Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Hard Drive: Click of Death? (Edit: possibly more general problem)

DelzhandDelzhand motivatedbattle programmerRegistered User regular
edited January 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My hard drive has recently started clicking. Some preliminary google research indicates that the sound it makes is sorta like the "Click of Death", but it isn't constant. It will just click a handful of times, but it's getting more frequent.

I found some information suggesting a heavily fragmented drive will do this, but my defragger runs on a regular schedule.

It's a 4-5 year old Dell Inspiron laptop, and I don't know if it is in fact the hard drive, or if failure is imminent. I've got my most important data backed up on an external.

There aren't any performance issues with the laptop that can't be explained by it's age or specs. Even when I hear the clicking it's not like there's any noticeable performance chance.

Any ideas?

Edit: As I was switching tabs around, it almost seemed to start clicking in response to big on-screen changes. Sometimes the screensaver coming up starts it too, but I can't reproduce it.

Delzhand on
jk0Btsj.png

• soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    First step should be getting something to view your SMART stats on your drive.

Maybe http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm ?

See whether there's any error stats.

• DelzhandDelzhand motivated battle programmerRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It says all the values are OK.
    Spoiler:

jk0Btsj.png