As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary Thread - Landmark of the Greatest Gaming Series

• Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Is LA on the Wii Virtual Console?

Qingu on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Qingu wrote: »
    Is LA on the Wii Virtual Console?

No portable games on the Wii VC. It's only on the 3DS VC.

It's not in 3D or anything but if you hold select and start as you launch the game, it shows it in its native resolution with a slightly 3D Gameboy Color framing it, which is neat. I think the battery light even works.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Something I've been thinking about since the Wii U got announced, from Zelda Informer:
    With The Legend of Zelda finally delivering a true motion control game with Skyward Sword, one has to wonder how the Wii U, with its large touch screen controller, is going to impact the future of the series. Back when Wii MotionPlus was first associated with the series, it sounded as though Nintendo was hoping for it to become the new standard for Zelda control. Honestly, after my hands-on time with the game, I absolutely agree - MotionPlus and Zelda go together like Link and his sword.

So what about that new controller? It doesn't sound as though Nintendo's interested in casting it aside any time soon, so it's sure to play a role in the future of the series. Will it replace MotionPlus as the Zelda standard on Wii U? Or does Nintendo have something else in mind? I have no idea, really, but based on my experience with Wii U at E3, one idea in particular stands out...

Two words: Cooperative. Multiplayer.

Think about it. Most of the Wii U demos from Nintendo - the real demos, mind you - used a combination of Wii Remotes and the Wii U tablet to deliver a varied, multi-layered, multiplayer experience. Usually the demos focused on the competitive element - ship vs. shooters, hider vs. seekers - but certainly the second screen could make cooperative play more feasible in a core console Zelda title than ever before. One player could make use of Wii MotionPlus on the big screen, while the second player takes command on the Wii U tablet. This could incorporate the new controller while still keeping the MotionPlus framework set by Skyward Sword intact.

The big question would be how to create a gameplay scenario that fits into this kind of setup. Having a second Link wouldn't necessarily be too far-fetched, especially given that the idea's already taken hold in the Four Swords games, but somehow I can't see that idea working out too well given that the two controllers have wildly different capabilities. I think a completely different second player character is a lot more likely. It'd be a heck of a lot more engaging and immersive than Four Swords, where the variety of cooperative play was limited to the single-item your character was holding at the time.

Who could the second player be, though? Obviously Princess Zelda comes to mind. The touch screen on the controller would be a perfect setup to quickly select from a wide array of her magic abilities in order to fight enemies, solve puzzles, and aid Link in battle. Separating the two characters onto two different screens means that you could have all the excellent 3D worlds of the recent console titles plus a massive amount of freedom for both players. Of course, the series isn't just limited to Link and Zelda - the second player could be anybody, from another classic fan favorite to a completely new character with whatever kind of moveset Nintendo can dream up.

This kind of two controller, two character set up could extend beyond just cooperative multiplayer - it could even offer a more varied single-player experience. Each of the characters could have a separate solo story mode, or perhaps the game could hide secret content that you need to use one character or the other to discover or unlock so you can 100% your file. Really, the hardware is an open book - Nintendo can mix and match the two styles in whatever way they wish, or use just one while ignoring the other. But I've got to say, the two-player controller combination idea just seems right to me. We'll see, I guess!

Some other possibilities:

• Two distinct modes of gameplay, like Zelda II or Actraiser. The Wii U controls action on the "overworld" and if you actually want to fight or explore dungeons you'll need to switch to the Wiimote-and-chuck. Exploring the overworld would be more casual/laid-back and thus you could do it on the couch on the Wii U screen.

• Putting all the navigation—maps, compasses, enemy info—in the hands of the Wii U player. He or she would need to actually tell the Link player what to do, where to go, etc. This "navigation" gameplay could take place in a kind of overlaid alternate dimension, and creatures there could distract the Wii U player or feed the Wii U player false information to feed to the Link player in the "real" world. Basically this player would take on the role of Navi, but without being totally lame.

Qingu on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm thinking, at least in terms of zelda, that the new controller could be used for inventory management, map display, etc.. while you use the wii-mote to actually control the character (sword slashing, etc..).

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My concern is that I wouldn't want to constantly switch back and forth from the Wiimote/chuck to the Wii U during the game.

Qingu on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Wind Waker already had that. Player two could use a GBA link cable to control Tingle on the GBA screen, and drop bombs down to the ground and stuff.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Wind Waker already had that. Player two could use a GBA link cable to control Tingle on the GBA screen, and drop bombs down on Link and stuff.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You could set the tablet in your lap, or next to you while playing. You wouldn't have to switch back and forth, just lean in and press the button with your finger.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    You could set the tablet in your lap, or next to you while playing. You wouldn't have to switch back and forth, just lean in and press the button with your finger.

Yeah, or maybe there is even a stand that allows you to set it up on a coffee table or something.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Iwata Asks with the people who made Ocarina of Time.

On the origin of Z-targeting, surely one of the greatest inventions in human history:
    Osawa: As we went along looking at everything, it was so hot that we ducked into a playhouse to cool off. They were doing a ninja show. A number of ninja were surrounding the main samurai and one lashed out with a kusarigama (sickle-and-chain). The lead samurai caught it with his left arm, the chain stretched tight, and the ninja moved in a circle around him.

Iwata: And…that led to Z-targeting?

Osawa: Yeah…I think so, if my memory serves me correctly.

Iwata: So it wasn't like the chain led to the idea for the Hookshot?

Osawa: No.

Aonuma: Huh? Everyone looks confused! (laughs)

Everyone: (laughs)

Koizumi: I don't think that's quite right. (laughs) The way I remember it…

Iwata: Yes? (laughs)

Koizumi: With regard to Z-targeting, I believe we started talking about how we wanted a good way of hitting opponents in front of you when we were making Super Mario 64.

Iwata: But you couldn't do it.

Koizumi: Right. Then, when we were making The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I thought up something when we were making the camera system for fighting enemies. What caught my attention in the studio park was the sword fight. They regularly put on shows in which the hero defeats ruffians. Watching that, I thought, "Hmm, that's weird." That was because there was no way one person could fight and win when surrounded by 20 opponents.

Iwata: Because he's vastly outnumbered.

Koizumi: I thought there must be some kind of trick, so I watched very closely, and it was simple. It's a sword battle, so there's a script and a certain setup. The enemies don't all attack at once. First, one attacks while the others wait. When the first guy goes down, the next one steps in, and so on.

Iwata: It's blocked out so they attack one-by-one, in order.

Koizumi: Right. One thing I had been trying to figure out with regard to Z-targeting was how to fight multiple enemies. If I just made it like normal, the enemies would swarm the player all at once, so it would be a mess.

Iwata: Yeah.

Koizumi: Watching that show at the studio park was a clue toward solving that problem. Z-targeting flags one particular opponent, telling the other enemies to wait.

Iwata: Your opponents go on standby as in a staged sword fight.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Z-targeting....one of Nintendo's best creations in 3D gaming. :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It makes me wonder how many awesome videogame concepts American game companies would have came up with if only our country had random playhouses with ninja vs. samurai show battles...

Qingu on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What I need is a sense of adventure. I felt TP was missing that. It wasn't compelling for me. Not like WW where I was exploring the great unknown. Or MM where I had to watch the moon fall. Or OoT where it was the first realization of that type of world in 3d, and watching gannon chase after Zelda when she throws the ocarina is intense, made you feel you HAD to rescue her. Then you made it to 7 years later and can see all of the death and destruction.

I think this is what my desire is.

In TP, emotional moments notwithstanding, I never felt like I was out of control of the situation or that I didn't know exactly how to handle things. While continuity in design is wonderful and necessary, I hope Skyward Sword throws some intense curveballs. I want to fight for my life while solving a puzzle I've never seen before. Something that happens and, after I survive it, I just have to take a break and say, "Well that was different."

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What I need is a sense of adventure. I felt TP was missing that. It wasn't compelling for me. Not like WW where I was exploring the great unknown. Or MM where I had to watch the moon fall. Or OoT where it was the first realization of that type of world in 3d, and watching gannon chase after Zelda when she throws the ocarina is intense, made you feel you HAD to rescue her. Then you made it to 7 years later and can see all of the death and destruction.

I think this is what my desire is.

In TP, emotional moments notwithstanding, I never felt like I was out of control of the situation or that I didn't know exactly how to handle things. While continuity in design is wonderful and necessary, I hope Skyward Sword throws some intense curveballs. I want to fight for my life while solving a puzzle I've never seen before. Something that happens and, after I survive it, I just have to take a break and say, "Well that was different."

I played the game in Japanese first (and it was the first dialogue-heavy/RPG I played in Japanese first), and it was nice not to be hinted every time I found a new place. I could understand a bit, but I had to resort to Babelfish to help me understand what the game wanted me to do near the end of the game.

RockinX on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    What's up with this supposed early access / prerelease thing going on on Saturday? It seems really disorganized. Very few gamestops are even hosting one, and the ones that are hosting them are telling me that they're not allowed to sell the game before Sunday. It's very strange, I'm getting a lot of conflicting information about this. Some websites are saying you can definitely buy the game at that time, but some websites are telling me I can't. Anyone know the truth?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, just talked to a Gamestop manager about the Zelda party tryout event thingy. Apparently when they first did the press release about this party, it was supposed to be on a Sunday; all of the advertisements saying "And you can buy the game at the party!" were for when this Sunday thing was going on. It got switched to a Saturday for some reason, but they can't break street date because of whatever made up reason, so they won't sell it at the party.

Honestly, it just sounds like a bunch of backpedaling to me. Why the fuck would anyone care about a demo party for Zelda on the day of release, and who is going to go to a demo party for the game the day before release if they can't buy it that day?

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Wandering HeroWandering Hero Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Link's Awakening's ending made me pretty sad :(

It was a good game, though, just had a sad ending.

Wandering Hero on
    Not today.
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Okay, just talked to a Gamestop manager about the Zelda party tryout event thingy. Apparently when they first did the press release about this party, it was supposed to be on a Sunday; all of the advertisements saying "And you can buy the game at the party!" were for when this Sunday thing was going on. It got switched to a Saturday for some reason, but they can't break street date because of whatever made up reason, so they won't sell it at the party.

Honestly, it just sounds like a bunch of backpedaling to me. Why the fuck would anyone care about a demo party for Zelda on the day of release, and who is going to go to a demo party for the game the day before release if they can't buy it that day?

I thought retailers could get into some deep shit if they sell things earlier than the release date?

Also, I know that the local Walmart usually doesn't get their stuff in til the day of.

Aeyther on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The local Wal-Mart gets most games in the day of, and the big titles before the street date which are then held out of site until that date. And if they do break street date (which they usually can't because the register won't allow them to sell), no publisher will do a damn thing to Wal-Mart. They talk big, but they won't do it.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Games that come out on Sundays always get shipped early, for most stores anyway.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Depending on the publisher, some retail stores get games up to a week (or more, rarely) before the release date. For example, the Gamestop I work at got Black Ops the Tuesday a week before it came out.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Actually, it's the case for all major titles with most retailers because the publisher can organize marketing efforts. They can say "hey, this shit's out on X day, go get it!" and not have to worry whether stores can afford overnight shipping.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Link's Awakening's ending made me pretty sad :(

It was a good game, though, just had a sad ending.

It reminded me of the ending of Kingdom Hearts: Coded.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Qingu wrote: »
    Iwata: So it wasn't like the chain led to the idea for the Hookshot?

Oh come on Iwata! The hookshot was one of the prominent items in The Legend of Zelda: Link To the Past, so the idea for it obviously came way before. God!

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hey, my birthday is next Monday! Only I don't have a 3DS...

I'll just play Ocarina of Time on my old CRT tv. :(

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just picked Ocarina 3D up.

The "manual" is just like the japanese version. A fold out pamphlet. That didn't bother me so much but I can see others being disappointed.

The game itself? Well.. it's Ocarina, but it looks great. The ability to aim by moving the 3DS around works very well and I don't see myself using the stick to aim at all. Two items can be mapped to X and Y with two decently sized touch screen buttons on the upper right and lower right corners can be assigned to take two more items, so 4 in total accessible.

Just beat the Deku tree and will dive right back in but just wanted to give a few impressions.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    GiantBomb quick look of OoT!

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d/17-4396/

One hour of direct feed footage and commentary. Obviously don't watch if you don't want to ruin some of that moment of experiencing it again for the first time.

So far it's just been Jabu Jabu's Belly.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited June 2011

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d/17-4396/

One hour of direct feed footage and commentary. Obviously don't watch if you don't want to ruin some of that moment of experiencing it again for the first time.

Brad's consistent destruction of crates he needed, even when saying out loud "I need to find a crate for this button", was the most infuriating thing I may have ever seen on that website.

Goddamnit, Shoemaker.

Ceno on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm disappointed when a game *has* a manual. They are almost entirely pointless these days.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked manuals from old stuff like donkey kong country and earthworm jim because they were 40% nonsense and somewhat humorous

I miss those

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Ceno wrote: »

Brad's consistent destruction of crates he needed, even when saying out loud "I need to find a crate for this button", was the most infuriating thing I may have ever seen on that website.

Goddamnit, Shoemaker.

I swear to God Brad is like the worst video game player ever. Everytime I try to watch him play something it hurts my brain.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I liked manuals from old stuff like donkey kong country and earthworm jim because they were 40% nonsense and somewhat humorous

I miss those

And then there were the manuals for the Sim series.

jothki on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    jothki wrote: »

I miss those

I remember the manual to SimCity 2000 and Civ 2. I'm pretty sure both were at least 100 pages, and that was before the sections in other languages after.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »

Goddamnit, Shoemaker.

I swear to God Brad is like the worst video game player ever. Everytime I try to watch him play something it hurts my brain.

And each time one of those flying manta rays showed up, he shot like 4 slingshot rounds at it, missing twice each time because of invincibility frames.

My 13-year-old self just had an aneurysm.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I nearly had one watching him play Deadly Premonition. He's like one of those people where you're watching them and the solution is SO obvious to the point they are literally looking right at it. You are screaming at the screen and they are completely clueless. That is Brad with like every video game.

That, and just general awfulness at anything that requires, you know, skill.. It was funny because when I bought that game (DP), I couldn't believe how ridiculously easy the combat was based on how much trouble it gave him. Kind of a "seriously, he had trouble with this?" moment.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It was hilarious watching it. And by the end, both of 'em are like "Oh yeah. Zelda games are really good!" Do not question zee Zelda!

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    apotheos wrote: »
    I'm disappointed when a game *has* a manual. They are almost entirely pointless these days.

Which makes it all the more amusing when they do have useful information that no one sees. Like in L.A. Noire.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It used to be that games needed a manual or you'd be wondering just what the hell is going on. I like reading the lore behind games even today, though.

As far as Zelda goes... I fired up Link's Adventure and goddamn it, there are parts that are so driven by blind luck. There's not even a hint at where to look for the cottage where you get permission to cross the bridge (in the town whose name I can't remember). I only knew where it was because I've been there before... but have no idea how young Zar managed to figure that one out.

I think the completionist in me (even at that young age) found that there were encounters in the woods that you entered automatically, and I had decided to do them all. *shrugs*

And Death Mountain... ugh. That place was a nightmare before getting the downward thrust.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    It used to be that games needed a manual or you'd be wondering just what the hell is going on. I like reading the lore behind games even today, though.

As far as Zelda goes... I fired up Link's Adventure and goddamn it, there are parts that are so driven by blind luck. There's not even a hint at where to look for the cottage where you get permission to cross the bridge (in the town whose name I can't remember). I only knew where it was because I've been there before... but have no idea how young Zar managed to figure that one out.

I think the completionist in me (even at that young age) found that there were encounters in the woods that you entered automatically, and I had decided to do them all. *shrugs*

And Death Mountain... ugh. That place was a nightmare before getting the downward thrust.

The one with the ghost?

And I kind of like that actually. It encourages you to explore rather than giving you all the answers (like most games do today *grumble*). Of course, there is a point where that can go too far depending on how well they've hidden things.

I like it best when you aren't necessarily told where to go, but items you've acquired unlock new areas (i.e. to use examples here - being able to jump over holes or pick up rocks)

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

I miss those

I remember the manual to SimCity 2000 and Civ 2. I'm pretty sure both were at least 100 pages, and that was before the sections in other languages after.

Starsiege: Tribes. two manuals, both over 100 pages, and one is basically a history book about the SS universe.

Seriously, I miss those days. The Witcher 2 gave me a flashback when I opened my copy and looked through the books. :^:

Shadowfire on
This discussion has been closed.