don't get a lot of opportunities to really yell at someone for that kind of bullshit.

Pony on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    up with the patriarchy

wait is that sexist

Doesn't matter. You're a white man, thus inherently evil.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man

I don't know are you bleeding out your dick on your nice new pants in the middle of lecture?

I do throw up occasionally due to the pain.

Can I be a jerk?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

That's ablist

SO DUMB

I'm trying wrap my mind around the idea of just accepting PTSD and living with it when there is an option to deal with it. I mean do these people have it? Because if you told me right now that I could stop obsessively checking doors and windows with a snap of their fingers, then you know I'd do what ever I need to make them snap their fingers.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Honk wrote: »

watch A Single Man

fantastic film

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man

I did that once.

I was, in point of fact, a complete jerk about it.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, got a question for you guys. I've got my PC hooked up to my TV so I can use it while sitting on my couch - but the comfort level needs a bit of work. I have the mouse beside me and the keyboard on my lap. The keyboard position is actually fine, but the mouse is slightly uncomfortable. I need it to be raised up. Anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations for easy and cheap solutions?

Nova_C on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011

but it felt good to write, anyway, because I don't get a lot of opportunities to really yell at someone for that kind of bullshit.

I did.

It's a really powerful post.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    i am so glad archer is back

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Shivahn wrote: »

I did.

It's a really powerful post.

thanks!

sometimes i get all fired up and write in full paragraphs with punctuation and capitals and everything!

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.