As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Announcing National Announcement Service, Ltd

• Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Word on the street was intel and razor might be involved to some degree.
    Can't link, quote, w/e =P

anyways, yes the production value will make or break it as the only way this can be sustainable is by having others who aren't IN THE KNOW take it seriously.

20,000 viewers aren't anywhere near good enough to sustain a $500K investment by any half-witted company

ed: 20K daily? maybe... but the demographic is nowhere near there yet

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scrap Station is fairly balanced for Zerg statistically. It's PvT that is out of whack on that map.

edit: Pretty much the same for foreign statistics, too.

Keep in mind that these are statistics over sc2's lifetime. Things that have changed since beta:

1) Stargate play is now a threat in PvZ, making muta play risky (which is arguably the reason why the map has traditionally been zerg favored).

2) Protoss and terran have evolved from 1-/2-base all-ins into more defensive macro-centric styles focused on building and preserving an unstoppable army. As a result, zerg needs relatively safe thirds, fourths, and sometimes fifths (of which scrap does not have any) to stay competitive whereas protoss and terran only need their thirds.

Of course, the metagame might shift again. For example, I expect more offensive ling/baneling styles to come into prominence in the next few months as the non-Machine/Idra American zergs, TLO, and July (among others) get their time in the spotlight. But for now, the macro-centric zerg style ultimately suffers on the map.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Eh?

Scrap Station has plenty of safe 3rds for zerg.

The most obvious third basically forces them to attack across a wide open field, which generally favors zerg armies.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Agreed on all counts.

There's an NASL Q&A thread on TL. Some good info in there.
    Also I'd like to add a comment about our stream.

Note: the quality of GSL's high quality paid stream is 650 kb/sec .

Our free stream is going to be at 800 kb/sec, our paid stream will be 3 megabit / sec. We're offering much better stream quality than any other tournament can give you!

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Eh?

Scrap Station has plenty of safe 3rds for zerg.

The most obvious third basically forces them to attack across a wide open field, which generally favors zerg armies.

The engagement area in the middle doesn't cause problems. The fact that the respective third locations are so close (literally 2-3 tank sieges away) is what causes the problem since you may not be able to reinforce your third in time after an engagement to save it. The other possible thirds save for the island suffer from the same difficulty because the only way to reach them is through the obvious third choke point.

Of course, this hinges on protoss and terran getting their third. But in the current metagame this is not an unexpected occurrence (versus how things were several months ago).

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I finally won my first 1v1 game after losing 4 in a row. My opponent was an awful Terran, but a win is a win.

I wish there was an option to be "replaced" in terms of matchmaking ranking if your account does not do a ladder match in X months. It's a pain learning the game again while Diamond ranked T_T

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i hate when they give out a speed as indication of quality

i only get 8-900k a sec download speed, but i can have several streams open (sometimes 4), like justin.tv ones which are crystal clear i can read every number on them, but goms 650k is absolute trash

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kambing wrote: »
    i dont think theres a way someone could unhype me for nasl

The production quality will be equal to or worse than that of the showmatch.
    Jk. Hope they sort all of that out before the first season, though. I really do expect the quality to meet or exceed that of the GSL stream/broadcasts.

I think to hope that it even meets (much less surpass) GSL's production quality is extremely optimistic. Like, I can believe that they can get their streaming sorted out and maybe offer a higher quality stream (in terms of image quality), but to hope that they can match the production value of GOM is unrealistic. It's a couple of guys with a lot of heart for this thing, but no experience/technical know how, backed by money. I'm sure it will surpass GOM's production quality, given time, but it's not going to start out that great. To clarify, I'm mostly talking about GOM's studio/player booths/professional casters/scheduling(it's a lot harder to run programming like this seamlessly than you would think, you gotta have players ready, technical shit in order, casters that can fill in the gaps, etc.) I am sure they will do a great job starting out, and I'm sure that I will enjoy, but I am not expecting GOM level production quality here.

Personally, the only thing that upsets me is the partnership with Justin.tv. A partnership with a company like that is good...I just don't like Justin b/c it lags horribly for me...no matter what I'm watching. No problems streaming video from anywhere else so wtf?

Maratastik on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's like when MLG had the colours all fucked up so they tried to fix it by doubling the bitrate. :rotate:

815165 on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I entertained the thought of following wakkawa on twitter. Then I realized that my twitter account was basically my real identity...and felt very uncomfortable.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Olorin wrote: »
    Kambing wrote: »
    i dont think theres a way someone could unhype me for nasl

The production quality will be equal to or worse than that of the showmatch.
    Jk. Hope they sort all of that out before the first season, though. I really do expect the quality to meet or exceed that of the GSL stream/broadcasts.

I think to hope that it even meets (much less surpass) GSL's production quality is extremely optimistic. Like, I can believe that they can get their streaming sorted out and maybe offer a higher quality stream (in terms of image quality), but to hope that they can match the production value of GOM is unrealistic. It's a couple of guys with a lot of heart for this thing, but no experience/technical know how, backed by money. I'm sure it will surpass GOM's production quality, given time, but it's not going to start out that great. To clarify, I'm mostly talking about GOM's studio/player booths/professional casters/scheduling(it's a lot harder to run programming like this seamlessly than you would think, you gotta have players ready, technical shit in order, casters that can fill in the gaps, etc.) I am sure they will do a great job starting out, and I'm sure that I will enjoy, but I am not expecting GOM level production quality here.

Personally, the only thing that upsets me is the partnership with Justin.tv. A partnership with a company like that is good...I just don't like Justin b/c it lags horribly for me...no matter what I'm watching. No problems streaming video from anywhere else so wtf?

Well when I think of production quality, I'm thinking strictly of stream production values. I would liken it to the screddit invitational or tlopen. You don't need a stage and booths to put on a high-quality production, but you do need to impress on your stream that you are providing a complete, professional experience, e.g., designers on staff to produce professional-looking overlays and transitions. Those sorts of things are the minimum bar for me, especially when other folk with less resources have met and exceeded that bar already.

Kambing on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    incontrol's streaming

he's mostly responding to chat questions about nasl

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    xeris is involved with this?

well at least the tournament will go smoothly

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of which!

Much as I like iNcontrol, he and Gretorp were pretty average casters. Obviously not bad, but they sounded a little uncomfortable / inexperienced.

But hell who am I kidding, an American league with a huge prize pool run and cast by iNcontrol... I'm sure it'll be awesome.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

iceburn.gif

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I only just found out Day9 will be at PAXEast which I am going to.

I cannot word how excited I am. That is awesome.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

iceburn.gif

if theres one man that can handle a 1000 man open tournament

its motherfucking xeris

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hahahah, oh Geoff.

"A lot of these questions? You can ask yourself in the mirror and the answer should be pretty obvious."

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    someone has to link me totalbiscuit doom and glooming the nasl

i really want to read that

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    also moletrap is apparently going to korea to become a gsl caster

im assuming alongside kelly

should be interesting!

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm getting the impression that this is iNcontroL going off on hear-say again and stirring shit up.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Apparently it was in an interview on SCReddit tonight. Hunting for the video now.

Edit: I believe this is it. Skip to 10ish minutes for the interview.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm getting the impression that this is iNcontroL going off on hear-say again and stirring shit up.

Starting drama and then saying "Yeah I don't even KNOW why they're so angry at me" is pretty much a hobby for the guy.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So SOTG starting....and it's a video stream now????

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So SOTG starting....and it's a video stream now????

that's jp's sportscenter type of show that he puts up on youtube

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    but this is the SOTG stream...right???

Maratastik on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    but this is the SOTG stream...right???

yes, but jp streams the recording of this live on this stream too

the sotg will come on after hes done recording this im sure

its only like an 8 minute long show

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ohhhhh....now I get it...:rotate:

Maratastik on
  • Options
    TotalBiscuitTotalBiscuit Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Thou cannot read what does not exist.

But you can listen to the interview he's managed to misconstrue by mistaking chinese whispers for actual research :)

TotalBiscuit on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

But you can listen to the interview he's managed to misconstrue by mistaking chinese whispers for actual research :)

Sounds good!

darned chinese whispers

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    BeefersBeefers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pardon me for asking, but what stream is SotG on? Don't see anything screaming out to me and I am poor poor detective.

Beefers on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Beefers wrote: »
    Pardon me for asking, but what stream is SotG on? Don't see anything screaming out to me and I am poor poor detective.

it will be on this stream

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Here's the link to the TotalBiscuit interview again, just in case you missed it in my edit: http://www.justin.tv/screddit/b/280193163. Interview starts around 9:30ish, comments on NASL start at 31:15.

Edit: tl;dr: TB hopes it grows E-sports, can't say whether it will or not. Was disappointed with the quality of the showmatch, and doesn't think amateurish production values will legitamize e-sports. So basically, Incontrol be trollin'!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Sounds good!

darned chinese whispers
    Yeah, I just listened to it. He doesn't say anything negative about the NASL, and is just cautiously optimistic. The only things he criticises are the production issues of the showmatch, which anyone with a brain would agree with (and he says that the NASL will be better in this regard). He also says that if it fails it would set back e-sports, which again is fairly self-evident.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yes i just listened to the interview as well

i am very sorry for propagating said lies about you TB :(

glad you support NASL!

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TotalBiscuit interview:

16:45 They start talking about the iNcontroL/TotalBiscuit drama

31:20 The topic of NASL is brought up

33:00 TotalBiscuit specifically comments on it.

Summation: it is a good thing! It's good to have a huge prize pool like that, it's good that money is being invested, it's good that it's in an offline LAN environment, and it's good that it will be on at times that are watchable for USA and Euro folks (instead of being on at fuckoff o'clock like GSL).

He thinks it will help to grow the scene.

The only thing I can see being construed as "bashing" is him saying that he's not sure it will be THE breakthrough moment for eSports. He hopes it will be, he wants it to be, but he doesn't think it will.

So yeah people are stupid. He 100% supports it, he just doesn't think it's the singular thing that will break eSports through to the masses.

Oh he also said that he didn't think the showmatch inspired confidence in eSports because the production values were too hyped up for a match that was SO hyped up. But so does everyone else, it was not well produced. Doesn't think the showmatch will dissuade people from eSports, but it didn't help because of the poor production.

So yeah. No drama, people are just being dumb again.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok, so now iNcontroL is contradicting Xeris by saying that the NASL is going to be pre-recorded. That's not inspiring.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Ok, so now iNcontroL is contradicting Xeris by saying that the NASL is going to be pre-recorded. That's not inspiring.

why is that not inspiring? it allows them to make sure its not shitty

like, they can account for players having lag and stuff, geoff said it will all be recorded one day early, put through graphics, etc

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Plus it prevents cheating. And really, what is the difference between a live-cast and a live-cast that is recorded and played a day later?

Evangir on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's not inspiring that Xeris is in the Q&A thread literally saying that it will be live (ed: he even said there would be a stream delay to prevent cheating), and iNcontroL is saying the opposite.

His Corkiness on