As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The SE++ Thread for the Discussion of Video Game RPG's Both Old and New School

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Gentlemens and not mens

Should I play Dark Souls or Xenoblade Chronicles tonight

They are both great fun it's like having two children and being asked which is your favorite :(

One of them punches you in the gut whenever you are not looking

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    nope, it is real

This is some in-depth, but awesome, research.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    when I was a kid, I wanted so bad for there to be a legit way to bring back Leo

now I recognize that his death is unbelievably poignant

being able to undo that would completely cheapen one of the most powerful moments of the game

it would be like if there was a sidequest to bring back the world of balance

• Options
    mrmrmrmr nameless protagonist Registered User regular
    Decided that comics, internet, and netflix weren't putting off my college work enough and went to gamestop to look at JRPGs to rot my time with. I also know that Mass Effect 3 isn't happening for me until well after release for various silly reasons.

I was looking at Tales of Vesperia on the 360, Tales of the Abyss on 3DS, and Eternal Sonata on the PS3.

I went with Eternal Sonata (partially) because it was fully covered by my trade ins. About an hour or so in and I am liking it.

Also, very much looking forward to Xenoblade and The Last Story.

Practice Round, my blog where I talk (mostly) about comics.
    p4.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    when I was a kid, I wanted so bad for there to be a legit way to bring back Leo

now I recognize that his death is unbelievably poignant

being able to undo that would completely cheapen one of the most powerful moments of the game

it would be like if there was a sidequest to bring back the world of balance

couldn't they kill a guy that had a less cool ability, though

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    it is partially because he's so fucking cool that the death matters
    also you can get Shock with one of Gau's rages, I forget which

• Options
    also WHAT they're sending the last story to the US

holy cats

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Fuck these clock face puzzles in FFXIII-2.

FUCK THEM

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I couldn't do those later clock puzzles and had to use some Japanese website that auto solved it for me. For shame. But god ff13-2 was awesome. Beat it in like a week, taking a break before I get started on post game stuff

Of course, there's tons of other games to get to. Devil Survivor 2 was just released on the ds and fucking final fantasy tactics was finally released for the iPad and it is so pretty. All srpg'd out mang

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I did them all myself except last night I had one I could not solve so I found some Excel file that had a programmed macro to solve them. The funny thing is, the one I had last night was unsolvable according to the macro. Today I turned it on and the numbers it gave me solved just fine.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Are there any RPGs out now that are like the old school Final Fantasy? Honestly, two of the best RPGs I've played in the last few years are Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (ignoring the voice acting). I'm a fan of turnbased RPGs and micromanaging skills.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    I tried to get into Blue Dragon but it was such an easy game even with the Japanese Hard Mode DLC. Still, I wish it was on the PS3 so I could give it another go.

• Options
    There were a handful of fights in the story mode that gave me some trouble but they required me to alter my tactics, rather than go out and grind for a few hours. Same with Lost Odyssey. That's why I like turn based RPGs like that because it requires some thought to really analyze what you're fighting.

Also, the post-game bosses are hella challenging but a lot of fun.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Blue Dragon was really good but yeah, it was easy. I don't want to talk about how much time I spent leveling and stuff in that game for cheevos.

Lost Odyssey is the best JRPG of this generation.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Blue Dragon was really good but yeah, it was easy. I don't want to talk about how much time I spent leveling and stuff in that game for cheevos.

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Are there any RPGs out now that are like the old school Final Fantasy? Honestly, two of the best RPGs I've played in the last few years are Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (ignoring the voice acting). I'm a fan of turnbased RPGs and micromanaging skills.

I got halfway through your post and I was about to suggest Lost Odyssey

Then I finished reading your post

And uh, I got nothing

• Options

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

Actually, I misspoke here. I meant to say it's the best JRPG on the Xbox 360. I have a tendency to forget about handhelds and such.

• Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks for trying.

Lost Odyssey undoubtedly had a better narrative. But gameplay flow was absolute shit.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    also WHAT they're sending the last story to the US

holy cats

sure as shit took em long enough!

• Options
    Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks for trying.

I liked Lost Odyssey slightly better only because I'd been looking for something that played more like an old school JRPG and Lost Odyssey fit that bill perfectly.

Both of them are amazing games and I wish they would release more like them. Gonna have to get Tales of Graces for PS3 when it comes out.

• Options
    Yes Steve yes!

Tales of Graces f. I want.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me the appeal of last story.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I was about to say that tales of vesperia was on reflection a pretty bad game, but you did say best JRPG, so I suppose it could still be a technically accurate assessment

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dickotomy.

2dtr87s.png
  • Options
    I could never get into Tales of Vesperia. I think it was the storyline that killed it for me. Also, the fighting was fine but your teammate AI was atrocious.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    xenoblade is hands down the best jrpg this generation, assuming you do count it as a jrpg

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I could never get into Tales of Vesperia. I think it was the storyline that killed it for me. Also, the fighting was fine but your teammate AI was atrocious.

The storyline was pretty ho hum but at least Yuri is a straight balla for most of it

Also I started playing Xenoblade this evening and wheee doggy the combat is fun (though I wish I could turn down the volume on the in combat voice acting, good lord)

Ledneh on
  • Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular

the voice acting in Blue Dragon was like some serious torture

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    If you want old school jrpgs and own a ds, check out one of the Dragon Quest games.

• Options
    Filling in these maps to 100% in FFXIII-2 is an exercise in PAIN.

2 left but it seems to be the 2 worst.

• Options
    1000/1000 gamerscore on FXIII-2.

woo

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

FUCK THEM

go to game faqs to find a solver for them

they are horrendous

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

FUCK THEM

go to game faqs to find a solver for them

they are horrendous

I did most of them myself but there were a few that were ridiculous and I didn't even want to try.

• Options
    Soooo...who here is getting Tales of Graces next week? I should be getting it day one and it has COOOOOOOP

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Chapter 8 of resonance of fate:

Whoa totally didn't expect that to happen

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP is the best non-Mass Effect RPG in the last five years

• Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Radiant Historia just got reprinted.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I've been playing that! It's pretty good, I like the grid combat. And the time travel stuff is pretty cool and kind of mind bending at times.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Radiant Historia just got reprinted.

This is an excellent game and I will recommend it to everyone who loves RPGs.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Someone tell me if I should start playing Radiant Historia

It came in the mail yesterday but I am conflicted

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg