As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Entriech if I have a fire imp mini you can have it for free; pretty sure it'd dedicated
    That'd be so rad, Viv. My wife would be so jazzed.

I'll keep an eye out for you in game. When I'm around (which has been all the time every night lately), I'm either on Imroth Edgewalker or Eintriech Reiniger.

Polished off Nightfall tonight, so heading on to Eye of the North just in time for the weekend. I'm also really excited about some of those notes, especially the ability to drag 7 heroes along with you. I know that's not really new news, but I'm excited that it's imminent news.

Also I anticipate some epic crying about Legendary Defender getting easier in any way, shape or form.

Entriech on
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I was crazy enough to get Legendary Defender of Ascalon, I'd be pissed knowing that people no longer have to die 100k times to get the title
    On a related note, this probably means that survivor and LDoA may now be possible

7 heroes means I'll never have to talk to a human being ever again

Embark beach might make me talk to another human for Eternal Grove HM

Not sure if Zaishen Vanquish would be enough carrot to make me do it

Serious_Scrub on
  • MaouMaou Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Geod wrote: »
    So guys, Feature Build is tomorrow. Unfortunately(fortunately for you guys), some of the update notes have been leaked by some press sites. Unfortunately, it's in Italian. Also one in dutch. But hey, I'll translate it for you through Google. There are some major things in here, so be happy. Though I'm not gonna clarify anything.
    • Party from 7 - The party of the player expands to seven heroes that can all be heroes Mercenaries.
    • Quest daily Zaishen Vanquishes - A new area offers a daily quest that allows for incentives and awards. To find it just look for the road sign in the area embark Beach.
    • Quest daily pre-searing - In the area of Ascalon (pre-searing) are new daily quests and rewards commensurate with dynamic difficulty depending on the level of the player. The quests are valid for the title Legendary Defender of Ascalon.
    • New Panel for followers - The update includes a new panel designed to simplify the control of the followers.
    • Status Online - Players can now change your status online when they connect directly entering the game marked as "Away", "Do Not Disturb"and of course "Online. "
    • Changes in securities - Update for the title of "survivor" and "drunk".

This has been confirmed by Martin Kerstein, so I'm not leaking anything here. Though I'll say, that might not be everything in the update ;-)

:shock:
    :)
    FINALLY!!!
    Time for me to go back to Guildwar after 30/50 to test them out.

Maou on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm thinking about getting back into this. I've lost my account, key's, and CD's so I'm just gonna re-buy it off Steam.

If I just buy the Trilogy, and not bother with EoTN...will I be at a massive disadvantage? Will I not be able to play with some people or do certain things I'll need to do in today's GW?

Anon the Felon on
    edited March 2011
    I'm thinking about getting back into this. I've lost my account, key's, and CD's so I'm just gonna re-buy it off Steam.

If I just buy the Trilogy, and not bother with EoTN...will I be at a massive disadvantage? Will I not be able to play with some people or do certain things I'll need to do in today's GW?

You will NOT be able to access EOTN contents and area.
    And thus will not benefit at all in GW2.
    Since u need EOTN for HOM to get GW2 goodies.

Maou on
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maou wrote: »

You will NOT be able to access EOTN contents and area.
    And thus will not benefit at all in GW2.
    Since u need EOTN for HOM to get GW2 goodies.

Don't feel scared off by this--I'm playing GW1 right now without any intention of playing GW2 at this stage.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited March 2011
    Don't feel scared off by this--I'm playing GW1 right now without any intention of playing GW2 at this stage.

Not to confuse others.
    GW1 and GW2 are two different games with over 90% changes in game system.

Maou on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EotN has some pretty sweet skills and whatnot, but it seems to be on sale every so often, so maybe wait for that and pick it up. It's worth a purchase, in my opinion, and has probably the second best campaign missions, and by far the most mission-like content, of any campaign.

Alecthar on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here are the update notes for today:
    Embark Beach
    • Added the Embark Beach location to the Battle Isles.
    • Added new Zaishen Vanquish quests to Embark Beach.
    Heroes
    • Mercenary Hero Slots are available for purchase from the In-Game Store and the NCsoft Store.
    • Added Mercenary Registrars to the Great Temple of Balthazar, Lion’s Arch, Kaineng Center, and Kamadan, Jewel of Istan.
    • Raised the party maximum on Heroes from three to seven.
    Pre-Searing Updates
    • New Pre-Searing quests are available from Lieutenant Langmar in Ascalon City.
    • Added Kimmes the Historian to Ascalon City.
    • Added the skills vendor Halbrik to Ascalon City.
    Title Updates
    • The Drunkard title now awards points based upon the number and strength of drinks consumed.
    • The Survivor title now awards rank based upon the most experience gained between deaths.
    UI Updates
    • Added an online status drop-down box to the character select screen.
    • Added a "Ready" status drop-down box to the party window.
    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Game_updates

More information: http://www.guildwars.com/gameplay/developer_updates/destination_embark_beach.php

Enjoy! I'll be on later trying out the 7 heroes for sure :)

Geod on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mercenary heroes is genius. When I have some spare money, my Monk, Ranger, Elementalist and Warrior are becoming mercenary heroes.

edit - Survivor and Drunk title changes are also genius. I will be playing more GW to get these, so look out for me online if you want some help with something.

-Loki- on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Sweet 7 heroes, I can probably actually do some of the higher tier content now.
    (I'm looking at you giant burning forest of death in the ebon blade area).

Morkath on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Take it like a man.

I did that burning forest with 4 badly built heroes.

-Loki- on
    edited March 2011
    Mercenary Heroes is so expensive :(
    At least we can 7 Heroes now.
    What kind of build for 7 Heroes.

Maou on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My 7-hero setup currently looks like this:

3 x Discord (2 Healers 1 Hex/Condition dealer)
    1 x Panic
    1 x Searing Flames nuke
    1 x Searing Flames/Warder hybrid
    1 x Soul Twist Earthbinder or 1 x Ranger Interrupter

It's awesome.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Serious_ScrubSerious_Scrub Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The most hilarious part of the update was seeing all the incorrigible ale-hound announcements

Serious_Scrub on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mercenary Heroes are such a cool, cool idea.

Xagar on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The most hilarious part of the update was seeing all the incorrigible ale-hound announcements

I know, damn, but I need the book for my drunken stance....I know, I'lll keep the keg for PVE and use everything from snowmen for my title!

RoyceSraphim on
    edited March 2011
    I'll be getting my ranger incorrigable alehound tonight. Only 2plat for the required alcohol, which I can spare.

-Loki- on
    edited March 2011
    Xagar wrote: »
    Mercenary Heroes are such a cool, cool idea.
    It's really smart as all hell. Not only do you get to appeal to player's ego, by putting a character they made into the game, you also answer all the people who've been clamoring for more of particular classes. It's really quite genius.

Entriech on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    My 7-hero setup currently looks like this:

3 x Discord (2 Healers 1 Hex/Condition dealer)
    1 x Panic
    1 x Searing Flames nuke
    1 x Searing Flames/Warder hybrid
    1 x Soul Twist Earthbinder or 1 x Ranger Interrupter

It's awesome.

I'm running:

3 x Discord (1 MM, 2 Heals)
    1 x Panic Mesmer
    1 x Illusion Mesmer (w/ Psychic Instability)
    1 x SoS Channeling Rit
    1 x Soul Twisting Prot Rit

Alecthar on
  • LionLion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love this update so much. It's also nice to have this thread where people like the game as opposed to certain fansites where every update murders a family member according to the reactions.

Coming up with 7 hero builds is hard though. It's really easy to fall into the trap of mashing together previous effective hero builds. I think I'm doing that right now. This is why I left it up to other guildies to come up with team builds for HA and GvG.

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
    edited March 2011
    Lion wrote: »
    I love this update so much. It's also nice to have this thread where people like the game as opposed to certain fansites where every update murders a family member according to the reactions.

Coming up with 7 hero builds is hard though. It's really easy to fall into the trap of mashing together previous effective hero builds. I think I'm doing that right now. This is why I left it up to other guildies to come up with team builds for HA and GvG.

I think that, if you're only going to run the actual heroes, and not Mercenary heroes, then to a certain extent you're always mashing up the best single hero builds together. Some builds have obvious synergies (Discord for instance) but a lot of others seem to mostly rely on having the strongest individual components and things working out from there. Sabway, for instance, is really just 3 great Necro builds put together.

Alecthar on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bring Great Dwarf Weapon

have a Ranger hero bring Barrage and various interrupts

maybe a Dervish with some whirlwind attacks

and then bring a Ritualist hero with Earthbind

and then laugh forever

Vivixenne on
    edited March 2011
    I'm running with mercs so that complicates things. I was hoping the melee AI update was going to happen with this update but then that would lead to even harder choices. Team building is hard!

Lion on
    edited March 2011
    Like an idiot, I'm working on a 7 hero build by picking out my favorite seven heroes and then looking for some complementary builds for their classes. Because.

Entriech on
    edited March 2011
    I think I will try this next:

1 x Psychic Instability Mesmer
    1 x Balthazar Dervish
    1 x Barrage Ranger
    1 x MM Bomber
    1 x Snare Ele
    2 x Healers (1 x Resto, 1 x UA)

and me bringing GDW and running a SoS/Earthbind hybrid... with a bar like SoS, Bloodsong, Vampirism, Earthbind, Pain, Shadowsong, GDW, Summon Spirits

I could also possibly put Earthbind with the Ranger or Bomber and bring Agony myself

I will let you know how this goes

Vivixenne on
    edited March 2011
    I wish we could save 7-hero configurations as templates

that would be neat

Vivixenne on
    edited March 2011
    I'd like that too. I'd feel more inclined to experiment. Also because I'd have to reconfigure bars when teaming up with people and it would be nice to easily go back to my 1 person team.

Lion on
    edited March 2011
    With the 7 hero teams, how're you guys working rezzes into your mix? I used to rely that most of the henchmen carried signets if things got bad. Then I tried vanquishing a zone with an all hero team and suddenly remembered none of us had a rez. Thoughts?

Entriech on
    edited March 2011
    3 hard rezzes should be fine. Death Pact Sig, Flesh of my Flesh, Signet of Return on a Sig Mesmer, Res Chant on a hybrid support Necro...that all works fine. If I'm VQing with a 8 man team, 3 hard rezzes are the maximum I'd bring. I also have rez scrolls on me just in case but I've never had to use them outside of elite areas.

Lion on
  • DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I kinda feel that the more useful they make the henchmen, the less I can find people willing to group up. This is almost certainly my EQ-roots (i.e., bad casual gaming design) rearing their ugly head.

What do you guys think?

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
    edited March 2011
    I kinda feel that the more useful they make the henchmen, the less I can find people willing to group up. This is almost certainly my EQ-roots (i.e., bad casual gaming design) rearing their ugly head.

What do you guys think?
    I find it refreshing. I'm not really one for grouping with random strangers in MMOs. I like that I can accomplish just about everything in the game by myself, or duoing with my wife. Will we necessarily be as efficient as a full 8 player party, coordinated over vent, who play together regularly? Probably not, but at least we're still capable of seeing the content, and achieving the rewards.

Compare and contrast with something like WoW (of which I'm a six year veteran). The only thing you can accomplish by yourself in that game is hitting the maximum level. Dungeons require 4 other people. Raiding, ostensibly the thing meant to occupy you for the 1.5 years post-expansion, requires 9 or 24 other people. And if you want to do it competently, you need to make a major time investment (generally 12 - 20 hours a week depending). And even if you do manage that, what happens when you beat it? Well you do it over and over again, ad infinitum.

Guild Wars offers me the tools to challenge myself as much as I'd like, interact with people as much as I'd like, and still be rewarded commensurately. Forced grouping is lazy design, in my opinion, and good riddance.

Entriech on
  • GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As a reminder, we'll be running Urgoz's Warren tonight. Anyone is welcome to join, you just have to have access to House Zu Heltzer in Cantha. Also need to buy a Urgoz Scroll at a trader (for like 300 gold).

Geod on
  • Reasonable HoboReasonable Hobo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the 7 heroes is a great idea especially with the advent of GW2 and people coming back to run through old-content.

I know Nightfall and EoTN will be much feasible.

For certain quests I'll definitely try to find people to team up with. I have't started any of the War on Kryta quests yet so I'll probably look for people for that line of quests. Hopefully with Embark Beach its easier to party up as well.

I'll be on tonight for Urgoz! As some of you know I only have a Monk character though.

Reasonable Hobo on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    If you make one of your guys a mercenary hero, does he get access to any skills on your account like normal heroes? Or still limited to what he himself knows?

Morkath on
    edited March 2011
    Any skills like normal heroes. They're basically heroes with custom names and armor. Though it would have been nice for them to come with dyed armor.

Lion on
    edited March 2011
    most of my characters retain their armor colour when they become mercs

only my monk's black Kurzick armor didn't come through, but her black arm and feet tats did

with a variety of 7-hero builds I have finished about 6 missions in NF in HM on my Rit in no time flat, leaving me now with 3 to go (Gates of Desolation, Blacktide Den, and Jennur's Horde)

I'm thinking I might need help with Jennur's Horde though... that mish can be a pain in the ass without a second pair of eyes

your mercs don't come with weapons of their own so let that be known

Vivixenne on
    edited March 2011
    my current 7-hero build is:

Merc Necro - Discord, Shambling Horror, Death Nova, Putrid Bile, Foul Feast, Infuse Condition, Dwayna's Sorrow, Res Chant

Olias - Discord, Shambling Horror, Reckless Haste, Parasitic Bond, Mark of Pain, Weaken Armor, Enfeebling Blood, Hex Eater Signet

Livia - Discord, Shambling Horror, Weapon of Warding, Mend Body and Soul, Spirit Light, Recuperation, Life, FomF

Whispers - Discord, Shambling Horror, Protective was Kaolai, Soothing Memories, Mend Body and Soul, Spirit Light, Rejuvenation, FomF

Merc Mesmer - Panic, Wastrel's Worry, Wastrel's Demise, Mistrust, Power Drain, Drain Enchantment, Guilt, FomF

Gwen - Psychic Instability, Wandering Eye, Clumsiness, Signet of Clumsiness, Frustration, Leech Signet, Hex Eater Signet, FomF

Merc Ele - Ward Melee, Ward Stability, Ward Elements, Churning Earth, Unsteady Ground, Ebon Hawk, Earth Attunement, FomF

Other combos I have tried:

4 x Echo SS Necros, 2 x Barrage Rangers, 1 x Rit w/ Splinter (me as SoS)
    (this can occasionally not work because sometimes the heroes will all cast SS on the same target, but you can fix this by making sure the rest of their skills are different enough that their energy is at different levels, or you can cycle them through avoid combat at the start of a fight)

3 x Searing Flame Eles, 3 x Barrage Rangers, 1 x Earthbind Resto Rit (me as SoS)

2 x Echo Ray of Judgment Monks, 1 x UA Monk, 1 x Soul Twist Earthbind, 2 x Barrage Rangers, 1 x MM (me as SoS)

1 x Panic Mesmer, 1 x Psychic Instability Mesmer, 2 x Searing Flames Eles, 1 x "They're on Fire!" SoS Paragon (this barely worked as I was just screwing around), 1 x AotL Bomber, 1 x UA (me as Resto)

All of these have been stupid fun and apart from a ridiculous choke point in Dasha Vestibule (2 x Roaring Ethers with superpowered HM Mistrust), I have not had any trouble with any of them.

Vivixenne on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    derv rework huh. i'll have to check that out. i always liked dervish, i just never felt like it was as good as other melee classes. and my hero derv was always orders.

Feldorn on
    edited March 2011
    having 4 heroes use Arcane Echo -> Spiteful Spirit is probably one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen

things glowing

constantly

Vivixenne on