As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Well you can buy it with actual money too, right?

Although that really ruins the whole point of charming animals...

• Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    I've seen nothing of the sort, but that doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibilities.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't be discouraged by the fact that the Black Widow is in the Underworld. I successfully nabbed it with a party full of heroes. By far the riskiest part of getting it is learning the little piece of Underworld you'll have to go through such that none of the friendly NPCs accidentally die, because it kicks you out of the instance. But that just means you're out a few plat, no big deal.

After a mistake or two, it's easy peasy to get. Much easier than some of the HM missions or vanqs.

• Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Yes, you can buy the BWS.
    Unlocking cost (from the Zaishen Menagerie): 5 Gold Zaishen Coins plus 100 Gold or 50,000 Balthazar Faction (Prestige, Exotic type pet)

Does require a bit of Zaishen farming, however. The alternative is there, though, if you don't want to risk going into the Underworld.

After you buy/tame it, you have to get it to level 20 before you can dedicate it in your Hall. Should be easy once you actually get it.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    SuperdupeSuperdupe Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I tried to no avail in the Steam thread, so I thought I'd give it a shot here: I'd like to pick up the original trilogy before GW2 comes out, but not enough to drop $30. Anybody got a steam copy lying around they be willing to trade for any combo of ME, ME2, Torchlight, FO3, or Batman: AA GOTY?

Edit: I'll delete this if it isn't considered kosher or w/e.

Superdupe on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Do necros have no snares at all? I'm trying to get all the bonus objectives in Nightfall as I go through and I just can't get the escaping corsair sentries, it seems.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Use a hero with snares then. Not sure why you'd need to have one on your character.

Or better yet, use YMLAD ("You Move Like a Dwarf!" for those unfamiliar)

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Do necros have no snares at all? I'm trying to get all the bonus objectives in Nightfall as I go through and I just can't get the escaping corsair sentries, it seems.

Heh, I'm playing a freaking mage and I hate those sentries. I can catch one myself, but can't seem to wrangle my heroes into chasing the other one down properly. Probably because I suck.

SwashbucklerXX on
    Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Is the PA guild still active? I mean, I'm not looking for dozens of people on every day, but the guild I'm I right now hasn't had anyone log in (aside from me) in over 4 weeks. (As a bonus, I'm now the guildmaster. Yay!)

Seeing at least one online ally would be much more entertaining than the total silence I'm experiencing now. Plus so much has changed in the game I would like to be able to ask more experienced players minor questions from time to time.

26904.png
  • Options
    You should just play secondary ele and put deep freeze on your bar along with a snare hero. deep freeze's duration doesn't scale with attribute, and you need to be able to kill them within the 10s you have.

• Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Stupid wrote:
    Is the PA guild still active? I mean, I'm not looking for dozens of people on every day, but the guild I'm I right now hasn't had anyone log in (aside from me) in over 4 weeks. (As a bonus, I'm now the guildmaster. Yay!)

Seeing at least one online ally would be much more entertaining than the total silence I'm experiencing now. Plus so much has changed in the game I would like to be able to ask more experienced players minor questions from time to time.

KCHS has had 5 people log in the last 24 hours, 8 over the past 48 hours, and 14 over the past week. That should give you an indication of activity.

I'm still hoping to get to 50 in the HoM, so I'll become more active at some point. Curse you Skyrim.

• Options
    If anyone needs any help with missions or stuff in the evening hours EST I might be able to help you out. Stuff like Pogahn Passage HM as way easier with 2 people.

• Options
    DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    Can I get an invite for my character (Diamondelle Deraveu)? I just started playing this (after having it for a full year or so) in anticipation of GW2, so I'd like to give this a go for a bit.

ain't got one
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I still need an invite, too. I'm really just soloing through content at this point, but it would be nice to get the tag up. And I'd get to stop turning down random offers, too.

edit: nevermind, lol. Got the invite, thanks. Thanks for the quest advice, too.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DiamondGFX wrote:
    Can I get an invite for my character (Diamondelle Deraveu)? I just started playing this (after having it for a full year or so) in anticipation of GW2, so I'd like to give this a go for a bit.

Invited.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm having trouble with these quests, really. My heroes just explode in a few seconds against certain enemies. Currently djinns or something. I think they are minibosses. Am I supposed to be micro managing these clowns? I've tried doing some positioning, but every try literally takes about 30 minutes to get to the point where I'm having trouble, because I have to start from the beginning. Its really infuriating.

Actually, I remember this being why I just got sick of the main campaign back in vanilla. I'd get to points where hidden hordes of enemies would jump out of the ground and kill my useless minions in seconds. This isn't quite that bad, but nearly.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Does anyone have a spare armbrace laying around? I have 15 gemsets but no way to run through DOA currently, and I'm really not looking forward to playing all of nightfall with my rit just to get accepted in to a pug. so.. wtt 15gemsets for armbrace

• Options
    I'm having trouble with these quests, really. My heroes just explode in a few seconds against certain enemies. Currently djinns or something. I think they are minibosses. Am I supposed to be micro managing these clowns? I've tried doing some positioning, but every try literally takes about 30 minutes to get to the point where I'm having trouble, because I have to start from the beginning. Its really infuriating.

Actually, I remember this being why I just got sick of the main campaign back in vanilla. I'd get to points where hidden hordes of enemies would jump out of the ground and kill my useless minions in seconds. This isn't quite that bad, but nearly.

Do your minions have Certified Happytimes Hero Builds from someplace like PvX? Spending the time to get my heroes good builds and slotting up their equipment with HP runes has made all the difference for me.

• Options
    No, they are fairly basic and only a few of them have any upgraded gear. I didn't need it before. I'm on mission 9 (I think?) or Nightfall and never needed to boost them before. Now I just hit a point where they get insta-gibbed.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, Nightfall gets tough towards the middle-end. I recommend spending some time on the heroes. At the very least, put a good build on your healers. It really makes a huge difference.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Thanks much to Claw Shrimp for the minis.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Does anyone have a spare armbrace laying around? I have 15 gemsets but no way to run through DOA currently, and I'm really not looking forward to playing all of nightfall with my rit just to get accepted in to a pug. so.. wtt 15gemsets for armbrace

Nope sorry, but I'll help you run through a section of DoA if you need to. I'm sure you can find someone in game though to trade you for an ambrace.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Meh, i bought 15 coffers, got a ton of junk, and just ended up paying ectos for an armbrace. :welp: still have enough for my necro's obby armor so it's not a total loss right?

• Options
    I have to work on getting my Obsidian at some time I guess. I'm sitting at 37/50, and I could pretty easily get some more points if I put the time into it.

• Options
    So, looking at these builds. Setting up heroes with all those skills requires playing through the other campaigns to get them (well, exploring all the continents to find the trainers, at least), and then, I assume, paying money to learn them. Not complaining about the effort or anything, but that's rather excessive to my goal of just getting through the campaign. I did change my party around to include more mesmers, though, which seems to help.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    If it helps, you can unlock skills for heroes by playing PvP (something like Jade Quarry can help you to get balthazar faction without too much trouble) and using faction to unlock skills. All skills you unlock will be available for your heroes, even if your character doesn't have access to them.

To that end, if you really wanted to get the skills and saw no other way and have real $$$ to spend on the game you can purchase the PvP unlock packs in the store which will give you all the skills of a campaign. I don't recommend this.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    whew, finally got my rit through EoTN, so now i can run HM dungeons, farm glints, and get some norn armor. and work on maxing out my lightbringer/sunspear so i can try to do some DoA pugs for monies/HoM points.

for heroes, i've found that in NM, if you have the right skills, you don't really need runes at all, that last breakpoint won't suddenly make everything click. in HM, you want everything to the min/max though. but if you're doing standard mesmer/rit midline, you should be good. my main team, with my rit doing whatever, is SoS/resto rit, ineptitude/panic or esurge dom mes, AotL MM necro, icy veins resto necro, then usually i take 2 RoJ monks. you can change stuff as you like really, in NM, the necro minions provide a lot of tank for your team, though they usually prevent you from getting a good ball.

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote:
    whew, finally got my rit through EoTN, so now i can run HM dungeons, farm glints, and get some norn armor. and work on maxing out my lightbringer/sunspear so i can try to do some DoA pugs for monies/HoM points.

for heroes, i've found that in NM, if you have the right skills, you don't really need runes at all, that last breakpoint won't suddenly make everything click. in HM, you want everything to the min/max though. but if you're doing standard mesmer/rit midline, you should be good. my main team, with my rit doing whatever, is SoS/resto rit, ineptitude/panic or esurge dom mes, AotL MM necro, icy veins resto necro, then usually i take 2 RoJ monks. you can change stuff as you like really, in NM, the necro minions provide a lot of tank for your team, though they usually prevent you from getting a good ball.

I didn't understand a word of this post.
    I got most of it, except for I have no idea what "a good ball" refers to. But damn, that's some jargon.

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    ok, NM = normal mode, HM = hardmode, EoTN = Eye of the North, DoA pugs = Domain of Anguish pick-up groups, HoM = Hall of Monuments
    glints = Glint's Challenge, which is accessible from the Central Transfer Chamber and drops Cloth of the Brotherhood, used for hero armors.
    breakpoint = skill level needed for a skill to go from say, 8-9 seconds, mesmer and ritualist midline are just meta PVX builds, AotL = Aura of the Lich, RoJ = Ray of Judgement, these can be found on http://www.gwpvx.com/PvX_wiki if you want to look at the builds i'm talking about.

when i say a good ball, i'm referring to having one member of the party getting the attention of a group of monsters so that they all end up standing in a nice big ball for your AoE spells to just nuke/spike down in one good thrashing, rather than pick the off one at a time.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    My wife and I run the standard 7 Hero Player Support, with me filling the role of the SoS Rit. It's done us well so far, the only thing we've been unable to do has been DoA, due to energy starvation issues. Other than that, been hardmoding missions, dungeons, and vanquishing like crazy.

Entriech on
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Me and my girlfriend are trying to duo the game, but we lack most skills and equipment to make a respectable support group of heroes.
    We just now managed to finish the Asian campaign, so two more to go.

It's fun though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @squiddybiscuit having all the skills for a complete build makes a huge difference, i'd say figure out whats builds you each want for you and your heroes, and try and get those first, before you worry about runes/weapons/armor. with factions down, you should actually be able to make some good builds.

@entriech i run that pretty much too, except i run a 2nd smiter instead of the communing Rt. i'm trying to branch out, but i'm finding that, as a caster, i feel like that build is about the best you can get. i can get away with other things as ranger or dervish, but my ritualist pretty much needs that solid build since i don't run SoS myself. i been doing AP channeling lately for solo, and splinter barrage in group runs if i don't need to do ST or something.

also, a time for heroes, i took pain inverter, breath of the great dwarf, alkar's chemical acid. fight lasted literally 30 seconds. 2 pain inverters killed him, i didn't even need the acid skill :P

• Options
    ok, norn armor, black widow, and 2x cloth of the brotherhood done.

• Options
    Alright, earned my first bonus point (elite armor for a hero). I put up the wrong tapestries though, so I had to go and do one of the long quests to get the fellowship one up.

I read that you get points for beating the campaigns? If so, I guess that means you have to do all the main quests including the optional ones?

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    Alright, earned my first bonus point (elite armor for a hero). I put up the wrong tapestries though, so I had to go and do one of the long quests to get the fellowship one up.

I read that you get points for beating the campaigns? If so, I guess that means you have to do all the main quests including the optional ones?

You just have to finish the campaign finalé. I have Hero of Tyria on my ranger and she hasn't even done half the missions.

• Options

It's worth noting that the way this works is that you earn a title for completing each campaign. You'll get two HoM points for your first title, and then another three HoM points once you get to five titles. It's easy enough to do this by finishing each of the campaigns and doing a couple of the easy end game areas like Sorrow's Furnace and Fissure of Woe.

• Options
    Uh, well, I'm pretty sure I "beat" Nightfall. I killed Abaddon and did all the quests leading up to him. Did I not talk to someone? Or is it just a case of me not having that tapestry up yet anyway, so I wouldn't be able to tell?

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Blagh, thought I was hitting the edit button. Yes, you have to go to that monument and actually talk to the tapestry to put it up

Rook on
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Anything for your HoM won't show up on the calculator until you go dedicate it, like Rook said.

When I finished all of the Faction's storyline missions with a Master's Reward, I didn't instantly get the points for getting 10 titles (with only 9 previously) completed because I didn't dedicate the title at that point. When I went to the Hall and placed it on the monument, though, it recognized that I completed 10 titles.

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    Alright, thanks. Gotta do another quest and get me a tapestry. I could use the gold too. I spent every penny I had on skills so that my heroes are now somewhat useful.

1208768734831.jpg