As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Amazing Race 18 And Also Survivor 22

1235»

• Options
    DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Aistan wrote: »
    That was a pretty terrible final tribal council. Makes sense though, for a sub-par season in general.

I really hope they don't do redemption island again, it was all a big waste of time.
    TOO BAD, it's coming back.

When I heard of the Redemption Island concept, I thought it had the chance to really shake up the game.

Now that I've seen it in action, no fucking way. The only excuse for it is to use it only until the Merge. When Matt re-entered the first time, he had a chance to really change the game up, but he was too stupid and got blindsided again.

But post-Merge RI was a total waste of time. Though I guess Andrea could have shaken the game up too, but Rob's army of zombies weren't going for it.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The casting for this entire season was a waste, outside of Andrea. Who is awesome and would have had a great shot to win in a season without returning players. Plus she's hot. And one of the best female athletes they've ever cast.

And yeah, RI was a terrible, terrible thing. Removed reward challenges, which is where shake ups are easiest to happen due to the separation of the players. Rob's buddy system never works in a normal season. Uggggh.

And we get the inherently absurd 2 returning players, 16 newbies set up again. Though I suspect they won't be throwing anyone quite so accomplished into the mix. It'll be like... Coach and Phillip.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    How could those people not realise that leaving Rob in the game any length of time was going to be a bad thing? It baffles me.

I wonder, though, if it would have turned out differently had been anyone but Russell been the other returning player. It was such a good cop/bad cop thing that Rob's tribe was just so grateful they had him and not Russell that they became complacent.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Because Rob makes it in their interest to keep him. Note how all five of his allies were convinced they were going to FTC with Rob and someone else. Natalie and Phillip accurately believed it. Ashley thought she was going with Rob and Natalie. Grant thought he was going with Rob and Phillip. Andrea believed it was her and I suspect Phillip, but we never got the confessional before she was booted, because the editing sucked.

Rob understands motivations and small scale manipulation about as well as anyone that's ever played.

EDIT: Andrea thought it was the two of them and Grant. Honorable competitors apparently. Which was silly of her, but oh well.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes, but that's my point: how did they not know that Rob was fully capable of lying to them? I mean props to him for getting them to believe him, but they should have recognised the threat he posed.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well he is, by all accounts, incredibly fucking charismatic in person.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So season 23. I'll have to watch the teaser some more but my guess is that they will be going for a lord of the flies situation with very young contestants and the two returning players will most likely be Matt and someone else wholesome to serve as camp counselors.

I didn't see anything but arms and legs in the teaser but they all look like they could have belonged to 18-20 year olds.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    That's probably because it was their challenge testers who are uniformly college students. Haven't started filming yet.

The common assumptions are either the continuing story of Matt and Andrea's love that wasn't/masters of RI or Coach/Phillip's ticket to crazytown.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I have a bad feeling we're going to see Phillip again.

But seriously, no way any tribe lets him last more than week.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
  • Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only person who thinks Jeff looked a little odd tonight in the live portion? Maybe it was the lights but he looked weird around the eyes (drinking?) and a little pale.

Foolproof on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Phillip is definitely coming back. Which is sad.

Andrea (I have a crush on her) is the one I'd most like to see back, Matt the least.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'd love to see Mike back. He was one of the few guys this season who seemed like he could legitimately play the game, but he had no chance with the Ometepe takeover.

Sadly, he's not enough of a personality, so I'll probably never see him again.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Eh, he's about fifth or sixth? Phillip is #1 obviously. Next two are Matt and Andrea in some order (hot athletic girls with brains are almost always invited back). After that? Not a stunning group. Probst loves David because David loves him some Rob. Then it's Mike and some people think Ashley is attractive so I guess her.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm hoping they don't bring back Matt. Props to him for lasting on RI for so long, but I can't take another season of him telling me how god has chosen him and "Yay, God!" It's ridiculous.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Disappointing season overall.

I kept watching every episode hoping that something would go down, somebody would take a chance, or someone would see the light and realize Rob was playing them all.

The closest thing I got to that was Ashley winning those 2 immunities near the end.

There just weren't any surprises.

If there was any speculation that the producers influenced the survivors during the game, it's been shot to hell because this was the most boring season ever.

I like the Redemption Island twist. I wish they weren't bringing back 2 veterans again, though. It's a dynamic that makes the game pretty stale. The tribe that gets the "good" veteran will let them stay, and the tribe that gets the "bad" one will cut their own throats to get rid of them.

Congrats to Rob for playing the Puppetmaster. I've always thought he was a dick, and apparently Grant has realized it as well.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Those had to be the two of the worst Opening Statements I've ever heard by people trying to win jury votes.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Haha, I know.

Basically they both admitted up front that they let Rob do all the work and they rode his coat tails.

I was REALLY REALLY hoping that Phillip would get to Final Tribal Council and reveal that he had been trolling the game the whole time. That being a crazy asshole that no one would give a million dollars to was his strategy to get into the final three.

The other survivors still probably wouldn't have gotten it and voted for Rob anyway, but I wanted it to happen so very badly.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Judge wrote: »
    Those had to be the two of the worst Opening Statements I've ever heard by people trying to win jury votes.

Exactly. It all translated into, "Rob controlled this game, we were just passengers."

I somewhat expected better from Phillip. There had been glimpses in interview sections that he was not as crazy as he appeared, and that it was an act. I thought there was going to be some epic revealing going on...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I was REALLY REALLY hoping that Phillip would get to Final Tribal Council and reveal that he had been trolling the game the whole time. That being a crazy asshole that no one would give a million dollars to was his strategy to get into the final three.

I held out hope on this, figuring he had to keep it going until the Final Three . . . and then he got there and kept going with the great-great grandfather thing in private 1-on-1s with the camera and I realized that, no, there is no silver lining. There is no grand plan. He's that socially inept.

Oh well.

The Judge on
    Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    In the aftershow, Phillip didn't look real happy to be there. I'm sure all of the contestants would say the editing of the show made things seem different than they really were, but Phillip's behavior in the aftershow really didn't reflect the crazy. Yes, he rambled on, but nothing like 1 on 1's during the show.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    At least someone who actually did stuff won the series this time. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Eh, three of the last four winners have played brilliant games. The only failures in the last 10 seasons have been Todd, Bob, and Jud. That's a pretty good success rate.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't forgiven this beautiful show for Natalie winning yet.

815165 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Natalie played an outstanding game of Survivor. She correctly identified that Russell could never win on day 8 or 9 and played to his ego.

Then when he was lost and didn't know what the fuck to do, she engineered the key boot that split the other tribe for the rest of the game. She made the play at 12 that won that game for her tribe.

It's a social game, which Russell never understood and that's why he's the worst player to ever play the game. Brought as a goat to FTC TWICE. An impressive accomplishment.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Also apparently manipulating young women seems to be a recurring strategy. :)

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    atat23atat23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's a social game, which Russell never understood and that's why he's the worst player to ever play the game. Brought as a goat to FTC TWICE. An impressive accomplishment.

worst? no, some of his plays were some of the best in survivor history, he just wasn't as tactful as he should have been when it came to some of the deals he was striking. He was unlucky with the tribe he got stuck with as well, if he had of got robs group it would have been a lot more interesting.

I haven't even watched the final yet, now that I know the result I may not bother. I thought Rob would suffer the same fate as Russel did in Samoa and loose it to Natalie being that she was the lesser of two evils, it's just a pity she was such a non character and didn't have the personality to pull it off.

Haha, I know.

The other survivors still probably wouldn't have gotten it and voted for Rob anyway, but I wanted it to happen so very badly.

Sad this didn't happen actually but he went off on Zapetara too much for it to have actually worked.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Haha, I know.

atat23 wrote:
    Sad this didn't happen actually but he went off on Zapetara too much for it to have actually worked.

If he hadn't gotten into the racial thing with Steve, and been less crazy at FTC, he probably could have pulled it off.

I wonder if part of the contestant selection process includes an interview and questions about what strategies the person would use while playing. Surely the producers give more thought to building tribes than just random drawing.

I'd really love to see someone come in and troll Survivor.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    worst? no, some of his plays were some of the best in survivor history

Name one. He found a bunch of idols, played them, and if we're being generous, convinced a crazy person to join them. That's not particularly impressive. Then he got lucky when Tyson was an idiot and rode Parvati to the end.

But beyond that, he can never win a game of Survivor, therefore he is the worst player of all-time.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    worst? no, some of his plays were some of the best in survivor history

Name one.

The fact he won player of the season the two times he got to the finals speak for themselves.

atat23 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Player of the season is a function of editing. James won it twice.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Now you're starting on James, no pleasing some people :P

atat23 on
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The Amazing Race Australia started on Monday night here on TV. I love the Amazing Race. My parents applied to be on the show and got through a couple of stages but ultimately didn't get chosen. I think there are going to be some funny shit this season. Already love the Cowboys, hope they kick ass. And I hate the entrepreneur couple and the team with the douchebag bro (even though his girlfriend is really nice and attractive).

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So it was actually good? I missed it, and half suspected it'd be terrible like our version of survivor was all those years ago.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png