As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hair help

Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
H/A I'm coming to you for ideas on a new hairstyle... I'm contemplating what to do and I have no idea what I want... I'm half tempted to tell my stylist to just go for broke and shave it off ... OK, not really, but some days I feel like doing it.

Right now my hair is medium length, I guess you'd say... past my shoulders, long layers... I have bangs, but they're waaaaaay over due for a trimming... Usually I have blunt bangs right about eyebrow length.

I'm considering something shorter... maybe above my shoulders, but not shorter than chin-length. But I need something that will still look cute even if I let it air dry after a shower in the morning.

These are all things that I'll tell my stylist when I finally go in, but I was hoping that you folks might have seen pictures of medium-short hair styles that you're particularly fond of ... something that I might not have found just browsing the generic GIS results for "short or medium hairstyles" type searches. Celebrity cuts or otherwise... I just need some inspiration.

Thanks for any ideas :)

Go then, there are other worlds than these.
Susan Delgado on

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Do you have a picture of your face for reference? Different hair works for different facial structures.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's really going to help if you post a picture. It's hard to recommend hairstyles (specially for women) since one may look fine on one face but look bad in another.

EDIT: Beaten by Visti

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    What you'll actually want to do is find a real stylist who works somewhere with a good reputation (or what I did, find one with the kind of hair you want), and pay some real money for them to do their job. I'd been reading that advice on here for years before I finally one day decided to take it. I had just started going to a stylist and I finally started taking her advice and buying a brand of shampoo/conditioner that costs about three times what I used to pay.

I like to say that it's like I'm walking around with a different person's head of hair, and I didn't even have to scalp anyone. Someone who knows what they're doing can look at you and tell you what you need. If you have a little money to spend, it's totally worth it.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    My stylist now is really good, always does a great job and I totally trust him to fix me up... I just want to get some ideas to bring to him so I'm not just walking in going... OK cut away! I like being able to have a picture to show him so that if I don't explain what I want right he at least can see what I'm talking about.

Also, yeah I should post a picture, but I'm at work right now. I'll find the pic of my most recent cut when I get home.

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    See, if your stylist is really good, you should be able to walk in and say, "I'm looking for a change, what would look really good on me?"

A really good stylist will know exactly what to do. If he responds with, "Well, what do you want?" then you need to find another stylist.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    OK so a someone asked for a pic to give better suggestions... so here it is. This was after my last cut, and while I did like it a lot, I want to go shorter, try something a little different ... I do like having bangs, so I'm considering just a shoulder length bob or maybe if I stay with layers having my length still be a little below my shoulder... Nothing shorter than chin length.

I appreciate the advice Figgy, but I am really more comfortable having an idea of what I'm getting into before I let anyone (no matter how good they are) start taking scissors to my hair. That's why I'm asking for ideas and suggestions for cuts so that when I go in I can actually talk about what I'd like as well as asking for his own take.

So, anyways, if anyone has any cut or style ideas, that'd be great.
    haircuta.th.jpg

Susan Delgado on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bangs to the side are in, and I think they would work well with your face. You can get away with a relatively simple hair style, I think. Technically you have long hair, not medium, because your hair goes quite a ways beyond your shoulder.

Here's a lot of pictures of different "medium length" haircuts. Note that basically everyone has bangs to the side.
    http://www.google.com/images?q=medium+length+female+hair+cuts

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OK so a someone asked for a pic to give better suggestions... so here it is. This was after my last cut, and while I did like it a lot, I want to go shorter, try something a little different ... I do like having bangs, so I'm considering just a shoulder length bob or maybe if I stay with layers having my length still be a little below my shoulder... Nothing shorter than chin length.

I appreciate the advice Figgy, but I am really more comfortable having an idea of what I'm getting into before I let anyone (no matter how good they are) start taking scissors to my hair. That's why I'm asking for ideas and suggestions for cuts so that when I go in I can actually talk about what I'd like as well as asking for his own take.

So, anyways, if anyone has any cut or style ideas, that'd be great.
    haircuta.th.jpg

This is a friend of mine:
    n71000216_32555119_2434.jpg

And I am into haircuts like that, I think it would look good on you and fit your face. It also doesn't go much shorter than what you have now but still looks awesome.

Frei on
    Are you the magic man?