As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Chat] Santa Went Crazy

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »
    "defenders of the feminism faith?" herp derp

a guy's sense of privilege/"masculinity" taking a hit is never a reason to stop anything

If a woman decided she didn't want to interact with a man in that context, would you say that her concerns are unfounded? Switch the genders.

yes.

come on cass, you're smarter than this. I know you can smell the gaze all over his response.

what does "smell the gaze" even mean?

and many men and women have issues with close physical contact with strangers of the opposite gender that they don't have with members of their gender. it doesn't have shit to do with "privilege" or generally even the "sense of masculinity"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaze#The_Male_Gaze_and_feminist_theory

Organichu on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    South host wrote: »
    I have 149 Orks, and 24 more unassembled.

I should like...play some Warhammer or something.

I assume you mean 40k because they're Orks and not Orcs? What type? You could probably make a Green Tide Apocalypse army!

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

No playing warhammer until you've painted every single one of those orks.

Starcross on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Daxon wrote: »
    Sure, but afaik string theory is all maths with no evidence backing it up so far.

Until there's some evidence your idea of the nature of the universe being thoughts (of a God-figure of some sort?) is roughly equivalent to some other awful, unsubstantiated idea.
    There is no hard evidence, but there are very good hints that it's on the right track.

See: the holographic principle.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm willing to bet that if she's a champion high school wrestler she's not all that worried about some dude grabbing her tits in a match. I don't see sexual assault charges being a huge possibility in her case.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone who fetishizes female sexuality and form shouldn't really be complaining about the gaze.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Noct! you're back...

How were the windows?

Oh, let's just say they've been did

Also I'm good! How about yourself?

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm willing to bet that if she's a champion high school wrestler she's not all that worried about some dude grabbing her tits in a match. I don't see sexual assault charges being a huge possibility in her case.

The girl is probably okay with it.

But the guy isn't, and his uncomfortableness should be valued just as much as a lady's

• Options
    edited February 2011
    ah- she doesn't need to be worried about it for it to make him uncomfortable

Organichu on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

You've missed the point.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Sure, but afaik string theory is all maths with no evidence backing it up so far.

Until there's some evidence your idea of the nature of the universe being thoughts (of a God-figure of some sort?) is roughly equivalent to some other awful, unsubstantiated idea.
    There is no hard evidence, but there are very good hints that it's on the right track.

Eh, kind of. AFAIK it's still an open question as to whether or not string theory makes any testable predictions at all. If it isn't falsifiable then by definition everything equally does and doesn't support it.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    well hello chat

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I never said he was at fault, I agree that he did what he thought was right and more power to him for it. His rights are equally important. I think I misread Fluffy's post about it being sexual assault and chimed off of that.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Sorry, I try to create perceptions of the universe based on factual evidence.

I do however know there are multiple problems with gravity as it's currently explained and there are especially problems because quantum gravity hasn't been unified into the overarching explanation of gravity.

Besides, let's be entirely honest. Who's thoughts would the universe be? What would they exist in? Would existence just be a series of infinite Russian dolls?

Cause that's both silly thinking, and entirely unhelpful.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also Noct I'm good...

doing things on the internet, trying to make monie(s)

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Senjutsu wrote: »

Eh, kind of. AFAIK it's still an open question as to whether or not string theory makes any testable predictions at all. If it isn't falsifiable then by definition everything equally does and doesn't support it.

Wouldn't that make it a tautology of sorts?

I'm taking Logic this semester and it's made conversations like this more interesting in a meta-sense.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    granted, even in competition shape i'm way bigger than that kid- but i almost certainly wouldn't competitively grapple a girl my weight

Organichu on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I think the package I was supposed to receive in the mail was intercepted and the contents were stolen and/or swapped out.

Is this something that actually happens?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    granted, even in competition shape i'm weigh bigger than that kid- but i almost certainly wouldn't competitively grapple a girl my weight

That's just because you know that she would kick your ass

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So I think the package I was supposed to receive in the mail was intercepted and the contents were stolen and/or swapped out.

It happened to some webcomic guy at a con recently. He shipped two boxes of books to the con, and got both of the boxes. One of them had half a blender inside instead of his books.

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i'm weigh bigger than that kid

best typo

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was talking to Pony about this in the context of the UFC, I said that instead of just having a women's division they should just put the women in with the men.

He said something something biology men have denser muscle mass so you can't draw an equivalency something something

Which bummed me out because I would enjoy seeing ladies in the UFC

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

There's a reason you can insure these things.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Nocturne wrote: »
    i'm weigh bigger than that kid

best typo

yeah i startd drinking early

Organichu on
  • Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I assume you mean 40k because they're Orks and not Orcs? What type? You could probably make a Green Tide Apocalypse army!

I just did a count

52 Shootas
    46 Sluggas
    4 Burnas
    7 Big Shootas
    2 Rokkit Launchas
    10 Stormboys
    10 Lootas
    17 Nobs (7 power klaw, 4 big choppa, 1 combi-scorcha, 5 slugga+choppa)
    1 Warboss

33 of the shootas are painted, 26 of the sluggas, and 9 of the stormboys, and some various ones have some paint on them. Oh, and 3 deffkoptas and a trukk.

I also have 2 deff dreads, 2 trukks, a battlewagon, and a looted Leman Russ that needs painting.

South host on
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You do know that assault charges don't have to be a matter pressed by the alleged victim in public like that right? If enough crazies -decided- she was being assaulted they could at the very least make the kid's life hell for a few days.

Not saying that's likely. But hey.

Ludious on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »

There's a reason you can insure these things.

It was insured.

But it was a hoodie and a framed picture of Vancouver Canucks jerseys.

Also, some antibiotics.

Like, really?

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    well hello chat

GET BACK IN THE CAGE

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

No. A tautology is a statement whose predicate is derived from the antecedents. In other words "John is a bachelor, therefore John is an unmarried man," is a tautology because 'unmarried man' follows from 'bachelor.'

This is often an uninformative statement, and therefore unhelpful. Whether or not tautologies are always uninformative (or unhelpful) is kind of an open debate in epistemology. (I think the dominant viewpoint is that they're not necessarily uninformative.)

An unverifiable statement may or may not be a tautology. For instance, the following statement is not a tautology but it is unverifiable: "I have a pet unicorn, but he is telepathic and will disappear leaving no trace any time you intend to prove his existence."

This is also unhelpful.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So, after last night's/this mornings discussion on nerds and red heads, I find it necessary to report I've discovered a hot red head model with tattoos. Including Trill spots. God love the internet.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I was talking to Pony about this in the context of the UFC, I said that instead of just having a women's division they should just put the women in with the men.

He said something something biology men have denser muscle mass so you can't draw an equivalency something something

See I don't get this.

Yes, the worlds strongest man will more than likely be able to lift more than the worlds strongest woman, the worlds best boxer will hit harder than the worlds best female boxer, but wouldn't she be faster, making it a situation like a heavyweight man fighting a welterweight man with a more solid punch, which has been proven to be disastrous for heavyweights in the past when it's been done?

amateurhour on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It takes a certain mindset to fight a woman professionally. I don't think many men would be in support of such a joining.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    eddy did you find a badge

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Feral wrote: »

No. A tautology is a statement whose predicate is derived from the antecedents. In other words "John is a bachelor, therefore John is an unmarried man," is a tautology because 'unmarried man' follows from 'bachelor.'

This is often an uninformative statement, and therefore unhelpful. Whether or not tautologies are always uninformative (or unhelpful) is kind of an open debate in epistemology.

An unverifiable statement may or may not be a tautology. For instance, the following statement is not a tautology but it is unverifiable: "I have a pet unicorn, but he is telepathic and will disappear leaving no trace any time you intend to prove his existence."

This is also unhelpful.

Ahh true that. Something not being falsifiable is not the same as it being impossible to be false.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It takes a certain mindset to fight a woman professionally. I don't think many men would be in support of such a joining.

Honestly it would make me feel uncomfortable to see a dude knock a chick out in UFC, especially if it kept happening. Like what if men are just better fighters and the women never win? Should we keep letting them try?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What chu you talking bout

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Eddy wrote: »
    What chu you talking bout

i thought badges sold out before you got yours, for pax

did you find one

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Honestly it would make me feel uncomfortable to see a dude knock a chick out in UFC, especially if it kept happening. Like what if men are just better fighters and the women never win? Should we keep letting them try?

This is the best quote ever. This is a sig worthy quote

amateurhour on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just got back from talking with the assistant of the professor whose program at DU I am hoping to get in. Was a lot of fun, the program sounds awesome though I am going to be super broke doing it. Also she was cute, serious hipster chick. Shame she has a boyfriend.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Good night, chat. I must go bed now

Daxon on
This discussion has been closed.