Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Starcraft 2: "Well sometimes you don't even listen to me!"

SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
sc2logo.jpg

The Starcraft II discussion thread

So you wanna craft some stars, huh?

The SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff (usually brought to you by the letter S and the number 86). In order to keep up, I highly recommend you bookmark the following sites:

The Day[9] Daily Live Stream. Sean "Day9" Plott is an 11 year Starcraft veteran, so he knows his shit. He does a live stream Sunday through Thursday that airs 7pm PST/10pm EST. If you miss a stream, you can watch it, and every other streams he's ever done, in his archives. BOOKMARK HIS SITES! You will not be disappointed.

State of the Game A weekly podcast hosted by Day[9], JP, Tyler, and inControl. If you don't know who these people are, you clearly aren't watching enough SC2 tournament stuff. Just bookmark the damn site and listen to it on the go.

HD Starcraft. Good site for beginners to learn from and watch higher end players as well. Being Youtube videos, you can fast forward and rewind to help learn strategies and build orders.

HuskyStarcraft. The brother site of HD Starcraft. Another good site for watching videos of foreign tournaments and for general learning by watching pros.

Gretorp's live stream. A high level Terran player who has amassed quite a following.

Team Liquid. Team Liquid is the biggest Starcraft related fan site out on the Internet today. They follow everything Starcraft related including the pro scene. Many great articles, forums, and information can be found here. A must bookmark for any Starcraft fan.

Starcraft II Liquipedia. Team Liquid has created a wikipedia site for everything SC2 related. This will be updated as time goes on and all information found here should be legit as possible.

Team Liquid Tournament Tracker. Want to play in some SC2 tournaments? Bookmark this link to see what's running now and upcoming in the future.

GOM TV.net. The only officially Blizzard backed tournament spot in Korea. Has a dedicated pair of English casters in the form of Artosis and Nick "Tastless" Plott, Day[9]'s older brother. Great high-end play to be found here. No really, watch this if you've never seen how insane the Korean's take to SC2.

Zerg help with pro player Eg.Machine. Here are three videos featuring opening builds and other great information when playing as Zerg. Each video is an hour long and will help you go a long way at improving your Zerg gameplay. Help with ZvP here, ZvT here, and ZvZ here.

Common timings and when they hit. Exactly what it sounds like.

Chat Channels exist now! Come hang out in PA!

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people. Easy, follow these 5 simple steps.
Spoiler:

A list of other PA related SC2 stuff.
Spoiler:

Help guides for new players painstakingly created by fellow forum goers. READ THESE FIRST!
Spoiler:

Seguer on

• iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    let's blame it on lemming,

mech engineers are retarded. literally.

you man the island and the cocaine and the elegant cars
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/iowa
    signature.png
  • WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MY RACE IS MUCH BIGGER THAN YOURS

MY RACE CAN WALK RIGHT THROUGH THE DOOR

WITH A FEELING SO PURE

IT'S GOT YOU COMING BACK FOR MOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRE

OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So... how about them terran drops? Some OP shit, right? Haha.

Also:
    18 shots from a corruptor to kill a colossus.
    13 shots from a viking to kill a colossus.

10170-1.png
  • kedinikkedinik Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mmm, that fresh SC2 thread smell.

I laddered today! Honest to god.

lancealot_zpsb9e62895.png
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i may or may not be on in a few hours depending on whether the poms are sucking at cricket today

and i will smash yous all

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheBog wrote: »

Also:

Corrupters are a ton more durable and far more easily made en masse (provided you have the spire already which honestly if you don't have a spire pretty early vs Protoss you're dumb) in response to a Colossus army walking across the map than a bunch of vikings.

Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • PantsBPantsB Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I was thinking who teamliquid would invite for terrans and zerg after their 3 Protoss invites (Huk, Genius, MC). Assuming they'll invite 3 from each race, the Terran top choices seem obvious... MVP, MKP, Jinro. The Zerg is trickier. Idra, Nestea and Fruitdealer? That'd leave Ret and Haypro off the roster. But if they invite one of their Liquid Zerg in Korea, who do they leave off? Fruitdealer? And if so, Ret or Haypro?

Also blue dot

11793-1.png
    Spoiler:
    edited February 2011
    Yes, but when you attack colossi with corruptors you're basically not expecting most of them to come out of it. They have to really get up there and get shot up hard by stalkers. With vikings you can snipe colossi here and there, and stay out of stalker range, possibly avoiding any casualties.

And yes, I'd go with IdrA, Nestea, and Fruitdealer. I don't recall any plays that really impressed me by Ret or Haypro. Maybe I just don't watch enough starcraft.

10170-1.png
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PantsB wrote: »
    So I was thinking who teamliquid would invite for terrans and zerg after their 3 Protoss invites (Huk, Genius, MC). Assuming they'll invite 3 from each race, the Terran top choices seem obvious... MVP, MKP, Jinro. The Zerg is trickier. Idra, Nestea and Fruitdealer? That'd leave Ret and Haypro off the roster. But if they invite one of their Liquid Zerg in Korea, who do they leave off? Fruitdealer? And if so, Ret or Haypro?

Also blue dot

I hope it'll be Idra, Ret, Nestea.
    I don't think they could leave out ret (fan favourite + part of TL), they'd sooner dump Idra (which I could see them doing tbh). All signs point to Haypro being shafted, feel sorry for that guy.

410239-1.png
    edited February 2011
    Ret had a few cool games; HayprO has unfortunately choked in most of his high profile matches.

edited February 2011
    sounds like ret will move back to europe anyway, seeing as gsl is literally the only thing to play in for sc2 in korea

• AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seg stole the OP eh

9Xnmvna.jpg
  • 3clipse3clipse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A challenger appears!

C2hmw6F.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it appears Dover has more or less given up :P

Tube-san wrote:
    I apologise for my rudeness desu.
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Day9 tweated wakkawa's my little Nony picture

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I saw that! I was excited!

I don't know who to draw next. So far I have done nony, idra, day9, and incontrol.

I guess depending on the next theme I'm probably going to do something with tastless and artosis. Not really a fan of any other starcraft players though.

edited February 2011
    wakkawa you's internet famous boy

EDIT: Why is Soetchi so cute and also awesome.

C2hmw6F.png
    edited February 2011
    You should make picture of huk being too short to hit a tether ball

• SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wasn't online, Dover hasn't done it in ages, and we were as close to page 100 as we've been in months.

I think it was my time to shine. :P

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Ah yeah I had a few ideas for good ol short huk too. Basically illustrating anything that is said on state of the game is a winner.

Also, soe makes me facepalm. She needs to tone down that "Teehee, I'm a girl" shit. She is gaming the system hard with that. It's about the ART, not blinking your eyes at the camera.

edited February 2011
    iCCup tournament nearing its end, pretty good TvT series going right now.

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/iCCup.TV

edited February 2011
    wakkawa wrote: »

Ah yeah I had a few ideas for good ol short huk too. Basically illustrating anything that is said on state of the game is a winner.

Also, soe makes me facepalm. She needs to tone down that "Teehee, I'm a girl" shit. She is gaming the system hard with that. It's about the ART, not blinking your eyes at the camera.

Huk just standing there clutching his pillow to his chest while JP laughs cruelly

• SeguerSeguer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

But she's so good at it.

• SerpicoSerpico Registered User
    edited February 2011
    2 factory 2 starport TvT, so good. Thanks whoever linked that last thread. Although I need to micro a bit better to hold off early marine/marauder pressure.

Still though, nothing ever felt better than trying it on the ladder for the first time after getting the BO down, face a player going 1rax FE and only making marines, and killing every single unit he had only losing one hellion. Would definitely recommend anyone who can do even slight micro to use it on longer spawn distances, it's fun and I don't find it requiring too much micro once you're past the really early pushes when you've only got 1 - 3 hellions out, since people with poor micro will probably be playing people with similar micro troubles.

edited February 2011
    I'm okay with Soe gaming the system.

Because unlike the other women who are like TEEHEE I'M A GIRL she's actually attractive.

That's probably really sexist.

SO HOW 'BOUT DEM STARCRAFTS

C2hmw6F.png
    edited February 2011
  • WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Also:

Is this before or after corruption?

HAHAYES.jpg
    edited February 2011
    you can also corrupt half the toss army

sc2 races you why so different!

edited February 2011
    What wrote: »

Also:

Is this before or after corruption?

Before. If you use corruption it's still going to take 15 shots.. I believe.

10170-1.png
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And let's not forget range, movement speed and cost!

9Xnmvna.jpg
    edited February 2011
    I hate when people give damage per attack and not dps

edited February 2011
    Why are terran drops more OP than other drops?

I was away this weekend apparently I missed something!

C2hmw6F.png
    edited February 2011
    Faster. Easier. Much more damaging. Every reason under the sunlol.

And I gave damage per attack instead of dps because their attack speed is nearly identical (2 vs 1.9).

10170-1.png
  • tuxkamentuxkamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I saw that! I was excited!

I don't know who to draw next. So far I have done nony, idra, day9, and incontrol.

I guess depending on the next theme I'm probably going to do something with tastless and artosis. Not really a fan of any other starcraft players though.

Where is the Protoss logo on the rump.

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Spoiler:
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited February 2011

And I gave damage per attack instead of dps because their attack speed is nearly identical (2 vs 1.9).

Faster in terms of transport speed or when they can happen?

Because they come out at the same time as everyone else's drops (Zerg might be a bit behind), and Medivacs are slower than both upgraded Overlords and upgraded Warp Prisms.

Easier...I disagree, a single Warp Prism can make infinite units and costs 0 gas.

Much more damaging...again, I disagree, because you can use 1 Warp Prism to warp in a ton of stuff before their army can respond.

EDIT: Wait I forgot, it's the SC2 thread, everything Terran has is completely imbalanced. My bad.

C2hmw6F.png
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I hate when people give damage per attack and not dps

Well, dps is only good for sustained battles and theorycraft. Damage per attack lets people know how many volleys it will take (or how many of X unit to build) to kill Y unit.

For instance, I see colossus on the field and I want to make corrupters. DPS is pretty meaningless for me in the actual game; I would ask myself, how many corrupters does it take to 1 shot a col? If I know the damage per shot I can easily make a multiple of that unit and know how many hit and runs I need to perform (or when to switch targets), or my critical amount.

Knowing DPS in that situation is utterly useless.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    medivacs come out at the same time speed upgrade warp prisms do? I did not know that!

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wrote: »

Faster in terms of transport speed or when they can happen?

Because they come out at the same time as everyone else's drops (Zerg might be a bit behind), and Medivacs are slower than both upgraded Overlords and upgraded Warp Prisms.

Easier...I disagree, a single Warp Prism can make infinite units and costs 0 gas.

Much more damaging...again, I disagree, because you can use 1 Warp Prism to warp in a ton of stuff before their army can respond.

EDIT: Wait I forgot, it's the SC2 thread, everything Terran has is completely imbalanced. My bad.

Stop this nonsense. It's already been discussed and you're looking pretty ignorant.

edited February 2011
    Well since I've been gone for 3 days, fill me in.

EDIT: non speed Warp Prisms are the same speed as Medivacs.

I think I would be less snarky about it if it didn't feel like every time I check the thread, something new that Terran has is "completely OP," while people think neither of the other races has anything even remotely imbalanced.

Double bonus edit: I probably shouldn't talk balance when I've just gotten back from a busy interview weekend and had about 10 hours of total sleep over a 3 day period.

C2hmw6F.png