As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPad] games: Ghost Trick out. First two chapters, free!

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Machismo wrote: »
    Machismo wrote: »
    Seriously, why is there no good Railroad sim game for the iPhone. Sid Meier's Railroads was such a simplified approach to it all, it should be cloned to the iphone.

Instead, Railroad Tycoon 2 for the iphone is basically Pipe Dream.

Jebus.

Is there a good railroad game for the iphone that isn't a puzzle game?

The OpenTTD guy submitted a build of it for the iPhone and was told no by the App police.

Oh, what could have been.

That one is available off Cydia, but I never learned to play it. A bit more complicated than Railroads. Does it have a tutorial?

I can't recall; the original Transport Tycoon did but not sure if they are in TTD (and TTD adds a ton of other features, too). The wiki page for the game has a ton of easy to follow tutorials, though. Once you learn how to manage trains (and it isn't all that complicated) you'll never want for another railroad sim, ever.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The next iPad is supposed to be announced today? I was just thinking today that I wanted one. This is great news if so.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    The next iPad is supposed to be announced today? I was just thinking today that I wanted one. This is great news if so.

See iPad thread for info, or the ArsTechnica liveblog for everything.

admanb on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I never had any problems with Tiny Wings. Burned through all of the objectives pretty quick. Pretty damn addictive, but I guess it depends on how much more I keep playing it now just for a high score.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »

£4?

It was £2.99 on the day it launched, least that's what's on my itunes receipt.

Did they up it after that?

Sorry, I don't know where I got that from. Edited it.

Lave II on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Hunters was pretty cool until it started crashing every time I tried to continue past the end-of-mission screen. Sure wish I hadn't paid for it!

Fix incoming I read on the TA forums.

I like Hunters, so far I have re-named my team (Hicks, Hudson, Frost, Crowe and Drake, just need a 6th for Vasquez). :^:

That's good. I'll definitely give it another try when the patch hits, but at the moment I cannot recommend anyone pay for it.

admanb on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So. Infinity Blade updated.

Is there some point I should stop putting points into my stat... points? Like is there an accepted max for Magic or Defense? (I'm assuming you'd want to pump Attack and Life as much as possible.)

ringswraith on
  • Options
    DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So. Infinity Blade updated.

Is there some point I should stop putting points into my stat... points? Like is there an accepted max for Magic or Defense? (I'm assuming you'd want to pump Attack and Life as much as possible.)

Defense scales rather poorly with player skill (i.e., dodging and parrying)... So, I would avoid Defense if possible.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Good point.

What about magic?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good point.

What about magic?

Magic is useful. See, some later skills are powerful healing skills. With a high enough points, you can fully heal and keep fighting. It might be as important as attack or health, IMO.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok, that tells me I can split my points into those three. Thanks! :)

ringswraith on
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to go on record and say that Dungeon Raid is the best iPhone game I've ever played.

I might start having Spikey nightmares soon.

Melkster on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I guess Out Of This World a.k.a. Another World is coming to iOS?

That is excellent news.

zilo on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fuck, the new guy in the left door in the pit in infinity blade is wrecking me in one hit.

Maybe I should just make a new guy so everything isn't so over leveled.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    FukatronFukatron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    It's a great game, but I hope some optimizations are coming down the pipe soon.

Are you kidding?

It's a mere buck. That's a bit too much to ask, especially when you realize what kind of heavy optimization is required to improve battery life.

Fukatron on
    fukasig.png
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The new Jeff Minter game, Mintron, came out yesterday. It's a remake of his game Llamatron, which is a take on Robotron. It is great and you should buy it for only $2.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    The new Jeff Minter game, Mintron, came out yesterday. It's a remake of his game Llamatron, which is a take on Robotron. It is great and you should buy it for only $2.

Excellent. Picking this up right away if it'll run on a first gen. I think I've already mentioned my love of Llamatron in this thread.

Fake Edit: Aw shoot, it won't.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fuck, the new guy in the left door in the pit in infinity blade is wrecking me in one hit.

Maybe I should just make a new guy so everything isn't so over leveled.

Did you allocate your level-up points? Looks like the update refunded all points, and you need to reallocate them (I didn't realize this for a few fights).

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    More interesting details on Sword & Sworcery EP. TouchArcade is promising hands-on details with the final release next week, which hopefully means it'll be available pretty soon. <3

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i got infinity blade because cheap

i have all my points in attack and i'm using a lifesteal sword, this game is fun

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited March 2011

i have all my points in attack and i'm using a lifesteal sword, this game is fun

Yeah, with combos and dodges, high attack is awesomely fun.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tommatt wrote: »
    It was mentioned briefly in the last thread, but cover orange is a pretty solid game. You have one or multiple oranges on an environment, and a set order of pieces to drop to help protect them from the rain cloud that will come by after you use your last piece. These are wheels, boxes, barrels, and triangles.

I got it when it was free bur I'm guessing it's a $1 and it's
    Pretty solid. 100 levels initially (just finished) and I believe they added 20 more

This got bottomed. Is a really fun little puzzle game

Tommatt on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ok, so I downloaded the new Infinity Blade update, managed to kill all 3 Deathless, and now I entered through the big ass door
    JESUS CHRIST ZERO MECH WHAT THE FUCK

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How do you New Game+ in Infinity Blade?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

i do wish there was more of it

the engine is able to be licensed by developers right? i wanna see a true rpg with this engine

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Where the fuck is Final Fantasy Tatics? I needs it.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

i do wish there was more of it

the engine is able to be licensed by developers right? i wanna see a true rpg with this engine

I would actually be quite pleased with even a longer, more robust 'Story Mode' as purchasable content (to pay for the added expense).

Would anyone else?

DrHookenstein on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't hit any new content yet, but loading I had left Infinity Blade facing a level 300 (I think) God King and whacking the dodge buttons up to max size made a world of difference.

The update note was worded slightly confusingly, were they saying you need to go new game+ for some unlocks?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The update notes mention a ton of new items, but I didn't see anything new.

The holiday helm design changed since I last played, from a metal Santa head to a gold faceplate with a cherub on top. I liked the metal Santa head. :(

Renzo on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are two ways to get to the new stuff in infinity blade

1. A well at the beginning before you enter the castle. You first go through a little dungeon area with two new guys who are standard level. Then you get to the room with the pedestal that's activated by the infinity blade.

2. Right before the elevator that takes you up to the god king, you can choose to jump into the pit. The pit takes you straight to the infinity blade pedestal.

The guys you fight in the pit are pretty hard. I gave up on leveling the lower level new items and switched back to my strongest gear and managed to beat 2 out of the 3 of them. The one guy in golden armor in the left door still smacks the shit out of me though.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Found the new content:
    I had never bothered with the cash grind to the Infinity blade before. Guess I'd best make a start on that then!

Also it seems that the new path has added an infinite loop of fights to the castle if you so desire.
    From the lift up to the throne room just keep descending and ascending the stairs to the dungeon.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    How do you New Game+ in Infinity Blade?

Google says you get the option after beating the new content. I'm also reading that you should really be sure before you do it as it could also be labelled super hard mode and you keep stats but lose all your gear and cash. If you haven't been dumping lots of stat points in attack then just beating the first fight with your crappy starter sword is apparently a rather epic slog.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Word Fighter hands-on at GDC
    Here at GDC 2011 I sat down with Gian Cruz from Feel Every Yummy to check out their new game WordFighter. Basically WordFighter is a word game like Boggle or Scrabble with an added fighting game component layered on top. Players will “fight” each other by creating words from a 5×5 grid of letters over 3 timed rounds. Each letter has a point value and the total value of created words determines the damage dished out to your opponent. As you create more words you’ll earn special bonuses to use which vary amongst the planned 6 characters. These will either heighten your own offensive exploits by giving your increased damage or make things harder for your opponent’s endeavors by mixing up the game board or forcing them to spell words backwards.

The concept works incredibly well even in this pre-alpha version of WordFighter. The plan is to offer typical local multiplayer options, same device multiplayer on the iPad, and online multiplayer for all versions in both real-time and asynchronous turn-based fashion similar to Words With Friends [$2.99/Lite/HD]. Eventually an Android version of the game will allow for cross-platform play between iOS and Android users. The same device iPad multiplayer is especially fun as you’re literally elbow-to-elbow with your opponent frantically making words and dealing damage to each other, as you can see in the following video.

This looks cool—I've been waiting for something to scratch that Bookworm Adventures kind of itch, but nothing I've tried has done it (sidenote: Why hasn't PopCap just ported BA?). I tried a game called Word Warrior that was close, but it felt too twitchy since it was all real-time; a future update promised turn-based play, but I don't know if it ever came out or not. The asynchronous multiplayer in this Word Fighter is what appeals to me—I love that shit in Words with Friends.

By the by, I'm getting back into playing Words with Friends, so if anyone wants a game, I'm "Lunker HD." :D

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    PopCap are jerks. They haven't ported Bookworm Adventures and neither Bejeweled nor Peggle have iPad versions.

JERKS.

admanb on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Where the fuck is Final Fantasy Tatics? I needs it.

Only if they have polished the UI from the early preview screenshots... otherwise, I hope they will keep working on it...

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ... Does anyone want to buy a mostly-new iPad? :P

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aralon was updated, by the way -- The interface is now supposedly optimized for iPad interface and there's also a new character class.

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Those new Infinity Blade guys sure don't fuck around. Ouch.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Aralon was updated, by the way -- The interface is now supposedly optimized for iPad interface and there's also a new character class.

yeah, i downloaded the update and saw the inventory screens; it was much better

however, i sold my ipad today, so i didn't get to test the paladin yet... i kind of want to play aralon now

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Picked up Infinity Blade on Friday when it first went on sale. Fun little game. Just beat the god-king on my 6th bloodline. It helped that the chest in front of him gave me a set of Plate Armor.

Ceno on
This discussion has been closed.