As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MSPA: he's dead jim.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tayvaan wrote: »
    Guys i love this comic just as much as you do, but you might be taking this a smidge too seriously.

I have found the comic to be more fun the more seriously you take it. Unfortunately this has led to my taking it more seriously than the author.

That hardly seems fair, its fine to disagree with how Hussie has written his comic but to say that he doesn't take this seriously seems a little prideful.

oh, not in a whiny bitchy he's-not-taking-it-seeeeeeeeriously sort of way. Just in the sense that he reads the comic as more essentially humourous and absurd then I do.

Crimson King on
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure what else could you expect from the creator of Humanimals.

I remember when the trolls were being introduced I kept thinking "man there are SO MANY of them".
    And now I'm thinking "Man there are SO MANY of them getting killed"

Mayday on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    man, fuck this

I dunno if I wanna keep reading

lmao.

Beasteh on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Equius' death is both sad, in character, and hilarious.

Couscous on
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    augh these last two pages

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited February 2011
    PROEg.png

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha, people getting mad at originally minor characters who had not been planned as major characters dying.

Couscous on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Gamzee's terrifying badassery has been overshadowed by Equius' death.

Gamzee is really awesome now. He's no longer just some scary text on a computer screen.

Taya on
  • TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    equius's death was pretty appropriate

however much he may have developed in some ways, he wasn't able to overcome his boner for absolute hierarchy

some boners can't be defeated

TheOtherHorseman on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SO MUCH EMOTION between the turn of a page

hey!

maybe the MSPhalla doesn't have to have Homestuck characters at all!

It could be the fandom vs. S_O

Seriously on
  • ZapRatZapRat Mage of Mind A place apartRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i feel his problem* is that he writes characters too well so when gag characters die it's still like wtf weren't they main characters

*not really a problem
    I've noticed that most of the recent troll death scenes have a comic absurdity to them Hussie clearly wants us to laugh through our tears.

As for Equius just being a gag, if the author feels that way, it must have been his intent. However, of all of the dead trolls, Equius' story arc most closely follows the classic "tragic hero" idea. All true tragic heroes have a "tragic flaw" that colors the whole story and is instrumental in the death. That's why the opera "La Boheme" isn't a true tragedy; the heroine dies of bad luck, not a flaw in her character. On the other hand, opera Gypsy "Carmen" provokes her own death by her callous treatment of her lover. While in the opera "Rigoletto" the tragic hero survives, his unrelenting vengefulness leads to a very unhappy ending for him.

While Equius's death is a sick joke performed by an insane clown, he does manage to play a classical literary role.

ZapRat on
    CYDUJ.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Seriously wrote: »
    SO MUCH EMOTION between the turn of a page

hey!

maybe the MSPhalla doesn't have to have Homestuck characters at all!

It could be the fandom vs. S_O

seriously
    the forums are ... I don't want to use the word exploding. More like abluhbloosploding.

tynic on
    edited February 2011
    ZapRat wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    i feel his problem* is that he writes characters too well so when gag characters die it's still like wtf weren't they main characters

*not really a problem
    I've noticed that most of the recent troll death scenes have a comic absurdity to them Hussie clearly wants us to laugh through our tears.

As for Equius just being a gag, if the author feels that way, it must have been his intent.

DEATH OF THE AUTHOR LOL

we just had a whole thread about this over in D&D, it was a clusterfuck

Crimson King on
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    why are people getting emotional over minor expendable gag characters being killed off in a humorous/absurd fashion

i

just

don't

get it

Beasteh on
  • ZapRatZapRat Mage of Mind A place apartRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

I was honestly pretty attached to him, for reasons I can't fully articulate.

Also I am taking a certain amount of satisfaction from how angry Andrew is getting about all this.

One thing Hussey did to assure that there would be some people feeling empathy for every troll was to associate them with the Zodiac. How many people here who bought a troll shirt bought one of the 'wrong' sign?

Being a Scorpio, I have mixed feelings about this, but I can feel less guilty because I'm on the cusp of Libra and like Ace Attorney games H3 H3 H3.

ZapRat on
    CYDUJ.jpg
    edited February 2011
    yeah people getting majorly up in arms re: equius' death

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcgXNRJ_5XU

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everybody wants their favorite characters to be given the hero treatment, but it just doesn't always work out that way. Nowhere is it written that all good guys have to get a heroic death, especially gag characters. Equius' death makes perfect sense for his character. If John went out this way then yeah there might be reason to complain.

Zek on
    edited February 2011
    Man

Some people found Equius more sympathetic/likeable/nuanced/interesting than others.

These people are more upset over his death than others.

Is it that you don't get how anyone could possible find Equius likeable or sympathetic?

Crimson King on
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is my fault

I was not here for you guys and you didn't know what to do

Seriously on
  • EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Curses. I had a strife theme all ready.

EidolonOrpheus on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Man

Some people found Equius more sympathetic/likeable/nuanced/interesting than others.

Is it that you don't get how anyone could possible find Equius likeable or sympathetic?

Equius was probably my favourite troll, no irony. His death was hilarious. I don't see how this isn't hilarious!

tynic on
  • ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    His death was completely underwhelming and meaningless.

e: equaled only by how random and non-sequitor it is that Gamzee became a villain or whatever

why is this plot even in the same story idgi

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dunno, seems like the fact his death was so passive carries pretty big meanings. Andrew doesn't seem like he wants all his characters to go out with a desperate final attack, wise words to their fellows and triumphant music playing. Seems like he wants characters to die in ways that don't go with a drum roll and an applause. Seems like he wants it to be as fickle as everything else.

Quite a bit of meaning I think.

Gumpy on
    edited February 2011
    tynic wrote: »
    Man

Equius was probably my favourite troll, no irony. His death was hilarious. I don't see how this isn't hilarious!

I did think it was pretty hilarious.

But I don't see Homestuck as purely a comic text. In fact I enjoy it just as much for the story and the drama. And dramatically, Equius' death was, well, underwhelming and meaningless. So it works on the comic level but not on the dramatic level, which for me is more important.

Also long-term it probably would've been funnier to keep him around and get more jokes out of him, but that's just my value judgement.

edit; see Gamzee's becoming evil totally works for me on both levels.

Crimson King on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only thing better than evil Gamzee is scared Karkat.

I think I like Gamzee more than Terezi now.

Taya on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm sad to see a favorite character go, but that is just the way death can be. Most people don't go out a hero guys!

I'm also sort of in the camp that saw Equius as more than just a gag character. I mean, he definitely was, but pretty much all the characters have been gag ones to one extent or the other. They were almost all more relevant than him, let's not fool ourselves, but he was pretty emotionally complicated. It's just sad to see that not go any further.

Although I still find it unlikely we'll never see him again. At the very least he and Aradia will meet up again in whatever after death thing there is which keeps being alluded to. Or at least that's my take as to what she was talking to Nepeta about.

Cilla Black on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damn my zodiac troll is out. What's this sidereal stuff I've been hearing about?

But dang I was kind of at least expecting a plausible way of killing someone so STRONG, like what was that string made out of anyway. Sayonara, Equius "the story would not have been affected much if he wasn't in it, someone else could have made the robot" Didnotbothertolearnhislastname. You'll be missed, probably.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need Karkat.

To kick Gamzee's ass.

That is the only way this horribly wasteful death can be equaled in any measure.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited February 2011
    Person on the MSPA forums says it the best:
    aceofspudz wrote:
    I should explain where I am coming from, I guess. Lots of people lately have been pissed at the revelation that the troll arc was the world's most elaborate setup for a horror show, me included. First of all--horror is my least favorite genre. Secondly the tonal shift has been jarring to say the least. I'm not angry that characters are going to die. I understand that sometimes you need a death for dramatic impact. I'm not pissed at Joss Whedon for killing Wash, for example. I'm more disappointed at the execution, and the implications, and the tone taken than anything else. Also the volume. One, two character deaths? Sure, even if it is Nepeta. We're looking at 8-10 of the trolls biting it.

Hussie is within his rights to do whatever he likes, of course. He has been planning something like this for a long time and deserves to execute it according to his master plan. Obviously I won't stop reading, however disappointed and uninterested I become. Reading is a very small time investment. Making this adventure, though? It's a lot of work. Substantially more than reading.

Did he really invent an entire race and culture just to get us invested in their systematic slaughter and destruction? Does he really regard the secondary characters as unceremonious canon fodder for even more secondary antagonists? Unless some monumental fakeout is coming down the pipe (which would, itself, be disappointing and he knows that) this appears to be the case.

Tavros' "character arc" is that he suffered and was put upon and then died. Feferi's "character arc" is that she abandoned her duties as moirail and died. Kanaya's "character arc" is that she had unrequited love and then died. Am I wrong in thinking that seeing these characters fulfill their potentials and grow would be immensely more satisfying and awesome than watching their cold, dead corpses hit the floor? I thought that was the point. Hell if they merely survived to the end of the story, at least there would remain the potential of them growing up and finding fulfillment.

The matriorb being destroyed was essentially genocide. I thought the trolls had a chance as a race. I thought they were supposed to make a new future along with the humans, with each race complementing the others' strengths and softening their weaknesses. I thought that was the point.

To say the least, it wasn't. I guess I didn't know what I was reading. I thought those characters had a purpose beyond me watching them take turns dying pointlessly. I thought the trolls had a purpose as a race. It's like getting a plate of spaghetti and finding a huge slimy worm nestled in the next bite. I didn't fucking want that; if I did I would have gone to a bait shop instead of the motherfucking olive garden. Okay, that got away from me. Anyway.

I'm reminded of this conversation between Dave and Terezi:

TG: and its just a big game you set up to watch me squirm over weird mortality issues while you giggle
    GC: Y34H
    GC: SO?????
    TG: so
    TG: i guess
    TG: well played??????

So, I guess, well played Hussie. I'm not sure what you intended me to feel. Is that what an authorial masterstroke is supposed to feel like? Recent events seem less like something Hussie is responsible for and more like a fanfiction written by a mildly disturbed individual.

Anyway, rant off. While my heart tells me to quit in a huff, logically that doesn't make sense. Hussie is right to point out that the story is still progressing and we should give him the benefit of the doubt. Plus I still enjoy making it. Soldier on.

Crimson King on
    edited February 2011
    I'm sad to see a favorite character go, but that is just the way death can be. Most people don't go out a hero guys!

I'm also sort of in the camp that saw Equius as more than just a gag character. I mean, he definitely was, but pretty much all the characters have been gag ones to one extent or the other. They were almost all more relevant than him, let's not fool ourselves, but he was pretty emotionally complicated. It's just sad to see that not go any further.

Although I still find it unlikely we'll never see him again. At the very least he and Aradia will meet up again in whatever after death thing there is which keeps being alluded to. Or at least that's my take as to what she was talking to Nepeta about.

The problem I have with taking any of the characters emotions seriously is that they all seem uh

well, whats the point

Everybody is so static cardboard that the only way they seem capable of change is to literally turn into a different character.

I gotta quit reading comics for girls.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
    edited February 2011
    Also, the formspring is becoming a bit depressing to read. The only questions Andrew seems to answer are the ones he wants to make fun of or point out as stupid and/or wrong.

Cilla Black on
    edited February 2011
    Zoel wrote: »

The problem I have with taking any of the characters emotions seriously is that they all seem uh

well, whats the point

Everybody is so static cardboard that the only way they seem capable of change is to literally turn into a different character.

I gotta quit reading comics for girls.

They're not all that static cardboard though. I'm not sure what you're claiming here!

Cilla Black on
    edited February 2011
    Perhaps I am simply too oblivious to understand the meaningful and interesting changes to the characters.

Zoel on
    edited February 2011
    zoel: actively reading a comic he doesn't quite enjoy all the way

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another food troll gone :(

VoproSTEIN on
    edited February 2011
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »

food troll???????

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
    edited February 2011
    Zoel wrote: »
    Perhaps I am simply too oblivious to understand the meaningful and interesting changes to the characters.

Perhaps, if you'll read more closely instead of being mr. snarky snark with all the snark you'll notice I didn't say there were meaningful and interesting changes to the characters!

You don't go from static development straight to INCREDIBLE DYNAMIC development. There is plenty of in between and pretty much every single conversation we have with a troll increases his or her development. Hussie is really good at it!

Equius was still pretty much the same character he always was, and I won't ever claim otherwise, but especially with this flash we got more insight about him. Unless you were just missing something in the flash, you cannot say he had no development whatsoever.

Cilla Black on
  • VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    VoproSTEIN wrote: »

food troll???????

keep on your toes crwth

VoproSTEIN on
    edited February 2011
    crwth wrote: »
    zoel: actively reading a comic he doesn't quite enjoy all the way

perhaps the individuals so committed to my enjoyment of said comic should refrain from pestering me about it

j u s t s a y i n

Zoel on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I did like this one
    What would have been interesting is Feferi joining Eridan, even just to talk him out of his plan, and having the highbloods as an antagonistic force vs those lower on the hemospectrum. How often do you lock yourself out of interesting ideas?

It does not sound like I locked myself out of an interesting idea.

It sounds like I locked myself out of your fan fiction.

Grey Ghost on
This discussion has been closed.