As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Legend of Zelda: 25th Anniversary Thread - Landmark of the Greatest Gaming Series

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Renzo wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Ceno wrote: »
    GiantBomb quick look of OoT!

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-the-legend-of-zelda-ocarina-of-time-3d/17-4396/

One hour of direct feed footage and commentary. Obviously don't watch if you don't want to ruin some of that moment of experiencing it again for the first time.

So far it's just been Jabu Jabu's Belly.

Brad's consistent destruction of crates he needed, even when saying out loud "I need to find a crate for this button", was the most infuriating thing I may have ever seen on that website.

Goddamnit, Shoemaker.

I swear to God Brad is like the worst video game player ever. Everytime I try to watch him play something it hurts my brain.

And each time one of those flying manta rays showed up, he shot like 4 slingshot rounds at it, missing twice each time because of invincibility frames.

My 13-year-old self just had an aneurysm.

Heh, I just started watching this and that is already getting to me.

But apparently he got all the skulltulas before, so that isn't too bad.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any US PA'ers have this yet? I got my copy yesterday (taking my time though, only through Dodongo's Cavern) and am wanting to register for the free soundtrack, but I'm not sure if I can do that yet or if I have to wait until Sunday. Anyone here know? Otherwise Ocarina is just as brilliant as everyone remembers it being, and if Majora's Mask doesn't get a similar treatment it will be an absolute travesty.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So apparently master quest isn't unlocked from the start?

I was looking forward to the day I bought a 3ds and getting OoT because it's been long enough since I've palyed it that I'm fuzzy on most things, but not so long that everything won't come flooding back immediatly on starting it up. So the master quest would of been like a whole new game for me!

Kinda disappointing.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So apparently master quest isn't unlocked from the start?

I was looking forward to the day I bought a 3ds and getting OoT because it's been long enough since I've palyed it that I'm fuzzy on most things, but not so long that everything won't come flooding back immediatly on starting it up. So the master quest would of been like a whole new game for me!

Kinda disappointing.

It's true. Was looking forward to taking this away on holiday and working on Master Quest during downtime but I now have to beat the original first.

Not that much of a bad thing but for the same reason you described I am disappointed as well.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Started up Wind Waker in honor of all the Zelda. I have not played this game since I beat it when it first came out, and I must say - it holds up very well. I forgot just how much traveling there is in this...

I would love to see this on 3DS.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Best thing about the Giantbomb Quick Look? No Alex.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    4 Gamestops near me and none of them are doing shit. None of them are opening until noon. Oh well.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    TrystenTrysten Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    4 Gamestops near me and none of them are doing shit. None of them are opening until noon. Oh well.

Going to be a loong night tonight.

Mine doesn't open until 11am.

Trysten on
    QZ7MPEE7FX.jpg
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have two burning questions about Ocarina 3D out of pure curiosity: Which version of the Fire Temple music is in the game, and what color is Ganon's blood?

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    A quick Google search tells me it's based on the latest version, so green blood, no chanting and some changes to symbols.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Commercial Comparison. Unfortunately, that was the best copy of the N64 commercial I could locate.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have to admit, I find myself wishing that they'd been a little more ambitious with this remake. I can understand not wanting to mess with a masterpiece, but this really is just Ocarina with a few minor features and really pretty graphics. The sound definitely could have used a similar update (even if it wasn't orchestrated they still could have modernized the synth and effect quality), and I really wish they'd restored the Light Temple to the game (always bugged me that Rauru just gives you the first medallion). Those two elements really would have pushed this over the top. It's still fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but see it as something of a missed opportunity.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    I have to admit, I find myself wishing that they'd been a little more ambitious with this remake. I can understand not wanting to mess with a masterpiece, but this really is just Ocarina with a few minor features and really pretty graphics. The sound definitely could have used a similar update (even if it wasn't orchestrated they still could have modernized the synth and effect quality), and I really wish they'd restored the Light Temple to the game (always bugged me that Rauru just gives you the first medallion). Those two elements really would have pushed this over the top. It's still fantastic, don't get me wrong, but I can't help but see it as something of a missed opportunity.

They did add in the Master Quest and some of those dungeons changes are bizarre.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    And while the Master Quest was already made for the Cube rerelease, they also mirrored it and added more enemies, and they all deal more damage too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't know if this has been brought up before (long thread!), but is it just me or does adult Link look oddly squat/short in the 3DS remake of OoT? Did he look that way in the original? I remember him being taller...

Endaro on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's pretty obvious that the instrument samples are higher quality (higher sample rate and/or bit depth) than on the N64 version.

If you ask me, they made the right call. If they had done a full orchestration and managed to keep all of the dynamic elements, that would have been the way to go. But that was probably never on the table. And aside from that, it's better to leave it alone than to half-ass improve it with new samples or arrangements.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    if I miss out on this soundtrack because people got the game early I'm gonna be pissed

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I read they made the Lost Woods different by using the stereo to guide you through it, instead of increasing the volume whenever you were going into the right path, so that's something they improved upon.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    if I miss out on this soundtrack because people got the game early I'm gonna be pissed
    Offer begins on 6/19/2011, 12am Pacific Time.

So when you do the math, some people actually will have the game from retailers that morning and still won't be able to get the soundtrack. Fear not.

HallowedFaith on
  • Options
    MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    so, i really want to play Ocarina of Time, but should i buy it on virtual console, try to hunt down a copy of Master Quest on ebay, or hold out in hope of getting a 3DS and wait until then to get OoT 3D?

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Billmaan wrote: »
    everyone knows Hyrules is just a place in the Starfox universe (canon!)

It must be true. How else do you explain this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H10Tl3sTpWM

Huh, so that's the story behind Super Smash Bros...
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Wait, zelda games come with manuals?

If you've never seen the manual for the first Zelda, you are truly missing a special, wonderful thing.
    DHS wrote: »
    All this talk about about the original Zelda it's progression being relatively obtuse made me realize something. I'm 25 in a month, and I cannot, absolutely cannot remember a point in my life where I didn't know where every dungeon in the first two Zeldas were. I'm serious, I don't even know how I learned in the first place, probably from my older brother but he doesn't know where he learned it from.

It's a secret to everybody.

I remember where they all are, in the first quest, at least. And I found them all myself, too. Other secrets, I can understand, but the locations of the labyrinths were pretty obvious there.

Strangely enough, LA was the one game of the original four to give me a really difficult time getting through. I wound up glitching it a lot to progress when I couldn't figure out what to do.

But Zelda, Zelda II... once I can afford the equipment, I'd love to do a gaming marathon of old games online, raise money for charity or something, and I'd like those two, maybe LttP to be a part of it. The only thing I expect might give me trouble, if a recent run is any clue, is Level 9 of LoZ.

As for OoT3D, I've had a copy for the past few days, but I've been so busy writing up E3 impressions and other stuff that I have not had time to fire it up. Going to do that tonight.

Will it finally win me over? I guess we'll see, but until it does, I'm going with TP as the one and only 3D Zelda I like. Don't ask me why, it just resonates with me somehow, for some reason.

I did get to play Skyward Sword at E3, and... well, I came away unimpressed.

I haven't written my impressions yet, but it just felt lacking to me as I tried the dungeon part. The controls were not what I expected, though I think there may have been some interference. Nintendo of Canada should be putting together a post-E3 thing for the press who did not make it to the show, so I hope to get another try there.

It started to come together as I played it, but as I see it: if it took that long to get used to on a demo, we might wind up with a tutorial to end all tutorials.

Things just were not clicking, for some reason. Apparently, the lunging slash is gone, as pressing A caused Link to sheath his sword. It also doubles as the Dash button, which you hold while running briefly.

As for the shield, no button that I could tell-- you had to thrust the Nunchuk out to bring it up, and again after every blow to it. I found it annoying, truth be told.

And then we have the main thing: the swordplay itself. I knew it was trouble the first time I held the sword in front of me in a sort of guarding position, but Link raised it over his head. Not a good start.

I just really didn't connect with it, though, until later on in. I got a little better, more with flipping spiders to attack. Stabbing motions seemed erratic in providing results, and trying to match up the swing of my sword (left, right, or downward) seemed problematic.

I was especially humbled last night-- Jimmy Fallon gets his hands on the blasted thing, shakes it more like he's playing TP after a case of Red Bulls and a chip on his shoulder, and obliterates the damn boss of the dungeon.

In short: if I had to choose whether to buy the game or not from my E3 experience alone? No chance in Hell.

But, as I said, I suspect that something was amiss. Someone else who played a different part after me came away unimpressed as well.

Last year, there was talk of cellphone interference messing things up. As the demonstration unit we used was right at the front entrance to Nintendo's booth, I wonder if something similar wasn't happening.

I hope to get another chance to try it; I'm not giving up the ghost yet, but I hope for another demo with what may be someone better-versed in the game itself to oversee. But that demo was a little worrying.

Truth be told, between all the "fighting is now a puzzle!" talk and the near-complete lack of combat during the closed-door roundtable demo, I do have other concerns. I'm not anti-puzzle, but I do think they should take a backseat to the fighting and exploration aspects; that's just the Zelda I grew up with. I think LttP did it well.

So, yay, a rough draft of my thoughts. Should make the write-up easier now.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They wouldn't release a game with tech that doesn't work. Nintendo's not one to say "well, sometimes when you hold the sword out straight, he raises it over his head...eh, that's not a big deal, it'd take too long to iron out the issues."

Wii Sports worked great with the more limited motion control at the time. Wii Sports Resort worked great with the 1:1 control offered there. Skyward Sword will play better than it seemed to at E3.
    Truth be told, between all the "fighting is now a puzzle!" talk and the near-complete lack of combat during the closed-door roundtable demo, I do have other concerns. I'm not anti-puzzle, but I do think they should take a backseat to the fighting and exploration aspects; that's just the Zelda I grew up with. I think LttP did it well.

Fighting in Zelda has always been a puzzle. How do I kill these armored guys? Oh, I have to run around behind them! I can't hit these flying flower things, how do I beat them? Ah, I just wait for them to land. How can I kill these masked enemies? Hookshot their faces!

Whether you have to wait for a Darknut to strike and hit A to spin behind him and cut off his armor, or have to see where the Moblin is holding his shield and attack the exposed area, Zelda combat is a puzzle.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    They wouldn't release a game with tech that doesn't work. Nintendo's not one to say "well, sometimes when you hold the sword out straight, he raises it over his head...eh, that's not a big deal, it'd take too long to iron out the issues."

Wii Sports worked great with the more limited motion control at the time. Wii Sports Resort worked great with the 1:1 control offered there. Skyward Sword will play better than it seemed to at E3.

I'm pretty much counting on that right now, or at least certainly hoping that's the case. You can never quite tell what Nintendo will do (such as Wind Waker, and ditching dungeons in favor of the Triforce hunt).

Fighting in Zelda has always been a puzzle. How do I kill these armored guys? Oh, I have to run around behind them! I can't hit these flying flower things, how do I beat them? Ah, I just wait for them to land. How can I kill these masked enemies? Hookshot their faces!

Whether you have to wait for a Darknut to strike and hit A to spin behind him and cut off his armor, or have to see where the Moblin is holding his shield and attack the exposed area, Zelda combat is a puzzle.

Hmm. put that way, I guess you do have a point.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    Offer begins on 6/19/2011, 12am Pacific Time.

So when you do the math, some people actually will have the game from retailers that morning and still won't be able to get the soundtrack. Fear not.

God, this is confusing, I don't understand.
    Directions: Offer begins on 6/19/2011, 12am Pacific Time. After you register The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D game and complete the registration survey, a screen will appear asking you to accept this CD offer. You must click through to accept the offer and complete the order process.

Okay, so you have to register the game, as well as complete the survey to get the soundtrack. But what happens if you register the game prior to noon? Does this mean they're going to get hammered by people at noon?

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    12 am is in an hour, not tomorrow at noon.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Ah, fuck.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I know. I have work tomorrow morning, and I plan to register the game from my phone before I start my shift. I get the feeling that anyone registering it day 1 are going to get the soundtrack. There can't be that many people buying day 1 that have a Club Nintendo account, right?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have the game coming via free shipping from Amazon. So at least you are in a better position then me. I wonder how limited limited is.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I will be shocked if anyone getting it tomorrow doesn't get one

but that may just be me trying to convince myself I'll be eligible. I've never used club nintendo before last week so I have no idea how these things work.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I know. I have work tomorrow morning, and I plan to register the game from my phone before I start my shift. I get the feeling that anyone registering it day 1 are going to get the soundtrack. There can't be that many people buying day 1 that have a Club Nintendo account, right?

Yeah, I'm debating between buying it at work, and taking a few minutes while I'm on the clock to register it right there, or to buy it, and then send the info to my wife, and have her register it for me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I ordered my copy through Amazon (because I had promotional credit to use) so I'll probably be too late to get the CD. It'd be nice to get it as a collector's item but I won't be too upset about missing out on the music. There's already a really good fan-remaster that sounds a great deal better.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You were right about early buyers not getting the soundtrack.

5847972824_12681cff39_z.jpg

I registered immediately after 12 and I didn't get this screen. Seems like they're out.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    FFFFFFFFFUCK

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MarioG wrote: »
    FFFFFFFFFUCK
    Reports indicate that some people saw that screen, some didn't, but the rules stated that this screen is necessary for the CD.

It's strange as fuck and I'm definitely calling 1-800-255-3700 tomorrow to bitch up a hellstorm.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Wha? No way, that can't be right.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Wha? No way, that can't be right.
    Club Nintendo just went down for maintenance. I'm HOPING it was just a glitch that won't fuck over those affected and they do a rollback of survey registrations so that we could try again.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, no sense in worrying about it. I guess I'll just see when I register it tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile, Gaf is freaking the fuck out.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, no sense in worrying about it. I guess I'll just see when I register it tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile, Gaf is freaking the fuck out.

Link.

• Options
    edited June 2011
    Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Qingu wrote: »
    I don't think I can play OoT again, even in beautified 3-D. I mean, I spent the majority of my waking time in high school playing that game.

I spent, seriously, maybe 10 hours looking for the Triforce based on Internet rumors about how if you beat the running guy under a minute you'll get a super-longshot that you can use in Gerudo desert to get to some weird outcropping in the background to get to the Temple of Light, and etc, and I believed them because it was 1998 and it was not as clear then that the Internet was made of lies, and then when it gradually dawned on me that there probably really wasn't a Triforce at all it crushed me. I can't go back to those painful memories.

I would LOVE for them to have put stuff like this in there

if not only to completely screw with people

just wild internet rumours circulating around again

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
This discussion has been closed.