As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A pre-made PC for SC2 and WoW, tight budget

summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
So I'm looking to buy a new computer in order to play Starcraft 2 and WoW. Pretty much those two exclusively. And I'm trying to spend as little as possible.

I don't want to build the computer, I want to buy an already built one. I'd also like to keep the budget as low as possible - like $400-500, maybe $600 if there's just no other way. My plan was to buy a tower that could handle it, then buy a new video card and be good to go - but maybe someone else knows a better idea?

Anyway:

a) I want the computer to be already built, but I don't mind having to add a new video card or more RAM or anything like that. But it should otherwise be ready to go. I want to have to upgrade as little as possible.

b) The computer plus whatever I have to add to it has to stick to the budget, and preferably the low end of it. $400 is ideal, $600 is a max, and I'd rather not even get up that high, if possible. Maybe I can't even do it, but we'll see!

c) I'd like to up the graphics as much as I can within the budget. The best I can get without going over.

d) I know very little about computers! So it's helpful if any modifications are relatively simple.

Hoping to make a purchase by the end of the month, but I'm not really experienced in PC gaming, so I thought others might be a little more knowledgeable than me. Is this going to be easy, given my budget?

summeryclept on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you have a monitor, a mouse, a keyboard, or speakers/headphones? Is there any reason you can't build one?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm good on peripherals, yeah.

And I just don't want to build it. Not my thing, I'd rather just buy it.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Does this look decent? Assuming I up the video card?

summeryclept on
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That might be ok specs wise, you may want more RAM. That might just be the idea that there is no such thing as too much RAM.

But I also dont know what kind of requirements SC2 has, I've heard WoW would run on a toaster if you overclock it enough.

If gas isn't a huge deal, you might trying going to your local Best Buy to see if they have anything on clearance first. I got a desktop recently that was marked 125 dollars off just because there was only two left.

Edit: I'm not the most up-to-date on hardware either. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    The best way to do this (like all things) would be patient, wait for a sale. Check woot.com slickdeals.com or whatever else, wait for a sale. There are often bundled compute for much cheaper than you could build, if you don't mind refurbished that is.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Can't tell from that link whether that computer has a PCI Express slot for an upgraded graphics card.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't buy that Lenovo, that Athlon X2 is old tech, and it wasn't particularly impressive back when it was new.

A solid option is to take a look at your nearby brick and mortar retailers for something. Look for at least 2 GB of RAM, 4 if possible. I think you can find an Athlon II based pre-built for around that, but don't quote me. Look for an Athlon II X3 or X4 (triple and quad core respectively) if possible.

I'd recommend the Radeon 5770 or the GTS 450 as far as low-end graphics muscle goes. You're not gonna be playing in full HD with all the prettiness enabled, but it'll be a damn sight better than onboard.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    you could get some part recommendations from the computer build thread, than buy it via http://ncix.com/ and they'll assemble/test the system for you for an extra $50.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Took a look at ncix, found this:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/58462/PT.SE202.026/Acer/

Which I thought looked decent, especially in comparison to what Best Buy was offering for a similar price. My other choice was to nab http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=55373&promoid=1283&vpn=PT.SE002.001&manufacture=Acer and wait on the video card a few weeks.

I was looking at the 5770, probably what I'll end up grabbing.

Oh, here's the system requirements for SC2. I figure if it can run that, it can run WoW.
    PC Minimum System Requirements*:

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
    2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
    128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
    12 GB available HD space
    1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
    DVD-ROM drive
    Broadband Internet connection
    1024X720 minimum display resolution

PC Recommended Specifications:

Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
    Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
    2 GB RAM
    512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses! I'd still like some input though, if anyone has anymore recommendations.

summeryclept on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I'd recommend the Radeon 5770 or the GTS 450 as far as low-end graphics muscle goes. You're not gonna be playing in full HD with all the prettiness enabled...
    Uh yeah he definitely will be. WoW and SCII aren't very demanding games.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Which I thought looked decent, especially in comparison to what Best Buy was offering for a similar price. My other choice was to nab http://www.ncixus.com/products/?sku=55373&promoid=1283&vpn=PT.SE002.001&manufacture=Acer and wait on the video card a few weeks.

Oh, here's the system requirements for SC2. I figure if it can run that, it can run WoW.

Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
    128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
    12 GB available HD space
    DVD-ROM drive

2 GB RAM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the responses! I'd still like some input though, if anyone has anymore recommendations.

just as a note, that system only comes with a 300w power supply, so when you get a new video card your most likely going to need something a little beefier to power it. other than that it's not too bad as far as pre-built systems go.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blizzard games tend to scale pretty well. SC2 just needs a decent processor to handle all the units; there's quite a bit of leeway on the graphics card, since the graphics can be turned down to what looks like War3 quality. A 5770 and a core2duo can run it at max settings, and will only slow down during ridiculously large 4v4 battles

Serious_Scrub on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Foomy wrote: »

12 GB available HD space
    DVD-ROM drive

2 GB RAM

just as a note, that system only comes with a 300w power supply, so when you get a new video card your most likely going to need something a little beefier to power it. other than that it's not too bad as far as pre-built systems go.

Ah. What kind of power supply will I need?

summeryclept on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Foomy wrote: »

12 GB available HD space
    DVD-ROM drive

2 GB RAM

Ah. What kind of power supply will I need?

You'll want at least 450.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    SpyralSpyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ASUS makes a decent pre-built system. Just got my wife onoe for playing WoW. It was a little outside of what you're looking for, but I know they have others within your budget. A couple of my friends have ASUS systems and they play WoW with no issues at all.

Just my 2 cents.

Spyral on
  • Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dell's refurbished computers at outlet.dell.com often has some very reasonable deals on systems. It may take a few days (weeks) of refreshing the page to see something that can take a decent video card, but it's a good place to check if you're thrifty.

Sentret on