As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Dawn of War II: Retribution - Buying DLC for the Greater Good

• Options
    altidaltid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love this game - but have an absolute loathing for a good number of the people playing it. See how many of these you've come across:

1. The guy with the 2000 ping. To everyone. I know it could be a beta thing, but I'm willing to bet they're just being stupid and running torrents at the same time.

2. The guy with the open mic. This one I don't mind as much, because finding the menu to disable it seems impossible from in game (or at least I haven't found it yet)

3. The guy who point blank refuses to concede. Even when you're a full tech tier down, have no power, no req points, not much of an army left and generally no hope this guy will still refuse to concede - preffering instead to have everyone act as a punching bag for the 3-4 mins it will take to run down the remaining points counter.

I could go on, but honestly I'm just annoyed at guy number 3.

I've been playing the Commisar a bit and while he's decent - I can't really think of anything he actually does outside of hit stuff with his sword. When it comes to wargear you basically get a better weapon each tier, armour I'm mostly buying for the health and the accessory for healing the commissar or artillery (the one for healing troops seems a bit tricky to use so far). As it stands, I just think that making his default ability render a squad unable to retreat is too risky in T1 fights - that is if you haven't blown all your energy on the shield anyway.

altid on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Anyone up for a friendly game? I'm not particularly good, but wouldn't mind playing something other than the AI.

Steam name is Frolic, The Handsome Rake

I'm not that good (I assume anyway, spend most of my time playing against the AI) and I'll be indisposed tonight, but here's my steam ID if you would like to add it for possible future gameage.

Iblis on
    Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also wouldn't mind playing with some pa folks. Be nice then some of the random mouthbreathers you run into in the random que. And this is coming from me, who is probably in the lower 25% of skill level.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Also wouldn't mind playing with some pa folks. Be nice then some of the random mouthbreathers you run into in the random que. And this is coming from me, who is probably in the lower 25% of skill level.

I miss the old days of not having mics. Feel free to friend me.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I swear I select push to talk in the options, but I keep piping anyways. It very odd.

Has anyone determined how you can tell what you've unlocked through ranks yet?

Can you unlock things through ranks in the beta even?

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Autarch feels pretty weak, but I may just not know which of her upgrades is any good, and its kinda bullshit she can only upgrade 1 of the 3. Last I checked, Weirdboy and Librarian could both fully upgrade their 2ndary commanders.

When super units hit the field, Eldar are pretty fucked. The big strength of Avatar is his aura, which is only going to be buffing Piercing dmg type or uber frail banshees, which is fairly useless when you are trying to fight Swarmlords and Baneblades or Land Raiders. This is kinda compounded by Relic nerfing Avatar HP and dmg to lower his cost in the last major balance patch of CR.

It also feels like Orks need a lot of work. Slugga squad is just too slow and fragile. Too slow to be a good back capper, and too fragile to lead charges on other T1 units. The new Battlewagon sounds like a Looted Tank with an extra gimmick or two, which dont actually make it more powerful.

Also running into a number of fucking annoying bugs, twice now I have re-setup a team to point at an enemy, and they refused to fire. Also had an instance where Banshees refused to melee, and stayed at the edge of the fight so I couldnt scream suppress the blob.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    _Debaser__Debaser_ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, a solid year of playing Starcraft II has made me absolutely terrible at Dawn of War II. If anyone could give me some general play tips or even some advice for Tyranids in particular I would appreciate it. It seems that everything I produce gets devastated by space marines and I easily fall behind the minute my opponent gets to tier 2.

Hell, even a link would definitely help at this point.

_Debaser_ on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The autarch is pretty good.

Also, the grenade strike when she lands can pretty much oneshot a falcon. I'm not super experienced with her but I've seen her used to great effect.

And the avatar is also great. Get some level 3-4 banshees around him and they'll get reallllly nasty... and his main downward slice ability really clears out infantry.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The autarch is pretty good.

Also, the grenade strike when she lands can pretty much oneshot a falcon. I'm not super experienced with her but I've seen her used to great effect.

And the avatar is also great. Get some level 3-4 banshees around him and they'll get reallllly nasty... and his main downward slice ability really clears out infantry.

That downslice also destroys buildings, such as pesky turrets. Those grenades are pretty good, but the only utility I get from the Autarch is on the drop, so I can tie up any nasty ranged units that are trying to kill my Wraithlords/Banshees. If I don't keep her out of the game, she ends up dead rather quick.

Have to say, I don't know if they've buffed the Warlock or not, but he is a dream. I was fighting a 3v3 and got paired against Eldar with the Warp Spider Exarch, who had a penchant for spamming Guardians. I responded by teching into the Immolator, and managed to use a Grenade to force his units back into the burning ground I set down; I followed up with his psychic blast and wiped out a unit and a half of Guardians. My Banshees managed to pin down his Exarch somehow, and my Warlock was level 3 in the first two minutes of the game. He ended at level 8, before I could even get to tech 3.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have once again forgotten who recommended the Gaunt's Ghosts books, but I've started in to the first of The Founding.

And you were right. I can already tell I'm going to enjoy this. And there is so much to be enjoyed.

Also, I'll be joining beta next week when it goes out to anyone with DoW2 on steam. I just don't have the spare change to pre-purchase yet.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    such horseshit, I keep getting the crash to desktop when trying to get the game results screen, so I submit the bug report, and it tells me:

we totally fixed that bug already, you didnt just experience it.

fucking retarded.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm... Aparently, A Regular and Venerable Dreadnought, backed by a Techmarine is enough to take out a Baneblade and a Land Raider, one after the other.

Granted, other than the super units, the closest thing they had to AV before the SM player called in Assault termies when the Baneblade was dead and the Land Raider at 50% (and won the match because of them) were plasma tacs ... I suspect the end result would have been very different if those tacs had missile launchers, or I had started running away like they probably expected. :P

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RiddoxRiddox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As ridiculously OP as the LR and the Swarmlord are... they are kinda fun. The LR is a brand new HQ that has a healing aura that's better than the one at your base! Of course the Swarmlord is at his most funnest when surrounded by a swarm of never ending hormagaunts! Without number indeed! Forget the Swarmlord's "great tactics and strategies", he's Nidzilla, he'll just Zerg whatever's the problem!

For those who don't know, the Ork Wagon gets better the more squads it has inside. Besides activating more guns on it, the 3rd and 4th squad increase the Wagon's speed, very useful to have.

I'm not sure what they are going to do with the super units. As much fun as they are, they do kinda break the late game. They could super increase their costs, so they are very rare units, only ever seen in the most epic of games where the players are locked in an eternal stalemate, or they take the Avatar and GUO route, nerfing their performance till they are a normal part of the late game.

I don't think I have one great preference for these solutions but I do miss those replays that had EPIC MATCH 2 AVATARS AND A GUO in the title and it actually meant something.

I've been mostly playing FFAs and I've been having quite a bit of fun in them. I like FFAs in this game way more than I do in SC2.

Riddox on
    Gamertag: Ridley 8
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Riddox wrote: »
    As ridiculously OP as the LR and the Swarmlord are... they are kinda fun. The LR is a brand new HQ that has a healing aura that's better than the one at your base! Of course the Swarmlord is at his most funnest when surrounded by a swarm of never ending hormagaunts! Without number indeed! Forget the Swarmlord's "great tactics and strategies", he's Nidzilla, he'll just Zerg whatever's the problem!

For those who don't know, the Ork Wagon gets better the more squads it has inside. Besides activating more guns on it, the 3rd and 4th squad increase the Wagon's speed, very useful to have.

I'm not sure what they are going to do with the super units. As much fun as they are, they do kinda break the late game. They could super increase their costs, so they are very rare units, only ever seen in the most epic of games where the players are locked in an eternal stalemate, or they take the Avatar and GUO route, nerfing their performance till they are a normal part of the late game.

I don't think I have one great preference for these solutions but I do miss those replays that had EPIC MATCH 2 AVATARS AND A GUO in the title and it actually meant something.

I've been mostly playing FFAs and I've been having quite a bit of fun in them. I like FFAs in this game way more than I do in SC2.

It helps that in DoW2 you can tell who everyone needs to gang up on thanks to the VP counters, whereas the majority of SC2 FFAs I'm in are won by the guy everyone ignores until he comes at the survivors with a popcap-sized army to murder everything.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah DoW II keeps the action out in the field for the game, as opposed to concentrating on the base which makes it more hectic and fun.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Today has revealed I'm really fucking rusty.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It is difficult to extract enjoyment from this game.

I don't really know why.

Maybe I need to stop doing inhouses...

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Orks need a complete rework.

rts on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Team Lord General failed us today... Team Commissar was just too powerful :(

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't really know why.

In a, "This game is kind of boring" way, or

"FUCK MY DUMBASS TEAMMATES GAAH GRR, OH MY GOD MY UNITS AREN'T RETREATING, FFFU BUGS" sort of way?

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I don't really know why.

Why? you seemed to have a pretty powerful presence in that one 3v3 game we played and you were IG. OMG plasma guns melt my mans!

Kruite on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    When people do inhouses everyone gets angry, and then theres all sorts of rules that start getting made up, about what is sporting conduct in the absolute war simulator we are playing.

Better to fight unknowns with PA people on your team I think.

---

By the way Croak, Goomba's faith in relic is restored.

No joke. I know, I was shocked too.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I dunno

"No Baneblades" sounds like sporting conduct

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ---

What is this I don't even.

Croak on
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Croak wrote: »
    ---

What is this I don't even.

Nice. New Avatar.

How is Goomba's faith restored? Like what specifically restored it?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just bought DoWII, and got in the beta. I get that its just an online game and no big deal walking in blind, but where would a good place to start?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there a list anywhere of what units have changed (Nids, specifically)?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

As of right now, here are the changes from Chaos Rising to the beta.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

As of right now, here are the changes from Chaos Rising to the beta.

wow - they practically didn't change anything for the the Nids. I thought a couple of units like the Zoanthrop and Ravener could use some re-work.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh, I have heard rumors from about 4 different posters on the Relic and Dawn of War 2 Community forums that the 3v3 matchmaking has been fixed.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh, I have heard rumors from about 4 different posters on the Relic and Dawn of War 2 Community forums that the 3v3 matchmaking has been fixed.

Hopefully.

I'm coming to dislike 3v3. It's all I used to play but I'm finding 2v2 funner. Maybe it has to do with, in 3v3 if one of your teammates is bad, or loses in his lane, or whatever, then the entire team suffers and the game can be lost.

2v2, it's a lot more even. One lane can be bad and the game isn't lost. You can come back from it.

Evil Weevil on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Hopefully.

I'm coming to dislike 3v3. It's all I used to play but I'm finding 2v2 funner. Maybe it has to do with, in 3v3 if one of your teammates is bad, or loses in his lane, or whatever, then the entire team suffers and the game can be lost.

2v2, it's a lot more even. One lane can be bad and the game isn't lost. You can come back from it.

See, I've had the exact opposite experince; 80% of my 2v2 games, the team with the least compent player loses, no matter how much better the other half of the team plays to make up for it.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It did seem to work fairly well last night.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I dunno

"No Baneblades" sounds like sporting conduct

It does... but I've done this dance before.

It starts with no "unit"... then you cant follow people into their base, even with units immune to turrets... then you cant attack retreating units with grenades or other abilities... then you cant attack retreating units period.

It ends with everyone yelling and angry at each other for the various ways they've violated the rules, which are largely invented on the spot by the person who just had his mans killed.
    The Gerbil wrote:
    How is Goomba's faith restored? Like what specifically restored it?

General level of improvement from vanilla till now. Nothing specific, but just a general how much better the game has gotten.

He does however still want increased mobility on the eldar platforms, and increased speed on the eldar tanks.

The platform thing needs some thought as to how to balance it, but Eldar tanks being the slowest in the game really is just silly.

You don't make a tank fly if it means its less mobile than driving around on wheels.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the eldar just don't have enough faith in their vehicles that's all

SJ on
  • Options
    Chicago TedChicago Ted Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Oh wow I'm terrible at this game

Chicago Ted on
    Steam name: Chicago Ted.
    96cce.png
    oh god I am not good at battlefield
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So am I, I have no idea what I am doing....

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    pedro0930pedro0930 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Watch some replays help. I recommend getting in game with a decent player in 2v2.

One big difference between 1v1 and 2v2 is that the frontage is much narrow most of the time, so you don't have to control units all across the map like in 1v1.

pedro0930 on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been trying to get into FFAs in the beta, and I just cannot do it, I've waited for a half an hour maybe and not found a single other person out the 2000+ on.

WHERE IS EVERYONE!?!?

Huntera on