Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The SE++ Thread for the Discussion of Video Game RPG's Both Old and New School

1616263646567»

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase It's all in the game though, right?Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Blue Dragon was really good but yeah, it was easy. I don't want to talk about how much time I spent leveling and stuff in that game for cheevos.

Lost Odyssey is the best JRPG of this generation.

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Registered User regular
    Blue Dragon was really good but yeah, it was easy. I don't want to talk about how much time I spent leveling and stuff in that game for cheevos.

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

2dtr87s.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Are there any RPGs out now that are like the old school Final Fantasy? Honestly, two of the best RPGs I've played in the last few years are Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (ignoring the voice acting). I'm a fan of turnbased RPGs and micromanaging skills.

I got halfway through your post and I was about to suggest Lost Odyssey

Then I finished reading your post

And uh, I got nothing

camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | Monster Hunter Tri: Red - TBUGW8 | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase It's all in the game though, right?Registered User, ClubPA regular

Aaaaaaaaahahahahahaha

Actually, I misspoke here. I meant to say it's the best JRPG on the Xbox 360. I have a tendency to forget about handhelds and such.

edited March 2012
    Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks for trying.

Lost Odyssey undoubtedly had a better narrative. But gameplay flow was absolute shit.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    also WHAT they're sending the last story to the US

holy cats

sure as shit took em long enough!

Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks for trying.

I liked Lost Odyssey slightly better only because I'd been looking for something that played more like an old school JRPG and Lost Odyssey fit that bill perfectly.

Both of them are amazing games and I wish they would release more like them. Gonna have to get Tales of Graces for PS3 when it comes out.

Yes Steve yes!

Tales of Graces f. I want.

2dtr87s.png
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Can someone explain to me the appeal of last story.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I was about to say that tales of vesperia was on reflection a pretty bad game, but you did say best JRPG, so I suppose it could still be a technically accurate assessment

0BnD8l3.gif
    Dickotomy.

2dtr87s.png
  • BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    I could never get into Tales of Vesperia. I think it was the storyline that killed it for me. Also, the fighting was fine but your teammate AI was atrocious.

s5DoctorFezSunSig.png?t=1306367580.png
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    xenoblade is hands down the best jrpg this generation, assuming you do count it as a jrpg

SYhhzZG.jpg?2?8605
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I could never get into Tales of Vesperia. I think it was the storyline that killed it for me. Also, the fighting was fine but your teammate AI was atrocious.

The storyline was pretty ho hum but at least Yuri is a straight balla for most of it

Also I started playing Xenoblade this evening and wheee doggy the combat is fun (though I wish I could turn down the volume on the in combat voice acting, good lord)

Ledneh on
    Kadith wrote: »
    how do i get off [the bus], do i just start screaming
    well that'll get me off at least.
  • nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Are there any RPGs out now that are like the old school Final Fantasy? Honestly, two of the best RPGs I've played in the last few years are Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (ignoring the voice acting). I'm a fan of turnbased RPGs and micromanaging skills.

the voice acting in Blue Dragon was like some serious torture

nevillexmassig1.png
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Shoreline, WARegistered User regular
    If you want old school jrpgs and own a ds, check out one of the Dragon Quest games.

Filling in these maps to 100% in FFXIII-2 is an exercise in PAIN.

2 left but it seems to be the 2 worst.

1000/1000 gamerscore on FXIII-2.

woo

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    Fuck these clock face puzzles in FFXIII-2.

FUCK THEM

go to game faqs to find a solver for them

they are horrendous

STEAM
    Spoiler:
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fuck these clock face puzzles in FFXIII-2.

FUCK THEM

go to game faqs to find a solver for them

they are horrendous

I did most of them myself but there were a few that were ridiculous and I didn't even want to try.

Soooo...who here is getting Tales of Graces next week? I should be getting it day one and it has COOOOOOOP

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Chapter 8 of resonance of fate:

Whoa totally didn't expect that to happen

summon_zps3172f547.jpg
    Animal Crossing Friend Code: 0018-0642-4117 [Mayor: Jin Town: Gururu] [Fruit: Cherry] [Visit me!]
  • T4CTT4CT Registered User regular
    Superbrothers: Sword and Sorcery EP is the best non-Mass Effect RPG in the last five years

• gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I've been playing that! It's pretty good, I like the grid combat. And the time travel stuff is pretty cool and kind of mind bending at times.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote: »
    Radiant Historia just got reprinted.

This is an excellent game and I will recommend it to everyone who loves RPGs.

Steam ID - Syphyreal --- 3DS Friend Code: 2723-9387-1002
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo Cream of my compulsions Rising to the tip of the spoutRegistered User regular
    Someone tell me if I should start playing Radiant Historia

It came in the mail yesterday but I am conflicted

Do not have a cow, mortal.

3DS: 2251-4432-9039

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Why wouldn't you?

I like that it's easy to go back and pick up sidequests because of the time travel aspect. I don't think anything is 'missable' like in so many JRPGs.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus In a library with broken glasses Registered User regular
    Taking another break from Xenoblade because of sidequest overload and I'm now playing Yakuza 2, doing missions instead of the story.

https://db.tt/CwmTSDmt (dropbox) my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus In a library with broken glasses Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of picking up a Ys game for the PSP, which should I get?

https://db.tt/CwmTSDmt (dropbox) my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow
  • ShortyShorty JUDGE BROSEF Registered User regular
    Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks for trying.

Lost Odyssey undoubtedly had a better narrative. But gameplay flow was absolute shit.

tales games are shite

chillaxton.jpg
    and I broke parole just to get to you
    Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks for trying.

tales games are shite

YOU'RE SHIT

2dtr87s.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh man.

I just found my old trusty PS1. It still has a Gameshark attached.

mosesupposes.gif
    Tales of Vesperia.

Thanks for trying.

tales games are shite

YOU'RE SHIT

at least I'm not a Tales game

chillaxton.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    If you hate Tales games, Shorty, you're not gonna like this one then.
    The mystery project Capcom, Sega, and Namco Bandai were rumored to be working on has finally been revealed. Website Andriasang, citing advance copies of Famitsu, says the collaboration is called Project X Zone.

Project X Zone is a strategy RPG for the 3DS. Characters from different franchises like Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter will team up in pairs for fighting scenes initiated during combat. Based on the information from Hachima blog (via Sgcafe), the characters showed off and announced for the Capcom side so far are Ryu and Ken, X and Zero from the Mega Man series, Demitri and Dante (Darkstalkers and Devil May Cry respectively), and Chris and Jill from the Resident Evil series.

The party members from the Sega side are Shinguji Sakura and Ogami Ichiro from Sakura Wars, Ulala and Touma from Space Channel 5 and Shining Force respectively, Kurt and Reila from the Valkyria Chronicles series, and Pai and Akira from the Virtua Fighter franchise.

From Namco Bandai's stable, players will get to use Sanger Somvold from Super Robot Wars, Jin and Xiaoyu from the Tekken franchise, Kos-Mos and T-elos from Xenosaga, Yurie and Estelle from Tales of Vesperia, and Black Rose and Kaito from the .hack franchise. A trailer for the game will be up this month.

the tales games aren't bad because of the characters

they're bad because the system sucks

and that right there is a game where I get to play Zero sooooooo

sounds pretty rad

chillaxton.jpg