As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So this game has just gone from holy shit hard to what the fuck do I even do hard. This game. For some reason I keep going back even after failing miserably tons of times in a row. It's so damn addicting.

Oh and I'm at...level 3 of Stage 6. Shit is getting real.

EDIT: On Normal.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think the game is only 8 stages or so?

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    I think the game is only 8 stages or so?

Yeah from what I know it is. Most areas have two levels + Boss Stage but this one has 3 levels + Boss stage and oh my god. I just tried again for another hour or more but I can't solve this thing....It's nagging at me.

Seriously whenever I'm just sitting down I sit there going through different patterns in my head to set up stairways to reach the tops of certain walls I create in my head. This game is eating me.

Oh and stage 7 I see above has 4 levels + Boss but...not there yet. And whatever stage 8 has I have no clue.

mastrius on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I'm realy tempted to get a kanji dictionary and give this game an import. My oral Japanese is rusty as hell and was never realy good but my kanji has always been abysmal. Why couldn't they just stick to one alphabet like most civilizations?

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am really intrested in this game but I am disappointed by a lack of release date for US yet. This is leading me with seldom choice but to fly to Japan. Kidnap an old man, steal a japanese Xbox and a copy of this game, and then convince the old man that translating this game into English is some sort of game show.

Psychotic One on
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am really intrested in this game but I am disappointed by a lack of release date for US yet. This is leading me with seldom choice but to fly to Japan. Kidnap an old man, steal a japanese Xbox and a copy of this game, and then convince the old man that translating this game into English is some sort of game show.

Oh boy, it's time for the Lightning Round!

RisenPhoenix on
  • MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Oh boy, it's time for the Raitoningu Raundo!

Fixed that for ya.
    Serriously I should import this. Literaly one week after I got my copy of Demon's Souls the US version was announced. So logically this would make the US version of Catherine get fast tracked.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, this is way too frustrating. There's no way I'm going through multiple playthroughs.

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, this is way too frustrating. There's no way I'm going through multiple playthroughs.

See what I mean? Shit is hard man. I don't find it hatefully aggravating luckily. I just find it wow what the hell hard. Still stuck on the same level. But I did just reach a checkpoint and there's a pillow right above i can always reach so it's time to figure this out.

Edit: and for people who don't mind kind of a gist of the story the first half is on Justin.tv under RedSunGamers profile. Thats how I got through the first half knowing what was going on. They said no new releases next week as far as Japanese games go so they may just do the next half of Catherine. So I mean. If you wanna wait and see then if they do it you can just use that to get through the scenes. It's not a perfect translation but the guy does it on the fly as the other guy is going through and it works perfectly well enough. I mean I'm definitely buying this in English if it comes out but It's nice to know what's up. So with any luck they'll do that next half.

mastrius on
    edited February 2011
    Meh... the plot is pretty good but it's nothing special. The gameplay wouldn't be that bad if they gave you infinite lives and instant respawn, but it's so annoying to have to do go through the "Love is Over" screen every single time.

I'm stopping for the night on 6-2. I'll probably soldier on through the game, but it's really not very good.

CygnusZ on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, someone in SE++ volunteered to help me through the dialogue, so hopefully that works out.

And I'll probably continue with my plans to stream it, because why not. Some help's better than none.

I'm generally good with adapting to challenges, so I'm sure I'll be fine. (Not watching the RedSun stream at all, I'm going in blind.)

I guess I'll have it on Monday or Tuesday, looks like.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Meh... the plot is pretty good but it's nothing special. The gameplay wouldn't be that bad if they gave you infinite lives and instant respawn, but it's so annoying to have to do go through the "Love is Over" screen every single time.

I'm stopping for the night on 6-2. I'll probably soldier on through the game, but it's really not very good.

I actually really like the story so far, and as far as the gameplay goes I'm also really liking that too. I don't know. I can see people certainly not liking it. Especially if they choose Normal or Hard on their first playthrough and hate puzzles to begin with. Then it's just hard as hell. But to me it's fun to try and figure everything out and reach the top. Luckily I have good amounts of patience when it comes to these kinds of things.

Boss level spoiler
    Oh and I passed 6-3 and got to the boss level and holy shit is it hard. Like. Wow hard. Just....saws that drive around on the blocks and cutting chunks of the level away and dropping things on me. Oh god. It's horrible. So frantic but still. I really love this game.

And cj if you do that and get the dialogue and what not could you forward it to me if it's typed out? Because I'd love that myself if you're able. If not it's cool but if so I'd love you forever.

mastrius on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm requesting that any details of levels and bosses be spoilers.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Woohoo just passed 7-1. I have a feeling I will hate these levels.

But with love.

mastrius on
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, apparently people are shitting all over the game because of how hard it is. Personally, that makes me very happy since I've been looking for a challenge ever since raping Demon's Souls for all its worth.

Does it seem like its a "good" difficult or just cheap?

Mattakuevan on
    edited February 2011
    I'm surprised people were expecting any less. This is Atlus.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    So, apparently people are shitting all over the game because of how hard it is. Personally, that makes me very happy since I've been looking for a challenge ever since raping Demon's Souls for all its worth.

Well, if you like solving 3D spatial relation puzzles under a very strict time limit while there are elements that simply kill you at random, and let's not forget a camera that will simply refuse to fucking focus on your character during some of the most pivotal moments.

The story is the light at the end of the tunnel. And honestly, it's pretty good... not the BEST by any stretch of the imagination. Talking to the patrons at Stray Sheep is the highlight of the game for me.

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011

I'm honestly finding it to be what some refer to as a "good" difficult.

it's like how I felt about the Mega Man games of yore. They're hard as all fuck and yet you feel like you need to conquer the shit out of them so you go back and learn new tricks to get by where you were dying. That's how I feel. I have only yelled very few times at this game but it didn't stop me from playing. It just made me think of new tactics. Of which there are oh so very many.

Tip: Always talk to the two sheep sitting next to each other and say yes to listening to their hints. You will be glad for their advice.

So this game is most definitely hard. And by that I mean....when I played the demo and was watching the stream of the game, I was going through Normal in the Full Game and the stream was Easy. I could point out each and every difference at how much easier Easy is compared to Normal. Where on Normal it's like a whole different ball game. Also on Easy you get that Go Back a Square button which makes you pretty much invincible.

This game is obviously not Demon's Souls but in terms of difficulty it ranks up there. Like I said earlier. I have times where when I'm not playing the game I sit back and just think of new block patterns to make in my head to get past things. And it helps. But also like I said if you have no patience for some things I guarantee you won't find it to be the "good" difficult. If you think carefully and don't just pull and pull and pull and hope then you can make it past anything. It's just tough when there's a crazy bitch with a fork chasing you and the ground is dropping out and shit is raining on you and you want a higher score and....

Yeah. It's awesome to me. I really love this game.

Edit: Oh and CJ. You are so right. Which is why I also can't be mad. It's Atlus.

mastrius on
    edited February 2011
    So I got to the boss of Stage 7 and ho my god. Yes. I spelt that as ho. This stuff is insane and damn is it hard. I have a feeling I'll be at this one a while.

mastrius on
  • Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I remember an interview where they said that the demo's difficulty was cranked up compared to the actual game, though.

Chrono Helix on
    edited February 2011

I remember an interview where they said that the demo's difficulty was cranked up compared to the actual game, though.

The demo is easy as pie. After one run through I could destroy that. The full game is absolutely insane. And by that I mean don't choose easy and have fun having your brain smashed.

Note: I highly recommend choosing Normal. (I really do. Easy is no fun. It's like a cruise through just to see the small story bits.) But if you arn't good with puzzles then well.

mastrius on
    edited February 2011
    mastrius wrote: »

The demo is easy as pie. After one run through I could destroy that. The full game is absolutely insane. And by that I mean don't choose easy and have fun having your brain smashed.

Note: I highly recommend choosing Normal. (I really do. Easy is no fun. It's like a cruise through just to see the small story bits.) But if you arn't good with puzzles then well.

I didn't even die once in the demo.

CygnusZ on
    edited February 2011
    I died once from carelessness. And I'm not doing anything less than Normal.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    I died once from carelessness. And I'm not doing anything less than Normal.

Good man. It's like how after a couple SMT games I just started choosing Hard if it was available right off the bat. I mean Normal is normal of course but this game is pretty ruthless. Of course. Well. We like SMT. We like Atlus. We must like Ruthless Bullshit that takes mad skillz to get through no?

mastrius on
    edited February 2011
    Replace Ninja Gaiden with Atlus games in general and here you go:

236208115_yrZWJ-L-2.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UiDAOAXFPk

"I didn't even beat Trauma Center."
    "Nobody did, it's a fuckin' Atlus game."

RisenPhoenix on
    edited February 2011
    Well, got up to the midpoint in 6-3.
    The one thing I'll say for certain is that I'm going to Easy difficulty after this.

EDIT: Finished. 6-4 was cake.

CygnusZ on
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm liking what I hear so far about it. Comeon english release >.>

Mattakuevan on
    edited February 2011
    I'm finishing up at 7-2 for the night.
    Holy shit do the sheep have dark secrets.

CygnusZ on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eh, Atlus games are still easier than 90% of the stuff that was released for the NES.
    I can't cope with NES difficulty

Xagarath on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Replace Ninja Gaiden with Atlus games in general and here you go:

Replace Ryu with Demifiend casting Gaea Rage.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
    edited February 2011
    Apparently Cathy is too hardcore for Japan.

I'm disappointed that Hashino backed down. He should revel in their tears.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fingers crossed the English version keeps the original difficulty.

The Anonymous on
    edited February 2011
    Apparently Cathy is too hardcore for Japan.

I'm disappointed that Hashino backed down. He should revel in their tears.

The design decisions for the game were stupid. Here's what Hashino could have done to fix it:

1) Unlimited retries -- Why the fuck make us reload the game and redo the confessional? This is the most mind-boggling stupid design decision.
    2) Instant Respawn -- Do we need the goddamn Love is Dead screen every time we die? No, we fucking don't. Just let the player repsawn like in Super Meat Boy.
    3) Fixed camera -- Don't let the camera follow the boss characters!! And also, don't make it so the main character can "outrun" the camera either.
    4) Difficulty toggle -- Let the players adjust the difficulty at pre-stage platform. If they start on Medium and dying 50 times, at least give the option for them to swtich to Easy difficulty.

The difficulty itself is fine.

CygnusZ on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ...I can't say I see anything wrong with what they did...

I mean all it is is an "advice" mode for the easy difficulty.

If you don't like it...don't play on easy.

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2011
    People are saying it's too HARD on easy.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And the developers solution was to give them help while playing on easy...

Can't say I'm seeing the problem here...

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2011
    Eh, I think they're being babied too much. People have beaten the game already. It's not like it's impossible.

Granted, I haven't played it, but just my impression. It has a rewind feature already, how hard could it be?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    ...Well, I mean...I guess that really I'm in the opinion that as long as it doesn't directly influence my enjoyment(say such as beginners getting power boosts in multiplayer games) I can't say it really matters how people play games.

And Catherine looks like it'll be as much a cinematic game as it is a puzzle platformer or whatever it is, so whose to say how people want to enjoy the game is wrong or whatever?

Dragkonias on
    edited February 2011
    Eh, I think they're being babied too much. People have beaten the game already. It's not like it's impossible.

Granted, I haven't played it, but just my impression. It has a rewind feature already, how hard could it be?

Play through Night 6 on Normal, then you can talk about how everybody is being a big baby.
    No rewind feature on Normal difficulty either.

CygnusZ on