As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This thread costs 50 Canadian dollars a post to read

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    2011114-jack_layton.jpg

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    did you see the letter layton wrote to somebody about UBB? he used the phrase "prime directive" lmao

I always said that Layton was Patrick Stewart + mustache.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jack layton is such a trustworthy looking man

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I actually don't mind Layton, I kind of like him, but I could never vote NDP

Al_wat on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Since we're on the subject, this site is pretty neat:
    http://www.cablemap.info/

It's a display of all the undersea data cables in the world, present and planned.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Both

I usually vote Liberal. I don't like Ignatieff, but I despise Harper.

I don't hate all the things Harper has done (I am actually in favour of that F-35 purchase) but I do hate most of them. And I hate his style. Its Canadian republicanism.
    Also a lot of my ancestors were politicians in the conservative party back in the day. Pretty sure they'd be rolling in their graves if I voted NDP

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We should just call up a meeting of all the non-conservative Canadians and agree on which party we're voting for so we can get some shit done.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Al god damn listen take one for the team. We need to unite as a country in civility.

Against the conservatives.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I already said im voting liberal

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    We're gonna get a minority conservative government again aren't we.

We should send some guys to the prairies to start up a couple more right-wing parties to split up THEIR votes too.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I pay less than 40 USD per month for 100mbit down 100mbit up :o

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also I just thought of this.

My MP Marc Holland (Liberal) is known as a major thorn in the side of the conservatives. So I'd be voting for him directly as well.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I love how we have the exact opposite problem the US has. They have only two parties so nothing gets accomplished because there's too much division and not a wide enough array of possible positions to vote on.

We get nothing accomplished because our votes get split up too much.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SimBen wrote: »
    I love how we have the exact opposite problem the US has. They have only two parties so nothing gets accomplished because there's too much division and not a wide enough array of possible positions to vote on.

We get nothing accomplished because our votes get split up too much.

If we had Canadian/British party discipline here we'd probably have 3-4 parties as well.

Edit: For example, there's no way the New Deal Coalition could've existed with strict party discipline, or at least it would've collapsed a lot earlier than 1968.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have done it! I have connected to the heavenly peers! I will now download the moon itself!

unless you send me one billion estonian kroons in unmarked coins

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Remember when rogers (i think?) essentially doubled the cost of text messaging by starting to charge for receiving messages cause they felt like it?

And then the other cell phone companies went, well fuck that's a good idea, so they did it too

hurray for canadian competition

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My verizon ISP just changed it's name and now Youtube is always slow even though I have the same speed everywhere else I go. Seems like shenanigans.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »
    My verizon ISP just changed it's name and now Youtube is always slow even though I have the same speed everywhere else I go. Seems like shenanigans.
    I hate Verizon. They robocall us and send us mail at least all the time to try to get us to buy their TV service no matter how many times we tell them that we do not and never will want it. And we have no way out because the only other option is Comcast, who are even worse.

Coinage on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    my phone plan is for $50 a month and i get 200mb

dude you are seriously getting buttfucked.

I pay $65 and get 3 gig.

Me too, I pay $63 a month and I get the good Telstra 3G

Oden on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    simben are you sure that these 'two companies' have anything at all to do with metering? if it's anything like australia they're wholesalers, and when they sell bandwidth to isps they're doing just that: selling a set amount of data transfered per second. it's the isps job to manage that bandwidth as it's used by the customers, and if the demand is high and the supply poor they're going to have to deal with that in their prices, and by somehow encouraging lower usage

what you see in your metered monthly bill from a retail isp is likely very much departed from what goes on between them and bell. you're paying mostly for the isp's margin. as such there's certainly going to be a lot of room for competition. some places will work hard to make money by providing a competitive price and managing their bandwidth carefully. others will use their big names to exploit consumers. but those don't last forever. slowly, begrudgingly, they have to follow the market.

The companies supplying the smaller ISPs are ISPs themselves and this is where the problem lies. In the past, the major ISPs (most of whom did have bandwidth caps in one form or another) were limited in how much they could charge for going over the caps, because there was the chance of smaller ISPs undercutting them. Now that they can force the smaller ISPs that are using their copper wiring to impose caps, that competition is gone, and the "Indie" ISPs are reduced to being resellers for the major telcos, rather than competitors.

So yes, internet rates in Canada are about to go up for a lot of people, because there is no way for anyone to compete with the major ISPs. Also, as others have pointed out, this isn't just about controlling internet pricing, it's also about protecting their interests as Cable Television providers - it would be very naive to not see this as a way to make alternatives such as Netflix (or piracy) more expensive.

To quote Netflix's official response:
    "Wired ISPs have large fixed costs of building and maintaining their last mile network of residential cable and fiber. The ISPs' costs, however, to deliver a marginal gigabyte, which is about an hour of viewing, from one of our regional interchange points over their last mile wired network to the consumer is less than a penny, and falling, so there is no reason that pay-per-gigabyte is economically necessary. Moreover, at $1 per gigabyte over wired networks, it would be grossly overpriced."

Yes, if they really are having issues with bandwidth hogs something needs to be done, but they already had an answer to that with throttling.

Also, "we've been getting ripped off for years, so it's cool that other people are too" is a really shitty attitude.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bandwidth hog is a misnomer. The ISPs like to use that term to pass the blame back to their paying customers, but really what's happening is they're vastly overselling their bandwidth, when they don't have the capability to provide it for even a small subset of their users simultaneously.

Brolo on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    simben are you sure that these 'two companies' have anything at all to do with metering? if it's anything like australia they're wholesalers, and when they sell bandwidth to isps they're doing just that: selling a set amount of data transfered per second. it's the isps job to manage that bandwidth as it's used by the customers, and if the demand is high and the supply poor they're going to have to deal with that in their prices, and by somehow encouraging lower usage

what you see in your metered monthly bill from a retail isp is likely very much departed from what goes on between them and bell. you're paying mostly for the isp's margin. as such there's certainly going to be a lot of room for competition. some places will work hard to make money by providing a competitive price and managing their bandwidth carefully. others will use their big names to exploit consumers. but those don't last forever. slowly, begrudgingly, they have to follow the market.

The companies supplying the smaller ISPs are ISPs themselves and this is where the problem lies. In the past, the major ISPs (most of whom did have bandwidth caps in one form or another) were limited in how much they could charge for going over the caps, because there was the chance of smaller ISPs undercutting them. Now that they can force the smaller ISPs that are using their copper wiring to impose caps, that competition is gone, and the "Indie" ISPs are reduced to being resellers for the major telcos, rather than competitors.

So yes, internet rates in Canada are about to go up for a lot of people, because there is no way for anyone to compete with the major ISPs. Also, as others have pointed out, this isn't just about controlling internet pricing, it's also about protecting their interests as Cable Television providers - it would be very naive to not see this as a way to make alternatives such as Netflix (or piracy) more expensive.

To quote Netflix's official response:
    "Wired ISPs have large fixed costs of building and maintaining their last mile network of residential cable and fiber. The ISPs' costs, however, to deliver a marginal gigabyte, which is about an hour of viewing, from one of our regional interchange points over their last mile wired network to the consumer is less than a penny, and falling, so there is no reason that pay-per-gigabyte is economically necessary. Moreover, at $1 per gigabyte over wired networks, it would be grossly overpriced."

Yes, if they really are having issues with bandwidth hogs something needs to be done, but they already had an answer to that with throttling.

Also, "we've been getting ripped off for years, so it's cool that other people are too" is a really shitty attitude.

Man, I know I'm not intimate with the situation at all. But this bolded statement is true in Australia as well, where both #pipe and bsjezz are talking from. The smaller ISPs which are reselling still manage to keep the larger ones in check here.

I am 95% sure that OPTUS and Telstra own all the Infrastructure in the country.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stim - can OPTUS and Telstra dictate what the smaller ISPs can charge? The issue isn't just that the smaller ISPs are reliant on the major ones - that sucks, but it's been the case for years. The issue now is that the bigger ISPs have been given permission to drastically increase what they're charging the smaller ones, effectively controlling the pricing of their competition.

Besides, I don't know enough about the situation in Aus/NZ to say for certain whether what we have coming in is worse, but that doesn't matter. Shitty is shitty, and the fact that other people are also being ripped off doesn't make the amount we're being ripped off any less.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, in Canada Bell and Rogers were granted large amounts of taxpayer money in order to build the infrastructure needed for all of the last-mile copper, with the expectation that smaller ISPs would be able to wholesale purchase and re-sell access to these lines, in order to ensure competition.

Bell then lobbied the CRTC (which is primarily composed of highly connected ex-telco executives) to be let out of its end of the agreement, stating they couldn't have forseen that people would possibly use the bandwidth that they actually paid for, and that if they did their network would become congested and slow.

So now the CRTC has agreed to UBB, which lets Bell vastly inflate its wholesale prices, which means TekSavvy (my ISP) has to lower its cap from 200GB a month down to 25GB a month. Hooray!

Brolo on
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I unfortunately do not know how much the smaller ISPs are paying for their bandwidth. But thank you for clarifying that this lets the larger ISPs charge more than they previously were to the smaller ones, that actually helps me see what is going on.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stim - can OPTUS and Telstra dictate what the smaller ISPs can charge? The issue isn't just that the smaller ISPs are reliant on the major ones - that sucks, but it's been the case for years. The issue now is that the bigger ISPs have been given permission to drastically increase what they're charging the smaller ones, effectively controlling the pricing of their competition.

Besides, I don't know enough about the situation in Aus/NZ to say for certain whether what we have coming in is worse, but that doesn't matter. Shitty is shitty, and the fact that other people are also being ripped off doesn't make the amount we're being ripped off any less.
    Thats not the case at all. They have permission to advertise differentally. That is all.

They could have charged more last week as well.

But they didn't!

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Blake T wrote: »

Thats not the case at all. They have permission to advertise differentally. That is all.

They could have charged more last week as well.

But they didn't!

Have you actually researched this?

Here's the actual decision.
    The Commission approves, with changes, applications by Bell Aliant and Bell Canada to introduce an economic Internet traffic management practice for their wholesale Residence Gateway Access Services (GAS). The Commission also approves an additional speed option for each of Residence GAS and Business GAS. The dissenting opinion of Commissioner Molnar is attached.
    Introduction
    1. On 13 March 2009, the Commission received applications by Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership (Bell Aliant) and Bell Canada (collectively, the Bell companies) to introduce two new speed options for their wholesale Gateway Access Services (GAS):[1] one for Business GAS and one for Residence GAS. The Bell companies' applications also proposed to introduce usage-based billing (UBB) rates for wholesale Residence GAS.
    2. According to the Bell companies' proposal, for each Residence GAS speed option, a GAS Internet service provider (ISP) would pay the following for each of its end-users:
    a monthly flat-rate charge that would cover both Internet access and an Internet usage allowance, up to a predetermined threshold (usage threshold);
    a per-gigabyte (GB) rate for monthly usage generated by the end-user above the usage threshold (overage), which would be capped;
    a per-GB charge for usage in excess of 300 GB monthly for a GAS ISP's end-user (excessive usage charge) if, and when, the Bell companies introduce a corresponding charge for their retail residential Internet service (retail Internet service) customers on UBB plans at that time.

That is specifically a request to change how they bill, not for internet access, but for use of the "last mile" connection to the customer, infrastructure which Bell and the other major telcos own, but which was heavily subsidized by canadian taxpayers. It's not a change in how they advertise, it's a change in how they charge allowing them to force UBB on other ISPs.

this is a pretty good summary/explanation of the issue.
    The use of UBB is not new. The CRTC approved its use by cable providers over ten years ago. The original reasoning – that cable Internet is shared by hundreds of people and that measures may be needed to address network congestion – may have been reasonable in light of the particular time and technology. However, the current UBB regulatory fight involves a much different set of circumstances.

First, the regulated GAS is not an Internet service but rather a connection between end users and the independent ISP. The actual provision of Internet services comes from the independent ISP, not from Bell. Independent ISPs need the GAS in order to reach the end users themselves, since only telco and cable companies have the “last mile” connection to the customer. Many countries require some form of open access to this last mile in order to enhance competition among Internet providers.

Second, while the independent ISPs are independent operators, the recent regulatory history makes it clear that Bell would like to turn them into little more than resellers of Bell’s residential Internet services. By imposing UBB at the wholesale level, Bell ensures that independent ISPs cannot significantly distinguish their services from Bell’s – both will face identical caps, limitations, and deep packet inspection. This will greatly undermine the competitive environment among independent ISPs, who already face enormous challenges competing with companies that can offer deep discounts on Internet services by bundling a wide range of additional services (local phone, long distance, TV, and wireless).

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wait, are you and Blake talking about the same ISPs here?

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think Blake is telling us about how the CRTC decision actually works.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Apparently we've all completely misunderstood the whole situation and there's nothing to get upset about.

Also, even if we were being ripped off (which we're not), it'd be okay because other people are being ripped off in other parts of the world.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So we have the Internet, perhaps the most powerful tool for democratisation in human history, and it's controlled entirely by brute corporations who cannot be gainsaid.

At some point something is going to have to be done about this.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You're jerking it off over nothing.

If it doesn't go up give me an apology.

If it does go up, well I'd apologize but you won't be able to afford the Internet so I can't apologize to you.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So we have the Internet, perhaps the most powerful tool for democratisation in human history, and it's controlled entirely by brute corporations who cannot be gainsaid.

At some point something is going to have to be done about this.

You are talking this up a bit too much.

You are paying a private enterprise to provide you a service. The same as last week.

Except you weren't typing dumb shit.

Well to be honest, you probably were.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    welp, Rolo's already received notice from his ISP that his bandwidth cap is dropping to 1/8th of what he's currently getting, for the same price he's currently paying.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fortunately there are some very big corporations on the other side of this that are also getting screwed by the ISPs, and they also have substantial amounts of money to lobby lawmakers with.

With the Tech industry promoting cloud-based services and streaming so heavily, a lot of money is invested in making sure people don't suddenly start conserving their bandwidth.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rolo wrote: »
    Fortunately there are some very big corporations on the other side of this that are also getting screwed by the ISPs, and they also have substantial amounts of money to lobby lawmakers with.

With the Tech industry promoting cloud-based services and streaming so heavily, a lot of money is invested in making sure people don't suddenly start conserving their bandwidth.

...and thus began the first of the Corporate Wars.

Crimson King on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wimble wrote: »
    I pay less than 40 USD per month for 100mbit down 100mbit up :o

Curse you!

The Swes in work are always going on about how cheap and amazing their internet is.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, I don't expect a private enterprise to do anything other than try to make as much money as they can get away with. That's their job.

The problem is, we helped them build the infrastructure they're using to squeeze extra money out of us, and the government body that oversees their use of that infrastructure has decided to go along with letting them do so. It's the CRTC decision that I disagree with.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Internet is pretty cool, bandwidth limits are pretty lame.

Also I suppose I am just saying that because of Steam. Go steam.

I pay like 70 bucks a month for only 20 megabits down 1 and a half up.

Can this be a computer thread too? I am thinking of building my brother a new PC for around 300-400 bucks.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also, I don't expect a private enterprise to do anything other than try to make as much money as they can get away with. That's their job.

The problem is, we helped them build the infrastructure they're using to squeeze extra money out of us, and the government body that oversees their use of that infrastructure has decided to go along with letting them do so. It's the CRTC decision that I disagree with.

The problem is basically that there's no reason for there to be competition, since there can't be more than three or four actors in the marketplace and they gain more by collaboration then competition. So a small group of people have absolute power over an increasingly vital service which it is frequently in their interests to limit - a service which theoretically functions to disseminate power among as wide a group of people as possible.

WOO FREE MARKET

Crimson King on