As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do I want a Wii? and what games?

LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascismRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Since I recently rediscovered my joy of gaming having finished the wonderful Deadly Premonition on my Xbox and playing Dead Space 2 afterwards and feeling a bit meh about it, I am thinking about finally getting a Wii, since it is probably the current gen system that after all these years has the biggest number of unique and quirky titles.

I am looking for stuff that is a bit out of the box or just plain fun.
I would have a huge backlog to go through and am not really sure what hidden Wii gems I have missed.
I also loved the crap out of the original 2 Katamari games and Patapon and Locoroco, so I am up for japanese weirdness.

Also everything Atlus and JRPGs/Strategy RPGs are fine as well, currently playing Unlosing Ranger vs Dark Death Evilman, liked Disgaea, Persona, etc.

Things I know about and wanna get include:

No more Heroes 1 & 2
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Okami
Trauma Center if it's any good
maybe Zelda

Librarian on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Boom Blox!

I've heard he sequel is better but I haven't played it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • RadicalTurnipRadicalTurnip Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Wii tends to be a party console (like Nintendo has been for a while). So, for this, I Recommend Super Smash Brothers. There's a reason it came out a long time ago and is still the same price: it's a great game.

World of Goo (if you haven't played it)
    Some like Kirby's Epic Yarn, but I Found it a bit dull and the narration quite annoying
    If you're into some more of the physical games (and/or exercise games) then Just Dance and Just Dance II are pretty impressive and fantastic.

RadicalTurnip on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Resident Evil 4 on the Wii is the best version of the game, IMO.

Also keep in mind there are lots of great downloadable titles, particularly the BIT.TRIP series.

SteevL on
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also everything Atlus and JRPGs/Strategy RPGs are fine as well, currently playing Unlosing Ranger vs Dark Death Evilman, liked Disgaea, Persona, etc.

There is really not a lot at all in this genre on the Wii as far as I know - you're far, far better off getting a PS2 and/or a PS3 if you need a serious JRPG/Strategy RPG fix on a regular basis.

Anyway:

All the Wii games you listed are pretty good, and I will second the Smash Bros. Brawl/Melee recommendation, especially if you have friends you can play with on a regular basis - awesome series.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • KistraKistra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Opoona and Elebits

Kistra on
    Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • brain operatorbrain operator Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll just add a more negative perspective:

I have a gaming PC. And a PSX/2/3. And an XboX. Even if I'm a fairly casual gamer. And I still do NOT want a Wii. For me it's just a gimmick, and an uninteresting one at that. You can find quirky titles on every system, especially if you look at downloadable options.

So, do you want a Wii? I can't answer that, but if I were you i'd certainly ask myself the question before shelling out money.

brain operator on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The problem with the Wii is that Nintendo was the only company that knew how to develop for the console for the longest time, and everyone else was obsessed with making you wave/shake/masturbate the controller as much as possible in their games. This has changed recently, but it still made the Wii more of a party type system, and less of a serious gaming console. If you're looking for RPGs and first person shooters, you really should get a different console. If party games are your things and you have a bunch of friends who come over and play with you, it's fantastic!

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • dzenithdzenith Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My wii sits without use. I'd get a Kinect and wait for the wii style games to come to the xbox but be way better.

dzenith on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Little King's Story is supposed to be a neat little RPG/Pikmin hybrid. I have it, but haven't even tried it yet. Apparently it gets really difficult.

SteevL on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zack and Wiki <- One of my favourite games on the console. Awesome point and click style adventure, often very overlooked.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch