As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] PROTOTYPE [Part 15: Two Tickets & One Thousand Suns]

• Options
    MonthenorMonthenor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    An hour of Prototype is never enough. Your videos are reawakening that sense of awe and power I had the first time through the game. A super(anti)hero game where even the skyscrapers are no obstacle, where tanks are playthings, where civilians are fodder...

Also, dat whipfist.

Monthenor on
  • Options
    valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am perfectly alright with your update schedule; I wouldn't mind if you took it a bit slower but I actually like having a few minutes of Prototype gameplay to watch during boring computer science lessons :D
    I never realised how good the critical mass ability was; I always kind of neglected it when I played Prototype because the whipfist and claws seemed so much cooler. Oh, and the blade of course. How WRONG I was. I mean, you don't chop people to death, you fucking explode them. I need to re-install this ASAP and make up for this terrible mistake.
    Oh god, I'm rambling again, aren't I? I've been watching too many British videos recently, sorry for that... must... stop....... arrrghh... please.... help me.....

valgomir on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man I'm basically the King of Rambling about games I like so I wouldn't be stressing about doing that in here. This is a Ramble Ok Zone.

Part 5: Open Conspiracy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2eSNyJ6T7s

When this mission ends I say "I didn't expect any events." I meant to say "upgrades".
    There is WOI that accompanies this update, it'll be up in a few hours. It's very short but I completely forgot to encode it. Whoops.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    :D
    You knocked a uav out of the air with a taaaaaaaank!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Out of curiosity, can you choose your consume animation? Because I don't really like the "slam on the ground and punch the shit out of it" one. Stomp one is neat, though

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The punching one is WOI specific. You can't do any other consume animation other than the stealth one on a WOI target.
    Can't choose animations at all, it cycles between two or three for normal guys.
    I'm not a huge fan either because it's really long, but on the other hand you can't get knocked out of it unlike the normal ones.

WOI 3
    This one includes two WOI relating to Elizabeth Green. I got the origin trophy from the one at the end (discover the backstory of elizabeth green).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFIVrqAp3g

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Well, I bought this on steam. I hope you're happy. Because I am.
    Igel wrote: »
    You have successfully induced me to play through this again. I hope you're happy. I am.

Out. Out of my head, now.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I too want to be the king of the Zombalunks

Vic on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I bought this on steam. I hope you're happy. Because I am.
    Igel wrote: »
    You have successfully induced me to play through this again. I hope you're happy. I am.

Out. Out of my head, now.

Yes sir El Presidente! Juanito will leave.

I've been tightening up my movement. It's really nice, and now that I see some more of how battles progress I can do more than just kinda brute force it. Now I brute force it more elegantly.

It was a lot of fun the first time around, it's even more so now.

Igel on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 6: In The Web + The Altered World (2x story mission)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nian1ocSu5w

When I say "Press it NOW" I'm trying to say "Press it EARLY".
    It's probably clear what I'm trying to say but you know me I need to explain things in redundant detail just in case oh god the words I can't stop the words someone help me stop help meeeeeee....

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part7-1: Errand Boy + Under The Knife & 2 WOI Vids

Sorry about only 1 part, I haven't had time to watch the second part on youtube to check for errors. I will check it tomorrow morning and update first thing in the morning.

There's 2 WOI after this, I recorded them as I got them but decided they should both go after part 7-1 for "story coherency", so that's why they are separate videos. WOI 4 was actually found before part 7-1, interestingly. WOI targets are often used as "foreshadowing" for those that take the time to hunt them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08DGYBkU8tk

WOI 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnqXIT7lJ9c

WOI 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-xTb5UE8rI

I am amused that the guy in the hazard suit in the WOI 5 thumbnail looks a bit like a stormtrooper.

Part 7-2 will be up tomorrow morning.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dude why not list your videos? There are mans out there in the wider world who must share of the joy

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, this part of the game. I always hammered through it as fast as possible just to get it over and done with.

Still, if my memory serves me correctly, at least they give you a couple of nice presents at the end of it. :mrgreen:

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Upgrades: this pleases Morninglord. And I think I found out why.
    surrealitycheck was right all along! :shock:

And seeing Morninglord get all excited pleases me.

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dude why not list your videos? There are mans out there in the wider world who must share of the joy

It's been giving me important feedback on how long it generally takes for the majority of my viewers to catch up. Now I know that I can probably do a three times a week update schedule during the semester, which I've been wondering about.

I'll start making them public when I can be bothered to go update the tags so that people can actually find them if they search for them.
    valgomir wrote: »
    Upgrades: this pleases Morninglord. And I think I found out why.
    surrealitycheck was right all along! :shock:

And seeing Morninglord get all excited pleases me.

If I am a robot it is one with a defective HDD. I forget my train of thought so much!
    Now I gotta check the second part.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that's ur ram bro

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Let's be honest. It's probably both.

Part 7-2: The Stolen Body + Biological Imperative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5PfnhyV5MM

Incidentally I'm going back to a more sane update schedule now. Roughly three times a week.
    Next one will be on my sunday, so saturday sometime for NA? I think.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Playing through again on Hard. Just finished Elizabeth Greene, and I'm left with a newfound appreciation for that boss. The lasting memory of that boss I have is immense tedium, but this time, I was engrossed the whole way through. Sure, it still felt long, but it didn't feel overly long. Instead of muscle-mass cannon-balling her base like I did in previous play throughs, I tried the riskier but infinitely more fun method of landing Air Graveyard Devastators on her. Keeps the fight tense and entertaining the whole way through.

Slortex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Slortex wrote: »
    Playing through again on Hard. Just finished Elizabeth Greene, and I'm left with a newfound appreciation for that boss. The lasting memory of that boss I have is immense tedium, but this time, I was engrossed the whole way through. Sure, it still felt long, but it didn't feel overly long. Instead of muscle-mass cannon-balling her base like I did in previous play throughs, I tried the riskier but infinitely more fun method of landing Air Graveyard Devastators on her. Keeps the fight tense and entertaining the whole way through.

Wait, there was another way to beat her instead of air-graveyarding her mutated ass?
    That would explain WHY that boss was so rage-inducing for me.
    A friend is going to give me his copy of Prototype again today, so my weekend will consist of me testing out the musclemass ability and having a blast killing zombies and the military alike.

valgomir on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Muscle mass cannonballing her base can kill her in < 5 minutes if you get it right.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morninglord, a bunch of stealth missions and no showing off the patsy? Shame on you.

Also, it's pretty amazing seeing you play with full powers. I find it really funny that taking away your powers didn't phase you in the slightest.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I know man I completely forgot. I was bitching at myself as I edited part 7. Man how did I forget patsy geeez.
    So it's at the start of the next vid.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've started getting lockups on random WOI videos. Always the same ones too, so it seems to be corrupted memory or somesuch. The most annoying thing is that when it locks up, the game process becomes as unkillable as Mercer himself, and I'm forced to restart.

Anyone else had this?

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Muscle mass cannonballing her base can kill her in < 5 minutes if you get it right.

In Hard mode also? I had little difficulty cannonballing her on Normal, but it seemed to do much less damage than the Air Graveyard devastator when I moved to Hard. Seemed much more efficient to land a devastator or two, run off and consume, then repeat.

Slortex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty much always talking about normal. I played hard once for the trophy and never went back. It was so boring. You've got basically one power worth using at all in hard. Muscle mass+height+bulletdive. It's a great combo but I prefer the variety of normal. Air drop doesn't even take out a tank on hard. Sillyness.

Interestingly, although air blade drop wont kill a tank fully charged on hard, elbow drop with hammerfist switched to muscle mass boost will still one shot them. I found that amusing because it shows the combo does more damage than air drop.

It was a long time ago you understand so I don't quite remember, but I think I killed green on hard the same way as you.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Green is definitely near the top of my list of annoying bosses simply because of the time she takes if you don't really know the most time and cost effective ways to fight her. So tedious and so annoying.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    All the bosses in prototype are terrible "first time" bosses unless you happen to stumble across the three or four "winning" strategies against them by accident. There's two really fast really high damage high risk strategies and one really safe strategy versus green. All the others, including using air blade drop, are mediocre "gets the job done terribly" strategies. I'm not really sure which one I'm going to go with in the lets play.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty much always talking about normal. I played hard once for the trophy and never went back. It was so boring. You've got basically one power worth using at all in hard. Muscle mass+height+bulletdive. It's a great combo but I prefer the variety of normal. Air drop doesn't even take out a tank on hard. Sillyness.

This is my second hard run through, and I never buy bulletdive... I can't be bothered to forgo other upgrades to save up that much EP, plus I hate having to get into position to use it. I find myself varying powers more on Hard, to be honest. I like that you can't one shot tanks... makes them somewhat of a threat in larger groups.
    I'm not really sure which one I'm going to go with in the lets play.

Cannonball or Air Graveyard Devastator look the coolest, I think. Zipping around her base, dodging rocks and those green dots before landing a hit and running out of there or, if you're feeling frisky, going for a second attack in one sweep just looks more badass than whipfisting (if that's your 'safe' strategy) or blade dropping.

Slortex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think it'd be interesting to watch you play hard.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Quoted to save for posterity.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I don't get it. Are you making a subtle reference? Morningbot does not compute.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just keep thinking about it.
    :winky:

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Slortex, I think MuddBudd wants me to play hard with you.
    Am I doing this right?

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Sadly, I don't have a capture card, so that's going to have to wait.

If anybody really wants to watch me play hard, you'll just have to use your imaginations.

Slortex on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Part 7.5: Supersized Freeroam (I like the new stuff better than the old stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc81Ru554TI

In this ginormo freeroam I cover a ton of stuff.

Patsy, usage of choppers, fast ways of making money, some tips on mercer-to-air combat, tanks, 3 weaknesses of tanks to watch out for, air graveyard devastator, tips for fighting hunters, some more of the "philosophy of zombie" and combating infected while disguised as the military.

Oh and a WOI at the start.

Part 8 will be up tomorrow. I also updated the guide with all the events unlocked up to the end of 7-2, if you are into that. The WAR and Kill events are probably fun viewing if you like mass destruction.

edit: Here's a video I remembered I was going to throw up with this but forgot about.
    It's just a really short vid that brings together all the stuff about fighting helicopters I mention in part 7-2 and the 7.5 freeroam. I made it ages ago and it's in the end game freeroam where there are tons of helicopters flying around. Don't worry, there are no power spoilers. Because there is a bit of scaling health going on, muscle mass is just as powerful where I am in the story now as it is in this video when it comes to fighting helicopters. There's no extra moves or anything you haven't seen yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xr94l83MGU

Morninglord on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well now, I didn't know you could use the close range version of Pasty to actually escape from an alert. And you've shown us so many combat tips that I'll have to do my best to remember all of them for when I get finally around to playing the 360 version of this game.

And that helicopter video was inspiring. Me, I'd have just jacked the first helicopter and used it to blow up the rest of them. It just seems so pedestrian to consider doing that now.

Finally, I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised you haven't yet grabbed a civvie, hopped up to the top of the tallest building you can find and shown us just how far you can throw them. I know you lobbed a cop car of the top of a tall building, but it's not the same. People go so much farther. :)

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the long range version works too it just takes longer so you are more likely to be knocked out of it.

If you want me to throw a random dude I can throw a random dude. I shall carefully select someone at the start of my next recording. It'll take a couple of updates before you see it though.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    the long range version works too it just takes longer so you are more likely to be knocked out of it.

If you want me to throw a random dude I can throw a random dude. I shall carefully select someone at the start of my next recording. It'll take a couple of updates before you see it though.

I'd save that civilian for some of the cooler wrestling-inspired moves you get later on :twisted:

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I've got them already. ;)
    The good stuff is not too far ahead.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got them already. ;)
    The good stuff is not too far ahead.

In I'd definitely show at least one move from the highest building, imho the game doesn't get much better in terms of sadistic brutality.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird