As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finding Dance Clubs in NYC

DustyBottomsDustyBottoms Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Search doesn't appear to be working but I haven't seen anything like this posted recently..

I've never been much of a dancer (though I have dabbled in swing) but my fiancee occasionally likes to go out with her friends. She took me to a club that she had been to and I actually found myself having a good time, mostly because I was with her. We would like to do this more often but neither one of us usually has any idea where to go (her friends are usually the ones who pick the place when she goes out).

In a few weekends I've got a hotel room booked for Saturday night in NYC. We will be staying in the Midtown West area, around Hell's Kitchen. I know the city well enough between Central Park and Chelsea that I'd be comfortable with navigating my way over to any place in that area. Does anyone have any recommendations for good clubs that won't break the bank and don't have super-exclusive entrance requirements? Not looking to mingle with the NYC elite or anything like that, just looking for a place with music with a good beat and reasonably priced drinks and/or cover charges.

It seems these places go in and out of style faster than they can be kept track of, so if anyone has any good ways of finding a decent place to go either in advance or once we get into the city, that would be helpful too. Thanks in advance.

828636-1.png
DustyBottoms on

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Check timeout?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What kind of "dance club" are you looking for. That's basically a non-description.

I like Cielo when they've got good DJs coming through.

adytum on
  • Options
    Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Check the RA events listing and then pick one that matches your taste.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/events.aspx?ai=8

It mostly shows house and techno, so if you want something other than that, I'm not sure.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • Options
    DustyBottomsDustyBottoms Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have no idea what kind of music it was that I enjoyed. I don't know what to call it. I guess it was a mix of many different styles. Some of it seemed very electronic but there was the occasional Latin tune, and I know they did a couple mixes of classic rock tunes at one point. It definitely wasn't what I would call pop music all the time. I think we're happy with anything that has a good beat.

DustyBottoms on
    828636-1.png
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Check timeout?

yeah look at timeout and L mag

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo