As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer makes a funny sound when doing certain things

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
So this has been going on for a while (couple yearsish in varying degrees) but has become more noticeable over the last few months. When performing certain actions or in certain screens my PC will emit an odd noise. For instance when I first noticed it, I had XP, and when I had an explorer window with lots of files in it open, and I would just move the scroll bar around quickly it would do it.

Now, I've switched to 7, and haven't noticed that, but, since I have 7 I have to play Master of Orion 2 with the Win95 version instead of the DOS version. In XP with the DOS version it didn't do it, but now it does. But it only does it in certain menu screens. For instance the race select and customization screen, or the game and save/load screen from within the game.

I've never heard this sound while playing any newer or more graphically intensive/CPU intensive game.

The sound sounds kind of like a cricket on speed. It's just a constant, kind of chirping drone.
edit: Forgot to mention I can change the pitch of the sound by mousing over different race names in MoO2. That causes the portrait to change so maybe it's something in the graphics card? But it has a passive cooler so there isn't a fan or anything.

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on