As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Apartment. Need cable/internet provider.

SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I just finished moving into a new apartment, and I need advice on which cable/internet service provider to go with.

Person who runs the apartments tells me I either have to go with Time Warner and/or AT&T. I've been looking online, and from what I've gathered, they're similar in content, though TW's a little pricier. I've heard conflicting stories on how good/bad one is compared to the other, and ultimately I'd go with whichever's more reliable, even if it means a small increase in cost.

So, based on your experiences, which one do you think's the better provider to go with? Or should I get cable from one, internet from another, etc.

SpeedySwaf on

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    When you say AT&T, is it U-verse or their dsl?

MushroomStick on
  • tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mind saying where you're living? The amount of love/hate for cable companies seems to vary a lot from city to city. When I lived in Madison, I was ready to burn Charter to the ground the services was so bad/unreliable, but I know some people down south that love them.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd advise.reading the provider rankings Netflix just released - that should give you a rough idea of how they stack up performance-wise.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been looking at their U-verse, which seems to be available where I'll be living.

As for where I'm living, it'll be around Columbus, Ohio.

And looking at the Netflix readings, it seems TW has an edge on average. Internet wise, anyway.

Though, given it's Netflix, there's also the possibility I could just get the internet, and use that to watch anything I want. Hmm...

SpeedySwaf on
  • MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    SpeedySwaf wrote: »
    I've been looking at their U-verse, which seems to be available where I'll be living.

As for where I'm living, it'll be around Columbus, Ohio.

And looking at the Netflix readings, it seems TW has an edge on average. Internet wise, anyway.

Though, given it's Netflix, there's also the possibility I could just get the internet, and use that to watch anything I want. Hmm...

I've got U-verse in a suburb of Chicago and its the best service I've ever had for both the interwebs and for tv. In the past, I've gone through Directv, AT&T highspeed dsl, Comcast, and Wide Open West - I guess comcast has a better selection of on demand stuff, but other than that, they're all crap next to U-verse.

MushroomStick on