As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cleaning dirty parts

SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
What's a good way to clean parts that have become so caked with dirt even compressed air is something it shrugs off? I was thinking alcohol and q-tips but figured I'd ask here first.

SkutSkut on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Depends on the part. The dishwasher is a mighty powerful tool, but I wouldn't put everything in there.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought I was in H/A and thread title made me o.O

I'm assuming you're talking about keyboard and/or mouse. For the keyboard I usually tear off all the keycaps and drop them in dish-soap solution and then go at them with a toothbrush. For mouse I simply dissemble the mouse and clean around the edges/buttons with also dish-soap solution.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well my old video card is more the one that needs cleaning but all pc parts in general would be helpful.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    q-tips and alcohol work pretty well, just dis-assemble things as best as you can than scrub the dust off.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cover it in honey and let a bear lick it clean.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought I was in H/A and thread title made me o.O

I'm assuming you're talking about keyboard and/or mouse. For the keyboard I usually tear off all the keycaps and drop them in dish-soap solution and then go at them with a toothbrush. For mouse I simply dissemble the mouse and clean around the edges/buttons with also dish-soap solution.

I pull mine completely apart every few months, and wash them in the kitchen sink as I would dirty dishes...

Just remove all the bits that aren't water-friendly, and scrub the plastics with soap and water. Rinse thoroughly, and dry.

For a viddeyo card, that's not going to work.

Is the o.p. a smoker? Because that tar can be a huge bitch to get off...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nah I don't smoke, we have a few cats though so dust is a rather big problem for electronics.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Nah I don't smoke, we have a few cats though so dust is a rather big problem for electronics.

get filters for your case fans and make sure that your case has positive pressure, that will keep the dust mostly out, and definitely any hair.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms