As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Latex [Chat]

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    "I wanted to eat dinner with you dudes, but I am too much of a neckbeard to attend your soiree, I will now retire to the Asia Go! in the mall and get myself some orange chicken because I am filth"
    matt-705246.jpg

needs moar fedora

nice peacoat, though it might be a little big for you

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Jacob, this is a pretty cool power someone came up with for M&M 3E:
    View Post
    Imaginary Friend: Summon 10, Active, Heroic, Innate, Mental Link, Sacrifice, Subtle * 44 points.

Allows you to have a 150 Heroic-type Sidekick who knows what you're thinking and in a pinch can throw himself into harms way to save you. Innate means he's "real" in the sense that he can't be Nullified as a power and Subtle means people don't notice when you call for him. Though he should probably be invisible or something or everyone is going to know anyway.

Haha, that is awesome.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It did kind of suck when we went to that shitty bar and I got splinters in my nice parts, though.

This is how I read this. I have unpleasant mental images now.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My parents were useless for teaching me how to dress

TL DR on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    "I wanted to eat dinner with you dudes, but I am too much of a neckbeard to attend your soiree, I will now retire to the Asia Go! in the mall and get myself some orange chicken because I am filth"
    matt-705246.jpg

needs moar fedora

That was a random google image search, heh

I don't dress anything like that guy. I actually was sad he didn't have fingerless gloves.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    matt-705246.jpg

needs moar fedora

Been thinking about some coat like that, my leather jacket is getting really worn.
    coat.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hey Jacob, this is a pretty cool power someone came up with for M&M 3E:
    View Post
    Imaginary Friend: Summon 10, Active, Heroic, Innate, Mental Link, Sacrifice, Subtle * 44 points.

Allows you to have a 150 Heroic-type Sidekick who knows what you're thinking and in a pinch can throw himself into harms way to save you. Innate means he's "real" in the sense that he can't be Nullified as a power and Subtle means people don't notice when you call for him. Though he should probably be invisible or something or everyone is going to know anyway.

Haha, that is awesome.

It could be amusing to have all of your points beyond the basics sunk into a power like that. Or play Jimmy Olsen.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    i mean you can also make a case that saying "its $30/plate, you have to wear a suit" is kinda classist

maybe someone like me could swing the 30/plate but isn't gonna be able to shell out for a suit that they will wear for this thing

i mean i know you believe that everyone should have at least one nice suit will

but the reality is that some people just can't afford it, yet maybe they could save up the money for this con

well yeah the cost is higher then i expected because of the restaurant week thing and i feel kind of bad about that.

but let's be honest about "dressing up": it's incredibly cheap to get a passable jacket and tie at a thrift store. you can even find some really stylish retro stuff if you look around a tiny bit. people objecting to dressing up are doing so out of a philosophical objection. because, as nerds, we shouldn't have to conform or dress up or behave in the way that society expects us to.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    i mean you can also make a case that saying "its $30/plate, you have to wear a suit" is kinda classist

maybe someone like me could swing the 30/plate but isn't gonna be able to shell out for a suit that they will wear for this thing

but the reality is that some people just can't afford it, yet maybe they could save up the money for this con

I think having the money for halfway decent clothes is way easier than having the money for a cross-country plane ticket and a convention pass and a hotel room etc etc etc.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    My parents were useless for teaching me how to dress

Most of the jackets in my closet are still my father's hand-me-downs.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Some people just won't already own a nice suit, Will.

If they all owned nice suits and refused to wear them, then fine: they're being slovenly. If they don't own one, they're going to be put out by the huge expense for one meal.

Compromise, Will. Book two tables, split the guests between the two based on smartness and style, and make sure one table is significantly lower than the other. Everyone can then attend, and you can look down on the slackers. Win - win.

Bogart on
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I think having the money for halfway decent clothes is way easier than having the money for a cross-country plane ticket and a convention pass and a hotel room etc etc etc.

Stupid poverty.

Cinders on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Echo wrote: »
    matt-705246.jpg

needs moar fedora

Been thinking about some coat like that, my leather jacket is getting really worn.
    coat.jpg

if you oil it, it'll look a little less worn probably

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had dreadlocks and wore rave pants in high school

I only started looking reasonable because I was doing crime and didn't want to get pulled over

And now I look like a grownup because I need to wear a shirt and slacks for work, so 8-)

TL DR on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And if you are on that border where that suit is the exact breaking point for what you're comfortable to spend, don't go to the fancy dinner. It's really limiting to have to do something every night that can't exclude even one person by temperament or expense. Maybe somebody else could plan another D&D outing at a burger joint?

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    matt-705246.jpg

needs moar fedora

nothing ever needs more fedora.

at the moment i don't have any wearable suits. i've lost too much to get mine tailored/resized and would have to get a new one. with no interviews/weddings/funerals on the horizon that is not one of my priorities.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My coat is big for me, at least in the sleeves. But it's certainly a step up over the ski jacket I used to wear all winter.

As for dressing up, I don't like to do so, but if the situation calls for it, such as a wedding or the office holiday party, I'll do it.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011

some of these guys are talking about sleeping 8 to a room so...

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Bogart wrote: »

If they all owned nice suits and refused to wear them, then fine: they're being slovenly. If they don't own one, they're going to be put out by the huge expense for one meal.

Compromise, Will. Book two tables, split the guests between the two based on smartness and style, and make sure one table is significantly lower than the other. Everyone can then attend, and you can look down on the slackers. Win - win.

i like the idea of asking the hostess to lead them to the arby's down the street

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    I can do business casual. Anything else and I need to go shopping.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »

man

I mean I would really like to go to PAX but not sleeping with 7 other dudes much

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »

And I know you don't realize it, but people live on this side of the country too. So it could be a cheap bus ticket to get to the con instead of flying cross country.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I think it was Pony who ventured the opinion that the nerds who were often the most vocally opposed to dressing up and maybe shaving were often vehemently opposed to a lass approaching their own level of slovenliness, thus making their avowed focus on what's inside that counts kind of hollow. It rung true to me.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I could drive to PAX East. I could stay at a friends place. I could traverse the bars by night with people I kind of know and look at/play video games with people by day, and experience the magic of a convention.

But I am not, because I am a son of a bitch who doesn't have a strong enough urge to go ahead and do it.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i am saying that a sport coat at a thrift store will run someone $5 or so

and it's something that, really. you should own anyways

if anyone really honestly is so hard up that they can't scrimp and save for a $5 sport coat then i am happy to spot you that money

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I will wear my finest suit, Will.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

i like the idea of asking the hostess to lead them to the arby's down the street

Don't kick them out of the restaurant. Just remove their cutlery and make them eat with their hands. From a communal trough.

Bogart on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it was Pony who ventured the opinion that the nerds who were often the most vocally opposed to dressing up and maybe shaving were often vehemently opposed to a lass approaching their own level of slovenliness, thus making their avowed focus on what's inside that counts kind of hollow. It rung true to me.

yes. people are silly. it is a thing.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

right and what i was confused about

is business casual enough to not be "slovenly"

i mean expecting people to be able to hit business casual is one thing

expecting them in a suit is another

and calling people who either dont HAVE a suit

or don't like them

slovenly

seems uh

hyperbolic

Arch on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I could drive to PAX East. I could stay at a friends place. I could traverse the bars by night with people I kind of know and look at/play video games with people by day, and experience the magic of a convention.

But I am not, because I am a son of a bitch who doesn't have a strong enough urge to go ahead and do it.

i had a lot of fun at it last year

i guess i didn't care all that much for the convention itself, but it was a lot of fun to hang out with my forum bros

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Desc, I can do the dice roll for you if need be. But I can't reach that site either.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Don't kick them out of the restaurant. Just remove their cutlery and make them eat with their hands. From a communal trough.

brb opening theme restaurant.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maybe it is a bit silly for me to buy a suit just for dinner with internet people

I could get away with a sharp blazer?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'd only go if I could dress like Usher.
    usher-Vegas.jpg

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

or don't like them

slovenly

seems uh

hyperbolic

see

the problem is that "business casual" is what tech nerds consider to be "ill-fitting khakis and a shitty polo with sneakers"

those are not appropriate clothes for a decent restaurant in this city.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maybe it is a bit silly for me to buy a suit just for dinner with internet people

I could get away with a sharp blazer?

that would be fine

if you need to borrow a tie i have hundreds

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

well yeah the cost is higher then i expected because of the restaurant week thing and i feel kind of bad about that.

but let's be honest about "dressing up": it's incredibly cheap to get a passable jacket and tie at a thrift store. you can even find some really stylish retro stuff if you look around a tiny bit. people objecting to dressing up are doing so out of a philosophical objection. because, as nerds, we shouldn't have to conform or dress up or behave in the way that society expects us to.

For once, even I agree with Will here.

The sociopolitical underpinning of 'Business Attire' pisses me off, plus the horrible circularity of the word 'professional'. I will go 100 rounds with Will on that and not break a sweat.

But you can go buy some cool or even ridiculous jacket from a second-hand shop if you have to for a party. A party is not an interview.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i am saying that a sport coat at a thrift store will run someone $5 or so

and it's something that, really. you should own anyways

if anyone really honestly is so hard up that they can't scrimp and save for a $5 sport coat then i am happy to spot you that money

So you're just talking business casual, right? Not formalwear?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    my list of forum bros is much diminished. on the other hand, so is my list of forum enemies.

I miss both!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

or don't like them

slovenly

seems uh

hyperbolic

see

the problem is that "business casual" is what tech nerds consider to be "ill-fitting khakis and a shitty polo with sneakers"

those are not appropriate clothes for a decent restaurant in this city.

well excuse me if i cant afford nice polos and there is barely a pair of pants that fit me correctly, let alone nice looking ones

this isn't said in a huff, but it IS said sarcastically

considering i am currently wearing ill fitting khakis and a shitty polo shirt

this is all of my clothes

Arch on
This discussion has been closed.