As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: "Well sometimes you don't even listen to me!"

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm okay with Soe gaming the system.

Because unlike the other women who are like TEEHEE I'M A GIRL she's actually attractive.

That's probably really sexist.

SO HOW 'BOUT DEM STARCRAFTS

really really attractive

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would be lying if I said I did not greatly enjoy looking at her blinking at the camera

Jars on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    I would be lying if I said I did not greatly enjoy looking at her blinking at the camera

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well since I've been gone for 3 days, fill me in.

EDIT: non speed Warp Prisms are the same speed as Medivacs.

I think I would be less snarky about it if it didn't feel like every time I check the thread, something new that Terran has is "completely OP," while people think neither of the other races has anything even remotely imbalanced.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=135697&page=96

Start with iowa's first post on the page.
    Read next 4 pages.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Faster as in a terran drop can get in, drop, wipe out a bunch of shit, and get out much quicker than a toss/zerg drop can. Also a terran drop doesn't have to deploy/undeploy to work its magic, but I understand that that's a perk.

Easier because you're already going to have medivacs and marines as part of your standard army. You don't have to go out of your way to drop. No additional structures or research. Just do it whenever you want. You have the tools. Also your transport heals your stimmed units, adding to its efficacy.

More damaging? Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree. Frankly, I've seen warp prism warp in drops be extremely damaging only a handful of times.

TheBog on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Faster as in a terran drop can get in, drop, wipe out a bunch of shit, and get out much quicker than a toss/zerg drop can. Also a terran drop doesn't have to deploy/undeploy to work its magic, but I understand that that's a perk.

Gotcha. I can agree with this. Stimmed Marauders, anyone? SHOULD NOT DO SO MUCH DAMAGE TO BUILDINGS
    Easier because you're already going to have medivacs and marines as part of your standard army. You don't have to go out of your way to drop. No additional structures or research. Just do it whenever you want. You have the tools. Also your transport heals your stimmed units, adding to its efficacy.

Gotcha.
    More damaging? Well, I guess we'll agree to disagree. Frankly, I've seen warp prism warp in drops be extremely damaging only a handful of times.

The sample size on warp prism drops is woefully small; recently WhiteRa has been using them to amazing effect, I think there's a lot of potential there that hasn't been fully tapped yet.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just want to chip in and say "lolwut".

Sceptre on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For some odd reason, I enjoy Trump's stream.
    Maybe the music. Or his commentary. Something.

http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Trump

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    does anyone have any good builds or replays of a fast phoenix build? i love going phoenixes for harass but there's a huge window of opportunity when i'm vulnerable to just being straight up killed because phoenixes suck in a fight.

Guek on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is building a WP really going "out of your way", though? It won't prove anything at my terribad level of play, but now I'm interested to see how often I can sneak a WP/4 zealot drop into my play without feeling like I'm throwing away the midgame Big Battle(tm) for those 6 zealots' worth on the front line.

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think you'd have to do something with the WP drop, beyond the drop, to make it worth while.

Whether this is poking at the front if they move their army to take out your drop, or expanding, or buying time for higher tech etc..

Seguer on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gateway units just don't kill workers very well. You're not likely to kill 400 minerals worth of workers if you send 4 zealots into their mineral lines without Charge, and even then you might not manage it. And if you send stalkers the break-even point is even higher.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Gateway units just don't kill workers very well. You're not likely to kill 400 minerals worth of workers if you send 4 zealots into their mineral lines without Charge, and even then you might not manage it. And if you send stalkers the break-even point is even higher.

lol

What on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    Is building a WP really going "out of your way", though? It won't prove anything at my terribad level of play, but now I'm interested to see how often I can sneak a WP/4 zealot drop into my play without feeling like I'm throwing away the midgame Big Battle(tm) for those 6 zealots' worth on the front line.

Say you're playing terran. You need to build two observers in case of Banshee. Then you'll probably want an immortal in case of marauder push. Then you will want to build colossus and never stop. mmm... colossus

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That's why I think the goal of a WP drop (pre storm) has to be different to a Medivac drop.

Terran: drops to snipe workers/structures
    Protoss: drops to "???" (where ??? could be something I mentioned before)
    Zerg: drops to take out armies (banelings), elevator entire armies (a la GSL where we saw a Zerg drop a ton of Hydras in a main) and probably more I don't know

Seguer on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    any worker killed is a win

also do you know how long it takes to build a reactor, forever

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Zealots tear mineral lines a new asshole, I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Zealots tear mineral lines a new asshole, I'm not sure what games you've been watching.

They're pretty good when they can attack, but before charge workers are faster. So you can still kill some and interrupt mining time, but they still aren't anywhere near as good as stimmed marines.

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    toss drops are best used for either DTs or as a distraction. I haven't done this in a long time but i used to warp in 4 chargelots with a WP, watch the army stream out of the natural to take care of the minor threat, and swarm in while FFing the ramp. Take out the natural and immediately back out to avoid fighting at a choke.

It worked really well, but more skilled players probably wont overcompensate

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I wonder, Guek, if when you see they only pull a few units to take out your drop.. you just warp in more.

If you can always keep the army in their main slightly larger than whatever you send, you're essentially carving up part of the army each time (and then if they "over" compensate, you can swarm in the front?)

Seguer on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah about the only time I drop is against a campy terran, at which point it is really awesome

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Against people who don't notice a drop even when its already tearing up their mineral lines, sure, but how many players do you really play against like that?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zealots don't have to kill 8 workers to make the drop worth it (and the idea that they probably won't is, I think, wrong DEPENDING on level of course) if they stop mining and kill a few workers they have been worth it.

I think a logical reason for the toss to drop is to increase the lead they already should reasonable have in worker count. zealots take like 3 hits to kill a gatherer, absolute worst case they aren't gathering for a period and have to deal with the drop. best case you get a couple of kills AND delay mining.

seems worth it to me. won't win you the game but it can increase your macro lead and ideally you kill some T mules. 4 zealots can probably handle a queen. this is all IF you can't get drones/scvs. and again worst case those drones aren't mining. or worst case the mules are wasting time running.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lemming wrote: »

They're pretty good when they can attack, but before charge workers are faster. So you can still kill some and interrupt mining time, but they still aren't anywhere near as good as stimmed marines.

few things are

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seguer wrote: »
    I wonder, Guek, if when you see they only pull a few units to take out your drop.. you just warp in more.

If you can always keep the army in their main slightly larger than whatever you send, you're essentially carving up part of the army each time (and then if they "over" compensate, you can swarm in the front?)

well it depends on how far into the game you are. for some reason people seem to believe that warpgates mean infinite troops instantly wherever you've got power but unless you're already way into late game, you'll likely only have 6-8 gates you can use to warp.

another method might be to bring the zealots along instead of warping them in so you've got more leverage to warp in if need be. at the same time, if you see that they're overcompensating, you could warp in at the front instead of the back.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    zealots don't have to kill 8 workers to make the drop worth it (and the idea that they probably won't is, I think, wrong DEPENDING on level of course) if they stop mining and kill a few workers they have been worth it.

I think a logical reason for the toss to drop is to increase the lead they already should reasonable have in worker count. zealots take like 3 hits to kill a gatherer, absolute worst case they aren't gathering for a period and have to deal with the drop. best case you get a couple of kills AND delay mining.

seems worth it to me. won't win you the game but it can increase your macro lead and ideally you kill some T mules. 4 zealots can probably handle a queen. this is all IF you can't get drones/scvs. and again worst case those drones aren't mining. or worst case the mules are wasting time running.

i dunno, i think drops would be the most effective in pvp than pvz or pvt. if you drop zealots on a zerg player, they'll have a queen to reinforce so you likely wont get too many drones, though killing a queen is definitely nice. with terran, it feels like killing scvs doesn't even make a difference because of mules, though maybe thats a false perception.

i think if you get a couple kills with a WP drop, that's more of a bonus. more likely than not, it's not going to be worth it resource-wise. it can however provide intel, cause a distraction, or screw up the meta-game of your opponent. designing your opening or your overall play on the effectiveness of WP drops is probably pretty foolish, though i'd like to be proven wrong.

Guek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Killing SCVs matters. It's not like MULEs make SCVs obsolete or something.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    BoxeR would like to have a word with you ;)

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

yeah yeah i'm sure it does. i've just played games where i'll take out a bunch of SCVs and still get outmacro'd because of mules.

not that my poor macro skills helped any :P

Guek on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah-hahah, good old Stalife.

"What are your plans going into this finals match-up?"

"Well it's Terran versus Zerg, so I plan to be abusive, just way super abusive... Cliff drops, thor drops, double banshee rush, 2-rax scv all-ins maybe."

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Where is that from?

TheBog on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/iCCup.TV

They just started the finals match of their tournament, Stalife vs mkengyn, a relatively unknown Canadian zerg.

Quote came from the pre-game interview.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Against people who don't notice a drop even when its already tearing up their mineral lines, sure, but how many players do you really play against like that?

isnt there something about the "Warning, your base is under attack" not coming up if it was just repeated? As in, if your army is already engaged and your base gets dropped, you may not hear a message and by the time you look at your base, you've lost all your workers

xta on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    That zerg got dismantled.

TheBog on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    was playing a TvP and was all, alright ima push once I get 4 medvacs. I hotkey the 4 medvacs with my army and move out.

then I engage and realize that somehow my 5 medvacs are still sitting back at the base, booya.

game over wasted 15 mins, talk bout owned

iowa on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    it appears Dover has more or less given up :P
    Seguer wrote: »
    3clipse wasn't online, Dover hasn't done it in ages, and we were as close to page 100 as we've been in months.

I think it was my time to shine. :P

Now look here you bastards.

I'm gonna take my thread back, but I've been really busy with my Maya modeling class. I've been spending the last two weeks working on this: (spoilered for huge!)

viper_1.png

viper_2.png

viper_3.png

viper_4.png

Sadly, it's still not done. I gotta rework and tweak some of the textures, add lighting, and some kind of normal or bump mapping. Not bad for my first go with the software though. Any constructive criticism or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

<3

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Look Dover, if you want it, you take it. I only did because we were almost at 100 :P

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    xta wrote: »

isnt there something about the "Warning, your base is under attack" not coming up if it was just repeated? As in, if your army is already engaged and your base gets dropped, you may not hear a message and by the time you look at your base, you've lost all your workers

there is a unique warning given for probes being under attack

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    so stalife is basically doing whatever he wants and winning

who are these jokers?

Variable on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011