Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] PROTOTYPE [Part 15: Two Tickets & One Thousand Suns]

MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
PROTOTYPE

1243734-1052015_prototype_super2.jpg

Welcome To My Let's Play of Prototype!
This is one of my favourite games of all time and I am very pleased to be showing all of you my pokemons.
What is Prototype?

Prototype is a sandbox style action game developed by Radical Entertainment. You are given a set of biological powers heavily reminiscent of The Thing that you slowly unlock over the course of the game and plopped into the middle of a gamey recreation of Manhatten Island. The point of the game is to use these powers to slaughter all comers and become an unstoppable being of godlike power. Your only moral choices in this respect are sociopathic or more sociopathic.
20090619.jpg

Here are some vids. If you can think of others feel free to suggest them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO99ByVVFYw
This is the splash movie that plays on the main menu.
Further vids nestle within.
Spoiler:

What will be in this Let's Play?

The "official" Updates will usually involve a mission, maybe two if it's a short mission. They will be about twenty minutes long give or take. Mostly give. They may or may not be accompanied by "alternate" takes on select missions to show notable different ways to play each one. This will happen more near the end of the game when your powers open up. There will also be some freeplay videos intended to be watched in between, more or less there to be an entertaining interlude to show off newly gained powers. WOI will be regular updates sprinkled at random. Everything but the WOI will be commentated. (Since I don't talk during cutscenes)
I intend to update missions twice a week.

Official? WOI?

The second post of this Let's Play will be a set of video guides detailing everything I know about prototype. there will also be some detail heavy text guides. I'll hide them behind spoilers so you don't need to be assaulted by more words than are necessary unless you choose to. They complement the main Let's Play without being compulsory in any way. They will be devoid of plot or story significance and are entirely dedicated to gameplay.
I will also be including Platinum videos for every Event in Prototype. Events are mini missions that unlock during the course of the game and award money with which to buy more powers as well as unlocking trophies. They are optional and will not have commentary. Any necessary advice will be under each Events link. I have already recorded, edited and encoded every Event in Prototype that counts for the Platinum trophy. They are just waiting to be uploaded. So as to not reveal too many gameplay spoilers for those who care I will be uploading them as each event unlocks.
Feel free to ask questions, as indepth as you like, about any section of the guide. As far as I am concerned, if you do not understand what I am trying to show in the guide then I have failed to teach it properly. If you don't want to watch any of the guide, don't stress. It's just there for people who want help.

You didn't explain WOI.

The Web of Intrigue is one of Prototypes advertised features. Basically the protagonist has lost his memory prior to the start of the game. Rather than unlock his own memory, he eats other people to discover his past. The net effect is sort of like if you went around collecting video tapes of yourself recorded at different times and places by different people, only much messier and involving a lot more screaming.
I will be uploading as much of it as I can find by the end of the game. In the event I finish the game and have not finished unlocking them I'll zip on over to one of my completed saves and throw it all up as a big upload, since you can access WOI you've already discovered at any time. The reason I'm not doing that in the first place is because WOI targets are worth a lot of "money" each and I'll be too lazy to hunt them for that money if I do that.

I heard that Prototypes story sucks.

It's complete gibberish. It's got good voice acting, music and an interesting enough feel if you don't take it too seriously though. It helps give cursory motivation. In quite a few missions this all comes together into something fantastic without actually being rational in any way. It's a purely visceral thing. This may appeal to some of you and I'm including it for that reason.
Surprisingly, the story is internally consistent towards its own ingame rules. It's just that the rules are gibberish. Think "comic book reality" and you'll get the idea. Ask Aegeri about the virus part of the plot sometime, his rant can be educational.

Anything you don't want in this thread?

Please don't talk about any story spoilers before they happen, even in spoiler tags. Please respect watchers who may not have seen it before. Don't use clever talking around it or anything like that. The story might be gibberish but there is some interesting stuff in there and there may be people who are interested in finding them out as they come.
Feel free to speculate about any WOI that have been posted, but try not to bring in information you already know that is ahead of the Let's Play. I'm not trying to protect the "awesome story" or anything like that, I just think that if you are into the story for aesthetic reasons then having it spoilt would suck pretty badly and spoil some of the atmosphere of watching it.
Please do not compare Prototype to Hulk or Infamous within this thread. It causes too many arguments and just ends up being a downer for all involved. Please take it elsewhere. Prototype thread is here, Infamous thread is here, we have no recent Hulk thread but it can easily go in the Prototype thread.

Anything you particularly do want?

I'd love it if anyone wanted me to use a particular power or do a particular goal a particular way. If I like it enough to do it but don't want to put it in the Let's Play I'll make an alternate vid. You can also ask for freeroam exhibitions of power sets or for me to do something a bit more so you can see how it works, I'll make a quick little vid for you. I have myself an expensive new capturing toy and a love for prototype that knows no sane bounds. It would be my pleasure.

Let's Play Updates

I'm starting a fresh save on a new PS3 profile. This way you guys can see trophy unlocks and I can make guides for unlocking difficult ones.
The vids are in 720p, if you want to watch them that way. I wouldn't watch them in anything lower than 480, the action will be too hard to make out. Or maybe that's just me.
I intend to look into direct download style hosts in the future once I've got myself set up.

First update:
Spoiler:

WOI 1
Set 1: Found between the first and second update.

Part 2: Behind the Glass.
Spoiler:

Part 2.5: The Art of Eating Mans (Freeroam + a couple of random WOI)
Spoiler:

Part3: The Wheels of Chance
Spoiler:

Part4: A New Order
Spoiler:

Part 4.5: Fast Food + King of the Zombies (2 x freeroam)
Spoiler:

WOI 2
Spoiler:

Part 5: Open Conspiracy
Spoiler:

WOI 3
Spoiler:

Part 6: In The Web + The Altered World (2x story mission)
Spoiler:

Part7-1: Errand Boy + Under The Knife & 2 WOI Vids
Spoiler:

Part 7-2: The Stolen Body + Biological Imperative
Spoiler:

Part 7.5: Supersized Freeroam (I like the new stuff better than the old stuff)
Spoiler:

Part 8: The Door in the Wall + First and Last Things
Spoiler:

WOI 6:

Part 8.5: Freeroam Highlights (post commentary) Includes WOI
Spoiler:

Part 9: The First Monster

Part 10: Making the Future + Children of Blacklight
Spoiler:

Part 10.5: Hillary vs Everybody
Spoiler:

Part 11: Men Like Gods
Spoiler:

Part 11.5 (The Hammerman)
Spoiler:

Part 12: A Dream of Armageddon

Part 12.5: WOI 8-9 & Turret Surfin Muscle Mass
Spoiler:

Part 13: The World Set Free + Things to Come + On Instinct
Spoiler:

Part 14: Shock & Awe + The Last Man
Spoiler:

Part 15: Two Tickets and One Thousand Suns.
Spoiler:

Morninglord on
My Dark Souls 2 Diary Day 6 and 7 Updated
(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.

• MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guide Section

Guide Updates Summary

Update 1: 2 movement tutorials. 2 Events (Eaves jumping |High Flying)
    Update2: 3 Events (Disembowelment | From On High | Point to Point)
    Update3: 3 Kill (Dismemberment, Infected Patrol, Grind the Bones) | 1 Glide (Over-Arching Triumph) | 1 War (Enemy of my Enemy)
    Update4: 9 Kill | 3 Glide | 1 Movement | 3 War

Movement Guide Videos:
    Spoiler:

Power Guide Videos:

(nothing yet, work in progress)

Platinum Event Videos
    Spoiler:

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh my god this is going to be amazing

IsaacSig.png
    3DS: 3007 8087 2767 | Nintendo ID: AngryFrog
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Morninglord, you are the only man who could do this LP.

steam_sig.png
    Battletag: Threeve#1501
    PSN: Threeve703
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This game was so fun.

Looking forward to the LP.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Talk about pressure.

I give up messing with the html for now. I can't get it to look right. I think it's just me being crazy.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck NONSTOP INFINITE CLIMAX POSTING you must go on i cant go on ill go onRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    don't watch this LP you'll only teach morninglord more of our human emotions

obF2Wuw.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm excited for this. Prototype is a game that's been on my wishlist since it came out but I've never brought myself to finally get it.

This should suffice.

Steam.gif Galedrid - WoW.gif Benediction - bnet.gif Galedrid#1367
    Origin.png Galedrid - FFXI.png Kingshand - FFXIV.png Galedrid Kingshand
    360.png Galedrid - WiiU.gif Galedrid - 3DS.png 3222-6858-1045
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A solid start. I shall look forward to more of this.

MGRSig2.jpg
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is one of those games I have not ever gotten far in. I got paralyzed by too much to do and not being very good at any of it. Also I had just finished infamous so it was kind of a superhero sandbox overdose.

sig.gifSteam | D3: captaink#1674 | 3DS: 2466-1914-7679
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 Yeah, I know, I missed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, I love this game so much. Gonna get started on this.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yayifications!

Oh Morninglord, you so crazy.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • MongerMonger Hella Fuckin Smokey Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome first set, and I look forward to more.

I played this game... got roughly about halfway through before it just sorta got a bit stale for me. Watching this game might actually be more entertaining than playing it, and I can't wait to see the rest of the story. :D

• KadokenKadoken All in the game, yo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was entertained. You don't talk much though.

• FalstaffFalstaff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some things about prototype are stupid. Everything else is FUCK-GASMIC.

So yes. Let's Play indeed.

Still verbing the adjective noun.
  • LalaboxLalabox You know what would speed this along? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I was entertained. You don't talk much though.

Yeah, Morninglord, it's ok to give a running commentary, or to spend more time explaining things. But still, looking pretty good.

I can't wait to see the crazy stuff that you'll be getting up to.

. ux94PNJ.png?1?1697

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I demand you absorb the Hillary Clinton doppleganger and kill as often as possible with her.

edited February 2011
    You talking about the blond npc or a specific blond woman in a suit.

I'll do some of the freeroam with that npc if I can find it.

edit: Found her. Wow its a pretty good likeness for the bland textures. Too similar to be coincidence.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Blond female in pantsuit. Better yet, scream America when you elbow drop stuff.

• valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be watching this, because Prototype is awesome and so are you.
    don't watch this LP you'll only teach morninglord more of our human emotions
    The Morningbot project

A: FPSs suck, all that ever happens is that I get shot!
    B: Well, you DO have to shoot back...
    edited February 2011
    Dear RoyceSeraphim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEbXnzWmSQM

Love Morningbot

(not an official video, I threw it together since I wanted to have it uploaded before bedtimes)

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mwuhahaha!

That was undeniably awesome.

MGRSig2.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Dear RoyceSeraphim

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEbXnzWmSQM

Love Morningbot

(not an official video, I threw it together since I wanted to have it uploaded before bedtimes)

God help whoever stalls negotiations.

steam_sig.png
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hooray! Thanks, Morninglord.

kyrcl.png
    edited February 2011
    First set of WOI.

How WOI will work:

I will be eatin dudes and suchlike in between updates. I will be updating short little WOI's like this continuously. The reason why I don't wait for a huge update or video of these things is because they're kind of disorientating and think they would be seriously weird to have a lot at once. The other reason is that if I wait too long, I will end up posting videos well after they are available for eatings. The plan is to do as much WOI hunting between updates as I can stand while also doing the other stuff I need to get out of the way in between updates. So expect these to be a bit longer in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txhKpmHB5Dk

These guys are available after the first update and before the second. I roamed all their spawns until no more spawned. Enjoy

In case anyone is interested, I can actually repeat that in english.
    "The subject (mercer) has a classical low affect (emotional reaction) personality" (lit does not feel emotion very strongly). Affect is a specific psychological term for emotional response. It's not as simple as it sounds but you don't need to know the details.
    "They have a psychopathic disregard for others." Translation: true psychopaths feel little or no emotion when considering other people. They treat other people as no different from things. This is related to their "low affect" in general. A psychopath could beat you to death with a handy item he picked up nearby if he decided it would be convenient for you to die and feel nothing untoward about it. You would be like an inconvenient object he had to remove to continue on with his day.
    Another way to think of them is as "moral idiots".

"Narcissistic world view." completely self centered. Everything is about how it affects him. This relates to the disregard for others. This doesn't necessarily mean they feel a lot of emotion.

"Self-Obsessive Disorders:" This one is weird and doesn't have a standardized definition. I'm interpreting it as compulsions to act in their own self interest. "I must find out who did this to me!" "Now I gotta kill them too"
    Walking away from the whole thing is not something he would ever consider. No "giving up".
    I thought initially that they might by trying to say OCD but that's something quite specific, can be pretty disabling and is not a behavior that Mercer actually exhibits. So I'm not fully certain on what they meant by the last bit. Pretty sure they're just referring to his obsessive drive for revenge and the single minded manner in which he tries to achieve it.

Mercer is the antiest hero. It's okay to be repelled by him as a person. It's by design.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think there's anyone more suited to doing a LP for this game than Morninglord. This is gonna be great.

camo_sig2.png
    My Backloggery PSN: Bigisy24
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha, man you love your text heavy intros. :lol:

edited February 2011
    you read that after you've watched the woi.

so its not technically an intro :P

i just found it really amusing that I could actually understand it perfectly.

I am punctuated by the Self-Obsessive need to explain. ;)

edited February 2011
    Mercer remains one of my favorite protagonists.

You piss him off?

He eats you.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited February 2011
    He's feeling a bit down and needs a pick me up?

He eats you.

He's got a hard day ahead of him?

He eats you.

edited February 2011
    Yeah, it just so happens that everything pisses him off.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited February 2011
    Basil wrote: »

he doesn't get pissed off though. he doesn't need to be pissed off to kill people. that's what this woi is telling you.

im just sayin

yknow

I think mass killing calmly is cooler. I'm such a horrible person.

i am so going to use this as a theme for a freeroam "power demonstration" video.

"Look basil. I'm killing this man with no emotion whatsoever. JUST LIKE MERCER." *splat splat splat*

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I am going mad trying to place your accent ML.

I know it's Australian, but is it Dutch-Australian, Indian-Australian or are you like me and just sound weird (everyone assumes I am American-Australian but I grew up in the country so...)

I am planning on playing through this again once I get time. I am most interested in the myriad instructions regarding technique and skillful doing of things.

EDIT: I am also curious about the effect of glide on travel speed. It seems to really slow things down can you confirm/deny/discuss?

Provide sample data to the Traitor project here || What is Traitor?
    SODOMISE INTOLERANCE
    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I decided to watch your first LP:P video because, well, you seem to be pretty good at LPing and as such pretty popular.

So far, I'm not disappointed. You're good at the game itself, your commentary makes me laugh, and, most importantly, I think you yourself have fun playing the game. I know a LPer who once decided to make a LP just by popular demand, and it didn't hold up to his standarts. At least here you don't do that (I didn't watch other LPs of you yet), and it shows. Great LP!

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Businessman!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I remember I got stuck on a mission with a tank and a black dude and gave up on the game entirely.

I hope this LP doesn't awaken something in me.

steam_sig.png

I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/TheJohnDarc
    edited February 2011
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    I am going mad trying to place your accent ML.

I know it's Australian, but is it Dutch-Australian, Indian-Australian or are you like me and just sound weird (everyone assumes I am American-Australian but I grew up in the country so...)

I am planning on playing through this again once I get time. I am most interested in the myriad instructions regarding technique and skillful doing of things.

EDIT: I am also curious about the effect of glide on travel speed. It seems to really slow things down can you confirm/deny/discuss?

I just sound weird. I think my descent goes back through canada to france on one side and straight back to england on the other.
    However I didn't pick up my accent from the canada side or anything since it was two generations ago.
    I'm just a freak.
    I had a discussion with my lecturer after my linguistics lecture once about a year ago and she told me that the distinctive characteristics of my speech seem to change moment to moment depending on mood and inflection. I can say the same word twice in a different way.
    Everybody asks me where I am from, but I've never left australia. I'm so used to the question by now that I just tell people I'm a natural mimic and picked up random accents from everybody I've ever met, since it seems to satisfy them. But I don't actually think that is the reason.

Glide will flatten out your trajectory and give you some slight elevation at the start. It seems to accelerate slightly right at the start.
    For the first few seconds as this levels out you are going forwards at a decent speed but it's nowhere near as fast as an air-dash. As he starts to drop you lose speed.
    think of it like throwing a paper plane. It goes up a bit, then levels out, then starts to drop. It's speed is the fastest at the start but it's forward momentum is greatest as it is levelling out since going up means you aren't going forward. As it drops fully it slows down until it eventually crashes.
    Mercer's glide works the same way. I use it for control and covering distance, but not speed.
    If I need to use it when travelling fast it is usually because I'm going to hit the wall of an obstacle rather than onto the top of it: in that case I will start the glide to raise mercer up but then air dash straight out of it onto the top of the obstacle. If he doesn't have any air dashes left at that point I usually drop the glide so I can hit the ground and reset his dashes.
    I do that because hitting a wall completely cancels your forward momentum: you are now going up instead of forward. So it's always better to avoid hitting the wall if you want to go forwards. It's the same reason I manually jump over obstacles on the road: the autoparkour is slow as fuck.
    I'm a complete speed freak. :)

It has limitations just like air dash. You can only catch yourself with glide about two or three times. After that he falls like a brick no matter how many times you try to glide.
    I decided to watch your first LP:P video because, well, you seem to be pretty good at LPing and as such pretty popular.

So far, I'm not disappointed. You're good at the game itself, your commentary makes me laugh, and, most importantly, I think you yourself have fun playing the game. I know a LPer who once decided to make a LP just by popular demand, and it didn't hold up to his standarts. At least here you don't do that (I didn't watch other LPs of you yet), and it shows. Great LP!

I'm kinda famous here (undeservedly in my opinion) for being the knowitall whose advice is mostly accurate when it comes to action games. this is actually only my second let's play and the first was a wash (crysis let's play). I did no commentary and played it how I liked to play, which was kinda slow and boring. Here I'm trying to mix it up a bit.
    I'm very glad that you like the quality, I've done a lot of research on what makes a good lets play and I'm pretty critical of my own videos. Monger is forever telling me to stop worrying about it. So I appreciate you taking the time to let me know I'm doing okay. I really want to get this right because I love this game so much oh my god. It is pure joy.
    I have to fight the urge to rush ahead and make a dozen updates in a row and this is the third time I've played this completely from scratch. I'm trying not to get too far ahead so I can respond to peoples comments in the videos.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Monger is right then; If you start worrying you'll act "out of character", which will decrease the "quality", or rather fun-factor of your LP. As I've said, a good LP is most of the time, if not always, done by persons who enjoy the game they're playing and don't do so to appeal to specific people but rather act the way they always do. If your first video was in-character (and I think it was), then you're doing just fine.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

edited February 2011
    I wasn't forcing myself. I just kind of said whatever came to me.

Sometimes I forget to talk because I'm busy playing tho. And sometimes I spoke because I felt like there had been too much silence, but I didn't plan out what to say.

It's getting easier to talk as I keep practising it. The very first commentary video I ever made was the first movement tutorial.

edited February 2011
    Basil wrote: »

he doesn't get pissed off though. he doesn't need to be pissed off to kill people. that's what this woi is telling you.

im just sayin

yknow

I think mass killing calmly is cooler. I'm such a horrible person.

i am so going to use this as a theme for a freeroam "power demonstration" video.

"Look basil. I'm killing this man with no emotion whatsoever. JUST LIKE MERCER." *splat splat splat*

He's the great white shark of video game protagonists.

Well, except for the Jaws game I guess. He's out-sharked there.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Why do you think Mercer jumps out of water soon as he lands in it.
    He knows not to step into another monsters territory. It would be a throwdown to end all throwdowns. Nothing living would be left.