As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fox/adult Disney animation] Krapopolis is apparently appropriately named

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I'm of the mind that the Futurama movies and Comedy Central seasons all suffered from them not being as censored as the Fox run. A lot of good jokes came from them using comedy to get around censoring stuff but because the censorship bar was raised with the movies/CC seasons then they just let that stuff through. A few "hey we're not censored anymore" jokes are okay but when there's as many as there were a majority of them fall flat and it just gets tired. I haven't watched the latest season of American Dad yet but I hear it's going through something similar, but I'd need to watch to know for sure.

Secondarily, Futurama fell into the Simpsons trap of trying to be topical with stuff like the EyePhone, Susan Boil, etc. These sorts of shows by their nature just cannot be topical and when they try it falls flat because it's a 6 month old reference at best.

Aside to all that though, I just watched the Adventure Time episode Everything's Jake which has like half of the characters voiced by Futurama voice actors. My wife didn't notice at first but once I pointed it out she marvelled over how she didn't notice.

This season of American Dad is magical

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    That was probably one of the best non-Futurama related Simpson episodes I've seen in a while.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    skeldare wrote: »
    That was probably one of the best non-Futurama related Simpson episodes I've seen in a while.

I never would have guessed in a million years that the preview they set up for the previous episode would end up being an actual episode.

I fell for this gag way back during the Treehouse of Horror that ended with Homer and Burns sharing a body.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Honestly?

I thought it was one of the worst episodes I seen in a long time. It felt like another "Jumping the shark" moment.

I do recognize that's just me being a old crotchety 32 year old and the Simpsons no longer being what I want out of the show though.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    In the episode where they literally make the crotchety cynical comments( wait it isnt halloween!) about their situation that we make in parallel to the plot for the episode. It was very, very weird. Some gags almost made it feel like they were doing a clip show. potato chips in space and (I didnt get this far yet, did they make a 'to serve man joke' that they already hit in a THoH episode?).

I otherwise support them running off in strange directions, because, fuck, what else do they have left?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Honestly?

I thought it was one of the worst episodes I seen in a long time. It felt like another "Jumping the shark" moment.

I do recognize that's just me being a old crotchety 32 year old and the Simpsons no longer being what I want out of the show though.

I'm the guy who keeps insisting that the last few seasons (on the whole) have gotten much better, but yeah, I hated this one. Mean-spirited, broad meta comments, recycled gags, etc. It felt like the Family Guy crew took over.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    This season hasn't been very good, but I do agree that the past few seasons had me enjoying the show much more and seemed to be going in quality.

EDIT: In an more positive side, Bob Burger's continues to be the workhorse of Sunday night. It's the heir apparent of King of the Hill.

Just a consistently good to great show with characters I enjoy.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that thinks after seeing the credits of last nights Simpsons, that They could get another 10 years of me watching it if they simply went back and spoofed every Original Star Trek episode? That last shot of Burns alienized was great!

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I thought last night's Simpsons was terrific and I applaud more wacky episodes in this vein.

They've literally squeezed every last drop of everything else in a "grounded" format. Creating "Futurama-Lite" scenarios is totally fine with me.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that thinks after seeing the credits of last nights Simpsons, that They could get another 10 years of me watching it if they simply went back and spoofed every Original Star Trek episode? That last shot of Burns alienized was great!

They did, it was called Futurama.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Nono...i dont mean make it a space based simpsons. I mean you take the stories, draw the characters as they were in the ending credits with homer as kirk, marge as ohura ....keep the scripts more or less the same with simpsons humor thrown in. I'd watch it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    I thought last night's Simpsons was terrific and I applaud more wacky episodes in this vein.

They've literally squeezed every last drop of everything else in a "grounded" format. Creating "Futurama-Lite" scenarios is totally fine with me.

Be careful what you wish for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omp0xQKmIhY

• Options
    Not quite the same.

That's them attempting to insert a wacky thing into a normal situation. And failing spectacularly.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    also this:
    url_zps08bf6cc5.jpg

It's got Scottie, Spock and Deanna Troi.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I hated the episode. Haaaaaated it.

Was going to write long scree about it, but Avclub's got me covered.
    Am I making too much of this? Not when the episode throws in the gag where Dizzneeland patrons in a misting station overstay their time and are dissolved in acid (only their souvenir hats survive for resale). And not when the dangerous “The Let Go Loop” rollercoaster simply releases its screaming patrons to their deaths at the end of every ride. (Marge’s understated objection to boarding, “I don’t like the end-sounds on that” is humorously in-character, however.) And not when the Simpsons’ adventures on Rigel 7 involve the family reacting to their predicament—they’re to be eaten in a Rigelian sacrifice—with a lack of both urgency and differentiated personality. (Plus, unremarked at the end of the episode, a significant portion of Homer’s butt is still digesting in the Rigelian queen’s… stomach, I guess?) Jean and Mirkin may have been seeking to mimic the less rule-bound world of Futurama—itself a dubious proposition—but they just succeed in making a lousy Futurama episode. Further, they do violence to their own show in the process.

Pointing out how weird the episode is, the many references to better Simpson episodes, and the way every character acts pretty much the same through the entire episode is just the tip of the iceberg to me.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

remember when "Simpsons did it" was a thing?
    it's no longer a thing:
    kiff_zps86cf43ac.jpg

ok, i think i'm done.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited January 2015
    Bob's Burgers got renewed for a 6th season. I'm not sure if it's a true "22 more episodes are being produced" or a matter of there being enough episodes already being produced/in the can from all the scheduling preemptions for there to be a new season no matter what, but still good news.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I just put that episode of The Simpsons into the pile of episodes I consider non-canon.

Some fevered dream of a fan fiction writer.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Obligatory "ah, the two-digit-season pile" joke.

• Options
    Bob's Burgers got renewed for a 6th season. I'm not sure if it's a true "22 more episodes are being produced" or a matter of there being enough episodes already being produced/in the can from all the scheduling preemptions for there to be a new season no matter what, but still good news.

I desperately need some peace of mind that Bob's Burgers will have a large and healthy lifespan, at least as long as King of the Hill.

If FOX won't commit, and I'm certain they won't, maybe consider TBS or Adult Swim or somebody else.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Introducing my two year to king of the hill because mom is not home.
    It's the episode where Bobby thinks his dad makes $1,000 a day and buys a jet ski.
    I love the line "we aren't selling the jetski to that jackass" - King of the Hill is such a great slice of life show.

• Options
    I thought it was a pretty darn good Simpson's. Nice to have them branch out.

King of the Hill is absolutely one of the greatest television shows ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Episode of the simpsons written by judd apatow coming up. let's see where this goes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    That was a good episode, IMO.

After the ending they put up an animation of Maggie holding a "Je Suis Charlie" flag, which I thought was cool.

• Options
    Yeah, that turned out really well even if the premise seemed awful on paper. Then again it's nearly impossible to judge the show's episodes based on the premise -- so many awful-sounding ones turn out great, so many good-sounding ones turn out bad.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    So last Sunday the Simpsons used a plot from an episode of rugrats.

I think we've crossed some sort if event horizon

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    So last Sunday the Simpsons used a plot from an episode of rugrats.

I think we've crossed some sort if event horizon

To be fair that plot was written before Rugrats existed.

• Options
    So this weeks Simpsons

used a contemporary cultural figure

and somehow managed to be good?

whaaat

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    That was pretty awesome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    It was only great until the ending

and then the ending

• Options
    Is this the first time they've actually referred to Smithers as gay?

I know that sounds weird, but they've spent years and years making jokes without actually using the G word (minus that one "staying in the closet" joke).

• Options
    I was about to ask the same thing.

Cause yeah he was pretty much out in this episode.

• Options
    I think I remember an episode from looooooong ago when he goes to an obviously gay resort.

• Options
    Yes, there's always been nods varrying in subtlety, but I don't remember anytime being as outright blatant as it was this weekend.

Not saying it was bad, just something that jumped out at me.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I haven't seen the episode yet but they've been preeeeeety blatant about it before now. Like the episode where Homer rooms with the gay couple or the episode where Smithers and Moe make a gay bar.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I haven't seen the episode yet but they've been preeeeeety blatant about it before now. Like the episode where Homer rooms with the gay couple or the episode where Smithers and Moe make a gay bar.

They've been really blatant about strongly implying that Smithers is gay, but I believe this is the first time they've come out and said it.

• Options
    Yeah, the whole running joke with Smithers has been to make it as blatantly obvious as possible without directly spelling it out.

This latest episode spelled it out, with pretty much everyone else in town being aware of it. It's like Smithers being written like a modern gay character, which makes me wonder if this is an approach they're taking from now on.

• Options
    But of course Burns is still completely oblivious.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA