Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in MMO Extravaganza
guildwars-logo.png

Possible upcoming GW updates:
  • Unknown. Maybe an Elona Guild Wars Beyond story arc?
  • Other exciting things.

Recent GW updates:
Bethryn wrote: »
Bethryn's Pretty Big Guide to Hall of Monuments points
Spoiler:

Hope this has been helpful, any criticism, extra tips and other feedback, put @Bethryn in the response so I see it!

Who’s playing this?
We have a guild in GW1 called the Kansas City Hotsteppers. You might have heard of us. Anyone is welcome to join, so just whisper one of the officers/leader, or post in this thread and we’ll get you in, just make sure you've already left any previous guild. We’re a generally friendly bunch and will help anyone out that needs help with missions and such. And of course, we’re open to running various things and various times, you just need to suggest it. We use Draygo's GW2 TS Server - Server Address: 66.135.59.185:9999 Password: pa
Spoiler:

KANSAS CITY HOTSTEPPERS [KCHS]
- For people who don’t have PA tags next to their names, I don’t know who you are on the forums, so lemme know.
- Let me know if you’d like to get added to the list. I know there’s people I missed.

Leader
  • Geod of Exile (PA: Geod)

Officers
  • Aaron Crossel
  • Ezra Cyonian
  • Grievous Prime
  • Jimmy Navio
  • Loriel Deseth (PA: -Loki-)
  • Ren Suun (PA: Unlucky)
  • Rivien of Exile (Lurker)
  • Royce Seraphim (PA: RoyceSeraphim)
  • Serafina Pekalla (PA: Unintentional)
  • Sour Stripes
  • Vivienne Heartsong (PA: Vivixenne)
  • Vladius Agrippa

We have another Guild Wars thread in SE. People will post there too. Viv maintains that one.

Generally, we will run an elite area every Friday, around 9pm EST, but have been slacking lately. Let us know if you want to run something.

This Weeks Run - TBD

Need GW help? Don’t know where to go?
Just post in this thread, or ask in game.

If there's anything else you want to see in the OP, let me know since we can change it now. I’ll add things when I feel like it.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

How do I make monies?
Spoiler:

Ecto? e? What?
Spoiler:

How do I know what is worth what?
Spoiler:

What profession is best?
Spoiler:

What secondary profession is best?
Spoiler:

How often is the game updated?
Spoiler:

I forgot my character name. How do I log on?
Spoiler:

I no longer have the game CD... how can I install the game?
Spoiler:

Geod on
XBL/PSN: Qamel NNI: Quamel 3DS Code: 0774 4249 8305
PAX East 2014 Omeganaut
http://www.pinnypals.com/?tab=pals&username=geod

• juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I've been using salvage kits to break down most of the trash drops. Should I vendor those instead?

The game doesn't explain missions very well. I was all out of quests in Ascalon before realizing what those shield icons meant.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dealing with NCsoft account shit is like

the worst thing

in the world.

No, I don't remember my master account name, because I haven't used it in years. Any PW recovery system with any amount of sense asks for the account's E-MAIL ADDRESS, because that is a permanent fixture.

So I've been having to kind of GUESS what my account name is, and now that I've found it, I have to deal with the next layer of opaque annoyance: because I had failed guesses as to what my account name was, the system put me on lockout. Except that it doesn't tell me that when I try to reset my PW. Instead, after I enter the account name I want to reset the password for, it asks for my DoB and to fill out the two word human confirmation. I submit ... and then redirects back to the 'enter account name' field, with no notification of a failure or anything to suggest why it's looping.

I've gotten to the security question field ONCE and it failed.

camo_sig2.png
    Like building space ships? Like space dogfighting? Want to play a make-your-own-ship dogfighter where you try to take out an enemy carrier while protecting your own? Then help Greenlight GoD Factory
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been using salvage kits to break down most of the trash drops. Should I vendor those instead?

The game doesn't explain missions very well. I was all out of quests in Ascalon before realizing what those shield icons meant.

If you're looking for a certain crafting item, then yeah, makes sense to salvage trash drops. You can look at the GW Wiki to see what they give. Otherwise, I'd just sell them. Of course I'm obsessive and save all the trash drops for Nicholas the Traveler. Oh, also, I have 16 extra seeds for the item this week for any guildies that want them.

Yeah, while pre-searing was great, it really didn't give a good overview of the mission system :)
    Dac wrote: »
    Dealing with NCsoft account shit is like

the worst thing

in the world.

No, I don't remember my master account name, because I haven't used it in years. Any PW recovery system with any amount of sense asks for the account's E-MAIL ADDRESS, because that is a permanent fixture.

So I've been having to kind of GUESS what my account name is, and now that I've found it, I have to deal with the next layer of opaque annoyance: because I had failed guesses as to what my account name was, the system put me on lockout. Except that it doesn't tell me that when I try to reset my PW. Instead, after I enter the account name I want to reset the password for, it asks for my DoB and to fill out the two word human confirmation. I submit ... and then redirects back to the 'enter account name' field, with no notification of a failure or anything to suggest why it's looping.

I've gotten to the security question field ONCE and it failed.

Yes, NCSoft is horrible. I haven't really contacted support but once, and it was a bit of a struggle to deal with them. You can try contacting support to get some more help, thought they'll probably ask you all those questions the site's asking you.

You'll also have to know one of your characters name to log into GW.

PAX East 2014 Omeganaut
  • juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I had to get them to tell me a character name. Remembered everything else, though.

Lanlaorn wrote: »
    That's just insulting, I think DBZ is bad but I'm not going to insinuate that it only appeals to people who are equal parts retards and psychopaths.
    edited February 2011
    I remember a character name. So I'm good there. And my e-mail should've worked.

I think I must have gotten hacked. None of the passwords I use work for logging into GW.

camo_sig2.png
    Like building space ships? Like space dogfighting? Want to play a make-your-own-ship dogfighter where you try to take out an enemy carrier while protecting your own? Then help Greenlight GoD Factory
  • Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User
    edited February 2011
    How hard are end-game dungeons? Are there specific build needed?

I finished Cantha but I've never done any end-game stuff in either Tyria or Cantha. I did FoW a couple of times a while ago though. I'll try to be on Friday if you guys will take me.

Also, if anyone needs to do the Final Assault mission in Sorrow's Furnace let me know. I know at least another guildie was thinking of doing it maybe this weekend. If you need help getting to the final mission I'll help as well.

Dac wrote: »
    I remember a character name. So I'm good there. And my e-mail should've worked.

I think I must have gotten hacked. None of the passwords I use work for logging into GW.

If for some reason if you still have the activation codes that works as well. I didn't remember anything about my account except my character name and I had the codes. They sent me the information I needed.

• Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo The Positive Perspective Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I lost my City of Heroes account because the email I used for it was some old email my parents had when we used AT&T for internet. Fucking obnoxious.

GOr07uA.gif
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Geod wrote: »
    Yes, NCSoft is horrible.
    Do not get me started on NCSoft support. I got an email saying it had been requested my password be reset, and if this was not me, to contact support immediately. So I do, and they then lock my account. They wouldn't unlock it until I gave them a serial number from a game on my account.

...I bought Nightfall 3 years ago, I do not have those serial key cards anymore.

I eventually convinced them to unlock it, but seriously, locking me out of my own account for doing exactly what you asked me to do? That's just terrible.

Also, for reference, my characters are of the form C-title Tanto. Like Comrade, or Corporal, or Castellan, or Centurion. I've made a promise to have more creative character names in GW2. Or to just make a necromancer named Ogden Bonestealer.

steam_sig.png
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, to be fair, given that hijacked accounts could be valuable, they're probably targets of social engineering all the time, and therefore are told to exercise a bit of caution. Still, it would be nice of them to tell you what exactly you need to retrieve your account when you buy the game, so you don't throw out/forget pertinent information

• VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    blue-dottin this

good work, Geod!

PS if you want to access the blog to maek poasts there let me know and I can give you permissions if you create an account on Tumblr

• VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How hard are end-game dungeons?
    Depends on the dungeon and, more importantly, how experienced your teammates are in running that dungeon. For example, I find Domain of Anguish in Nightfall very easy, but I am flabbergasted as to how to get around in Underworld or Fissure of Woe in Prophecies.
    Are there specific build needed?
    Generally speaking, yes, but this depends on your team. Most dungeons can be cleared with a pretty general party build in Normal Mode, but then the length of time needed to complete dungeons increases exponentially. There are lots of "speed clearing" builds that can be used by teams, and these require very specific builds, skill sets, and equipment.
    Also, if anyone needs to do the Final Assault mission in Sorrow's Furnace let me know. I know at least another guildie was thinking of doing it maybe this weekend. If you need help getting to the final mission I'll help as well.
    I have not done this dungeon in 5 years... not since it became THE place to get green items. I understand it has changed very much from the 4-man party that used to be able to ace the place in no time flat, and so I would be down to join you for this. We may work it into the "weekly endgame event" cycle.

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha what the hell. So I go through support to get a character name. They reply, tell me to give them a bit more information and to update the question on their site. I do and it closes the ticket. What, no! That's not what I wanted to do!

docshifty.png
    edited February 2011
    I actually called them up and had a really pleasant experience with the account guy. Asked my e-mail, gave them my serial code (which thankfully I still had on hand in my dusty GW CD case in my CD rack) and baddabing baddaboom. Playing again.

Played a Kurzick defense against the turtles thingy and rocked out with my Monk out.

Shield of Regen!

Shielding Hands!

You ain't killin shit.

camo_sig2.png
  • EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh guys. I finally got deep enough in Factions over the weekend (finished off the main campaign actually), and finally captured Signet of Spirits on my ritualist. Jesus, why did noone tell me. This is great. Spam 5 spirit skills, tap a group with Painful bond and relax while my group does the dirty work.

Gamecenter/Gamertag/Steam ID/PSN: Entriech
    Guild Wars 2: Entriech.3507 | Scythe Gearsnap, Phlork, Irenic
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User
    edited February 2011
    I forgot my password. I wonder how long it will take for supports auto-password recovery to email me a new password

• DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I forgot my password. I wonder how long it will take for supports auto-password recovery to email me a new password

If you open up the game and use the reset password in there, it sent it immediately to me.

docshifty.png
    edited February 2011
    i dont even have the game installed anymore :P

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Download this handy tiny exe file: http://www.guildwars.com/download
    Boom. Now you have Guild Wars installed. Of course, it'll take about 50-100mb more to actually get you logged in and playing, but still. I've always loved how the entire game can be streamed as you play.

• DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Docshifty wrote: »

If you open up the game and use the reset password in there, it sent it immediately to me.

The bigger issue is remembering character names... which would actually be easier if GuildWars didn't let you select surnames, et cetera...

Took me three days to get them to remind me what one of my characters was named.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Frem wrote: »

Boom. Now you have Guild Wars installed. Of course, it'll take about 50-100mb more to actually get you logged in and playing, but still. I've always loved how the entire game can be streamed as you play.

Add -image behind the shortcut.exe
    And you can download the whole game at one game.
    Streaming is terrible.

After getting 30/50.
    I have been trying so hard not to play this game since i have a huge backlog of games.
    Must resist untill Winds of Change comes out.
    I hope Shiro returns.

• MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maou wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

Add -image behind the shortcut.exe
    And you can download the whole game at one game.
    Streaming is terrible.

After getting 30/50.
    I have been trying so hard not to play this game since i have a huge backlog of games.
    Must resist untill Winds of Change comes out.
    I hope Shiro returns.

I bet he does, he had to get assassins nerfed so one doesn't own him, and now he is back for revenge.

Which is kind of a shame, I always liked the twist on that boss, that he was originally brought down by a single assassin, and you could do the same thing(if you were an assassin) when he came back as the envoy.

hobbessig.png
    edited February 2011
    So I got GW again (thanks for the exe people and the tips). The one thing that put me off is having the heroes with me. I have NO idea what abilities to give them :( I liked to use the guy that can use enhancements (i didnt load up the game yet, just got it installed). Any tips on what hero abilities to give my guys?

edited February 2011
    There are recommended hero builds on the various wikis. Let me pull some up and I'll toss a link on here.

Also, Alecthar (IGN: Amakir) has an excellent set of builds, as does Gabriel of Istan.

"He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited February 2011
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I got GW again (thanks for the exe people and the tips). The one thing that put me off is having the heroes with me. I have NO idea what abilities to give them :( I liked to use the guy that can use enhancements (i didnt load up the game yet, just got it installed). Any tips on what hero abilities to give my guys?

Go to the PVX wiki, they have hero builds listed there.

I usually roll 2 necros and gwen, one minion master, one curser, and gwen for interrupts.

The hench handle healing ok most of the time.

hobbessig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeamRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wanted to pick up that one necromancer lady to add to my hero lineup but you have to go through this insane quest line (EotN) to do it.

Given the infrequency with which I play I'm normally rolling with hero+hench and it hasn't gone so well. I haven't really been back to GW in a long time.

I only have Prophecies + EotN, as well...so many of the recommended builds, I can't use.

edited February 2011
    Make sure you have enough Hit Points (i.e., don't use superior runes) and upgrade your armor as best as possible.

edited February 2011
    So I played a single alliance battle in Ancestral Lands, as Kurzick, which is the map most biased in favor of Kurzick. Joined a team that otherwise consisted of the same guild
    Got rolled by over 350 points
    One sample a distribution does not make, but why is Kurzick so bad at Alliance Battle? The Luxons seem to always be in Kurzick territory whenever I look at the factions map.
    In this particular battle, there was a drawn-out 8v8 (since everybody runs builds optimized for shrine capturing, not pvp) between two shrines. Not sure what the other teams of four were doing, but we went from controlling 5 shrines to 1 during the stalemate, and eventually lost our remaining shrine, too.
    Several years ago, teams tended to be much more balanced, and maps rarely got to Ancestral lands/Grentz Frontier
    Aspenwood suffers this to a lesser extent, and Jade Quarry seems to be the exception

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So I played a single alliance battle in Ancestral Lands, as Kurzick, which is the map most biased in favor of Kurzick. Joined a team that otherwise consisted of the same guild
    Got rolled by over 350 points
    One sample a distribution does not make, but why is Kurzick so bad at Alliance Battle? The Luxons seem to always be in Kurzick territory whenever I look at the factions map.
    In this particular battle, there was a drawn-out 8v8 (since everybody runs builds optimized for shrine capturing, not pvp) between two shrines. Not sure what the other teams of four were doing, but we went from controlling 5 shrines to 1 during the stalemate, and eventually lost our remaining shrine, too.
    Several years ago, teams tended to be much more balanced, and maps rarely got to Ancestral lands/Grentz Frontier
    Aspenwood suffers this to a lesser extent, and Jade Quarry seems to be the exception

It seems to be at what time you hit it. I've had great JQ and FA, rarely do I have a really bad string of losses. I don't do AB tons, but yeah, I've noticed that Kurzicks suck more than often in there :\

PAX East 2014 Omeganaut
  • Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User
    edited February 2011
    When I did AB recently a lot of people just added my PvP character without even asking for a build.

I was accepted as an A/Me as soon as I logged in, thankfully I told them to wait so I could at least get a build off a wiki. Not really sure what we were doing either, a combination between chasing off stragglers and trying to control 1 shrine. I tended to see a lot of people go off on their own, especially this one Necro MM that had a small army with him, it was a bit funny to see.

I lost a lot and it doesn't seem like there was much coordination, still a lot fun though. It's probably a bit more fun to go with a group you know.

• EntriechEntriech Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does everyone just love Kurzick or something? Wait times on that side for Jade Quarry are ridiculous sometimes.
    Makes me wish I was 70k faction down my Luxon track instead.

Gamecenter/Gamertag/Steam ID/PSN: Entriech
    Guild Wars 2: Entriech.3507 | Scythe Gearsnap, Phlork, Irenic
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    Does everyone just love Kurzick or something? Wait times on that side for Jade Quarry are ridiculous sometimes.
    Makes me wish I was 70k faction down my Luxon track instead.

Yes, Kurz has wayyyy more people.

My theory is that red is the color of COMMUNISM!

"For who knows what is good for a man in life, during the few and meaningless days he passes through like a shadow?
    Who can tell him what will happen under the sun after he is gone?"
  • amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, to be fair, given that hijacked accounts could be valuable
    My issue is that for doing exactly what I was told to do by NCSoft, I was potentially locked out of my account. There were even plenty of other ways I could have verified that I owned the account, but they insisted on providing a serial number.

Also, totally just finished City of Torc'qua on hard mode B) (I am never doing that again)

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    The funny thing is that Luxons tend to fare better in the competitive missions, and the alliance that controls Cavalon has 3 times as much faction as House Zu Heltzer
    So. Double Kurzick/Luxon title track points. The doubling only counts when redeeming points, so I'm planning on accumulating points now, and dumping them all when the event starts. Assuming that I'll get 4 title points for every point redeemed for alliance rep, I'll be able to hit rank 4, which gives the HoM statue and allows for one more second of "Save Yourselves!"

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Kurziks suck at PvP thing is because FA and JQ tend to go the kurzik way more often than not, so all the good PvPers tend to stick to those. In AB You'll see luxons pushed all the way to their home during AB double faction weekends.

headphones2.jpg
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, anyone unlucky enough to be farming their faction from the luxon side almost has no choice but to use AB. FA and JQ are just futile as a luxon. It wasn't always that way, as I remember winning a good percentage of the fights back in the day. I tried it again recently, however, and it was nothing but getting steamrolled.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Entriech wrote: »
    Oh guys. I finally got deep enough in Factions over the weekend (finished off the main campaign actually), and finally captured Signet of Spirits on my ritualist. Jesus, why did noone tell me. This is great. Spam 5 spirit skills, tap a group with Painful bond and relax while my group does the dirty work.

How can you say no one told you? I literally say it in every post.

edited February 2011
    So, is anyone else interested in working on Ebon Hold faction?

edited February 2011
    Did they really expect me to remember a characters name?? I havnt played in over one year! Now to wait forever for support to email me back. At least I had my cd-keys handy!

I guess I own Prophecies and Factions, but I really thought I owned Nightfall too. I guess I will see when I enter the game

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, is anyone else interested in working on Ebon Hold faction?

I am, I'll be on later tonight, possibly, and definitely this weekend.

steam_sig.png