As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Deadlands] The Weird West (OOC)

• Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Deadlands Reloaded it is. Zed, if you still would like to play, I'd get some pregens and read the test drive, we'll help you out for customizing and futzing with things. Don't worry about not knowing the rules, it's my first time DMing a PbP, so there's gonna be a bit of a learning curve. We're all in this for fun afterall :)

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sweet! I'll start in on my stats tonight and hopefully have something up this evening.

Radical Ans on
  • CelebrimCelebrim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay will work on my character tonight as well. I have DLR, but not the main Savage Worlds book. I'll stop by the FLGS tonight and try to find it or use the test drive rules above.

Celebrim on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Celebrim wrote: »
    Okay will work on my character tonight as well. I have DLR, but not the main Savage Worlds book. I'll stop by the FLGS tonight and try to find it or use the test drive rules above.

They should have the copy of the Explorer's edition, very agreeable $10 price. If not, like with Zed, us other crazies can help you out.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I'll go with Plays With Fire from those pregens.

He seems like exactly the kind of character that I'll be a player.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2011
    Right then, one character for you! "Plays With Fire" I think the pregens started at first level, so congrats! You get 20 xp (which means you need to level up 4 times) starting off.

I think we'll start people off Seasoned, unless people think it would be better to start at the level one?

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    That's fine by me. Whatever works for what you have planned.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Ah, well, then, since I took Veteran o' the Weird West, does that mean I get another rank up? :)

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Oh, any plans I've got are easily shifted and messed about with. I'm just hoping I don't have a TPK on the first day cause I mess up the balance.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Eh, if we don't take some hard knocks in the first few encounters, I'll be surprised.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Ohh, never mind that level up then. Heh, I'll just draw a card for you then...According to the rules, I'm supposed to give a cackle of evil laughter at this point. Bwahaha!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Ohh, never mind that level up then. Heh, I'll just draw a card for you then...According to the rules, I'm supposed to give a cackle of evil laughter at this point. Bwahaha!

Yes, yes, I know, I decided to take the Way of the Munchkin, and now I shall pay for it... :twisted:

EDIT: And it pays off in the RP Department! Thanks Marshal!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Heh, anytime, good ol Random.org. I've got a plan for drawing Fate Chips as well. I figure I'll roll a d(chip count) with 1-5 being white, 5-15 being red or something like that, and adjust the number as need be.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    I like that idea for fate chips. I was kind of wondering how you'd handle them online, but that seems to work fine.

On a related note, are you using an actual deck of cards for initiative or some kind of online equivalent?

Radical Ans on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So am I supposed to level up?

Ye gawds I am lost right now.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2011
    Very sorry Zed, no, you're not supposed to level, your char is good as is. That was a mistake on my part, Matev took a perk that let him start at a higher level, but also had to draw on a "Screw over the Munchkin" table. Heh, believe me, he could've drawn a reeeealy bad one. Like missing an arm or any positive magic won't work on him.

And now, back to sleep. Stupid GMT+5:30....

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jacob Harrison
    [strike]Advocate[/strike] Gunslinger.
    After a short education in legal matters, Jacob Harrison had cemented his place in Milledgeville society---a rented office, five blocks away from the courthouse, in a dark alley, on the inside of a coffeehouse.

Business was surprisingly good, and so, having something to brag about, Jacob decided to check up on his family.

John, his brother, had gone West, Phyllis had married an Englishman and promptly disappeared off the face of the earth. His mother was nowhere to be found, and Jacob could barely recognize his father underneath all of the finery he was wearing.

Something was wrong, and the young man vowed to get to the bottom of it. His one-man crusade ended soon after it began.

Edith Upwards on
    edited February 2011
    K Erich, looks good, but I don't think you're not supposed to be Seasoned unless you took the "Veteran of the Weird West" perk. Matev is, but he also had to roll on the Weird West table which has some nasty things in it.

And I could be wrong about this, heh, don't hesitate to tell me.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    My mistake. I saw extra exp and began plotting eeevil without even making sure of what I was reading.

Edith Upwards on
    edited February 2011
    Plus you have to take Hindrances to take Edges, hence my wanteds and phobias and enemies and wotnot. I like them though, helps tell my character's story.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    We still get free Edges for being human, right?

Edith Upwards on
    edited February 2011
    Not in Deadlands, I don't think, probably cause everyone's human. According to the book, You may take one Major Hindrance (worth 2 points) and two Minor Hindrances (worth 1 point each). You may take additional Hindrances beyond this, but you do not gain points for them.

For 2 Hindrance points you can:
    - Raise an attribute one die type.
    - Choose an Edge.
    For 1 Hindrance point you can:
    - Gain another skill point.
    - Gain an additional $250.

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Ah, we do still get a free Edge. I thought that was in there somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I was looking it over last night. Alright, I've got another Edge I can take then.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    We do? Hm...must've missed that. Alright, one free edge for all!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    We do? Hm...must've missed that. Alright, one free edge for all!

If they're making their own character and derped like us and didn't read it.... :?

EDIT: There, all fixed

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    I'll have mine up today. Just gotta tweak the background.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    No worries, working on a setting and a basic story to do a shakedown with, hopefully you'll enjoy it!

Ghostly Clockwork on

HLRpxno.png
    edited February 2011
    Got the book last night but didn't have a chance to work on anything. I brought them in to work so I should have something later today.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    New to Savage Worlds so I could use a review. If this looks okay, I will advance it.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    I'll scrutinize it a bit further, but at first blush it's looking good. The equipment's my main thing I'm worried about. Last I checked, Ghost Rock was prohibitively expensive, and we only start with $250, unless you used your hindrances for extra money....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    I'll also submit my character for approval.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    Looking good RA, Reporter, Mad Scientist, Gambler, and Indian. I sense good times ahead.... :)

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Nope worked off of $500 for some reason. Was just trying to pick something that fit. The idea is a snake-oil salesman/inventor that figured out stuff that actually works.

Removed the 2lb ghost rock and $50.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    $500's the default in the Savage Worlds base book, Deadlands tweaks that down to $250, on account of dollars being so much more valuable in this time period. So, if you knocked that stuff off, you should be sitting pretty.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Yeah one of the main changes from setting to setting is the starting cash and gear types/prices. For example in Solomon Kane, which is set in the 17th century, you only start with £5, but prices are scaled to match. In Weird Wars: Tour of Darkness (Vietnam War w/ supernatural elements mixed in) you get no starting funds, but are issued equipment based on your mission.

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    I was going to advance into some better salesman ability (Sprirt/Persuasionx2/Charisma) but instead I learned to box (Agility/Fightingx2/Martial Arts).

I've updated my sheet to reflect the 20XP advances. Background to come.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    Celebrim wrote: »
    I was going to advance into some better salesman ability (Sprirt/Persuasionx2/Charisma) but instead I learned to box (Agility/Fightingx2/Martial Arts).

I've updated my sheet to reflect the 20XP advances. Background to come.

Did you take Veteran o' the Weird West? Cause otherwise, we're just starting at novice. (Except me, cause I took Vet of the West)

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited February 2011
    Bah reading. Saw this
    Right then, one character for you! "Plays With Fire" I think the pregens started at first level, so congrats! You get 20 xp (which means you need to level up 4 times) starting off.

I think we'll start people off Seasoned, unless people think it would be better to start at the level one?

And not this
    Ohh, never mind that level up then. Heh, I'll just draw a card for you
    then...According to the rules, I'm supposed to give a cackle of evil laughter at this point. Bwahaha!

Rolled back to 0 Exp.

Celebrim on
    edited February 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    Looking good RA, Reporter, Mad Scientist, Gambler, and Indian. I sense good times ahead.... :)

If we walk into a bar we could have the beginnings of a good joke

Radical Ans on
    edited February 2011
    If we walk into a bar we could have the beginnings of a good joke

We're missing the Priest.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra