As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary Thread - Landmark of the Greatest Gaming Series

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just watched the new trailer today, because I had been trying to avoid it.

I went from "eh, it probably won't be very good" to "I MUST PLAY THIS" preeetty quickly.

But it still probably won't be very good. Must have low expectations.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Main theme spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP2pR62Nl8s

Yep, the main theme is still Zelda's Lullaby in reverse.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Has there been any talk of ... swordfighting ON THE BIRDS?

Because it was purty damn fun to swordfight on Epona. But then it seems the birds are controlled by tilting the Wiimote.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh... that guy at 47 seconds in, does he look vaguely familiar to anyone else? It's not obvious, but just enough to get me wondering.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Huh... that guy at 47 seconds in, does he look vaguely familiar to anyone else? It's not obvious, but just enough to get me wondering.

He looks a lot like the first sage in OoT.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

He looks a lot like the first sage in OoT.

It is indeed Rauru, the Sage of Light:
    Rauru_Artwork.png

Qingu on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    NOOOOOO NINTENDO WHAT DID YOU DOOOOO

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/15/zelda_arashi_pamphlet/

Hope that stays in the Japanese version.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't see, what does it say?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Some members of a JPop group are on the cover of OoT3D's fold out game manual.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Japanese instruction manual of OoT3D is not a booklet, but a huge fold out. It looks hideous.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I can't see, what does it say?

The manual is fold-out, which I agree is really stupid.

Edit: Go go server is too busy BS....

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yea, hopefully no fold out book. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What a great way to ruin a manual. Just include the picture of a totally unrelated dude on the cover and another that has nothing to do with Zelda on the back.

Good thing we're not in Japan.

RockinX on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Those dudes aren't on the manual. That's a retail pamphlet. The article is about two separate things.

Fold-out manual would be great if it had a map on one side. But they could just include a map in addition to a regular manual.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I have no problem with either thing and think the reaction is hilarious.

I'm not saying I love it, I just have no problem with it. Imagine the absurdity of getting a copy of Zelda that has Lindsay Lohan or Simon Pegg on it. I mean, what?!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    At least Linsdsey Lohan looks vaguely like Princess Zelda. Also vaguely like Link.

Qingu on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So apparently the free version of 4-swords we're getting on the 3DS is actually the GBA version of LttP, and not Four Swords Adventure like what was originally said.

I weep.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did someone post this earlier? I never saw it until now.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/free-dsiware-four-swords-is-the-gba-version/
    Last week during E3, Nintendo generously announced a free release of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords for DSiWare, playable on both DSi/XL and 3DS. The company didn't clarify, however, whether the game would be the original Four Swords multiplayer game that was packed in with A Link to the Past on GameBoy Advance, the GameCube Four Swords Adventures, or some combination of both.

Nintendo confirmed to Joystiq today that the game will in fact be the GBA multiplayer game that was included with LTTP. Clarifying further, we were told "This is separate from the GameCube version," though it's still unclear what updates, if any, will be made to the DSiWare version of Four Swords -- we'd be shocked not to see some redone graphics, and how about some online multiplayer for good measure? It remains to be seen.

The free download will be here in September, according to Nintendo's E3 presentation.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wait, zelda games come with manuals?

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah, I saw that this morning Sporky. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I never played the Gamecube Four Swords, but loved the GBA Four Swords. What's the consensus on the "superior" game?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Joystiq is shrooming if they think Nintendo is going to do shit to upgrade Four Swords, especially the graphics!

Online *maybe*, but probably unlikely. And excuse me while I laugh my ass off at the "upgraded graphics" speculation.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Those dudes aren't on the manual. That's a retail pamphlet. The article is about two separate things.

Fold-out manual would be great if it had a map on one side. But they could just include a map in addition to a regular manual.

My bad. I thought they were the same. I was too disgusted to read the whole thing.
    Did someone post this earlier? I never saw it until now.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/14/free-dsiware-four-swords-is-the-gba-version/
    Last week during E3, Nintendo generously announced a free release of The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords for DSiWare, playable on both DSi/XL and 3DS. The company didn't clarify, however, whether the game would be the original Four Swords multiplayer game that was packed in with A Link to the Past on GameBoy Advance, the GameCube Four Swords Adventures, or some combination of both.

Nintendo confirmed to Joystiq today that the game will in fact be the GBA multiplayer game that was included with LTTP. Clarifying further, we were told "This is separate from the GameCube version," though it's still unclear what updates, if any, will be made to the DSiWare version of Four Swords -- we'd be shocked not to see some redone graphics, and how about some online multiplayer for good measure? It remains to be seen.

The free download will be here in September, according to Nintendo's E3 presentation.

Not surprising since it's free, but still really good. I never had anyone with whom to play the GBA Four Swords. I hope it can be played online.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It would be criminal to release the GC Four Swords for free. It's like dropping a pipe bomb into a crowded subway. That game has the potential to destroy so many close friendships and marriages...

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    The Cube game is way better, no question. If I remember right the GBA game was just a multiplayer add-on. Four areas that were like one Zelda dungeon in size each, something like that. I haven't played the Cube game but I know it's got the content to justify its standalone existence.

But I also hope for some sort of bonus to be added to the one we get - full 3DS resolution, a new area, something like that.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh yeah, I saw that this morning Sporky. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I never played the Gamecube Four Swords, but loved the GBA Four Swords. What's the consensus on the "superior" game?

FS (Four Swords)
    The game does not have a single player mode, so it is required that one player plays with at least one other player, who must also own their own copy of the game.
    It has 4 smaller levels and has a lot more competition going on.

FSA (Four Swords Adventure)
    Could be played solo, and was a full length game. A little light on the puzzles, but a lot more action. It had 24 levels. It was a lot more co-operative, as you needed to rely on your partners using their items to help you progress (think portal 2).

edit: maps

FS
    map.jpg

FSA
    Fsabirdseyelw1.jpg

Kor on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FSA is probably the better game, if only because the extra power allowed for some impressive stuff like dozens of enemies on screen at the same time. The bosses are impressive too. There were also some really cool puzzle sections like the dungeon with the rotating block thingy. The orignal FS had its share of moments too, but I remember the sky stage being a pain in the arse. So many slipups.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I never played the original, but FSA was pretty fun. Probably would have been more fun if I actually had someone else to play it with though :(

I actually do hope they implement online for this new one, but I'm not holding my breath. Especially with Nintendo :)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Did FS actually have any good substance to it? I've played FSA, but not FS. I've always been told it's like comparing Metroid Prime Hunters: First Hunt, to the actual game.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Four Swords is a better game with better design (and better graphics, to be honest) but there's not much content. It's barely long enough to justify its own existence, even considering it's a free extra.

I would much prefer the original FS if they just added more content. It works better with two players than FSA does, because the dungeons are different depending on how many players there are. I really don't like controlling multiple Links in FSA, it's so annoying.

Adventures is more worthwhile because it has so much more content that it's crazy. You can look at the numbers and say, well, FS has four dungeons and FSA has eight. But each dungeon in FSA is preceded by two overworld sections, and each is longer than the levels in FS.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It was a pretty long time ago, but I remember I enjoyed it a lot during a school bus trip. It wasn't a particularly long game, but we had a few days of good fun with it, probably because we kept screwing with each other to get the most rupees. Considering it was a bonus game that came with ALttP, it was a pretty damn good deal. SE ports their Final Fantasies without adding much of anything.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Kor wrote: »
    So apparently the free version of 4-swords we're getting on the 3DS is actually the GBA version of LttP, and not Four Swords Adventure like what was originally said.

I weep.

I don't. I'm literally the only person in my group that plays Zelda, so I was never able to enjoy 4SA on the GBA. This will be my first chance to ever play it.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Now I wonder if we're getting a full port of the GBA LttP, or if it's just the FS bonus adventure.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Now I wonder if we're getting a full port of the GBA LttP, or if it's just the FS bonus adventure.

No doubt it's just FS.

RockinX on
  • Options
    ZierathZierath Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

There is absolutely no way they would give it away for free if it were GBA LttP in full.

Zierath on
    Pokémon White FC : 0475 7056 7793
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just beat Link's Awakening. It wasn't that difficult but there were some parts that I just had to go online and look up what to do next. I swear the older the Zelda games are the more vague the suggestions on what to do next are. I just can't imagine how people used to it. At least this one had the telephone guy to point you in the right direction most of the time.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Out of curiosity, what parts did you have trouble with?

A lot of people are probably so used to the game it seems easy, I just wondered if it was something where persistence would've shown you what to do eventually or if it really was very obscure.

I think the more obscure parts are the required trading game and the use of the library. I imagine a lot of people assume the library is just a tutorial room and don't even check all the books, or forget about that one mysterious one...

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I thought the Eagle's tower was famous for confusing people. Also, I doubt you had to go online to find what to do next. Those telephone huts are pretty good at giving you direction.

Kor on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It surprised me how necessary the dungeon owls were to progress, considering
    one tells you to kill enemies in a room in a specific order, and another tells you to do something you probably wouldn't assume to do at Turtle Rock.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Adventures is more worthwhile because it has so much more content that it's crazy. You can look at the numbers and say, well, FS has four dungeons and FSA has eight. But each dungeon in FSA is preceded by two overworld sections, and each is longer than the levels in FS.

Except that FSA isn't exactly dungeon based like other Zelda games, it has a strict linear level structure. It's pretty different from every other game in the series and I'd love to see a new one.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINUfbLV_0M

GAF's response:
    Ganonwilliams.jpg

My response:
    pexmA.png

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.