As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car trouble.

XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey, so I've got a '97 sonoma.

It has a shitty battery in it, so I have to jump or charge it occasionally, as I live in northern minnesota.

Last time I drove it, it started just fine, and ran fine. Parked it in the garage.

Didn't drive it for two days, went to start it. Didn't start. It tried, and it tried hard. Didn't sound like the battery was weak or dead, (as I said, I have experience with that..) but I hooked it up to the charger anyway.

Came back, tried again, still nothing. That's the extent of my bright ideas, and I'd kind of like for it to work.

Anybody offer any helpful advice? Please?
I would super-appreciate it.

Xaviar on

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anything happen at all when you turn the key on or to ACC? Do your lights and things come on when you turn the knob? Or is it all dead?
    I couldn't discern whether or not that's the case by your post.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh I'm sorry, I should've been more clear.
    All the accessories turn on. Headlights work. Dash lights work. Engine cranks. Doesn't start.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Do you hear the start solenoid engaging?

What you can do is grab a heavy wrench and bang on your starter, if it's not too inconvenient. In some of my cars you just have to move a few things away from the top, and then bang away at the starter solenoid. This is, of course, assuming you don't have some sort of goofy set up where your solenoid isn't attached the fender wall or something goofy where it's easily accessible.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I can hear the solenoid go. Gave it a good couple hits anyway, but it didn't do much =(

Xaviar on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you hear the start solenoid engaging?

What you can do is grab a heavy wrench and bang on your starter, if it's not too inconvenient. In some of my cars you just have to move a few things away from the top, and then bang away at the starter solenoid. This is, of course, assuming you don't have some sort of goofy set up where your solenoid isn't attached the fender wall or something goofy where it's easily accessible.

He just said the engine cranks, so it's not the solenoid. Probably something in the ignition system, I'd check your plug wires and the ECU.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    pacbowlpacbowl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    An easy way to tell if you're getting spark is to pull one of your plug wires, stick a good sized screwdriver in it and hold the shaft of the screwdriver near something metal on the engine or frame. Have someone crank it a few times and if you see spark, you're getting electricity.

You can also buy a can of starter fluid and give a few squirts into your intake so see if it's a fuel line issue.

pacbowl on
    steammicro.php?id=pacbowl&pngimg=background&tborder=0
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you smell gas? if so, it's probably a spark issue, see above to see if there's a spark. Be careful not to get shocked.

It hasn't been too cold here, so I don't think anything would have frozen up.

No spark could be a number of things. No gas is usually a relay or fuel pump (sometimes an ECU).

badpoet on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually, based on age and my experience with GMC/Chevs, ya, it's probably the fuel pump.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Totally missed the part where he said the engine cranks :P

Yeah, next step is figuring out if you're getting spark.
    The easiest way that I've always checked is quite different than pacbowl's, wherein you pull the wire and the plug out, and set the plug on the engine or on the side, whichever is more convenient, and then have someone turn it over.
    You can also do a quick visual check if there's fuel squirting into the engine by taking a peek (once you move the sparkplug out of the way, and unplug it from the wire). You can also take a quick whiff after your buddy steps away from the car and smell if there's gas in the chamber, while you have it open.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well I can smell gas after trying to start it, if that helps..

I'll have to try messing with the spark plugs tomorrow. I was hoping to avoid that, as the one is a PAIN in the ass to get to.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When was the last time you replaced your air cleaner element?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    A long time. I'll look at that today too.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    nethneth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    does your clock reset when you try and start it?
    did you try having someone jump the car?

just because you had it hooked up to a charger doesn't mean it can hold enough of one to provide the voltage needed to start it. If the acc work but reset every time you turn the key, and it starts right up when you have someone jump it with another car, I would say it's simply your battery.

neth on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xaviar wrote: »
    A long time. I'll look at that today too.

Do you replace your air cleaner, fuel filter and spark plugs at the same time? Because if so, I'm willing to bet you want to throw a new set of plugs in her. Especially considering how you opined that you dislike accessing the sparkplugs, that's ringing warning bells in my head.

Donovan Puppyfucker on