As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MINECRAFT] Because internet Legos are serious business.

• CryptokidCryptokid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    One of the main servers I play on just uses the world guard plugin for bukkit. It seems to work great. Admins just set protection areas with specific tools, similar, to cuboid in hey0. As for protection of chests, we just place a block on top of the chest in a protected zone. We also eagerly await the release of lwc.

Cryptokid on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if it would be possible to have a setup where there are warps all over but you cannot warp without a warp-enabling object which has an activation cool-down. Sort of (read: Exactly) like WoW's hearthstones. Set a hearthstone to a warp, use hearthstone, cannot use again for 30 minutes, or something.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone messed around with the BiomeTerrain mod? I'm futzing around with making a huge desert world, pretty interesting stuff can be made.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wonder if it would be possible to have a setup where there are warps all over but you cannot warp without a warp-enabling object which has an activation cool-down. Sort of (read: Exactly) like WoW's hearthstones. Set a hearthstone to a warp, use hearthstone, cannot use again for 30 minutes, or something.

As I was reading all of the arguments for and against the warping, I was thinking the exact same thing. That would solve all the issues.

Of course, knowing nothing about how the Minecraft servers work; I don't even know if that's possible.

Edit: Also, for those who don't know how the hearthstones in WOW work, it should also have an activation time - it takes like 8-10 seconds in WOW from the time you click to use the hearthstone to the time you actually warp back home.

datac0re on
    edited February 2011
    http://www.ustream.tv/machinima

Notch is doing an interview with machinima, and theyre playing minecraft.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm figuring the warp plugin would have something along the lines of (pseudocode here):
    if (player.inventory includes goldingot)
    {
         warp(location)
         take(goldingot,1)
    }
    if !(player.inventory includes goldingot)
    {
         chatMsg("You do not have enough gold to warp. Sorry.)
    }

Or something like that. It would probably be relatively simple to check inventory and make warps cost 1b or whatever.

EDIT: It seems the Redstone Cult has spread. I found a rune in a city on another server I play on.
    8eW3h.png
    O9Y1P.png

Sign: "The path of the Stone of Red is the only way to enlightenment."

I might ask the owner to help me extend a storyline from this.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eh I think a logistical limitation rather than a monetary limitation would be a better solution.

IE: Static warp gates or a hearth stone sort of thing that will take you to a pre programmed location of your choice from a list set by Vic. You could add a limitation so it can only be used once an hour and you can't move for X seconds prior to the teleport.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I've decided to fire up minecraft after not playing for several months and I was wondering if anyone knew of a map generator that could edit how big the biomes are since they feel kind of smallish.

Also I feel like a nub but I can't figure out how to get the minimap mod working. I copied over the modloader files and the minimap files into the .jar, but when I fired the game up I got nothing. Any clue what I'm doing wrong?

thanks

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What server is that?

Kadoken on
  • KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Btw live Notch invetview (hes actually on right now)
    http://www.ustream.tv/machinima
    Someone is building rapture on their server :/

*prepares to laugh*

Kileak on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Watching right now, but it buffers for five seconds and plays for one.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited February 2011
    You're not missing much. The host just stares at the ceiling and says 'umm, yeah' a lot.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited February 2011
    The one I'm playing on? It's LethalState's SMP. I knew him from another game and he used to be in my clan, so I didn't have to beg to be whitelisted :D

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1025&t=153711&p=2322977

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
    edited February 2011
    What I've gleaned so far from the notch interview:

Being able to invite people directly to your servers
    Torch/lantern is still coming.
    Metal detector-type item is being looked into for finding minerals.
    Photosensitive block to implement into redstone circuits (reads day/night)
    Possibility of a 'clock' block to be implemented into redstone circuits.
    He would like to add sharks and fish, as well as coral for underwater areas.

He's not interested in implementing an official minimap.

EDIT:

"Floating island" realm that floats over the void like the nether.

Friends list.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited February 2011
    Floating islands over the void...HE'S BEEN TO THE UNDERDARK. WE MUST DISCOVER WHO IS NOTCH ON AN ALTERNATE ACCOUNT.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
    edited February 2011
    Yeah probably not.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think SA at one point had a server with a minecraft Rapture on it.

hailthefish on
  • Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Forbe! wrote: »

Damn I thought he got over that, I have good doubts about it working.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
    edited February 2011
    More minecraft swag is on the way.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited February 2011

I dunno, how would it be expensive? I think it could be implemented fairly easily, and it's value would be much greater if torches' light was made finite.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited February 2011
    He needs to implement handheld torches. He said it wasn't possible, but he's been proven wrong.

D34THROW on

Current Server - None.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Torches expiring is just bad.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    D34THROW wrote: »
    The one I'm playing on? It's LethalState's SMP. I knew him from another game and he used to be in my clan, so I didn't have to beg to be whitelisted :D

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1025&t=153711&p=2322977

Was that redstone cult activity on another server?

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • NotyetdoneNotyetdone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Torches expiring is just bad.

Well not really, it will be pretty fun :) Actually make mining a lot harder!!

I dunno, how would it be expensive? I think it could be implemented fairly easily, and it's value would be much greater if torches' light was made finite.

I'm pretty sure it would be implemented extremely easily as well. The only things he would need to do is change the torch model to a lantern, rename it. and change the recipe to make the "new" lantern.

For the torch.. well..... he'd have to make everything over again except for the model, and the recipe, and of course, the name.

Notyetdone on
    Sometimes, when no one is watching..
    I dig straight down...

Im going to laugh when i see on the news that a criminal prone kid strangled his brother to death with a shoelace when he erased his minecraft save.
    edited February 2011
    He needs to implement handheld torches. He said it wasn't possible, but he's been proven wrong.

Yeah we know.

Just because some modder implemented it, does not mean it fits within the realm of what notch has planned for the game. Last I heard, when he added it, it did not behave correctly within the game engine due to the limitations of the lighting code.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah we know.

Just because some modder implemented it, does not mean it fits within the realm of what notch has planned for the game. Last I heard, when he added it, it did not behave correctly within the game engine due to the limitations of the lighting code.

does not compute

MrDelish on
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He didn't say it was impossible, he just said it was hard to do properly and that the easy hax way looked ugly.

Glal on
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Stupid UStream is too fancy for my tubes. Any other headlines from today's stuffs?

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    notch should focus on bigger gameplay addons. Adding fish, metal detection, lanterns and stuff is neat but its not really adding anything to gameplay. I have pretty much built everything I could think of, so adding fish into the equation isn't going to expand the game much..

Needs generated villages(for friends and foe factions) npcs, trading economy, and companions. I have seen what the modders have essentially hacked on, so these things are all doable.

Not only doable but probably fairly easy. The hardest part would probably be persistent NPCs.

wakkawa on
    edited February 2011
    Ianator wrote: »
    Stupid UStream is too fancy for my tubes. Any other headlines from today's stuffs?

I think it ended at 6:00, but I stopped watching it long before that. The Machinima people are really obnoxious and Notch wasn't talking all that much. I don't know if he is super awkward in real life, but compared to other live interviews I've with him, he seemed kind of uncomfortable. There will probably be better write ups later in the day.

He was mostly just answering questions from viewers, a lot of which were "how long did it take to make minecraft" and "how did you get the name Notch", instead of development questions.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I installed the fancypants mod pack compilation on the Minecraft forums and holy crap was it utter warfare at night. When dawn broke, there were so many mob drops around what I proclaimed to be the village since there were literally a dozen NPCs chilling there

MrDelish on
  • EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So can someone give me an idea of the state of the game, as a dude who has not played in months?

By that, I mostly mean, is multiplayer hosting a worthwhile endeavor now, or is it still on the whole a laggy bit of software that will do nothing but cause me grief? I recall a time when I used to be able to host 40+ people, but I gave up after a couple patches basically destroyed that.

Part of me basically just wants to get a superbuild server back up and running. I missed having that creative outlet.

Ein on
  • KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It works well enough, though not as well as it used to be.

Imo, you'll never have a problem (short of mass forest fires) if you don't edit your maps. seems like maps that are made using mcedit or else lag hard.

Diannao's server, just a random generated map has so little lag i sometimes think i'm playing single, though, well...its a random generated map.

Vics on the other hand corrupts anyone who plays Minecraft, showing them what it should be like. You'd have to find your own medium on what kind of lag your willing to deal with, as well as what kind of map you want.

(not to mention all fucking new mods. like holy shit lots to learn...minecart mania works though :D woot!)

Kileak on
  • SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't get a chance to play much, but in regards to warps I think it boils down to one rule:

As long as it is harder to make/get a warp to a location than physically building a path/safe way then warps are fine.

As to lighting, I would like my torches to burn out, but also have a way to permanently light an area. Like Bulbs powered by red stone lines.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kileak wrote: »
    minecart mania works though :D woot!
    Is there a single player version of this or something similar? Or anything that would keep me from using glitchy booster rigs.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How is the Underdark these days? not tried in a few weeks as I was lagging to all hell.

Venkman90 on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone destroyed my underwater house on Dianno's server...

Kadoken on
    edited February 2011
    Apparently I was also unable to sign onto other servers as well so I just re-installed mincraft. It's working now.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    God if Ein's server comes back I'll have to disable my WoW account, or having both will likely kill me.

DeShadowC on
    edited February 2011
    Having Ein's server back will be enough to kill most ppl by it's self. Even more so for those of us who would be between Ein and Underdark.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.