As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trying to remember a game.

EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So i've recently remembered a game I played years ago, but can't remember the name and so can't beging to find it.

I've no idea if it was an actual boardgame or just that I just played it on a computer but here goes:

It was played on a chess/checkers board.
2 players.
Each player takes turns placing a circular disk piece onto any square.
Once a piece is placed on a square, that square belongs to whoever placed it.
Then, you keep filling your square up to 5.
As soon as a square has 5 pieces 4 are moved to the surrounding squares in a cross pattern.
Eventually, as the board fills up, an 'exploding' square can lead to a chain reaction colouring many squares into your/your opponent's colour even if they were the opposite.
Obviously the goal is to make your opponent run out of peices.

Help! I'd really like to play this again!

Thanks in advance.

Euphoriac on

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like Reversi to me.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Descendant X is right. Reversi is what I know it as, since playing it on the Intellivision. It's also known as Go, or on the Gameboy I think it was called Spot: The Video Game, based on the 7-Up mascot Cool Spot.

Kuroi Ookami on
    3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reversi and Go don't have any stacking of pieces on a single space.

This game sounds vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure what it might be.

Edit: There's splay, but given that it was just created for a competition, it's not that.

There's also plateau and breakthrough which are older, but still not it I think.

Daenris on
  • Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for the help so far but yeah, none of those match.

Closest I've found is CHAOS but the board is all wrong and it's 4 pieces instead of 5.

Edit: although 4 makes sense. The four spread out, leaving nothing in the middle so it can be reclaimed... gah i'll never find it at this rate :(

Euphoriac on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Descendant X is right. Reversi is what I know it as, since playing it on the Intellivision. It's also known as Go, or on the Gameboy I think it was called Spot: The Video Game, based on the 7-Up mascot Cool Spot.

Both reversi/othello and go are excellent games but very different, and if you imagine them as the same, then you have given neither a fair try.

There are computer versions of both available for free. Do yourself a favor and give them a shot =)

Xaviar on