As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] PvP: Fuck you. POKEMON.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Grobian wrote:
    Hi bitching PvP thread: How about that MS buff (or retraction of the MS nerf if you prefer)?

Seems to me they want to limit the power of Wizard cleaves. Only melee classes got their MS buffed, shadow priests and frost mages still seem to have the 10% version. While I agree, that melee/hunters probably needed some buffs, I'm still opposed to the general idea of MS effects and would rather see them gone completely. This basically fucks over melee without MS again.
    Yup, everything you said is how I feel about it again. Having your effectiveness (as a healer) reduced by 25% by a passive ability that takes no effort to apply is fucking ridiculous. Looks like we'll be going back to requiring an MS class on teams again.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the frost mage and shadow priest talents got buffed and they just haven't made it to the PTR yet.

I might as well just shelve my resto druid as the spec is getting nothing but nerfs next patch, and it's already arguably the worst PvP healing class. I can't wait for rogues to be soloing healers again.

forty on
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    Again, why is it rogues that have gotten the buff (beyond them having wound poison already) when they're already a requirement for a rated battleground group? They're essential for any of the CTF bg's.

We're talking about a class that can now aoe people with a 25% healing debuff. Aren't we seeing an across the board increase to all melee in this next patch?

I can see why warriors get the MS debuff. I can see why hunters are getting the MS debuff. But giving it to rogues? Why not frost mages as well while you're at it?
    Because a chimpanzee is in charge of PvP. And that chimpanzee plays a rogue.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So I played Twin Peaks for the first time. Aside from the fact that WSG is terrible and did we really need another CTF map...

Is there something unique in that BG that would allow a paladin to bubble then kinda...fly away 50yrds or so like a Hunter using Disengage?

Because a Paladin did it twice when I was fighting them. They'd be fighting then would bubble and just bounce way the fuck away.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    If he wasn't Lifegripped, he was exploiting. And Twin Peaks is way worse than WSG.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Twin peaks is alright. If you're not a fan of the CTF type, that map isn't going to change your mind. I don't really know why Blizz thought it would be a good idea to put one base on a hill, while the other one is on a flat plain with water as one of it's exits (i.e. knockbacks are alot more useful on one side, while on the other any class with a water walking / speed increase gets a big advantage).

I'd rather Twin Peaks* popped than BfG, IoC or SotA.

I did actually have alot of fun in TP's last night as alliance. A mage, that basically blinked and sprinted away from any support and consequently died at the top of the middle ramp, but managed to poly the hunter that killed him. I managed to pick the flag up and score.

We lost the game in the end 1:1 mainly because me and my mate got the horde flag, but the rest of the team thought it would be a good idea to just defend and not bother to get our own flag back, which rarely if ever works. Horde showed alot more ambition in that game, and made one last big push with 1 min to go, to kill my mate carrying the flag. Felt kind of happy for a rather plucky DK on their side (he had awful kit, but at least he was trying).

PSN Fleety2009
    Speaking of random BGs: EotS weekend was great. Best situation was of course dying at the flag spot, waiting for Thunderstorm to come off CD, ankhing and blowing 4 alliance, who where all tapping the flag, into the void.

I got the 1600:0 achievement and I only need one more 4cap win for that achievement. I already thought I had it, but in the strange delay that happens between one side reaching 1600 and the BG actually ending, the Alliance managed to take one base from us, so it didn't count. I have no idea how to get the "Kill 5 flagcarriers", though. I guess being a stealth class could help and just pick off lone FCs.

Oh, and I'm finally in full Ruthless since yesterday. Since I can't change those points for Valor, I can now update my Ele kit.

edited October 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    Twin peaks is alright. If you're not a fan of the CTF type, that map isn't going to change your mind.
    It's actually worse than WSG as a CTF map, so if you already didn't like WoW's stinky, rotten brand of CTF that we've had for 6 years in WSG, TP just ends up being an even worse bullet in the Russian Roulette chamber that is BG queuing.

I love how there was a blue post about not trying to make too many/too significant of changes in patches, and then they go and decide to buff a PvP debuff by 150%.

forty on
  • CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    So I recently returned to WoW, got my warrior to 85, and got to start doing TB. I'm... really disappointed? I -loved- Wintergrasp. I don't know if that's rare, but I just felt it was an awesome battlefield that utilized vehicles pretty well and generally provided a fairly unique pvp platform.

Compared to that, TB just makes me sad. It just seems like a fairly long zerg-fight happens at each of the three points, and eventually one side wins or loses all three of the points at once. I know there's towers and such too, but even the closest/most exciting/dynamic games I've had in TB haven't really compared. It just feels like a zergier AB. Am I alone on that?

edited October 2011
    So the team that won the arena tournament at Blizzcon did it with a hunter in their comp... :?

Of course they were Korean, so I maybe it doesn't count.
    Cognisseur wrote:
    So I recently returned to WoW, got my warrior to 85, and got to start doing TB. I'm... really disappointed? I -loved- Wintergrasp. I don't know if that's rare, but I just felt it was an awesome battlefield that utilized vehicles pretty well and generally provided a fairly unique pvp platform.

Compared to that, TB just makes me sad. It just seems like a fairly long zerg-fight happens at each of the three points, and eventually one side wins or loses all three of the points at once. I know there's towers and such too, but even the closest/most exciting/dynamic games I've had in TB haven't really compared. It just feels like a zergier AB. Am I alone on that?
    Nope, that's pretty much TB in a nutshell. The towers/vehicles there are such a marginal aspect of the battle. As offense, a few people just get into a siege engine on occasion, drive it up to a tower, then unpack it and walk away. Maybe if the other team is being really aggressive about taking out the vehicles, then a couple people stick around to defend them.

forty on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Cognisseur wrote:

TB is ring-around-the-rosie with some pvp involved.

I finished out the achievements on my main and never looked back (at least for the pvp portion).
    forty wrote:
    So the team that won the arena tournament at Blizzcon did it with a hunter in their comp... :?

Of course they were Korean, so I maybe it doesn't count.

There were also holy paladins in both finalist teams...I had been under the impression that holy pallies were gimped in arena compared to, say, resto shamans.

Nobody on
    edited October 2011
    Nobody wrote:
    There were also holy paladins in both finalist teams...I had been under the impression that holy pallies were gimped in arena compared to, say, resto shamans.
    Nope? Certainly not since season 10 started. Holy paladins and resto shamans (there were still a ton of teams running comps with shamans) are both on the god tier of PvP healers. Disc priests are middle of the road. Resto druids and holy priests (who could just respec to disc) are the shittiest.

Any holy paladins complaining about being gimped probably suck and are hoping to get sympathy points from people assuming things are still like they were in WotLK.

forty on
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    Nobody wrote:
    Nope? Certainly not since season 10 started. Holy paladins and resto shamans (there were still a ton of teams running comps with shamans) are both on the god tier of PvP healers. Disc priests are middle of the road. Resto druids and holy priests (who could just respec to disc) are the shittiest.

Any holy paladins complaining about being gimped probably suck and are hoping to get sympathy points from people assuming things are still like they were in WotLK.

From what I understand, one of the finalist teams was running a Shaman healer, but during the tournament, or right before the tournament, was running into situations where he would get focused and die. To remedy the situation they just switched him to a Paladin, effectively trading the OP Wind Shear for better Survivability.

The finals were very good matches, much much better than last years Arena Tournament where people were fucking exploding in 1-2 global cooldowns. Although the representation of of Shaman healers, Warlocks and Death Knights was a little rediculous. It felt like every team had a combination of 2 of those three classes. Maybe it's just my perception.

I never really understood why hunters always were regarded as terrible in arena. They can output some really good burst damage and have great control on the battlefield and have a "you can't kill me yet" cooldown.

Hunters have a "problem" with los antics, but overall, I think it's less to do with what is wrong with hunters, and more to do with how good some other classes are, and that you'd (nearly) always be better off bringing them.

I don't take pvp all that seriously, so I'm not really having a whine, but it's incredibly hard to get a DK off you, which coupled with all their interrupts / silences / stuns / necrotic strike, makes them a complete and utter pain.

I tried to do some 3vs3 with some friends as Elemental (rogue + Holy paladin) and every game just had me tunneled. TSG teams were especially stupid because there was nothing I could do. I imagine that's the case for alot of dps that have a casting bar in that it's incredibly frustrating to get cast off. Went and did some 2vs2 in the end as double dps, because ironically it was more balanced and I could at least do things!

PSN Fleety2009
    edited November 2011
    Buddies wrote:
    forty wrote:
    Nobody wrote:

From what I understand, one of the finalist teams was running a Shaman healer, but during the tournament, or right before the tournament, was running into situations where he would get focused and die. To remedy the situation they just switched him to a Paladin, effectively trading the OP Wind Shear for better Survivability.

The finals were very good matches, much much better than last years Arena Tournament where people were fucking exploding in 1-2 global cooldowns.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall last year's finals going far into overtime due to a bunch of awful 40 (45?) minute draw matches.

Also, I think I read a Q&A transcript post last week where the blues regarded interrupts as "an annoyance" in their current state. It boggled my mind and made me wonder what PvP the blues are playing.

forty on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    they are nerfing wind shear, presumably, so that it'll be less annoying

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    As I recall the context applied to most/all the melee interrupts, though. Also, being unable to cast your spells half the time is not annoying. It's fucking infuriating and fatal.

They are only nerfing Resto Windshear, this changes almost nothing in the overall interrupt situation, it's just a nerf to Shaman healers. And I agree that there's too many interrupts in PvP, which shifts the game towards instants. But without separating PvE from PvP they can't fix that, so I guess it's here to stay.

Blizz acknowledged it as a problem at the start of this expansion, but if it's going to be fixed, then it's going to be something for the next expansion. Maybe.

What I find to be obnoxious when trying to cast in pvp, are the lockdown effects after an interrupt. Bad enough trying to get a cast off in the first place, but then eating a 5 second silence after? Thanks for that.

I suppose those things remain because of healers who have the survivability to back themselves up, but I can't help but feel the contrast between how fragile I am as Elemental and how much of a brick I am as Resto is just a little silly.

The next expansion, I wouldn't mind seeing instant's toned down, people being able to cast on the move a la Unleashed Lightning Glyph, lockouts removed from interrupts and maybe some kind DR effect meaning I don't sit there not being able to do anything until it's too late because a DK is sitting on me.

PSN Fleety2009
    edited November 2011
    Pushback can take a hike as well. I'm really sad that they didn't just finish it off the last time they touched it.
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    What I find to be obnoxious when trying to cast in pvp, are the lockdown effects after an interrupt. Bad enough trying to get a cast off in the first place, but then eating a 5 second silence after? Thanks for that.
    Don't forget that being followed up with a stun, and then (e.g.,) a fear or something. All on separate DRs.

forty on
    Hilarious game last night against hunter, mage, rogue. They can open on you freely and I couldn't cast a single thing (not even instants) until I was dead. At least we only met them once.

Also it's funny how hit-and-miss hunters are in general. In Ring of Valor the hunter does basically zero damage until the pillars come down and I just die, because I can't run away anymore. Arena specific wins/losses are my #2 complaint about PvP.

I read that huge ass Q&A last night.
    Q: Resto druids are fucking gimped in PvP. Are you going to fix this?

A: Yeah, just wait a year until Mists but keep paying us in the meantime while we nerf the class in 4.3!

And of course no one asked (or they didn't answer) about the retarded daily BG situation.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    They didn't make the daily BG rewards mirror daily heroics? Seven a week instead of once a day? Figures.

And good news: interrupts will have an across-the-board higher cooldown of 15-25 seconds with lockouts of 3-6 seconds. No more being literally unable to cast because of bullshit interrupts.

YL9WnCY.png
    Just have to wait a year since Mists Will Fix Everything™.

• KashiKashi Registered User regular
    Honestly honor gained from doing random BGs is perfectly fine whether you are on the daily or not. The trouble is the conquest points. 25 per day, which is like saying "uh, here, this is something I guess." I think it would be less insulting and better for pushing people into doing RBGs if regular daily randoms just gave 0 CP at all.

Also Blizz needs to stop QQing about how hard it is to change old BGs and go back and remake every one of them and include an outsider spectator mode that would allow other players to watch if they know the name of one of the characters participating. More than half the fun in Starcraft II is watching other people comment and play. Do that for RBGs and you might just turn that into an esport.

dura1top.png
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I reluctantly tried PvP again, and I must say I am delighted with how things work now. Going in to it with a "I will die a lot" attitude helps too. The post-BC maps are all pretty fun for random battles. More than once I was able to score quite a few killing blows as my troll shammy. Maybe I'm just weird but I had a lot of fun running around with my enhancement spec and unleashing my Spirit Wolf buddies on squishy, tasty mages.

Also, the strangest thing while I was playing said troll shaman. I was in Alterac Valley and... we won. Freaky, I know.

Rorus Raz wrote:
    They didn't make the daily BG rewards mirror daily heroics? Seven a week instead of once a day? Figures.

And good news: interrupts will have an across-the-board higher cooldown of 15-25 seconds with lockouts of 3-6 seconds. No more being literally unable to cast because of bullshit interrupts.

I'm not sure I see a difference. Everyone having interrupts with lockouts is a problem, because in addition to that, you're also eating stuns / counterspells / silences / fears / etc. 6 seconds of having your school locked out is a big thing.

Oh and you eventually get a cast off? Oh what a shame, your target just hit clos / ams / bubble / etc.

PSN Fleety2009
    I don't think interrupts should be removed, but they certainly need... something. Maybe reducing the casting lockout or reducing cast times in general so interrupting players is harder. Or maybe give interrupts a 0.5 second cast themselves to make them harder to land so every other spell in the game wouldn't have to be balanced around them.

As it is now, if you're a prot paladin surrounded by dps who don't know how to hit their interrupt buttons, you feel immortal. If two or more of them know what they're doing then you get murdered. There's not a lot of in between there. I never feel like "I'm not sure if I'm going to make it out of this one." I can usually tell who's going to win the fight at the first non-instant heal.

dura1top.png
    Kashi wrote:
    I think it would be less insulting and better for pushing people into doing RBGs if regular daily randoms just gave 0 CP at all.
    wat

forty wrote:
    wat
    I think you may be mistaking that as me saying "RBGs should not give Conquest Points." That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying the Blizz intern that decided the daily random BG should give 25 conquest points should have instead done the opposite of that.

It's not a carrot on a stick, it's just an annoyance. It'd be better for the group within Blizzard that likes RBGs to just make a big window pop up every day after you do your first random BG that says "HEY! Hey, you! You could be getting a reasonable number of conquest points for this if you get 9 other people who don't suck! Run some RBGs pleeeeeeeaaaase!"

Even if you do the daily BG every day all week you end the week with 175 CP which is worth exactly nothing. It's not even enough to fill out the CP cap past arenas.

I guess it doesn't hurt that it's there, it's just that it's there for absolutely no reason.

dura1top.png
    You might have a point in saying that Blizz should just get rid of those 25 points, if it weren't for the fact you can grind out Valor points from daily heroics and convert them into conquest points at a 1:1 ratio.

This is the issue. You have a pve route that gives you more points in a more flexible timeframe than it's equivalent route in pvp (i.e daily pug heroics vs daily pug BG's).

I don't see why you can't hit the base conquest weekly cap from pug BG's. I'd honestly like to see how many teams exist below 1.5k and are all about points, because I'd wager it would be a big % of the number of arena teams.

Why Blizz "forces" people to get together to do something they evidently don't enjoy, after saying sorry in TBC and WotLK for putting the rewards in there I don't know*?

At least the last expansions only asked you to take part in 30% of games. You could just suck it for a few games along with a few other guild mates then swap around with alts and get base points on all. Now you've got to win 8 games so good luck to anyone hitting 85 and enjoying that experience while the system finds your MMR rating.

I doubt anyone I come across in 2vs2 likes seeing me as a Resto Shaman + X and enjoys those games.

PSN Fleety2009
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    I assume the daily BG rewards are so terrible because it's technically possible to basically afk the whole time in a BG and still win, unlike most dungeons. I'd guess they're afraid that if the rewards are decent at all that people will do that in large quantities because it would be the easiest path to gear.

That's probably it. There are tons of bots in random BGs anyway (I can't even remember the last time I was in a BG without a bot, probably before 4.1 even), that would get even worse with better rewards.

I guess we can keep our hopes up for MoP. If they make resilience a base stat then PvP items will change somehow so maybe the method of getting them does too.

Bots being around in BG's should not be a reason as to why the first daily win should be only 25 points. I don't see why the majority of people who are there in a BG, trying to win, should be the ones with rewards that are not on par with everything else because Blizz can't sort out the bot problem in BG's.

People bot, partially, because they don't want to go through that initial grind, but what are the chances of someone getting caught botting anyway? If people use the system to report someone as afk, it just chucks them from a BG and that's probably it as far as Blizz are concerned.

You see so little done, with very little in the way of punishment.

PSN Fleety2009
    edited November 2011
    Kashi wrote:
    forty wrote:
    wat
    I think you may be mistaking that as me saying "RBGs should not give Conquest Points." That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying the Blizz intern that decided the daily random BG should give 25 conquest points should have instead done the opposite of that.

It's not a carrot on a stick, it's just an annoyance. It'd be better for the group within Blizzard that likes RBGs to just make a big window pop up every day after you do your first random BG that says "HEY! Hey, you! You could be getting a reasonable number of conquest points for this if you get 9 other people who don't suck! Run some RBGs pleeeeeeeaaaase!"

Even if you do the daily BG every day all week you end the week with 175 CP which is worth exactly nothing. It's not even enough to fill out the CP cap past arenas.

I guess it doesn't hurt that it's there, it's just that it's there for absolutely no reason.
    No, that's not what I thought you were saying. You're just not going to "push" people into RBGs who aren't already doing them at this point because they (edit: RBGs) are fucking retarded.
    Lars wrote:
    I assume the daily BG rewards are so terrible because it's technically possible to basically afk the whole time in a BG and still win, unlike most dungeons. I'd guess they're afraid that if the rewards are decent at all that people will do that in large quantities because it would be the easiest path to gear.
    You can pretty much do that in DF groups as well.
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    Bots being around in BG's should not be a reason as to why the first daily win should be only 25 points. I don't see why the majority of people who are there in a BG, trying to win, should be the ones with rewards that are not on par with everything else because Blizz can't sort out the bot problem in BG's.

People bot, partially, because they don't want to go through that initial grind, but what are the chances of someone getting caught botting anyway? If people use the system to report someone as afk, it just chucks them from a BG and that's probably it as far as Blizz are concerned.

You see so little done, with very little in the way of punishment.
    I thought treating most of your customers like scum because of the actions of a few was the idea behind oppressive DRM. it's curious that the same behavior seems to be OK with people when done with in-game mechanics.

forty on
    You can't bot DF groups, people will kick you. On the other hand you can easily bot BGs, because people can't kick you, because even the stupidest bots manage to get into combat and thereby clear their afk-flag.

You'll get kicked from some groups, yes, but not every group will be able to kick you with the limitations of the system.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Sure, but most groups aren't willing to just four man a dungeon while somebody sits afk at the entrance. If they can't kick you, they'll either just wait until they can or disband.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Part of me would rather have it so that people who get votekicked in battlegrounds become flagged for neutral pvp (so I can farm them too), but I could see that being abused.

• MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    AFK reporting is a lot more reliable now. I think it takes just a few reports for an auto-kick(no chance to clear an AFK flag at all). At least, I've seen it many times since... 4.2 I believe. Maybe it only works like that on people that have been booted the old way before.

There really needs to be a punishment for habitual AFKing. They could even put a warning at the bottom of the BG selection menu so there is no surprise(required "Accept" button the first time per character perhaps?).

edited November 2011
    Not wanting to be picky or a goose, but I'm not sure about the afk system being more reliable.

With regards to people getting reported and then immediately kicked, some people are saying that's a bug, and in fact shouldn't happen (although I have heard some say that if your character is being reported afk all the time, it counts against you and you get kicked quicker).

Who knows?

I will say that last night there was a mage afk on the gy near the stables, didn't help at all with the horde that came, killed me (the scoundrels) and took the flag. He got hit with the debuff, then got the little symbol that says you've been kicked from a bg, but oddly enough he remained and despite the debuff supposedly stopping you getting honor, I'm afraid to say he was collecting honor just fine.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009