As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skullgirls - PC release confirmed

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The non-jazz songs in this game sound exactly like DS-vania tracks for better or worse.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsgOvyEAqME

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, Yamane's compositions are always brilliant, but since this is on a console, I'd like to see her use production as nice as that of the jazz songs. I mean, listen to that! That's the same bass in OoE. And now I want to play OoE again. But this is a console release, so these songs should up the instrument productions.

EDIT - Heh, the top comment.
    WHAT IS A SKULLGIRL

A MISERABLE PILE OF SWAGNESS

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    The non-jazz songs in this game sound exactly like DS-vania tracks for better or worse.

There is no "worse". Sounding exactly like a DS-vania track can only be a good thing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgI8ng-JsPc

• Options
    Hhnnng I'm not using the right words here. I guess since this is a console I would like to see her use fancier tools.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Just picked this up and holy shit im having a hard time with this game. If anyone wants to beat the shit out of me they are welcome, though. XBL in sig.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    We must get some matches in, ZH. I'll send you a message next time I'm on XBL. Since you were an Asta player in SCV have you been working on Cerebella? Her grapples and combos are absolutely vicious when strung together correctly. I find my self getting tossed all over the place fighting her since my team is mostly rushdown.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    I successfully opened up my TE-S. Now I just need to wait for the Kitty Board, but I want to make a Parasoul/Peacock artwork for it too.

Anyone know where to get hi-res art of the girls and their respective movie posters?

• Options
    TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    Hey ZH, I'm online and playing now if you want to fight someone just as incompetent.

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
  • Options
    TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    Good games ZH, shame about the connection.

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist
  • Options
    Good games ZH, shame about the connection.

Yeah, it started out not too bad, but it got worse the longer we played.
    We must get some matches in, ZH. I'll send you a message next time I'm on XBL. Since you were an Asta player in SCV have you been working on Cerebella? Her grapples and combos are absolutely vicious when strung together correctly. I find my self getting tossed all over the place fighting her since my team is mostly rushdown.

I decided to start out with the hottest character, so I play painwheel.

Steam
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    My team is Painwheel/Valentine. One thing I'm working on with Painwheel is the use of her 214K flight mode to cancel everything. Her ability to string combos and interrupt her air normals by using the flight mode input really makes a difference but it makes her execution considerably more difficult. There are some good youtube videos demonstrating this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vLAKcyIChw

My studio's main site
  • Options
  • Options
    Zan, those combos look ridiculous. Maybe painwheel is out of my league. I'll mess around with rest of cast tonight.

Parasoul seems fun, so ill start using her next.

Steam
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    That VA fight is hilarious. You can tell they had fun making the game and working together as a team.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Woo, SCV fight stick get. I'll be jumping on Skullgirls-XBL shortly here to test it out if anyone wants to kick my ass.

My studio's main site
  • Options
    Woo, SCV fight stick get. I'll be jumping on Skullgirls-XBL shortly here to test it out if anyone wants to kick my ass.

GGs last night zan. I think my mic was pretty terrible, i was trying to say that air throws do a pretty good job ruining that neutral jump spark shower shenanigans, but I'm not sure if you heard that. I'll try and get another mic.

Steam
  • Options
    Good matches, ZH. You probably noticed me picking up on throwing a bit more towards the end of the fights. I was trying to figure out how you tech out of throws and looked it up after we were done. Apparently there's a very short window to do so and I'm not even sure what input you're supposed to do to break them. It also looks like you can't be thrown if you're crouching and you can't tech while blocking.

As far as fighting your Painwheel, it looks like 2 v 1 really allows for 0 error since that character deals quite a bit of damage and that throw+Death Crawl is a guaranteed 25% 2 v 1. My main character is still Valentine but she takes a lot of work since her combos don't do a ton of damage. I've almost got the execution to her re-launch combos down and landing a green syringe helps since it adds hit stun. I might try switching in or adding Cerebella since her combos and grapples are very damaging.

My studio's main site
  • Options
    I think you tech throws with the throw input. I need to learn some simple combos, maybe one that starts with a low. Nothing that requires a riverdance on the stick.

I'll probably be around tonight if anyone wants to jam

Steam
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    You tech throws with a throw input, but you you can't do it while crouching. So you basically can't be holding down when you input a throw.
    I think you also tech a throw if you input a throw before they throw you. I vaguely remember reading something like that.

• Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    I've not really tried to get into this seriously yet (and not entirely sure if I will or not), but as said you can't tech throws when you're crouching. But yeah, the window to tech them seems very small compared to most fighters, so I'd imagine you won't often successfully do so in your typical online battle even if you tried.

• Options
    So I'm wondering if the tech input/timing works the same for air throws. I'll have to test it next time I'm on.

For simple combos, it seems like the majority of the cast has chains that link from light+medium+hard. I recall Painwheel being able to chain her lights to her medium Punch launcher. Jumping M Kick is a pretty good opener and if you throw it near the top of your jump and then input 214MK, MK you can have two kicks come out. I was trying to do it last night but 214K, HP gets a really low helicopter strike and I think you can get some additional height by using 214K8 HP. 214K followed by anything seems to be a speedy way to open up combos but in the midst of a thick scuffle, you have to be precise.

My studio's main site
  • Options
    I don't even know if teching on response is even a thing. Every tech that happens to me is when I am also trying to throw.

Steam
  • Options
    Ross_CRoss_C Registered User regular
    http://youtu.be/k5KyECTrAkE

This is probably the best of the VA Fights I think.

• Options
    RavidrathRavidrath Designer / Community Manager Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    6965012198_0c464c79f2_z.jpg

• Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yes! I was wondering when we'd see the soundtrack. I love the music of this game. The cover art is also fantastic. (and I wonder why Valentine is missing from the cover... or is she there?)

and for those discussing throw teching, I think it's 3 frames on reactions, and like 8 frames pre-emtively. so if you can predict a throw, it's easy, but hard to react to them.

InXplotch on
    PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    RavidrathRavidrath Designer / Community Manager Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    Skullgirls finally has a confirmed European / Australian release date on PSN - May 2nd, just a week away!

Sorry to have kept you waiting.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    But I want it noooow! D:

Thanks for letting us know, just one more week...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Finished the stories for Cerebella, Peacock, Ms. Fortune, Parasoul, and Valentine last night. That just leaves Double and I'm done. I think the one that gave me the most trouble was Valentine's story despite her being my best character. Her low-moderate damage output plus difficulty hitting form 3 on the final boss was a pain. Overall, I've been pretty impressed by the level of development they've put into these characters and their backgrounds. Maybe I was just thoroughly ruined by Soul Calibur V's story mode, but Skullgirls gives nice, short bits of information that fleshes the cast out well.

I'm also really liking the combo potential of Ms. Fortune and may add her to the lineup. I did like Cerebella but I'm terrible at grappler-style versus rushdown slaphappy tactics. Also, zoning madness with Peacock was good fun too. So many options...

My studio's main site
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Is story mode just 1v1?

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Most characters have to fight Valentine and Double together, otherwise yes.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    God hopefully the wait was worth it.

Well, I'm sure it will but goddamn was it delayed for a long time.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    I moved around my consoles and found XBLA to be more active than PSN. They tell me it's not that Ps3 is more popular for fighting games, but that Xbox Live is more popular for all online gaming period. And yet PSN is still the less laggy experience (yes I tested direct connections to routers with both consoles.)

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Skullgirls sales are at 50k! Congratulations are in order!

• Options
    Skullgirls sales are at 50k! Congratulations are in order!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxX7AFHmOCI

• Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I moved around my consoles and found XBLA to be more active than PSN. They tell me it's not that Ps3 is more popular for fighting games, but that Xbox Live is more popular for all online gaming period. And yet PSN is still the less laggy experience (yes I tested direct connections to routers with both consoles.)

I think the psn version of skullgirls is actually better.... so that's probably why the online is a better experience.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ok I got through every ones story mode on normal, but arcade seems impossible. I swear every team either has peacock and double, or peacock and parasoul. and the computer is in full on Projectile mode.

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • Options
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    MikeZ was a treat to watch. I really like his reset heavy style with Fillia, it's very exciting. And some of the assist set ups he was rocking were just plain nasty.

Pulsr was pretty boring though, one character, just fishing for the same combo the whole match.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    MikeZ was a treat to watch. I really like his reset heavy style with Fillia, it's very exciting. And some of the assist set ups he was rocking were just plain nasty.

Pulsr was pretty boring though, one character, just fishing for the same combo the whole match.

I also noticed the XBLA community does this more than PSN. Must be all that MvC3.

One part of me says I should buy UMvC3 and get it over with, another says I'm going to have a rotten, salty time with it from the moment I try an online match, player or ranked, to the moment I trade it in angrily.

Cantido on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    PC release!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-02-skullgirls-confirmed-for-pc

Goddamn it now I'm torn between PSN or PC.

Well, PC probably won't be anytime soon.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    YES.
    133369421775.gif