As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cover letter for internship--mention I'm a nontraditional student or no?

LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm applying to an internship and am pondering whether to mention in the cover letter that I'm a nontraditional student (early 30s). I can't decide if saying this outright would be an advantage or disadvantage. I have a lot of office experience and a good work history, which I feel like should be in my favor. But maybe they're specifically looking for fresh-face youths or something. When they get to my resume/work history it'll be apparent I'm not "normal" college age, but should I say something in the cover letter?

If anyone has suggestions for interview clothes for women and, even better, good clothing websites to browse in, that would also be awesome. (Keeping in mind I don't have very much money at the moment, so nothing really high-end.)

LadyM on

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Speak to your instructor or advisor; you can certainly mention it indirectly - allude to your years of professional work experience before entering school, to which anyone would be able to infer an age range.

As for dress - what type of work is it?

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's an office job for a municipal government organization. (Sorry to be vague, but I'm paranoid about companies and their nefarious search engines, ha ha.) Doing computer work to crunch data and so forth.

LadyM on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Internships are usually a way for companies to get people to work for them and pay them jack squat. It's also a way for the companies and employees to preview each other for hiring. You're probably going to be significantly more adept in the workplace environment than the average college student so I can't imagine they'd be unhappy.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Everythign I've learned about job applications has told me that employers value mature employees much mroe thatn students; mroe patient, have experience, and easier to relate to (age wise). I'd definitely make mention of it.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png