As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any suggestions for decent headphones?

robotbeboprobotbebop Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm moving at the end of the month into another basement suite that is closer to my job, the owners of the house have a family and such, so I'm probably not going to be able to make a lot of noise without disrupting them.

I'd like to get a solid pair of headphones that are reasonably priced, at the very least they have to sound good but surround sound would be preferable.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

Oh, hey I'm making a game! Check it out: Dr. Weirdo!
robotbebop on

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is this for just PC? Xbox? PS3?

The top of the line are Astro A40s. I just bought some for $270 + $20 rechargeable battery.

Turtle Beach or Triton make serviceable gaming headsets.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is this for just PC? Xbox? PS3?

The top of the line are Astro A40s. I just bought some for $270 + $20 rechargeable battery.

Turtle Beach or Triton make serviceable gaming headsets.

$270 is a bit out of my immediate price range. Ideally I'd want to use them on my TV and my PC.

robotbebop on
    Do not feel trapped by the need to achieve anything, this way you achieve everything.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Weretaco on
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    billwillbillwill Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Weretaco wrote: »

I fucking love you man. Audio Technica is amazing, especially when comparing cost to results.

Though at that price range, you might as well get the A700s. They cost pretty much the same, and the 700s sound slightly better than the 500s.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296535604&sr=1-2

billwill on
    I hate you and you hate me.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like Sennheiser better than A-T
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296535985&sr=8-1

Sturdy as shit. My pair has lasted 5 years so far, my roommate has a pair he claims he's had for a few more years than me.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you don't have to have a mic for gaming, I've enjoyed Sennheisers. No experience with Audio Technica but I have heard some good reviews.

Still... A40s! :D I hope it is like Jesus and Buddha whispering sweet nothings in my ear, but I won't know til Wednesday.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have some Sennheiser HD555s and absolutely love them.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Aioua wrote: »
    I like Sennheiser better than A-T
    http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296535985&sr=8-1

Sturdy as shit. My pair has lasted 5 years so far, my roommate has a pair he claims he's had for a few more years than me.

Sennheiser makes good headphones, but per dollar Audio Technica gives you the best bang for your buck.

Anyway, the model you listed is geared for portability... if the OP is considering those, I suggest he also look towards these:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1296536958&sr=1-1

The M50s are the most solid choice you can get in the 100 dollar price range (if you plan on taking them with you on the bus, to school, etc). A note on the price, though... it varies greatly depending on the day you check, and I personally picked them up for 103 dollars a few months back. If you do decide on these, just keep on checking and I'm sure you'll find it cheaper.

billwill on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    These are looking pretty good for general stereo suggestions, does anybody have anything they can recommend in surround as well?

robotbebop on

• Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If budget is really a big issue look no further than Audio Technica ATH-M30s (really liking all the AT love in this thread). Great cans, similar driver to the M50's but with with slightly cheaper materials in the padding/leather. Still sound amazing, though.

I'm not a fan of surround headphones, so I'm afraid I can't give any suggestions that regard.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My work sells Skullcandy headphones, but I haven't heard anything about them. Are they any good?

Slider on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Slider wrote: »
    My work sells Skullcandy headphones, but I haven't heard anything about them. Are they any good?

The in-ear Skull Candy's are adequate. The over-ears are pretty poor.

billwill on
  • Options
    Project MayhemProject Mayhem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sennheiser HD 280's are pretty decent, and around $100. They take a few hours to wear in and get comfortable, but after that they're great.

Project Mayhem on
  • Options
    MoudisMoudis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Another Audio-Technica suggestion: Audio-Technica ATH-AD700.

I've owned a pair for about a year now, very comfortable overall. The only caveat is that they won't fit anyone with a small noggin very well, as far as I know. They do come with a screw-on 1/4" adapter so you can use it with a receiver / TV / etc., as well.

This HardOCP review is actually what drove me to get them.

Moudis on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JigawikJigawik Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I use the Koss MV1 personally. It has served me well over for everything from sound editing to just general music listening. The padding was kind of hard to get used to, but it stays pretty comfortable even over a long period of time.

If you're looking for earbuds, Skullcandy and Sennheiser offer some reasonably priced earbuds.

In general, from my experience, Sennheiser and Koss offer very nice headsets. I haven't had any experience with Audio Technica, but I've heard good things. I also have several friends who swear by Bose.

Jigawik on
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought a pair of Steel Series Siberia from Woot when they were on sale and have been loving them ever since.
    http://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Siberia-51016-Headphones-White/dp/B002SN9RN8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296603710&sr=1-4

They're incredibly comfortable but look goofy as hell. The over the ear padding is made from a very soft felt and the band that touches the top of your head is made from a similar material. They may not stack up audiophile wise to the other suggestions but they sound great and are very reasonable in cost.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png