As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Soy Un [Chat]edor

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can not get over how awesome this pandora station is

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos wrote: »
    is there a place in the US with a good job market
    Texas.

You should move to Texas, Cokebotle.

Isn't Perry about to eliminate thousands of jobs from the state government?

Also, ew TEXAS. Blech.

Because thousands of public jobs in a state with over twenty million people will destroy the job growth rate, especially in the private sector, right?

And lots of parts of Texas are hella liberal and have good weather

But let's conflate the liberal perception of texas with the situation on the ground

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    Texas.

Texas' unemployment rate isn't that great now, according to Krugman anyway. or are you just messing with Cokebottle or something?

Dynagrip on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2011
    There's hell of coding jobs around the seattle area if that is your thing.

edit: this is including contract work of course.

Oh and Netflix called me a couple times. They are hiring. Someplace called "Los Gatos" in Cali.
    a friend of my brother's started working at netflix about a year ago. hope they have a stock options program.

Dynagrip on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's hell of coding jobs around the seattle area if that is your thing.

edit: this is including contract work of course.

wellll.....

I can write code, but I have no real paper credentials, and I only know Java and Python.

Well, without the usual ways of getting the first coding job (recent graduate from a comp-sci or math degree, or knowing someone, having a very visible and impressive Thing you created on your own) there is still the Long Way Up. EG: get a contract gig as a tester, work your way up to SDET, leverage that into development. That can take about 3-5 years to get through but they certainly arent bad jobs in the meantime. Even an entry level grunt tester makes at least $12 an hour at the bare minimum (often more).

edit: Oh, and I forgot the important part. Only do this if you really like coding. The job will break you otherwise. Hence why, even when the economy was at it's worst, there was (and still is) a massive shortage of coders worth hiring around here. You think we like dealing with the beurocratic headaches and higher costs that come with H1B visa people? Hell no. But if you don't include them good fucking luck filling a position with someone who is more productive than hiring no-one at all.

(as an aside): it is an oddity of programming that it is very easy for a hire to not only be "not good" but actually be far worse than nothing at all. As in they produce literally nothing of use and create problems that would not have existed had they never been hired. And it can often take weeks or even months to really tell if someone is a good hire or not.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One of the few nice things about being out of work: Time enough to cook real meals.

Rice needs to hurry the hell up so I can have me some stir fry.

Incenjucar on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Epic meal time is pretty great.

I like the ones where the hot chicks eat the food at the end. ;)

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    Texas.

Isn't Perry about to eliminate thousands of jobs from the state government?

Also, ew TEXAS. Blech.

Because thousands of public jobs in a state with over twenty million people will destroy the job growth rate, especially in the private sector, right?
    It sure as shit is not going to help, especially since those people who got laid off will be competing with me for jobs and they'll all be more qualified because I'm fresh out of college.
    And lots of parts of Texas are hella liberal and have good weather
    By "lots of parts" you mean "the counties in the southwest and a few cities"? Republicans control two thirds of the congressional delegation and nearly have supermajorities in both houses of the legislature. Admittedly a lot of that is luck from 2010, but still.
    But let's conflate the liberal perception of texas with the situation on the ground
    I've studied Texas. I am not labeling the state as a conservative wasteland. I just don't want to live there.

Captain Carrot on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    And lots of parts of Texas are hella liberal...
    This is an outright lie.

There are parts of Texas that are liberal for the South, but that just means that a gay person can walk down the street and not get lynched, provided they aren't acting gay.

Thanatos on
    edited January 2011
    I was thinking places like Houston and Austin

Eddy on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Austin is a place I want to visit.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited January 2011
    I was thinking places like Houston and Austin
    See above.

Thanatos on
    edited January 2011
    Well, they're hella liberal to me

Eddy on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Elki wrote: »
    Austin is a place I want to visit.

Texas is a place I never want to visit.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I am awesomest tank.

Quid on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I might be visiting Texas soon.

Cinders on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is an outright lie.

There are parts of Texas that are liberal for the South, but that just means that a gay person can walk down the street and not get lynched, provided they aren't acting gay.

Um, Houston's mayor is a lesbian. And Austin's liberalness is on par with Berkley. Hell they would have the programs San Francisco would if they had the tax base.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011
    Obviously she has the security to afford to be lesbian

Eddy on
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Texas education system is about to be stabbed repeatedly.

Cinders on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    Guys, we should go visit every still-existing bit of Slackers.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited January 2011
    You probably think Pol Pot was a moderate.

Thanatos on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

This made me look up some websites that had different measures of how liberal a place is. This website looked at average contributions to PACs, adjusted for income, election results, concentration of gay population, etc.

http://www.epodunk.com/top10/liberal/

My little hometown in Connecticut is listed as the most liberal place in the state. I knew it was really liberal but I didn't really want to claim anything just on informal observation.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanatos has way too high a voice to be able to live in Texas

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Woo lunch!

And then I have to go pay my city tax. And read up on more C. >.<

Speaking of, anyone here around the Seattle/Portland area got any information about the job markets thereabouts for an EE major and a Software Development major/Finance master's degree holder?

Microsoft, Google, Adobe and especially (lately) Amazon all have a substantial number of employees in the greater seattle area.

Are you a recent graduate cause they tend to have special programs for hiring in those (check with your schools career office).

If not, hit up their websites and apply directly and check in with the various contractor agencies in the area (there are literally dozens but these come to mind): Volt, Collabra, XVersity, Excel etc...

edit: There has been hell of jobs popping up in programming since new years. This happens every year of course (things shut down between the week before Thanksgiving and Jan 1st then start up again) but this year has been much more robust than the last couple.

Though the first job is still a bitch and a half. Experience counts for so much.

Yeah, I know it'll be a pain to get started, especially since I have no real EE experience, and my gf has a little from when she was working during her master's degree. That's why I'm brushing up on C and maybe another language while applying. Ideally, I don't want to program because I hear it's pretty soul crushing, but if it's what I gotta do to get my foot in the door, so be it.

Mostly I'm asking because I have no real idea of the state of things back in the States. I hear unemployment is high and noone is hiring, but then I hear it's totally different for engineers and tech fields. And when my dad suddenly starts telling me "Everyone is hiring" after I tell him I'm looking at moving to Australia possibly, I get suspicious. Makes it even harder to decide where we're moving to >.<

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited January 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    This is an outright lie.

Um, Houston's mayor is a lesbian. And Austin's liberalness is on par with Berkley. Hell they would have the programs San Francisco would if they had the tax base.
    Again, I have talked to multiple people from Austin, and heard the same story every fucking time:

"Austin is hella liberal; it's like Berkeley, just in the middle of Texas!"

"Oh, really?"

"Yeah, it's super-duper ridiculously liberal! Like, hippie-dippy."

"So, two guys could just walk down the street holding hands, and that wouldn't be a problem?"

"What? No, of course not. Well, I mean, I guess it would be okay if they were in the gay section of town. And it was at night. On a weekend."

Thanatos on
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, sorry, had lunch and then popped down to pay my bill.

And sorry, but fuck Texas and fuck California.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited January 2011
    Done with Japan or are they kicking you out?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2011
    Well, there's always been a huge difference between the job markets for unskilled and skilled jobs. That gulf just keeps getting wider and wider with time.

edit: Also, programming is not soul crushing if you like the job. Even if you don't it beats the hell out of working retail or at a fast food joint or being a telemarketer etc... (and pays about... 5-10x as much as those jobs)

But it's not something to get into for the money.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited January 2011
    shit I need a tan so bad.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone know how long I have to buy PAX tickets before they're sold out?"
    Site gives no indication how many are left.

JamesKeenan on
    edited January 2011

I still like it, but the gf hates her school so much and changing jobs here is a bitch (this is from a friend of mine who was working as an engineer here). The majority mentality here is basically you do one job for the rest of your life.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited January 2011

I still like it, but the gf hates her school so much and changing jobs here is a bitch (this is from a friend of mine who was working as an engineer here). The majority mentality here is basically you do one job for the rest of your life.

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd love to visit one day. I really, really want to see Japan, China and Tibet.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is an outright lie.

Again, I have talked to multiple people from Austin, and heard the same story every fucking time:

"Oh, really?"

"So, two guys could just walk down the street holding hands, and that wouldn't be a problem?"

"What? No, of course not. Well, I mean, I guess it would be okay if they were in the gay section of town. And it was at night. On a weekend."

Hey Than, I live here. I've watched gay couples hold hands. Nary a stick, rock nor bottle was thrown. I haven't lived in Austin, but I've also talked to gays who do live there. They say they might get the odd snide remark but they aren't living in fear. Now going outside the cities, yes there is a horrendous problem.

Thomamelas on
    edited January 2011

Yeah, the main thing to get your brain around in the states then will be that the way to advance is to change jobs. Sticking with one company for 5 years is a "long haul". Some places (Amazon, Microsoft, Google) have benefits so good that holding yourself back by sticking with one company works out. But, especially if you are a contractor, you have to be willing to walk for a better offer.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    edited January 2011

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd love to visit one day. I really, really want to see Japan, China and Nepal.

It's a great place to visit, honestly.

Just make sure you bring enough money to carry yourself, and if you plan on travelling, get the JR Pass. You can ride damn near every train here no extra charge. Including bullet trains, with reserved seating so you don't have to fight to get a seat on the train. My friend went from Hokkaido down to Shikoku in one day just using the pass.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
    edited January 2011
    Every time someone tells me "oh, yeah, Austin is as liberal as Berkeley! If you don't believe me, it's probably because you haven't been to Austin," I am convinced that that person has never been to Berkeley.

Thanatos on
  • MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    68% on my most recent chem homework :/

MikeMan on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is an outright lie.

"Oh, really?"

In my hometown, two guys could stand in the middle on the street at 2pm and make out, no problem.

Because the population is about 2000 during the week and there is no traffic, you see. But also, of the 5 onlookers, 2 would be in the middle of the longest ongoing war protest, one would talk about how sweet is is that they're in love, and the last two would be a mother and her son. The mother would point the couple out to the son and give a super awkward speech about how what is happening is ok, even though the son wouldn't understand the potential hangups with it in the first place.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited January 2011

Yeah, that makes sense. I'd love to visit one day. I really, really want to see Japan, China and Nepal.

It's a great place to visit, honestly.

Just make sure you bring enough money to carry yourself, and if you plan on travelling, get the JR Pass. You can ride damn near every train here no extra charge. Including bullet trains, with reserved seating so you don't have to fight to get a seat on the train. My friend went from Hokkaido down to Shikoku in one day just using the pass.

I try not to feel like a weeaboo but it's no secret I really enjoy the aesthetics and cultures of Japan. Something draws me to it, not sure what it is, but I've always wanted to go. China is also somewhere I'd love to visit.

I was a hop, skip and a step away from living in Thailand for 7 weeks, but 2 days before I was going to leave the Bangkok airport was attacked by terrorists :?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited January 2011
    Every time someone tells me "oh, yeah, Austin is as liberal as Berkeley! If you don't believe me, it's probably because you haven't been to Austin," I am convinced that that person has never been to Berkeley.

I've been to Berkeley.

Thomamelas on
This discussion has been closed.