As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valentine's Day] is the best/worst

• Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    WMain00 on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only reason we knew today was Valentines day was because my wife remembered the open beta for Rift was on Tuesday the 15th... therefore today was probably the 14th.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gim wrote: »
    Candlelight is the best light.

Every year I tell myself that I'll go out and treat myself to a fancy dinner alone, but I can never force myself to go through with it. Not since I saw that one episode of Frasier.

I wouldn't be surprised if some restaurants outright refused to sit one tops on Valentine's Day for fear that people will flip the fuck out.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only reason we knew today was Valentines day was because my wife remembered the open beta for Rift was on Tuesday the 15th... therefore today was probably the 14th.

Awesome wife.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thankfully my girlfriend and I have come to a consensus years ago that Valentine's Day is pure bullshit.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We're not doing anything. Monday is too damn busy. Unless you count working out in the gym at 9 pm, taking a quick rinse, and sitting the boy down in front of the TV cause girl got a midterm coming up super romantic

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    V-D day is kind of annoying TBQH

The lady and I were going to go out with some friends tonight but then we realized that these people would think we had relationship troubles because we were spending V-D night with our friends in a bar rather then curled up in a shitty candle-lit restaurant getting terribad service because honestly, v-d day is the worst possible day you could imagine to eat out.

Robman on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Robman wrote: »
    V-D day is kind of annoying TBQH

The lady and I were going to go out with some friends tonight but then we realized that these people would think we had relationship troubles because we were spending V-D night with our friends in a bar rather then curled up in a shitty candle-lit restaurant getting terribad service because honestly, v-d day is the worst possible day you could imagine to eat out.

But...do it anyway and don't worry about what they think? Presumably, having a good time with the lady while everyone is around would show that things are fine, as well as future group gatherings.

My celebration with my girlfriend was on saturday, where all of the scheduling fell apart, and the cooking kinda did too. My fucking oven smokes way too much, so after setting off the smoke detector 3 times, we gave up on fully cooking the steak and baking our tomatoes and it was kinda meh.

Still a good night though.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I find it kind of odd that a single day a year is designated to showing your love for someone.

Surely that can be done all year round.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I find it kind of odd that a single day a year is designated to showing your love for someone.

It's a boon for those of us too lazy for that, though.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Loki_HKDLoki_HKD Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's only one thing that comes to my mind on this day...

YES! and thank you for this, god i love this band.

Loki_HKD on
    Photos: Flickr
    XBox: Loki HKD
    PSN: Loki_HKD
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Loki_HKDLoki_HKD Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Loki_HKD on
    Photos: Flickr
    XBox: Loki HKD
    PSN: Loki_HKD
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pixels and I never do much for Valentine's Day, which suits us both just fine. I mean, a little girly princess part of me would love to be woken up my heart-shaped pancakes and surprised throughout the day by a series of seemingly unrelated gifts that eventually culminated in some awesome linking mega-present over dinner, but the reasonable part of me thinks that would be over-the-top and stupid, and the purely practical part of me thinks that if I let him do that for me, I'd have to do something equally extravagant for him, which would a) be a ton of work, and b) lead to both of us trying to one-up the other with our thoughtfulness, resulting in a terrifying Valentine's arms race that could only end in tears.

So, this year, I'm just going to clear all the junk - cat bed, books, stray clothes, empty glasses - off the table in the living room, so we can eat there. I'm going to cook him a nice, simple dinner: I already picked up a gorgeous-looking strip sirloin to grill, and I'll do baked potatoes and corn and drop biscuits to go with it. Then after dinner, I'll show him the bottle of Maker's Mark I bought him, then use some of it to make a bourbon-caramel sauce to drizzle over vanilla ice cream for dessert, accompanied by a plate of the salted chocolate-covered caramels from Dierberg's that he loves.

I have no idea what he has planned for me, if anything. Honestly, a new book would thrill me.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wish me luck. I'm heading to the Godiva Chocolate Boutique in the Suit-mall during lunch time.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

So glad I'm not the only one that thinks this way.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd like to think I have found the perfect way to celebrate Valentine's Day: with me and my girlfriend's one-year anniversary
    Because really, it's pretty hard to pick a day for a relationship, so we just picked VD, which is extremely convenient because there is no way I could forget, and there are ample gift opportunities!

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The OP reminded me how cool postsecret is. Thanks sig.

Also happy Valentine's day, bros and fembros.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got a Valentine!

From a cute girl!

Hand-delivered to me by her fiancée!

As an apology for saying last night that my only valentine would be my hand!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just got a dozen roses from the girlfriend.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This morning, my new-to-driving wife got me the best valentines day present of all; while parking, she ran my side-view mirror into a mailbox.

So I got her the best valentines present I could think of; I'm not making her pay for it.

<3

adytum on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last night Choco and I avoided the Valentine's Day crowds and went out for dinner. I had chicken and shrimp and scallops and mashed potatoes with beef broth and caesar salad, and he had a medium rare steak. It was so good. We even had appetizers and desert and drank ice water out of wine glasses. I felt super classy.

I thought that was all I was doing for him but this morning he gave me a card and some expensive chocolate truffles.

Today I'm meeting him after class and giving him roses and a box of chocolates.

And then tonight we're going out with Pony and his lady. The theatre should be deserted because we're seeing the Fighter, which is not a date movie at all, so it should be fun. We can sit wherever we want!

This has been the best Valentines ever. <3

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just spent $80 for 54 pieces of chocolate at a cost of $1.48 per unit. It would have cost $100 for a little more than half of that in a cute plush heart box.

Stupid holiday...

Deebaser on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Last night Choco and I avoided the Valentine's Day crowds and went out for dinner. I had chicken and shrimp and scallops and mashed potatoes with beef broth and caesar salad, and he had a medium rare steak. It was so good. We even had appetizers and desert and drank ice water out of wine glasses. I felt super classy.

I thought that was all I was doing for him but this morning he gave me a card and some expensive chocolate truffles.

Today I'm meeting him after class and giving him roses and a box of chocolates.

And then tonight we're going out with Pony and his lady. The theatre should be deserted because we're seeing the Fighter, which is not a date movie at all, so it should be fun. We can sit wherever we want!

This has been the best Valentines ever. <3

:^:

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's only one thing that comes to my mind on this day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRP6egIEABk

Best post.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OK, OK, so it's a silly commercial day.

But still, I hope everyone is with a person who puts the paprika in your gumbo.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yes but it is not every day your boy surprises you with an ice cream cake from the local ice cream shop on the day we have to work out

good reward for GETTING BIG RAWR

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    vapid1vapid1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Just gotta give a shout out to all my single black females

Year after year, statistic after statistic, no other female group suffers more from loneliness than them

and a +1 if they got they're real hair, real finger nails, and gettin that education!!!! you kno what it is

vapid1 on
    The Adventures of
    coming soon..
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

If you weren't assaulted with a sword, then anything more than that is just gravy.

As for me and fiancée we rebel against The Man and his Hallmark Holiday. Instead I just get her a flower or other such cheap tokens of endearment at various points throughout the year. Seems a bit more meaningful.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

If you weren't assaulted with a sword, then anything more than that is just gravy.

As for me and fiancée we rebel against The Man and his Hallmark Holiday. Instead I just get her a flower or other such cheap tokens of endearment at various points throughout the year. Seems a bit more meaningful.

I really am easy to please.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    I got a Valentine!

From a cute girl!

Hand-delivered to me by her fiancée!

As an apology for saying last night that my only valentine would be my hand!

Please, please provide the backstory on this. I am dying to know.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My girlfriend went the super, super sappy route and bought me chocolates and a Valentines Build a Bear. One that says I love you when you squeeze its hand.

This is adorable. I think that every man needs one Valentines Day where he gets something like this.

I really wish she was here for March 14th though.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got a hoodie. She got her favorite pair of shoes. We're both making dinner tonight. and playing little big planet.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I found out today this girl I had a thing for is basically not interested in me at all and has a huge crush on someone else.

Feels good man.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I did something stupid cause of love today

I think that's about right

So It Goes on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    lDlzI.jpg

So It Goes on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So It Goes wrote: »

Well don't leave us hanging!

I did nothing especially valentines-y today.

I guess I played Arcana Heart. That has the word heart in the title. There you go.

And then tonight I am going to go do the midnight release of MvC3.

So, a pretty bitching valentine's day, all told.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I bought nexus dinner last night
    and then this afternoon I dressed Talking Jesus in a Ken Doll Prom outfit
    it is p hilarious

I'm not sure, I think that is about as romantic as we get
    we're both pretty terrible

tapeslinger on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »

Well don't leave us hanging!

I did nothing especially valentines-y today.

I guess I played Arcana Heart. That has the word heart in the title. There you go.

And then tonight I am going to go do the midnight release of MvC3.

So, a pretty bitching valentine's day, all told.

no it was like legitimately stupid and not emotionally healthy

my coworkers all liked their SVU tines though

So It Goes on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wore a "light red" (pink) striped shirt and a sportcoat today. then got hit on by some ladies

yep. prit-eee, prit-eee, prit-eee good day

Joolander on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ah, I usually only do legitimately stupid and not emotional healthy things cause of lust. :P

Glad to hear your coworkers enjoyed their cards. :D The SVU ones are pretty good.

Inquisitor on