As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

User account permissions in Windows XP

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been using a single account with administrative privileges on my laptop for some time, and it's been the only account I have. I recently created a limited account for my girlfriend since her laptop isn't working right now, so she can use the internet without needing me to log in every time.

However, while going into her account after setting it up (she hasn't actually used it yet; I went in to make it was working properly), I've noticed that she has access to several programs that I don't want her to have access to, such as Thunderbird, Tweetdeck, etc. Is there a way to remove permissions from certain programs from a user account in Windows XP Professional, including removing them from even being visible to her account? I don't just want them give an error if she tries to use them, but to simply not be there at all on her account.

Dalboz on

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dalboz wrote: »
    I've been using a single account with administrative privileges on my laptop for some time, and it's been the only account I have. I recently created a limited account for my girlfriend since her laptop isn't working right now, so she can use the internet without needing me to log in every time.

However, while going into her account after setting it up (she hasn't actually used it yet; I went in to make it was working properly), I've noticed that she has access to several programs that I don't want her to have access to, such as Thunderbird, Tweetdeck, etc. Is there a way to remove permissions from certain programs from a user account in Windows XP Professional, including removing them from even being visible to her account? I don't just want them give an error if she tries to use them, but to simply not be there at all on her account.

You can remove the icons from the All User's desktop and start menu folders and only paste them into your profile's desktop and start menu folders. Of course, that won't prevent her from running them by directly accessing the program files executables.

Ruckus on