As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Miss Fortune is way more fun than I expected her to be. She's like the fun bits of Carl Clover rolled into the fun bits of Taokaka.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Man. 'Dis AI... it's pretty tough.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Man. 'Dis AI... it's pretty tough.

I would like to know the location of your curly mustache, Dave.

EDIT - Changed my mind. I want it NAO. I'm getting in on PSN and will figure out what to do with my TE later. I'll also move to the living room and get a direct connection to the router, but now my room has no blu ray player.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Have fun guys.

Waiting for australia to catch up. :(

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Gonna get this for Xbox!

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Gonna get this for Xbox!

Gonna get this for PSN!

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I hate you.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    I'll be getting this on PS3, when I can afford it.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    BackBack Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Anyone knows what it takes to unlock Valentine and Double's story modes? I've finished the story with one character and nothing unlocked yet. I don't know how much more of Marie's bullshit I can take.

edit: im starting to think they are forever locked and that there is no story mode for them. I think it would have been better to just not put their portraits in the story mode selection at all to avoid confusion. Oh well, no matter.

Back on
  • Options
    Skullgirls is downloading agonizingly slow, even with the Ps3 connected directly. Ill stick with it but man, fuck PSN.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Back wrote: »
    Anyone knows what it takes to unlock Valentine and Double's story modes? I've finished the story with one character and nothing unlocked yet. I don't know how much more of Marie's bullshit I can take.

edit: im starting to think they are forever locked and that there is no story mode for them. I think it would have been better to just not put their portraits in the story mode selection at all to avoid confusion. Oh well, no matter.

Nope, they're in there. I'm watching a dude play them right now. You might have to do all the other story modes first.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So how's the online for the PS3 version? I'm thinking of getting this, but I'm only getting it if it has good netcode.

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    should be ggpo? i think?
    if so, it'll be pretty damn playable

just DLd on xbox, need to fiddle around and find some favorites

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    I played a single match last night against an online opponent. It was ... pretty bad.

That said, my PS3 is connected wirelessly, and I went up against someone who had a 136 ping (I like that it gives an actual number instead of the vague 4-bar method). The match was pretty lagtastic, but not so bad that I couldn't see what I was doing. I still pulled out a win. :)

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    136 ping is not something to judge a game with.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    edit: wrong one

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    It too k45 minutes to download Skullgirls on PSN. That's with a direct connection.

It took five minutes to download it on LIVE. :(

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Did anyone else try the trial before buying this game? Because I have to say, what a horrible f*cking trial.
    I'll still probably buy this later today, because I want to support it (a friend actually worked on animating one of the characters), but holy hell, there is a lesson to be learned here: Do no provide no in-game movelist, no explanation of the system, and lock out your bloody tutorials. I would not doubt they lose sales over this.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Is it just the trial that doesn't have those things, or does the full game not have move lists and tutorials either?

A filthy fighting game casual like me requires those things, or no sale.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    There's a pretty comprehensive tutorial that people say are pretty good, but no movelist I'm afraid.

You can look it up online or just try every combination though.

• Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Is it just the trial that doesn't have those things, or does the full game not have move lists and tutorials either?

A filthy fighting game casual like me requires those things, or no sale.
    The full game has tutorials, but no movelist. They had to cut it due to time and money constraints, but the SRK wiki seems to have all the move data.

Link: http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Skullgirls

My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    Apparently, the movelist will be patched based on if this game actually sells enough to warrant them patching it in.

But I am loving this game so much you guys oh my god

• Options
    im just not a big fan of games with this kind of combo system, anything more than 4-5 moves is a little mind boggling

i have an easier time with 1-2 frame SF4 link combos compared to the dissertations that are the combos coming out for skullgirls

• Options
    im just not a big fan of games with this kind of combo system, anything more than 4-5 moves is a little mind boggling

i have an easier time with 1-2 frame SF4 link combos compared to the dissertations that are the combos coming out for skullgirls

There's no Wesker, that's all I care about. I don't mind anime-esque fighters, I used to love MvC until until the series became synonymous with imbalance, exploits and curbstomping.

This morning, online play on XBLA didn't work. It just had some message saying "Validating Online" or something. I despise PSN but I own Skullgirls on both, so I will conduct experiments of how each handles online.

As for tutorials, I just went online to that url, and printed the cabinet style moves list for my references and I'm doing fine. I even beat the Story as Fillia. The conclusion was depressing, and the last boss is as chilling as she is overpowered.

• Options
    BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    I can tell you that PS3 has handled online play in the silkiest of smoothest fashions over my wireless connection. GGPO is a thing of beauty. It's nearly indistinguishable from playing a local game.

• Options
    ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    Bossking wrote: »
    Apparently, the movelist will be patched based on if this game actually sells enough to warrant them patching it in.

That's a joke, right?

• Options
    Unfortunately, no.

http://shoryuken.com/2012/04/10/skullgirls-will-be-patched-with-movelists-and-dlc-if-the-game-sells-well/

I don't really agree with this and think a movelist should've been one of the first things in, but I can't really blame them.

• Options
    I certainly hope the demo includes online play at least.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    XBL and PSN patching and host fees burning an independent dev, I'm shocked and amazed. At least the problem is nothing a few clicks can't fix with the moves list provided online. I printed the simple arcade esque moves list and will be fine.

I firmly predict that even if they see all the success in the world, the devs will, like the others, flee to Steam from butthurt. And now I need to find a stick modder because I can't do electrical engineering if my life depended upon it.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Does anyone in the FGC ever play fighters on PC? Would they ever accept the PC version of a fighter?

• Options
    XBL charge developers?

• Options
    edited April 2012
    We had a whole discussion on this in the Industry Thread. Double Fine, Uberent and Team Meat all came out and said that a patch on XBL costs $40,000 to Microsoft. Double Fine and Uberent were polite about it. Team Meat...not so much. All three devs have moved on to Steam. Microsoft's official policy is "hey, if you get it right the first time this wouldn't be an issue!"

Well that policy is garbage because Starcraft was patched, balanced, repatched and rebalanced for ten fucking years. It only recently got its final patch in 2011, a year after Starcraft 2 came out. Shit, pick any game on PC. Online multiplayer games will always need patching and rebalancing as the community finds exploits or imbalances. This requires time, win loss statistic, and an ear to the ground out to who is saying "dat character iz OP" and why. They keep an online community happy and healthy. Lots of devs have been bitching about this would not be an issue on PC, and how their communities blame them rather than Microsoft or PSN. When you have a dev who is able, but not willing to address balance and community issues, you have UMvC3.

It wouldn't surprise me that if Skullgirls succeeds and a Steam version comes out, you will see the Steam version, and only the Steam version get a complete moves list, a tutorial mode ripped straight out of BlazBlue, and more features added over time while the other two collect dust and their communities bleed out, which is exactly what happened to Monday Night Combat.

PC is the one and only platform in which devs can patch and balance as much and as long as they want to, and as long as there is community demand for it. And this is why I want to mod my Goddamn TE.

Cantido on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    40k USD for a patch or something ridiculous like that if I remember correctly.

edit:beaten. It sure is a shitty policy.

EVOL on
  • Options
    Oh dear, online play is locked in the trial. So unless I comit to a purchase I have no way of knowing whether it will be a lagfest or whether it is as poorly made as every other fighting game (except ssf4 and sc5). Fail, most egregiously.

• Options
    EVOL wrote: »
    40k USD for a patch or something ridiculous like that if I remember correctly.

edit:beaten. It sure is a shitty policy.

It's more than that; it's quite the most stupid thing that I have ever heard. 40k for a patch? I'm sorry but that's too absurd to be real.

• Options
    Oh dear, online play is locked in the trial. So unless I comit to a purchase I have no way of knowing whether it will be a lagfest or whether it is as poorly made as every other fighting game (except ssf4 and sc5). Fail, most egregiously.

Let me get back to you on that today. I'll do tests on both consoles.

• Options

All I've seen is praise for the GGPO system that Skullgirls uses, and I can assure you that online play has worked wonderfully for me on PS3. No idea on Xbox.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »

That's great, however I can't make a decision based on how the game plays on a completely different setup, ISP, infrastructure and part of the world. What might work for you, won't guarantee it will for me. They made a huge mistake with the decision to remove netplay entirely from the trial.

• Options
    Cantido wrote: »

That's great, however I can't make a decision based on how the game plays on a completely different setup, ISP, infrastructure and part of the world. What might work for you, won't guarantee it will for me. They made a huge mistake with the decision to remove netplay entirely from the trial.

This is a big problem for me too. This game being super niche pretty much means that nobody in my country(S.Korea) will be playing it. That would mean that I would have to play with people on the other side of the earth the majority of the time. I need so see if the netcode holds up well enough for the task. Soulcalibur V which is praised for having awesome netcode is pretty much unplayable when I play with someone who doesn't live in Eastern Asia. It's worrying, and the main aspect that's holding me back from a purchase.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I'd also add that I am slightly dissapointed the game does not have a moves list. I would like to write it off that they were too busy making sure their game being delicately balanced took priority (and I firmly believe it should be), but Reverge can't assume that every human being who buys Skullgirls is a l33t Scoops Haggen Daaz fighting game ace who has no problem printing out a moves sheet can checking SRK's links and will be fine from then on.

They get one, and only one freebie patch from Microsoft, and the rest are 40k a pop (yes this is a rule.) What should it be spent on? Balance? Adjusting bugs? Sticking in the moves list and thats it? I say that I'd rather the game be balanced on Day 1and be missing a moves list, then the moves list be there on day 1, people complain "Valentine iz OP", Reverge patches this, people find something else is OP and now Reverge has to beg Konami for 40k.

Cantido on