Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Catherine - the new competitive hotness. Tournament Hype!

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Eh, I think they're being babied too much. People have beaten the game already. It's not like it's impossible.

Granted, I haven't played it, but just my impression. It has a rewind feature already, how hard could it be?

Play through Night 6 on Normal, then you can talk about how everybody is being a big baby.
    No rewind feature on Normal difficulty either.

Don't worry, I will.

fiV9i14.jpg
    蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm surprised people were expecting any less. This is Atlus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UiDAOAXFPk

"I didn't even beat Trauma Center."
    "Nobody did, it's a fuckin' Atlus game."

That reminds me...I should go and beat Odin Sphere some day.

Levels and combat got too samey towards the end though.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Rogue Coral Springs, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually did beat Odin Sphere. I think only three of us here had the sanity and persistence to stare into the maw of the beast that was the true ending.
    Spoiler:

It wasn't even an Atlus game, though.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • Blue mapBlue map Freedom Fighter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually did beat Odin Sphere. I think only three of us here had the sanity and persistence to stare into the maw of the beast that was the true ending.
    Spoiler:

I'm one of the three I guess. Admittedly I did turn the difficulty down to easy halfway through Velvet's book, but that's only because I had one day to beat the game and I didn't have time to fight all the bosses over and over again on normal.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
    edited February 2011
    Blue map wrote: »
    Spoiler:

I'm one of the three I guess. Admittedly I did turn the difficulty down to easy halfway through Velvet's book, but that's only because I had one day to beat the game and I didn't have time to fight all the bosses over and over again on normal.

Yeah, Velvet's was hell. I never changed the difficulty, though. I'm stubborn like that.

It had a great story from start to finish.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • Blue mapBlue map Freedom Fighter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blue map wrote: »
    Spoiler:

It had a great story from start to finish.
    Indeed.
    Spoiler:

Oh and so we're not totally off topic, Catherine's story looks pretty interesting from what iv'e seen, I just hope the gameplay is decent enough not to make it a total chore to play.

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I FINALLY beat the boss of stage 7 after some insanely holy shit antics and WOW did the story just get FUCKED. Shit is crazy. But an awesome kind of Atlus crazy. And then I got screwed. Hardcore. And stopped playing. Luckily for the first time in the game of me playing I remembered to save the game in the Bar. Not just go on and then realize "oh shit I didn't save now I have to beat the first level before I can."

Granted it wasn't because it's impossible but because It's late and I need to sleep. I do however have 0 retries to beat this next stage with.....yeah....woooot......

Remember this though people! ALWAYS SAVE IN THE BAR AFTER A BOSS UNLESS YOU WANNA GET FUCKED.

And man. Screw that whining about it being too hard. It really isn't TOO hard. You just really need to think about things. I don't know. I totally love this game and honestly don't have any complaints. I just....don't. I dont know why but I'm fully in love with it.

"You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User
    edited February 2011
    mastrius wrote: »
    So I FINALLY beat the boss of stage 7 after some insanely holy shit antics and WOW did the story just get FUCKED. Shit is crazy. But an awesome kind of Atlus crazy. And then I got screwed. Hardcore. And stopped playing. Luckily for the first time in the game of me playing I remembered to save the game in the Bar. Not just go on and then realize "oh shit I didn't save now I have to beat the first level before I can."

Granted it wasn't because it's impossible but because It's late and I need to sleep. I do however have 0 retries to beat this next stage with.....yeah....woooot......

Remember this though people! ALWAYS SAVE IN THE BAR AFTER A BOSS UNLESS YOU WANNA GET FUCKED.

And man. Screw that whining about it being too hard. It really isn't TOO hard. You just really need to think about things. I don't know. I totally love this game and honestly don't have any complaints. I just....don't. I dont know why but I'm fully in love with it.

You say you're in love now, but pretty soon some other, flashier game is gonna come along and try to steal you away and throw your entire life into chaos.

• CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You have 0 retries to beat the next stage with.
    That means that EVERY time you die, you need to reload the game.
    You'll be spending more time flipping through the reload menu than playing the game.

I don't think the level design is bad.
    I don't think the stages are too challenging.
    I just think that you should have infinite lives and respawn instantly when you die.

edited February 2011
    Yeah. That does sound like it could be annoying.

• KazakaKazaka Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Wow, since when did japan become such a bitch

come on japan, I used to think you were harder core than the states, and then Demon's Souls did better here than with you, and now this?

... They ate, slept and worked. Some of them found uninteresting partners at work who they married and came home to. Sometimes they would half-heartededly thrust into each other and children were made. They lived a middle class existence until their deaths to heart disease and cancer.
    edited February 2011
    You have 0 retries to beat the next stage with.
    That means that EVERY time you die, you need to reload the game.
    You'll be spending more time flipping through the reload menu than playing the game.

I don't think the level design is bad.
    I don't think the stages are too challenging.
    I just think that you should have infinite lives and respawn instantly when you die.

Yeah, that's a bit of a pain for sure, but I've had such problems in other games as well.

There IS a pillow right at the start though so if I can just keep grabbing that pillow i can at least master the first part of the stage. It's a pain but luckily I don't mind it. It IS my fault. I could have restarted and beat Boss 7 with more lives but wasn't thinking of that at the moment and then tons of things happened and all I could think of was saving.

But I do see how it's a design flaw. Yes.

And CrappyJack it's true. It needs to be flashy with anime and have tons of blocks in it. Uh oh. 3D dot game heroes? No...no!

But seriously. Pretty much I'm going to beat this and then when/if the US release comes out I'm going to go through that on Hard my first time. It's going to be certainly epic. Unless I just can't wait in which case I'll just do it in this one.

• Skull2185Skull2185 is an A-hole. but not 100% a dick.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Please forgive my ignorance as I haven't really followed anything about Catherine, but this game seems interesting to me.

This game isn't an incredibly difficult RPG, but rather a puzzle/platformer?

It's like the N-word and the C-word had a baby, and it was raised by all the bad words for Jews.
    3DS FC: 5129-0946-8305
    PSN: DrSkullnumbers
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Please forgive my ignorance as I haven't really followed anything about Catherine, but this game seems interesting to me.

That is correct, there are some videos floating around with gameplay.

edited February 2011
    It's more like a puzzle game with twitch action gameplay elements.

edited February 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Try an incredibly difficult puzzle/platformer. But extremely frantic and one hell of a time limit.

edited February 2011
    So. Wow. I really wish I understood what was going on but I can see why they want after the Boss of Stage 7 kept secret. Just tons and tons of story stuff and I didn't understand it at all for the most part. Really can't wait for a translation. I think I get the gist of it but I mean going off of what's going on and reactions and my very very limited vocabulary.

Game is crazy. Also. Save in the Bar. Do not forget this. I mean it for reals.

Oh and the level I was on I beat. There are no checkpoints and a pillow right at the start anyways so you have no choice but to beat that level in one life. So it worked out for me.

But this. Oh man.

edited February 2011
    So. Wow. I really wish I understood what was going on but I can see why they want after the Boss of Stage 7 kept secret. Just tons and tons of story stuff and I didn't understand it at all for the most part. Really can't wait for a translation. I think I get the gist of it but I mean going off of what's going on and reactions and my very very limited vocabulary.

Oh and the level I was on I beat. There are no checkpoints and a pillow right at the start anyways so you have no choice but to beat that level in one life. So it worked out for me.

But this. Oh man.

I'll explain.
    DO NOT READ THESE SPOILERS UNLESS YOU HAVE PASSED THE EIGHTH NIGHT
    Spoiler:

edited February 2011

But this. Oh man.

I'll explain.
    DO NOT READ THESE SPOILERS UNLESS YOU HAVE PASSED THE EIGHTH NIGHT
    Spoiler:

Man. That's pretty insane. I figured it was something alone those lines but I was so confused.
    Spoiler:

Thanks a ton for that Cygnus. I bow to you.

edited February 2011
    Finished.

Spoiler:

edited February 2011
    Finished.

Spoiler:

When I beat it I'll let you know what ending I get.

And yeah
    Spoiler:

edited February 2011
    Finished.

Spoiler:

And yeah
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

• RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Augh, the spoiler trees begin!

C'MON ATLUS.

5v0EvHE.jpg
    STEAM | XBL | PSN
    Guild Wars 2 | RisenPhoenix.2159
    edited February 2011
    I would just really like to thank everyone for being cool about tagging spoilers, and I hope it's a trend that continues. I'm trying real hard to go into this as fresh as possible, so as long as no one starts pumping out the untagged spoilers, it's appreciated.

also RELEASE IT HERE AUUUUGH

edited February 2011
    Finished.

Spoiler:

And yeah
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

And Crappyjack no problem man. I really wouldn't want to spoil the game for anyone. It's very excellent. I did a minor spoiler about things that happened in one of the stages earlier but cj straightened me out and I threw it into a spoiler. There will be no more of that. I can't wait for the game in the states and I already have it nearly done. I can't wait to go through fully knowing what's happening and being able to talk to all the sheep and take everything in.

Although thanks to Cygnus I do know what happened. *bow*

edited February 2011
    Catherine didn't just sell well, it topped the charts.
    * Catherine (Atlus, PS3, 2/17): 141,826
    * Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom, PS3, 2/17): 67,187
    * Samurai Warriors 3Z (Tecmo Koei, PS3, 2/10): 58,089 (266,637)
    * Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom, PSP, 12/1/2010): 39,727 (4,289,349)
    * Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 3 (Namco Bandai, PSP, 2/10): 26,504 (248,572)
    * Two Worlds 2 (Ubisoft, PS3, 2/17): 24,324
    * Catherine (Atlus, X360, 2/17): 21,936
    * Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom, X360, 2/17): 13,779
    * Haku Ouki Zuisouroku DS (Idea Factory, DS, 2/17): 13,373
    * Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (Capcom, DS, 2/3): 13,186
    * Donkey Kong Returns (Nintendo, Wii, 12/9/2010): 10,824 (817,181)
    * Samura Warriors 3 Xtreme Warriors (Tecmo Koei, Wii, 12/10): 9,638 (32,236)
    * Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS, 9/18/2010): 9,502 (5,081,369)
    * DJ Max Portable 3 (CyberFront, PSP, 2/1): 8,990
    * Two Worlds 2 (Ubisoft, X360, 2/17): 8,225
    * Kenka Bancho 5 (Spike, PSP, 1/27): 8,193 (109,543)
    * Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare (Take-2, PS3, 2/10): 7,861 (29,580)
    * Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii, 7/8/2010): 7,472 (1,794,813)
    * Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami, PSP, 11/18/2010): 6,312 (176,788)
    * Ni no Kuni (Level-5, DS, 12/9/2010): 6,174 (481,003)

Need I say more, Atlus USA?

fiV9i14.jpg
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    western gamers /=/ eastern gamers.

I'm sure Atlus isn't going to localize Catherine.

firma1m.th.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Why do you say that?

fiV9i14.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Considering the stuff Atlus does localize, I'd be shocked if they didn't localize this.

Also, damn, they're not kidding about "nobody in Japan owns a 360."

edited February 2011
    The 360 sells around 3k...and even lower sometimes...a month in Japan.

Most other systems usually break the 10K mark...handhelds are usually 2-3 times more than that.

So yeah.

edited February 2011
    To put into perspective, at last I checked, the PS2 almost outsold the 360.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • jammujammu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This looks promising game. I always like time shenanigans and turn based tactical rpgs.

calvin1.png
    edited February 2011
    Wow this game did good. Awesome.

Also I fully expect this to come across. It won't stay in Japan. I don't think they've made a game of late that HASN'T come across. Especially if it's selling so well over there. I mean all they need is voice acting and translation and it's brought over. Nothing so crazy it can't be done. And this game has NOTHING in it that would bar it from going anywhere but Japan. It's perfectly fine as an M rated game.

• BursarBursar 16 tons of #9 coleslaw Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Also I fully expect this to come across. It won't stay in Japan. I don't think they've made a game of late that HASN'T come across. Especially if it's selling so well over there. I mean all they need is voice acting and translation and it's brought over. Nothing so crazy it can't be done. And this game has NOTHING in it that would bar it from going anywhere but Japan. It's perfectly fine as an M rated game.

Wow, it's just that easy! Nothing else possibly has to be done to it!

Spoiler:
    My Steam profile | 3DS FC: 0810-0331-1324
    edited February 2011
    Well yeah, gotta add that mandala onto the cover. :P

(I would laugh so hard, honestly. And still buy it.)

fiV9i14.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bursar wrote: »

This country got Deathsmiles. It will get Catherine.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »

This country got Deathsmiles. It will get Catherine.

That's my point. The main reason we don't see games here is due to content. This game has no extremely effed content that most Japanese games we don't get have. It is perfectly reasonable and made by a company that has always brought their games over for us.

• DeMoNDeMoN Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jammu wrote: »
    This looks promising game. I always like time shenanigans and turn based tactical rpgs.

Sadly I don't think this game is either of those?

PSN: Toxic_Cizzle Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Well, there's certainly time shenanigans.

fiV9i14.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DeMoN wrote: »
    jammu wrote: »

Sadly I don't think this game is either of those?

Wrong thread. You're talking about Radiant Historia for DS. Catherine is an action puzzle game with a horror story. :P

steam_sig.png