As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dino guzzling, toxin spewing money pits! What do YOU drive [NSF56k/bicycles]

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    after-market cruise controls always suck, too. I wouldn't recommend trying to get it added.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    But it's a lot less fun when you stop at a light on a hill and some jackass decides he needs to stop .02 inches behind your bumper.

When I was first learning to drive a manual...well...I know what you mean.

Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also: it's their fault if you accidently back into them. That's why you're supposed to maintain proper distance

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I always leave loads of clearance just in case. Seems like a good thing to do.

MKR on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yeah in a rear end situation, insurance companies always hold the rear-ender at fault

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As a rule, we, as insurance companies will fuck you up the ass at every opportunity

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Love my little '09 Impreza to bits, AWD is the just the best

New boss drives a '10 Panamera Turbo, I'm hoping he likes me enough to let me drive it someday

Usagi on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd get a Panamera for the interior alone.

cause that body, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Gotta give it credit in the performance department tho, and the nifty spot they put the Satnav

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have an 06 base model honda accord

I don't like it all.

I liked it less than my 2000 Saturn LS2 and my 1994 Geo Prizm, so that's saying something.

As soon as I can get rid of it, I will. But my damaged credit at the time of purchase ensures that I'll be with this thing for at least another year or two.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually kind of enjoy driving manual, and will do so a lot more when I can properly make the car go forward from a full stop every time.

But it's a lot less fun when you stop at a light on a hill and some jackass decides he needs to stop .02 inches behind your bumper.

Just practice your hill-starts on a quiet (hilly) road.

When you stop, put the handbrake on. Then when you're ready to take off, give it a little revs and ease the clutch out just until you feel/hear the engine loading up against the brake. Then release the brake, feed in a few more revs and ease the clutch out.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I drive an oldsmobile 88. It's pretty ugly but I feel like I'm driving a tank when I'm inside it, which is nice

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Silmaril wrote: »
    As a rule, we, as insurance companies will fuck you up the ass at every opportunity

Well yes... that is what they do.

Insurance industry is one of the few places where I think government regulation needs to happen. Deregulation depends on people being decent to each other... and if there's one thing insurance people aren't, is decent. At least the higher ups.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Don't be stupid.

Only by deregulating every industry/service entirely will we allow the free market to truly flourish, and provide every human being with everything they could ever need at maximum quality and the lowest possible price.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I... sense you are mocking me (Deanna Troi Aura)

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yep. I read a Time magazine for the first time in about 10-12 years on Friday, and the republican midichlorian count is through the fucking roof in that rag.

I don't remember it being that bad pre-Bush v2.0...

The cover story was basically 'Obama wants to suck Reagans dick', immediately following that was a half-dozen page spread about why Reagan was, is, and will always be the world's greatest politician and financial strategist.

It's got me in a bit of a flap.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I actually kind of enjoy driving manual, and will do so a lot more when I can properly make the car go forward from a full stop every time.

When you stop, put the handbrake on. Then when you're ready to take off, give it a little revs and ease the clutch out just until you feel/hear the engine loading up against the brake. Then release the brake, feed in a few more revs and ease the clutch out.

I have a bad handbrake for this though. It's next to the steering wheel but recessed, so I have to lean forward to grab it, and fully extended it locks into place in some weird way where you are supposed to twist it to lock into place but this doesn't always work. Once it is locked it's locked, but it's just a bizarre design that would be awkward to use while driving.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I have a bad handbrake for this though. It's next to the steering wheel but recessed, so I have to lean forward to grab it, and fully extended it locks into place in some weird way where you are supposed to twist it to lock into place but this doesn't always work. Once it is locked it's locked, but it's just a bizarre design that would be awkward to use while driving.

he's not even american, don't listen to him

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Stale wrote: »

Oh god I could start driving on the wrong side of the road any minute!

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    After watching the Expendables last night, the urge to buy an old 55 F100 and hot-rod it out is strong.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Some old Australian cars used to have shitty handbrakes like that. You just have to get used to using it.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I didn't get to use no handbrake when doing the hill start thing.

Just use the break, clutch and first gear. When you've eased the clutch enough for the engine to pull slightly without gas, ease off the break (If you start rolling backwards you need to press the break down again and ease off the clutch some more) and start applying gas while easing off the clutch.
    I hate driving cars I don't know because knowing where that magic clutch position is can be hard if it's not a car you're used to. Usually you will hear the engine make different sounds though.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Some old Australian cars used to have shitty handbrakes like that. You just have to get used to using it.

red white and blue gravity works differently. You just have to wildly over-rev and smoke-em.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also I reaaaallllyyyyy want a new car for the next winter.

Yay the insides sometimes get covered in ice requiring me to scrape off the ice both on the outside and the inside. Yay sometimes the gas pedal is frozen into place and I need to violently step on it wasting gas. Yay sometimes the car just shuts itself off while in motion. Yay shifting into third and first can be a bitch. Yay to all this shit.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Just use the break, clutch and first gear. When you've eased the clutch enough for the engine to pull slightly without gas, ease off the break (If you start rolling backwards you need to press the break down again and ease off the clutch some more) and start applying gas while easing off the clutch.
    I hate driving cars I don't know because knowing where that magic clutch position is can be hard if it's not a car you're used to. Usually you will hear the engine make different sounds though.

See you can do that in a modern car because if your car has EFI it will (probably) also have a little device on the throttle body that will try to stop the car from stalling.

Older cars don't.

So doing that on a steeper hill just results in stalling.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah I'm still learning that magic clutch position and it's a pain. It seems like 90% of the clutch action is just useless space and whoops now the engine is off on a green light. Once it's off though, goddamn, that clutch better be pressed to the floor like a lover or the engine isn't going to give me the time of day when the key is turned.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Who the fuck uses a handbrake for an uphill start in a manual?

Lazy bastards who shouldn't be driving manuals...that's who.

Learn to actually drive the car. Be able to shift without looking at the revs. Get good enough to actually work the clutch, break AND gas in collaboration with each other.

Don't use the handbrake.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

See you can do that in a modern car because if your car has EFI it will (probably) also have a little device on the throttle body that will try to stop the car from stalling.

Older cars don't.

So doing that on a steeper hill just results in stalling.

Well you can also just really quickly start giving gas and ease off the clutch... If you're quick.

I'm in a country where you don't use handbrakes for four months because they might freeze.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Learn to actually drive the car. Be able to shift without looking at the revs. Get good enough to actually work the clutch, break AND gas in collaboration with each other.

Don't use the handbrake.

When I drove a manual, I never used the handbrake.

In fact I had disconnected it once when I was doing some suspension work on my truck and forgot to re-connect it.... for 2 months.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Your engine is pretty good about telling you when to shift. I still glance at the dash every time to be sure I'm at 2500 before shifting, but it seems like it'll be a really easy habit to build to keep from having to look at all.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Don't use the handbrake.

When I drove a manual, I never used the handbrake.

In fact I had disconnected it once when I was doing some suspension work on my truck and forgot to re-connect it.... for 2 months.

When you never, do you mean not even when at a junction waiting to turn for a while, or at traffic lights/roundabout?

Liiya on
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    handbrakes in roundabouts?

Liiya, have you become .... xtreme?

Arang on
    thenews.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Why would I do such a thing? Thats what the brake pedal is for.

And dear, we don't have round-a-bouts in the states. Especially not back in Illinois. Hell we barely had stop signs.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There might as well not be stop signs here. No one uses them.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I ain't got no rev counter, I ain't need no rev counter.

Going from the driving schools BMW with all the fucking security and hi-tech shit of modern cars (ABS break, Traction control, a screen that would tell you what gear you should use, automatic wipers, basically all kinds of shit) to a car without any of that shit was fun as hell.

Great, thanks for teaching me to drive on ice with a car that doesn't require more or less any amount of thinking. One driving school used an old mazda for this very reason.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Driving a manual on ice sounds kind of like a nightmare.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Pretty much only use the handbrake if I wanna leave the car running on idle for a while to warm it up or something.
    Because that's the only way to keep it from rolling away away.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    No no I'm not saying I put the handbreak on while going around the roundabout, I mean when I'm waiting for a gap to jump into it.

Well you're still alive Stale, so it obviously didn't land you in any danger!

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Lowest gear possible and just keep it rolling slowly but steadily. If you're going downhill, low gear, in neutral, clutch all the way down and apply the breaks carefully.

Liiya on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

You're pretty much required to learn how to drive manual in this country.

I think you can get a license for automatic cars only, but there are very few driving schools that do this. I have never driven an automatic, probably never will. I like having control.

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I drive a 2001 Camry. It's a nice car. Would be nicer if someone hadn't smashed into it while it was parked a few months back and drove off without leaving any insurance information, but you know. It still drives.

I kind of want to go to an auto body place to get a quote on getting it fixed by professionals, but I'm dreading the cost.

Moriveth on