As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Silent Hill 3 - Sets 14 - 17 - Ending

HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
Let's Play Silent Hill 3

silentg.jpg

Hello and welcome to Let's Play Silent Hill 3. I was meaning to do this thread far sooner than this but work keeps me tied up with a ball and chain, those bastards!

Anyway, this run is pretty much a blind run (having played it briefly in 2003) and as such, will most likely involve losts of getting lost and looking at the damn map while running from horrific abomonations. If that sounds like your kind of thing then settle down for a mad english man getting scared and lost!

This is played using the PC version of the game, so it's all pretty! Yay! I'm using a gamepad mainly due to the fact the keys for this suck balls.

The videos

Intro
Set 1 - Nothing phallic to see here, move along!
Set 2 - Stairs of doom!
Set 3 - Wow, er, well, um, huh, yeah.
Set 4 - Death Trains
Set 5 - Wine and Crack
Set 6 - Falling is fun
Set 7 - Where's the map!
Set 8 - Hands off the girl
Set 9 - Story time with Helloween
Set 10 - Naughty Nurses
Set 11 - Crushed by Bacon
Set 12 - The horror race
Set 13 - In which many things are shot at
Set 14 - Eek, fog!
Set 15 - Scary-go-round
Set 16 - Church time beatings
Set 17 - The End

See all of my Let's Plays Here:
Youtube Channel!
Helloween on

• Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Such a beautiful game, Team Silent made some of the most expressive models in the industry in this game, and some modern games have a hard time conveying emotion compared to SH3. I break out my PC version every year for a romp, and i'll gladly be following along with you on this. I'm surprised you haven't played it all the way through before!

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay! Helloween is back, more delightful British screams.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Such a beautiful game, Team Silent made some of the most expressive models in the industry in this game, and some modern games have a hard time conveying emotion compared to SH3. I break out my PC version every year for a romp, and i'll gladly be following along with you on this. I'm surprised you haven't played it all the way through before!

Basically me and my friend used to play them together, because we are huge wusses. We never made it through the mall last time. Exceptional yellow bellyness.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    BritishDavidBritishDavid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the graphics in Silent Hill 3 are surprisingly awesome, even for today.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Annnd set 5.

Set 5 - Wine and Crack

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    is there a way to make the video full screen without first going to youtube? Can i do it from the board with a keyboard shortcut or something? Apologies for my ineptitude.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I forget how relentless SH3 feels for the first few hours. I dunno how to explain it...even tho there's a sense of dread throughout SH2 you get breathers every now and then. Meanwhile SH3 is so...oppressing. Even the music reflects that. One of my favorites.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ahhhhh. Silent Hill 3. I would like it MUCH more than I do now...if it didn't make James from SH2 look like such a wimp, since heather has more stamina, and can hold a shotgun better, and she gets my favorite weapon in the entire series.

I have a good bit of pointless knowledge about the game, so if it's alright with our esteemed Helloween, I'd like to share it with everyone. Of course, nothing that Helloween hasn't passed in the game, and if it's something that could be gotten in a new game plus (Like a few easter eggs that involve Silent Hill 2 save data) I'd put them in spoilers.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    the silence after you didn't correctly use a health kit right at the end of S3 - P1 made me laugh out loud.

BritishDavid on
    CjTxUSDXAAEzV5h.jpg
    Xbox | x Dredgen Yor x |
  • Options
    kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Silent Hill 3 is one of the top 3 game soundtracks of its decade.

kitch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    the silence after you didn't correctly use a health kit right at the end of S3 - P1 made me laugh out loud.

You wouldn't believe how bad the controls are. Even with a playstation usb pad in.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Helloween wrote: »

You wouldn't believe how bad the controls are. Even with a playstation usb pad in.
    Personally, what I do with PC ports where I use a gamepad, is look up what the controls were for the console version, and try to replicate them exactly like that. Not sure how feasable that is with SH3 though, since I don't know how customizing controls works in that.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also, your controller sounds like it sucks.

Good thing I subscribed to you.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hooray I finally tracked the (only recently created) thread down.

Enjoying the new LP Hello. I just finished watching a few of your older LPs in the interim and look forward to what you have planned for this new year after your done with SH3.

SH3 seems to be a bit confusing in places (where you left off in the office building for example), but it really is surprisingly tense and scary. I nearly jumped out of my chair when you were wandering around the train stations hearing things. So far it's better then Homecoming in that respect. Very good choice to start with.

Also, wtf, a medieval mace in a sewer? Really?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh, hey, a Helloween thread! Thanks for bumping it up.

I felt like popping in to say I'm a big fan of Helloween's Let's Plays. I remember getting hooked on the F.E.A.R. LP's and watching the Dead Space one unfold (one of my favorite LP's in particular). With Dead Space 2 out in the wilds, it makes me excited to see how it will be tackled. And of course I'm consuming all of the SH3 videos as well, so keep doing what you do best!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Corehealer wrote: »
    SH3 seems to be a bit confusing in places (where you left off in the office building for example), but it really is surprisingly tense and scary. I nearly jumped out of my chair when you were wandering around the train stations hearing things. So far it's better then Homecoming in that respect. Very good choice to start with.
    The office complex isn't actually that bad...it's just that helloween doesn't have the MAP (Which is in the dance studio, where Helloween ended the last set, and started the newest set that JUST went up, I might add).

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The new set where he runs around in circles being hilariously lost in spite of not having a map or anything.

2 suggestions for Helloween to try:
    - Check the Dance studio for the map (the actual big dance floor room with all the baddies in need of katana beatings is the most likely location for it to be in).
    - Try using the Jack you picked up in the auto parts office room to wedge open the one 3rd floor elevator door which was partially open and too narrow to enter before. Maybe that leads somewhere.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Another suggestion, since you're REALLY asking. GO BACK TO THE SAVE POINT ROOM (which is also near the dance studio). The map is also not in the dance room itself. It's in the office of the dance studio (there is actually literally nothing in the dance room itself other than enemies)

In that desk, right next to the save point, there's an item that you need to get to progress the game in the drawer to the right. You can see heather's head latch right onto it, but she's been turned just a BIT too far to the left to not comment on the desktop, and look in the drawer.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I guess Helloween is not updating the thread?

Videos only go up to set 5, but on his Youtube page he's up to set 7.

Might be that dreaded 'work' thing he keeps mentioning. Whatever that is.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Either that or he's just lazy. I mean, he also hasn't fixed the playlist for F.E.A.R Perseus Mandate...

Though I cant honestly blame him for not wanting people to watch the slog through that game.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sadly its work, I can edit youtube parts from work but not this thread, now its the weekend I can edit all this, woo. The FEAR thing...I had actually totally forgotten, oops. I'll get on updating that.

I'll update this thread first, then FEAR.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There we go. FEAR next.

Set 6 - Falling is fun
    Set 7 - Where's the map!
    EDIT: ooo tips! Thanks for those guys that does help. Now I know where I need to be heading.

Edit 2: Ive lost my old fear thread D: Anyone have a link? I can't seem to search for it or go through my 'Helloween's threads'

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah. Searching has been disabled for everyone.

I guess you COULD do it by going through your uploads list and getting them manually, since it's only sets six, seven, and nine (of F.E.A.R) that are missing from the playlist.

EDIT: Found it. here.

You should probably send that to henroid, since it's not in the archive list.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sorry for the late update, I haff been ill :(

Set 8 - Hands off the girl

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You are so bad at this game, Ween. SO BAD.

But it's an enjoyable watch, all the same.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In helloween's defense for this new set that went up a couple days ago, I think they used the same texture for all the doors in the apartment...

It's just that on the PS2, the textures are too low resolution to see any of them.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    heenato wrote: »
    In helloween's defense for this new set that went up a couple days ago, I think they used the same texture for all the doors in the apartment...

It's just that on the PS2, the textures are too low resolution to see any of them.

Pfft, now thats no excuse!

annnnd update time:

Set 9 - Story time with Helloween
    Set 10 - Naughty Nurses

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Helloween, one thing you should do is examine some of the items in your inventory. I believe you can actually read the journal that harry had given to heather, and there's one puzzle MUCH later in the game that basically assumes that you had examined your items closely (And a bit of knowledge about the first game, but you have THAT already).

And ten parts in and you still haven't made a playlist for SH3. >:

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Katana is a bad choice of melee weapon. Go with the pipe.

As counterintuitive as it may seem, pipes will actually stun and knock enemies back and will swing much more quickly. You can keep hoards of enemies perpetually stunned as you beat them senseless. By contrast, the katana is much harder for Heather to swing, won't strike multiple enemies and she has to pull it out of their guts each time. The steel pipe just bounces off, so Heather's noodly girl arms find it much easier to swing recklessly.

Ironically, it's truth in video games. An untrained guy with a club is usually better off with the club than with the sword.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

As counterintuitive as it may seem, pipes will actually stun and knock enemies back and will swing much more quickly. You can keep hoards of enemies perpetually stunned as you beat them senseless. By contrast, the katana is much harder for Heather to swing, won't strike multiple enemies and she has to pull it out of their guts each time. The steel pipe just bounces off, so Heather's noodly girl arms find it much easier to swing recklessly.

Ironically, it's truth in video games. An untrained guy with a club is usually better off with the club than with the sword.

Awww but swords! I'll give it a try then next set.

Yeah I'll make a playlist for it asap. I keep forgetting :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Helloween wrote: »

Awww but swords! I'll give it a try then next set.

Yeah I'll make a playlist for it asap. I keep forgetting :(
    Oh yeah, and I think the pipe may have better reach too. Also a big deal, since that makes it easier to avoid hits.

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    You need to log on more Ween so I can mock you in person. GOD.

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Magus` wrote: »
    You need to log on more Ween so I can mock you in person. GOD.

I am fool, just not on msn. You need to add me to skype yo.

I'm gunna record a set tonight if all goes to plan.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm watching this. It's pretty great.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Visti wrote: »

Honestly I find silent hill games to be pretty blah when it comes to LPs, no offense helloween but after the third set I stopped watching this one as I felt it was pretty boring. Nothing wrong on your end, its just the silent hill games are ones that never really scared me or interested me. I always played them as was "oh theres a monster, oh theres a locked door, oh theres a generic item to a generic puzzle, and so on and so forth."

I'm looking forward to the Dead Space 2 LP though big time, I just hope your doing a blind run of that.

iRevert on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    iRevert wrote: »

Honestly I find silent hill games to be pretty blah when it comes to LPs, no offense helloween but after the third set I stopped watching this one as I felt it was pretty boring. Nothing wrong on your end, its just the silent hill games are ones that never really scared me or interested me. I always played them as was "oh theres a monster, oh theres a locked door, oh theres a generic item to a generic puzzle, and so on and so forth."

I'm looking forward to the Dead Space 2 LP though big time, I just hope your doing a blind run of that.
    I have a non-blind of it. Neither am I the greatest wit. But maybe you don't mind.

I enjoy Silent Hill either for involved plots or, in one case, a good story. I think it also has a good take on Lovecraftian horror; although Silent Hill does tend towards gothic horror as well.

Silent Hill 2 is the one game in the series that follows in the footsteps of a classic tragedy. An otherwise decent man is brought low by a cruel twist of fate. He is responsible for it, or feels responsible for it, even though he didn't have any free will the matter.

It's also problematic because that's all fans remember. They tend to ignore that the other games were rather straightforward detective-thriller plots. (What is the town? What is its history? Is any of this actually real? Who is my daughter really? Who is this Alessa person anyway? What is the motive of the serial killer? What is the motive of the religious fanatic who killed my father? What's with all this otherworldly symbolism? Why are these assholes questioning my motives? Am I going crazy?)

Twenty Sided on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The acting so far sucks, but is made up for by Helloween. The interim checking door sections and occasional monster beatings are a mixed bag, but that's also made up for by Helloween. Some of the sounds and sections, however, filled with cryptic bullshit as they are, are still genuinely scary, and Helloween's last set's ending in the rusty and fucked up Hospital wing along with some of the parts in the train station and sewers are examples of this.

Would I watch or play SH3 without Helloween's commentary? No, because it's half scary enough that I'd wuss out and half boring and retarded enough to make me say screw it.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    iRevert wrote: »

Yeah. I think the main scares of Silent Hill open happen when its you in the hot seat. The sound, the tension, the freaks, its all only really effective when you have heather under your direct control.

I'll update the thread tonight, sorry about the slowness. I basically upload and release then hit bed before work.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey! Helloween! Remember that room you said was "probably unimportant" in set 13? Yeah...it was a "Birthday present" and actually DID have lots of goodies in it. And with the way you play the game, it's possible it could have had SMG ammo. Of which you currently have about all you will ever get in the game.

You also missed one of the best moments of the game in the third floor storage room in the nightmare hospital.

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I was gonna tell him that next time he logged in. What a jerk!

Magus` on