As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Valiant

NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Graphic Violence
Is anyone a Valiant fan?

I've only collected a hand full of Valiant's stuff, and hope to get my hands on more.

For those of you who don't know:
wikipedia wrote:
Valiant Comics is the comic book publishing company founded by former Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Jim Shooter and renowned writer/artists Bob Layton and Barry Windsor-Smith in 1989.

Valiant Comics stormed onto the market in the 1990s, selling more than 80 million comic books in its first five years. Its characters have seen print in numerous languages across the globe and have been featured in a number of video game franchises that have sold over 10 million units.

The Valiant characters have been called by some the most important of those created after the Marvel revolution in the 1960s (when Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, etc. were created).

The Valiant universe includes Archer and Armstrong, Armorines, Bloodshot, Eternal Warrior, H.A.R.D. Corps, Harbinger, Magnus Robot Fighter, Ninjak, Psi Lords, Quantum and Woody, Rai, Second Life of Dr. Mirage, Shadowman, Solar: Man of the Atom, Turok Dinosaur Hunter, Unity and X-O Manowar, among others.

As I said, I've only had a chance to collect a sparse few, namely:

Solar (Originally Dr.Solar from Gold Key comics)

solar13wt0.jpg

Ninjak

ninjak05qg7.jpg

and Magnus Robot Fighter.

250pxmagnus0ea0.jpg

Valiant comics are somewhat uncommon now, since Valiant was bought up by Acclaim (now also defunct) in 94. Acclaim redid and redistributed most of Valiants characters (namely Solar, Ninjak, Manowar, Turok, etc). I haven't read any of Acclaim's versions, but I'd be willing to bet that they're terrible.

Also, lucky you if you have any Gold Key comics.

Newtron on

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow, hey... I guess we know who wears short shorts.

Seriously, though, Valiant always interested me, but I never got to read their stuff.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Quantum and Woody.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    X-O MANOWAR

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have a few issues of Ninjak that I bought back in the 90s. Beyond those, I don't know anything about Valiant comics. I suppose scouring the dollar comics boxes would probably rectify this problem.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    I won a special gold copy of the first issue of Deathmate, the Image/Valiant crossover, in an art contest back in junior high. I have no idea where it is but I'm not basing my retirement plans around it.

Some of the concepts behind Valiant characters were pretty cool. I thought the H.A.R.D. Corps were a cool idea (in spite of their name).
    The characters were normal humans who were comatose and revived with an experimental brain implant that also enabled them to access an assortment of artificial Harbinger super-abilities via an operator named 'Softcore.'

Basically they could call in and ask for any one superpower at a time: intangibility, flight, ultra-mass, etc., but they couldn't fly and be invulnerable at the same time.

DMAC on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, Barry Windsor-Smith rocked the casbah back in the day.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DMAC wrote:
    I won a special gold copy of the first issue of Deathmate, the Image/Valiant crossover, in an art contest back in junior high. I have no idea where it is but I'm not basing my retirement plans around it.

Some of the concepts behind Valiant characters were pretty cool. I thought the H.A.R.D. Corps were a cool idea (in spite of their name).
    The characters were normal humans who were comatose and revived with an experimental brain implant that also enabled them to access an assortment of artificial Harbinger super-abilities via an operator named 'Softcore.'

Basically they could call in and ask for any one superpower at a time: intangibility, flight, ultra-mass, etc., but they couldn't fly and be invulnerable at the same time.

Man is that what thier thing was, that does sound hella awsome. I really liked the few issues of Dr. Mirage, Magnus Robot hunter and XO Manowar that i was able to get my hands on.

I really liked Xo Mano war, an barberic warrior kidnapped by aliens and returns to earth wearing one of their foot soldier armored skin suits, man, its pretty much

Hey guys what if we mixed, Captain America, Iron Man, Venom and Conan the Barbarian, bowel full of awsome sauce with a side of ass kicker juice.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited February 2007
    bowel full of awsome sauce with a side of ass kicker juice.

o_O

DMAC on